Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Beastmen get Gorth - ahahahahahahaa no. Nobody cares about beastmen.

The Beastmen's saving grace will probably be that in TW terms they're basically a barbarian army, and those tend to be pretty effective and fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mans posted:

confirm all the mods you two might be running.

I linked him to Reduced Agent Usage and Guaranteed Empires. All his other mods are textures.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I want to see Thanquol as a playable lord that, in any major battle, will cause something hosed up to happen on the cusp of a Skaven victory to send it all crashing down.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Honestly of all the things they can add I just really want the Tomb Kings & Settra

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

8bitlawd posted:

Honestly of all the things they can add I just really want the Tomb Kings & Settra

I know it won't happen but I'd love to see a Sehenesmet list in WTW :skeltal:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Kaza42 posted:

Skaven get Thanquol first of all, of course, and probably Skreech Verminking. Third lord, I'm not sure (not that familiar with Skaven). Maybe Skrolk to get your plague monk on? Someone else cover this.

Going to say I am not a fan of Thanquol as an actual faction lead. I'd actually go with a Clan Skryre superior like Ikit Claw (who runs the line between pure magician and crazy-rear end engineer the way only Skaven can), and have Thanquol as his own faction almost. Everything I've seen him do in fiction is apart from the main Skaven push.

Persoanlly I'd be up for Ikit Claw (as above, is a crazy Skaven mix of magician and engineer), Throt the Unclean (one of the most influential masters of flesh crafting Clan Moulder), Deathmaster Snikch (Foremost assassin of all Skaven assassins of Clan Eshin) and Lord Skrolk (the dankest Plague Monk of Clan Pestilens), as the Skaven reps. One for each main clan.

vvv: Done and done.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 6, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If ya'll gonna' talk about characters important enough you'd consider them for Legendary Lord positions at least post why

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Kaza42 posted:

Nagash is not quite that powerful, but it still a significant step up from the other legendary lords people can choose from

Nagash was what like 450 points or something? An elf on a dragon was at least that much too right? And some greater deamons are 600+ points. A greater deamon of khorne would eat him for breakfast iirc.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Going to say I am not a fan of Thanquol as an actual faction lead. I'd actually go with a Clan Skryre superior like Ikit Claw (who runs the line between pure magician and crazy-rear end engineer the way only Skaven can), and have Thanquol as his own faction almost. Everything I've seen him do in fiction is apart from the main Skaven push.

Persoanlly I'd be up for Ikit Claw (as above, is a crazy Skaven mix of magician and engineer), Throt the Unclean (one of the most influential masters of flesh crafting Clan Moulder), Deathmaster Snikch (Foremost assassin of all Skaven assassins of Clan Eshin) and Lord Skrolk (the dankest Plague Monk of Clan Pestilens), as the Skaven reps. One for each main clan.

vvv: Done and done.

Deathmaster Snikch was the most popular dude when I used to play, but he's not really a legendary lord, just an amazing guy to put in your army to murder enemy lords with.

Washout fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 6, 2016

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, for the first, 'default' Skaven campaign, I can see:

1: Deathmaster Snikch or hell, Nightlord Sneek himself as their 'martial' leader. True, the terms 'martial' and 'Skaven' don't exactly go well together, but they would be a fine example of what counts in physical Skaven lethality- plenty of stealth, maneuvering and spike damage delivered as soon as possible. You won't want them or their troops fighting in a prolonged close combat, but they should be able to take down lesser heroes quickly, and escape more powerful Lords easily.

2: Ikit Claw as the mage/warrior hybrid. Maybe even switching between the two at random, thanks to the reliability of Clan Skryre's inventions :v: This should be the flagship character for the Skaven as a whole, showing off just how powerful and unreliable their tech is, with plenty of crazy and DOOOMWHEEEELS to go around, with a focus mainly on ranged combat. Seriously, I'm not sure how you can properly introduce the Skaven without a healthy helping of Clan Skryre's madness, as their technological mastery and mismanagement is part of what makes the Skaven so fun to play. The other part is...

3: Grey Seer Thanquol, the mainline mage character. Apart from obvious name recognition, Thanquol can also illustrate the Skaven social system- just because he's a member of a special caste, doesn't mean he's safe. While I suppose that gamewise, he'd simply be a slightly tougher spellcaster thanks to Boneripper, his campaign should be the most Skaven in tone, with glorious genius plans coming to fruition, only to be foiled by backstabbings from jealous traitors at every turn. Get some good writers (bring back CL Werner!), and this could be a laugh riot that you wouldn't mind losing.

That last bit is what really gives the Skaven their charm, and what I hope CA manages to get across- that it really is fun even to lose, and not just in the Dwarf Fortress sense.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Washout posted:

Deathmaster Snikch was the most popular dude when I used to play, but he's not really a legendary lord, just an amazing guy to put in your army to murder enemy lords with.

