Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DR650's are a bulletproof bike that can easily inhale highway miles, as well as hit the trails and go offroading. Enough power to do whatever. Good at everything, perfect at nothing. See also: Honda XR650L, another bike that sells for more than its specs say it should and is insanely reliable.

They are really REALLY good bikes, like "take them around the world on the same change of oil" type of bikes. There is a reason they hold their value and a reason that the only time they sell for cheap is if theyve been crashed beyond belief or been involved in a garage fire or something crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Yes thats exactly why i want one, but it's annoying to have to either buy new, fly to CA or FL, or pay 4000 for a 15 year old dirt bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Renaissance Robot posted:

Does the kickstand go that wide as standard, or is it some kind of mod? Cause :drat: that thing looks waaaaay out there

Buell requires extra outside support, otherwise they collapse.

RDB- Don't get some fancy KTM for your first bike. Stop talking about your prius. Seriously just get the best KLR/DR650 for 2k+- and run it until you figure out what bike you really want (supermoto). Plastidip it whatever color you like to hide the ugly.

All of that said, the first bike I thought of reading your post was the VSTROM 650. Cheap and plentiful, and will do everything you want and more.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My spouse picked up a 07 dr650 with 30 thousand miles for 4grand.... they're something alright.
He involuntarily put a 790cc kit and a new head on it after it swallowed a valve.

klr vs dr? DR. its marginally less of a pig to right when you dump it in the dirt.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah, I think I am going to look at the $2700 one in Louisville and stop at the motorcycle superstore outlet for a helmet/jacket/gloves. I think given my size it's going to be hard to find stuff that fits.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
My impression looking at DR vs KLR is the KLR is easier out of the box for commuting. After owning a DRZ, I'd have to add in the cost of a larger tank right off the bat if I were to buy another or a DR. Nothing sucks more than having to fill up every 100 miles, it's always on your mind. Also I don't know how the DR seat compares but the DRZ seat was the most uncomfortable thing ever.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I would also look at advrider for a dr or a klr (probably needs login to see classifieds) because you can buy one from an old man who "was totally going to ride around the world" but... He didn't.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Just bought a 2008 KLR 650. It was someone's baby, very well cared for. I probably paid $500 too much but a fool and money...

I won't be able to ride until I get it registered and insured but I am super excited. Thanks everyone.

I made a deal with my wife that if I can go all summer, get my license and not die then I can upgrade in the fall. So the 1190 adventure r will have to wait.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

^^^^^dont discount the Klr, I'm betting you'll like it

The dr is not very comparable to the Drz, much in the same way that the Klr and the Drz are not very comparable

Different bikes for different purposes

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Digital_Jesus posted:

I mean if you feel like paying 2x what a bieks worth just because you've "Never seen one that low" then whatevers dude. Go nuts.

Even if the thing is in literal mint condition 32k miles is still almost five times the expected accumulated mileage on a 2013 with an approximate trade value of $4900.

Theres no way in hell I'd pay $4.5k for that bike.

I didn't say I wanted to pay that much? Did I say I wanted to pay that much? I don't remember typing that. I just said I think the price you threw out there was low.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'd never pay that much for a 690 duke because every duke in the world is an SMC that never got created and thus is an abomination.

edit: I don't mean the SD, obviously.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5489626666.html

Yeah or nah? I've wanted a dualsport for forever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nice! DR supremacy.

Those have the 3 piece swing arm like the 350's I think. This is normally not anything to think about, but people put spacers in them to run crazy wide wheels, so look for that. RM wheels are a common mod on the 350's, not sure about the 250's.

The spacers themselves are not necessarily bad, it's the usual caveat that the average joe will probably gently caress up the install of any aftermarket part.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coydog posted:

I'd never pay that much for a 690 duke because every duke in the world is an SMC that never got created and thus is an abomination.

edit: I don't mean the SD, obviously.

But... I like the 690 Duke. :( I mean, you're not wrong, but still.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Lowering links for the dr250 are cheap, only like 75 bux

Just sayin'

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
That thing looks fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5489626666.html

Seems a bit overpriced but not terribly so given the mods and that it appears to be in good condition.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

M42 posted:

That is set up pretty nice, by someone who knows what's good and what isn't. Not sure about the headlight situation, but the rest is pretty good. I'd ride and terribly abuse it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Moving interstate in Australia, I have a 98 Kawasaki ER5, it'll cost about $700 to freight it there and im thinking its better to sell it and buy another.

I'm moving to Canberra so its not going to need the highway legs unless I ride to sydney.

Has anyone had any experience or anything to say about Braaap bikes?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

They're Craaap cheap Chinese pieces of poo poo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kommando posted:

Braaap bikes?

Don't.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is that a brand?!

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Kommando posted:

Moving interstate in Australia, I have a 98 Kawasaki ER5, it'll cost about $700 to freight it there and im thinking its better to sell it and buy another.

I'm moving to Canberra so its not going to need the highway legs unless I ride to sydney.

