Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Nothing wrong with the message, but drat that's an ugly image.

I'm still amazed how many people don't know how to properly save or post an image.
They always end up looking like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I still literally don't know what you do to have that happen accidentally.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Download and re-upload a jpeg through an 80% compression filter 100+ times and you'll probably start getting something that looks like that.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Scathach posted:

Evry time I see a person with tons of dad/mom quotes, I assume that person totally defines themselves by their kids and just generally being a parent.

Or they went through a divorce and didn't get custody

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

goose fleet posted:

Or they went through a divorce and didn't get custody

God, now I have this image of a divorced guy posting online with a tear running down his cheek. "I miss being call Dad..... :emo:"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Admiral Joeslop posted:

God damned communists :commissar:

I love the person asking "if everyone stopped smoking how would they get tobacco tax revenue?" as if there are no major outstanding societal costs from tobacco consumption.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

I love the person asking "if everyone stopped smoking how would they get tobacco tax revenue?" as if there are no major outstanding societal costs from tobacco consumption.

Anybody who knows anything also knows that states that want easy stupid taxes just pushes lotto.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Otisburg posted:

I know someone personally who was certified to teach history at the high school level who did not know who the principle belligerents of World War II were, as far as naming them and correctly lining them up on Team Axis and Team Allies.

I'm not talking about the names of generals and cabinet members or the dates of battles or the political situation in every minor power or relative minutia, I'm talking the Big Five.

You made me nervous about my knowledge.

US, UK, Germany, Italy, and Japan, correct? :ohdear:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anybody who knows anything also knows that states that want easy stupid taxes just pushes lotto.

But someone has to win the prize! :downs:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

RFC2324 posted:

I mean, I dunno which big 5 he was referring to, but Russia was pretty huge. I mean, they suffered 50 times the casualties than either the US or the UK fighting against Germany.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

trapped mouse posted:

I mean, I dunno which big 5 he was referring to, but Russia was pretty huge. I mean, they suffered 50 times the casualties than either the US or the UK fighting against Germany.

But they are commies so they don't count :colbert:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

RFC2324 posted:

I would usually say Germany, UK, Russia, Italy and Japan. The US didn't really enter until later on.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

trapped mouse posted:

Now I've heard some bold claims about Irish oppression, not all of them false. This is the worst one I've ever seen. Really buddy? ANY other race? Black people and Native Americans have always had it easier than the Irish? Not sure I 100% agree with your police work there Lou.

It almost seems like it's a troll image, but people are actually taking it seriously. Unbelievable. How could anyone with even the most basic understanding of US History possible think this?

Without even getting into a stupid "FACE OFF: Who was more Oppressed!!?!?!" thing the two situations are just so wildly different both historically and in their modern day effects that it's a ridiculous comparison.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

cash crab posted:

I would usually say Germany, UK, Russia, Italy and Japan. The US didn't really enter until later on.

The war would have never ended if the US didn't show up to win it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

cash crab posted:

Neither did Russia, really. Maybe France?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Apparently the Big Five refers to the major world powers as of immediately after WWII, namely Great Britain, France, the USSR, the USA and China.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Neither did Russia, really. Maybe France?

I think the take away here is that, if you aren't a history buff, even major events like WWII can be a bit hazy, since so much of who a 'main' belligerent is can be influenced by opinion, and most of this learned about this, then rarely think about it in detail again, many years ago. Been more than 20 since I had to know anything about it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So someone mocked a guy for not knowing the Big Five.

At which point we get 4 different definitions for Big Five.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

RFC2324 posted:

I think the take away here is that, if you aren't a history buff, even major events like WWII can be a bit hazy, since so much of who a 'main' belligerent is can be influenced by opinion, and most of this learned about this, then rarely think about it in detail again, many years ago. Been more than 20 since I had to know anything about it.
______________/

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

France, Germany, UK, US, Russia is the correct answer. The PTO was basically just US/China/Australia vs Japan. France, Germany, UK, US, and Russia were the major players of the ETO, which is usually what people mean when they talk about WW2.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

I hate to be that guy but its technically the big 4.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

Someone mocked a history teacher, to be clear.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always thought it was Allies = UK/France/USA (who only came later on) + a whole host of other nations who were there out of loyalty vs. the Axis = Germany/Italy/Japan. The USSR showed up a little later on when Hitler decided to invade, otherwise they were all too happy just trying to take over Finland while a loving world war was going on.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

According to the board game Axis & Allies, it was USA, UK, and Russia vs Germany and Japan.

Later editions don't count.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Madkal posted:

I always thought it was Allies = UK/France/USA (who only came later on) + a whole host of other nations who were there out of loyalty vs. the Axis = Germany/Italy/Japan. The USSR showed up a little later on when Hitler decided to invade, otherwise they were all too happy just trying to take over Finland while a loving world war was going on.