He's like, the right paw of the Murderlord. Why go to war yourself when you can use your most reliable functionary. It's the most Skaven and Eshin thing.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Washout posted:

Nagash was what like 450 points or something? An elf on a dragon was at least that much too right? And some greater deamons are 600+ points. A greater deamon of khorne would eat him for breakfast iirc.

Nagash could handle a bloodthirster pretty handily. If he wasn't able to kill it in the hand to hand phase he'd just melt it in the magic phase. Meanwhile he'd be able to save the majority of hits it landed while also healing up.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, for the first, 'default' Skaven campaign, I can see:

1: Deathmaster Snikch or hell, Nightlord Sneek himself as their 'martial' leader. True, the terms 'martial' and 'Skaven' don't exactly go well together, but they would be a fine example of what counts in physical Skaven lethality- plenty of stealth, maneuvering and spike damage delivered as soon as possible. You won't want them or their troops fighting in a prolonged close combat, but they should be able to take down lesser heroes quickly, and escape more powerful Lords easily.

2: Ikit Claw as the mage/warrior hybrid. Maybe even switching between the two at random, thanks to the reliability of Clan Skryre's inventions :v: This should be the flagship character for the Skaven as a whole, showing off just how powerful and unreliable their tech is, with plenty of crazy and DOOOMWHEEEELS to go around, with a focus mainly on ranged combat. Seriously, I'm not sure how you can properly introduce the Skaven without a healthy helping of Clan Skryre's madness, as their technological mastery and mismanagement is part of what makes the Skaven so fun to play. The other part is...

3: Grey Seer Thanquol, the mainline mage character. Apart from obvious name recognition, Thanquol can also illustrate the Skaven social system- just because he's a member of a special caste, doesn't mean he's safe. While I suppose that gamewise, he'd simply be a slightly tougher spellcaster thanks to Boneripper, his campaign should be the most Skaven in tone, with glorious genius plans coming to fruition, only to be foiled by backstabbings from jealous traitors at every turn. Get some good writers (bring back CL Werner!), and this could be a laugh riot that you wouldn't mind losing.

That last bit is what really gives the Skaven their charm, and what I hope CA manages to get across- that it really is fun even to lose, and not just in the Dwarf Fortress sense.

Eh, isn't Queek Headtaker more appropriate as the "martial" leader?
He is after all an actual general/warlord.
Snikch is as far as I remember just a special character and not a warlord.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

lilspooky posted:

Nagash could handle a bloodthirster pretty handily. If he wasn't able to kill it in the hand to hand phase he'd just melt it in the magic phase. Meanwhile he'd be able to save the majority of hits it landed while also healing up.

Nagash has always been a monster, both in magic and hand to hand combat, also, back in 4th edition, it had one of the worst models ever made by GW.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Is there a dwarf character that lobs lots of explosives everywhere or rides some pimped out gyro-copter? Or both at the same time? I want to play that guy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Babe Magnet posted:

If ya'll gonna' talk about characters important enough you'd consider them for Legendary Lord positions at least post why
Next thing you're going to ask people to not throw out tabletop stats like "strength 5" as if everyone knows exactly how strong that is.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Angry Lobster posted:

Nagash has always been a monster, both in magic and hand to hand combat, also, back in 4th edition, it had one of the worst models ever made by GW.

Such a model that gloried in its hideousness. My brother loved that thing. Also is there a named Verminlord? Either way, I can't wait to possibly see one of those bad boys on the field.

Edit: Oh my god, the End Times Verminlord model is nuts. When I played they looked like this:

Now they look like this:

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
On my recommended Youtube viewing: "The Dwarf and Vampire alliance and why its completely absurd!" Twenty three minutes.

its violating my canonnnn-!!! *melts into pile of goo*

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tiler Kiwi posted:

On my recommended Youtube viewing: "The Dwarf and Vampire alliance and why its completely absurd!" Twenty three minutes.

Youtube keeps trying to make me watch that one.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

lilspooky posted:

They could hopefully add Grom the Paunch of Misty Mountain as a gobbo LL.

Grom would be better off being added with the High Elves, since his personal quest would likely involve sailing over to them to give them a good kicking.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Kokoro Wish posted:

Oh my god, the End Times Verminlord model is nuts. When I played they looked like this:

Games Workshop models are seriously amazing. Shame the company blows.

After getting burnt hard on Rome 2 I was cautious about this game, but it looks drat good so far. Fingers crossed.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever posted rants like that about other unlikely alliances in historical Total Wars.

The Kievan Rus would never ally with Fatimid Egypt and here is a two hour video explaining why!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
All of this talk about what content to add is inherently wrong because it doesn't start and end with Dogs of War. You can't deny it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

All of this talk about what content to add is inherently wrong because it doesn't start and end with Dogs of War. You can't deny it.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The total war precedent has been that mercenaries exist to be thrown away so you don't pay for their upkeep. There's only a handful of unique units that are worth keeping alive, excluding things like hiring hoplites as rome (because why not), elephants as a non-elephant faction or artillery because you didn't bring any.