There's some great fast, sweeping roads in the hills around Canberra and a strong second hand market for bikes that have scared their public servant owners and are subsequently on the market crazy cheap, so I say you can do way better than a Braaap.

e: Yeah, sell and buy locally. No shortage of good deals around the ACT.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kommando posted:

Can we just change the thread title to "Unless it's a major name in the automotive and bike world, assume it's garbage from China"

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

thanks goons.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can we just change the thread title to "Unless it's a major name in the automotive and bike world, assume it's garbage from China"
This is what I tell customers looking for scooters. I leave out the China part because I don't want to tiptoe towards racism, but I tell them don't buy anything you haven't heard the name of before.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is what I tell customers looking for scooters. I leave out the China part because I don't want to tiptoe towards racism, but I tell them don't buy anything you haven't heard the name of before.

Besides, there's plenty of korean garbage out there too!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

Besides, there's plenty of korean garbage out there too!

Hey, man, the Ryugyong 105 is probably the best bike in the world right now. It makes 280 bhp, and can hit just over 300 mph. It's also the most beautiful bike in the world.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

but...but...electric dirt bike!

Laplacean Demon
Jan 20, 2004

A good friend of mine is looking to sell is '09 FZ6R, and I'm looking to buy my first motorcycle. I've taken the basic rider course and purchased some gear. I went to take a look at it, and took it for a test ride, but I'm left with a few concerns and would really like input from people with some experience.

The bike only has 3500 miles. In the last four years, its been ridden about 300 miles. When we started it up, it spit out exhaust that clearly had a blue tint to it. This continued for about five minutes as it warmed up, but seemed to subside once it was warmed up and ridden. I asked about oil changes, and its only had two oil changes done.

I have no idea if the blue exhaust is just due to it basically sitting for four years, or if it has to do with the lack of oil changes and if it could indicate some damage. The bike also has the original tires on it, so those are going to have to go.

On the bright side its been kept indoors, but what are some other common things I should lookout for on a bike that's been mostly inactive for some time? Should the blue exhaust and the lack of oil changes concern me as much as it does (it does).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FZ6R is not the best choice for your first bike. Not the worst, either, but still somewhat bigger and more powerful than is ideal to learn on. It'd be a good second bike.

3500 miles and 2 oil changes is about right, and if the blue smoke went away and didn't come back immediately on the next startup it's probably fine. Just the result of sitting around. I'd be a little concerned about seals and stuff drying out over the last four years, but given that it's an '09 and not a 1970s barn bike I doubt there will be major problems,

To do: change oil + filter, new tires, new chain if the existing one is rusty or binding (unlikely that it's worn out, so if it still works right it could stay), flush brake (and clutch?) fluid. Pads are probably fine but inspect to be sure. Get a new battery, too, but if you fired it up that might already be done. Also do everything else in the Yamaha service manual up to 3500 miles, assuming that none of it has been done yet. Check chain tension etc.

But don't get it as your first bike. Get a Ninja 250.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

But don't get it as your first bike. Get a Ninja 250.

Seriously, heed these words. You'll thank yourself, and love the EX250. 8k and 8 months later, and it's still awesome every day... as the third bike I've purchased. As a first bike, I'd have saved so much time and trouble, and probably still have it.

There is nothing wrong with that bike, or the SV I had as my first bike, but you'll enjoy a smaller lighter bike so much more.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

But I see this Baotian brand everywhere! :downs:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Buy the FZ6R and tell these 250 riding nerds to get a real biek. Take it to a reputable bike mechanic that does Yamahurr and have them do a full go-over of the bike and whatever the service manual says shoud be done for the first interval again.

Then enjoy going fast yo. (Dont hit trees)

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 7, 2016

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Does the FZ6R have different power modes? I vote just get it and put it in Rain mode or w/e until you're used to it. Take it easy, you'll be fine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
65 horsepower and no torque at all, you'll be fine on it. People get SV650s as first bikes all the drat time.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Why do modern 5/600s look so fuckin tiny compared to same displacement bikes from the 90s? I'm looking at pictures of people sat on FZ6Rs and it looks like a 300 or something.

Maybe the top few pictures are just of big dudes though, idk

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 7, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Fz6r is a cool bike that I think fits all my potential needs. Has revs, is Japanese, semi upright seating, low seat, not bananas fast but can move. Assuming it's pretty reliable. Light.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Why do modern 5/600s look so fuckin tiny compared to same displacement bikes from the 90s? I'm looking at pictures of people sat on FZ6Rs and it looks like a 300 or something.

Maybe the top few pictures are just of big dudes though, idk

Bikes generally have got ridiculously tinier since the 90s. Park a modern litrebike next to any 600/750 from the 90s and it'll look like a toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laplacean Demon
Jan 20, 2004

Thanks for the thoughts on the ft6r. If I can talk them down a bit to offset the tire cost, I think I'll go for it. I was concerned at first about the size/power compared to a 250/300, but it actually felt nice on the test ride.