Those were the big players in the European theater. But there were tons of countries that fought, which is why its called a world war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allies_of_World_War_II
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_powers

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Madkal posted:

Mostly correct, but France was "the free French forces" until Normandy, when France proper was liberated. Also, the Axis had some minor countries with fascist governments on their side (Romania, for example).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Madkal posted:

The Red Army was actively modernizing in 1939-1941. It's not that they were happy to ignore a world war, it's that they wanted to buy as much time as possible to be in a good shape when they did get drawn in.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Solice Kirsk posted:

Those were the big players in the European theater. But there were tons of countries that fought, which is why its called a world war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allies_of_World_War_II
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_powers

Yea, I was just referring to what I thought the guy meant about the "Big 5". Why I mentioned whole host of other countries involved either due to loyalty (like pretty much every commonwealth country) or because they had no choice.

Mikl posted:

Mostly correct, but France was "the free French forces" until Normandy, when France proper was liberated. Also, the Axis had some minor countries with fascist governments on their side (Romania, for example).

France was in the war as an independent country until Germany pretty much took them out of it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ensign Expendable posted:

The Red Army was actively modernizing in 1939-1941. It's not that they were happy to ignore a world war, it's that they wanted to buy as much time as possible to be in a good shape when they did get drawn in.

Even when they were signing the treaty Hitler and Stalin both realized it was only a matter of time until one of them betrayed the other. It was one of those uneasy peaces that is absolutely guaranteed to not last very long. Hitler just happened to be the one that blinked first.

It was one of the biggest flaws of totalitarian governments at the time. Well it's also one of the biggest flaws of fascism in general but anyway pretty much all of them were saying "we must expand our power forever." It was inevitable that they'd end up fighting each other eventually.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Let's just cut the garbage here. The war was really just Germany/Japan vs the US. The other countries involved were just lucky that the US, once again :rolleyes:, had to roll in to fix the mess they made for themselves. USA, back to back world war champions!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

About time for round 3, where we successfully defend our title against all comers!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am aware that its a gross simplifacation. My point was that they didn't understand it on even that level, let alone enough to say "well gently caress you for leaving out the Finns, because actually"

This person did not know which side of the conflict Russia or Japan was on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, if they grew up with just a basic US education and did not take specific history lessons on it in high school or college then I can believe it. I remember in high school all we really learned was "the US fought Germany and Japan and then we nuked Japan. And France, England, and Russia were there too I guess...."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, if they grew up with just a basic US education and did not take specific history lessons on it in high school or college then I can believe it. I remember in high school all we really learned was "the US fought Germany and Japan and then we nuked Japan. And France, England, and Russia were there too I guess...."

Exactly. I only recently learned that much of the Allies' technological superiority came from Britain.

Good job England. You helped.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Let's just cut the garbage here. The war was really just Germany/Japan vs the US. The other countries involved were just lucky that the US, once again :rolleyes:, had to roll in to fix the mess they made for themselves. USA, back to back world war champions!

What actually happened was every European country, including Britain, was a bitch and scared of offending Hitler for some reason and then oh poo poo this guy started a European war we could have stopped years ago if we had any balls and the US stayed out of it until the Empire Pearl Harbored us so America stood up, shook its head, sighed and unsheathed its nukes to crush Japan and then led the Allies to beat Hitler.

So now everyone is always mad that America gets involved with other countries we don't have anything to do with when the one time we didn't get involved look what happened.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

oldpainless posted:

What actually happened was every European country, including Britain, was a bitch and scared of offending Hitler for some reason and then oh poo poo this guy started a European war we could have stopped years ago if we had any balls and the US stayed out of it until the Empire Pearl Harbored us so America stood up, shook its head, sighed and unsheathed its nukes to crush Japan and then led the Allies to beat Hitler.

So now everyone is always mad that America gets involved with other countries we don't have anything to do with when the one time we didn't get involved look what happened.

This really is what I learned about it in high school. :cheers:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So USA schools never teach about the meat-grinder that was the Eastern front then.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're a high school history teacher. And this convo was post college graduation before they started at a local high school.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Solice Kirsk posted:

You didn't do other countries history?

Here in England we did stuff about Britain but we also did Tsarism & Communism in Russia/USSR, Fascism in Italy, The Rise of Fascism in Germany, Francoism in Spain, Race Relations and Foreign Policy in the US, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Madkal posted:

So USA schools never teach about the meat-grinder that was the Eastern front then.

If its a basic high school class, only the most basic of info is covered that isn't directly tied to America's role in the war. And the reason its written that way is because history is written by the winners.

Which is America. The Brits or Russian could have written the books if they had won the war.