Dogs of war belong in a setting like mount and blade where they can shop around for contracts rather than be a novelty hidden amongst a dozen stacks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you're not keeping a unit of war dogs in every army you're not playing rome 2 in good faith.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Reading the last few pages I can't help but feel that the Skaven would be a lot more menacing if their leaders didn't have names that sound like ones someone would give their pet rat.

"Who's an Ikit little Claw? Yes youse is! :3:"

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
That's what makes them the bestest-good. Yes-yes!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Delacroix posted:

The total war precedent has been that mercenaries exist to be thrown away so you don't pay for their upkeep. There's only a handful of unique units that are worth keeping alive, excluding things like hiring hoplites as rome (because why not), elephants as a non-elephant faction or artillery because you didn't bring any.

Dogs of war belong in a setting like mount and blade where they can shop around for contracts rather than be a novelty hidden amongst a dozen stacks.

By attilla, they're not that much more in terms of upkeep. Using them is pretty much totally viable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Skaven sphere of influence should not show up on your map and your advisors should never mention them at all.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mordja posted:

Reading the last few pages I can't help but feel that the Skaven would be a lot more menacing if their leaders didn't have names that sound like ones someone would give their pet rat.

"Who's an Ikit little Claw? Yes youse is! :3:"

Yes-yes, man-thing! Skaven are cute! Skaven are safe-safe! Skaven will never harm good human, yesss...

*Cue Skaven whipping out warplock pistol and blowing himself up*

*Cue other Skaven hiding in the shadows, scheming madly to turn this into an advantage*

*Cue third Skaven already running back to Skavenblight, eager to tell of the first Skaven's failure, the second Skaven's cowardice, and of his own sworn duty to report all that happened to his genius masters, yes-yes!*

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

my dad posted:

Youtube keeps trying to make me watch that one.

it's bad and hits on a pet peeve of mine, which is the general response to counterfactuals by going "x would never happen! no y would support it! if someone did support it, then all other y would oppose them!"

oddly enough it comes up a lot more when discussing fiction than actual history.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Skaven could be awesome with the civil war mechanics added sometime post release to Rome 2. I've recently came back to R2 after burning out on Attila. It used to be that some stacks spawn somewhere and usually take one province. Then AI bumbles idiotically as you run your battle hardened stacks to contain them.

Not anymore! Half of my stacks went to the other side, so did almost half of provinces! I only wish the whole provinces did that as now it looks random. I've stayed republican, so it might happen again too.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xthetenth posted:

By attilla, they're not that much more in terms of upkeep. Using them is pretty much totally viable.

that's because in Attila units are so expensive you just disband half your army after a battle anyways (the majority units' cost is the same as one turn of upkeep)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Periphery posted:

Is there a dwarf character that lobs lots of explosives everywhere or rides some pimped out gyro-copter? Or both at the same time? I want to play that guy.

No Gyrocopter Lords, but there is Malakai Makaisson. He's an engineer that took the Slayer Oath after his ironclad Unsinkable sank on its maiden voyage and his airship Undestructible exploded during its first flight. Like Thanquol he originally appeared in the Gotrek & Felix books and helps them out by building another airship he wanted to name Indefatigable, but was convinced to change it to Spirit of Grungni.

He was given rules in Dogs of War, and he came with this badass axe-throwing machine called the Goblin Hewer.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it's bad and hits on a pet peeve of mine, which is the general response to counterfactuals by going "x would never happen! no y would support it! if someone did support it, then all other y would oppose them!"

oddly enough it comes up a lot more when discussing fiction than actual history.

It is of course an Arch Warhammer video and yes i am also being pestered by YouTube to watch it.

Ive not, but the only thing i can think of when i see it is "Gee, its almost as if CA wants to make a game first or something Arch."

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp4eMyQnSCU

New Slayers Guide

Previews have been pretty thin on the ground this week. I think partially because they've got another event on Saturday (Siege Presentation, apparently) and mostly because they're starting to run out of stuff to show off that isn't Chaos.

Also, this whole thing with people making a bunch of rant videos about a game that isn't even out is the dumbest thing. They don't have nearly enough information to make any kind of informed criticism and get completely contradicted by additional info within days usually.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 6, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

It's so bouncy :3:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Vampires and Varghulfs need to be faster :reject:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
If you really want, apparently you can see the slideshow version of their Siege/AI presentation. (video is members only.)

http://gdcvault.com/play/1023038/Have-Fun-Storming-the-Castle

It's what they were showing at GDC and will be streaming from an event on Sat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Delacroix posted:

I think Dogs of War could fit into a Total War game, but it would either be as it's own faction (so basically Tilea), or a version of the way they do it in Dominions, where there's a global mercenaries pool and anyone can bid on a regiment. Highest bidder gets the regiment for a set time, and then it returns to the pool.

• Locked thread