Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Rey being Luke's daughter would just be weird. She's, what, six or so in the flashback? For that to work, Luke would have needed to have gone by another name from her birth to the time she was left on Jakku because she doesn't twig at all when Luke's name gets mentioned. Everyone's still calling him Luke and he was an active participant in the galaxy right up until he vanished, so that just seems odd. She also doesn't seem shocked when she sees him, as if she recognizes her father.

Not saying it's not possible, but it'd take some twisting to get around. On the other hand, the stories revolve around Skywalkers and having her take up the lightsaber of her father and grandfather works. It's like poetry blah blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

My favorite thing about Star War is fun characters, their interactions with one another, the action sequences and set pieces. It's a rich world that Lucas created. With that in mind TFA was a triumph.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Mortanis posted:

Rey being Luke's daughter would just be weird. She's, what, six or so in the flashback? For that to work, Luke would have needed to have gone by another name from her birth to the time she was left on Jakku because she doesn't twig at all when Luke's name gets mentioned. Everyone's still calling him Luke and he was an active participant in the galaxy right up until he vanished, so that just seems odd. She also doesn't seem shocked when she sees him, as if she recognizes her father.

Not saying it's not possible, but it'd take some twisting to get around. On the other hand, the stories revolve around Skywalkers and having her take up the lightsaber of her father and grandfather works. It's like poetry blah blah.

He probably thinks she was dead from what we are shown in the flashback. And If I remember correctly, the order of the flashback makes it seem like Ben drops her off

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Toilet Mouth posted:

I feel pretty safe in guessing that if Rey has Skywalker DNA, then she wasn't conceived through conventional means. I can't see them telling us, "Luke had a wife/gf but you never met her and never will, so don't worry about it, also he's a deadbeat dad."

Big assumption here but if shes involved in the deathstar plans heist and survives the war, its very possible that she meets Luke afterwards.

Viller fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 6, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AndyElusive posted:

Can Sith even force ghost in Disney-canon?

It could be like the Dagobah Cave: a vision.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Tales of the Jedi/KOTOR comics sort of play with that too (are those still cannon?). It's not explicitly said but the Jedi force ghosts are like in the movies where they can basically appear and roll around to wherever but are ghosts. Sith ghosts are a thing but they are like super cazy powerful but are physically bound to a place or object important to their life and can't manifest at all unless someone is actively seeking out their presence. The opposite extreme of the "unlearning" and "letting go" we get all the time from Yoda.

The Sith are generically evil in those comics but they did a good job differentiating how they operate from the Jedi to make both sides more interesting.

TFA's lightsaber vision and Ren keeping Vader's helmet reminded me a lot of them. To the point where I assume in VIII we'll learn Vader's armor/remains were in repose somewhere in Luke's temple and that let Ren/Snoke/Luke/whoever get some brief vision or insight from Vader (whether he's good or not) that ended up making everything fall apart.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Rebels is supposedly as canon as the movies and they just introduced a sith holocron with some dead sith ghost in it. Palpatine could still happen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
No one cares about Canon. They can do whatever they want.

I mean, they've already changed continuity multiple times whenever they felt like it. Caring about canon is always stupid, but with Star Wars it's also completely useless because the 'canon' changes arbitrarily all the time.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Hey guys could you please stop disturbing my canon i just got it the way I like it thanks

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Then I hope they bring back the guy with light sabers on his knees and he ends up being Reys father because gently caress canon!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I wish you all would get shot out of a cannon

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

I mean, they've already changed continuity multiple times whenever they felt like it. Caring about canon is always stupid, but with Star Wars it's also completely useless because the 'canon' changes arbitrarily all the time.

Well, this isn't quite the same thing. The fact that the Sith Lords can't survive beyond death like the Jedi can is actually a pretty important thematic precept of the saga.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Mortanis posted:

No cuz in KOTOR jedis can wipe your brains and stuff

KOTOR is still legit right

It's probably really easy on kids

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's just hard to piece together when you look at the nitty gritty. Why didn't kylo recognize her as his cousin. Why did her force vision freak her out so much. Why doesn't she know she's Lukes daughter. She knows who he is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's only been two canon shake ups ever. The first back in the 90s when they decided to actually start caring about continuity and introducing the tiered hierarchy, he second recently when the old stuff became Legends and the new stuff became all on equal canonicity as the films.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/how-snoke-turned-kylo-ren-star-wars-the-force-awakens/2/

Adam Driver posted:

“There’s nothing more powerful than genetics. If you really imagine the stakes of him, in his youth, having all these special powers and having your parents kind of be absent during that process on their own agendas, equally as selfish. He’s lost in the world that he was raised in and feels that he was kind of abandoned by the people that he’s closest with. He’s angry because of that, I think, and he has a huge grudge on his shoulders.”

J.J. Abrams posted:

“It’s more than just having sort of a bad seed as a kid. Snoke had targeted this kid and knew that this kid was going to be incredibly powerful in The Force and wanted him as an ally. So this mother and father had a target for a son, someone who was watching their boy, and these parents aren’t there enough to guide him.”

LOL it's literally exactly the same thing that happened with Anakin. How creative.

Han and Leia suck so bad. They essentially hosed over the entire galaxy with their selfish parenting style. You can just feel the love and respect for the characters of the OT oozing out of every pore of this movie.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It makes a lot of sense that Han and Leia would be lovely parents, imo. Characterizing them as such in TFA shows due respect+understanding of the OT.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

euphronius posted:

It's just hard to piece together when you look at the nitty gritty. Why didn't kylo recognize her as his cousin. Why did her force vision freak her out so much. Why doesn't she know she's Lukes daughter. She knows who he is.

But the alternative is that Anakin's lightsaber was calling to her, and gave her visions when she touched it, for no reason whatsoever. There's got to be something special about her beyond "she's really strong in the Force", because we've seen the Chosen One and his two kids when they were completely untrained in using the Force and they never experienced what she did with that lightsaber. Her being related to the Skywalkers would at least provide some explanation, even though Luke never experienced any visions that we're aware of when he touched that lightsaber.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Cat Machine posted:

It makes a lot of sense that Han and Leia would be lovely parents, imo. Characterizing them as such in TFA shows due respect+understanding of the OT.

The Han and Leia romance is about two very different people coming together and learning how to love each other unselfishly. The whole "Han and Leia's relationship was always doomed to failure" meme betrays such a deep misunderstanding of the OT that I have a hard time even quantifying it.

So does anyone actually like the Han and Leia romance in the OT anymore? Because from what I'm hearing from people post-TFA, it's apparently just as dysfunctional as Anakin and Padme's relationship in the PT.

So, the message of Star Wars: All romantic relationships are impossible and doomed to calamitous failure. There's no way to make it work, kids!

Beeez posted:

But the alternative is that Anakin's lightsaber was calling to her, and gave her visions when she touched it, for no reason whatsoever. There's got to be something special about her beyond "she's really strong in the Force", because we've seen the Chosen One and his two kids when they were completely untrained in using the Force and they never experienced what she did with that lightsaber. Her being related to the Skywalkers would at least provide some explanation, even though Luke never experienced any visions that we're aware of when he touched that lightsaber.

I can't get over the fact that Rey opens a literal Mystery Box and is then bombarded by a series of vague, unexplained teaser material meant to serve as plot hooks for later movies. I have to assume this was at least somewhat self-aware on J.J.' s part, but that doesn't make it any better.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 6, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

The Han and Leia romance is about two very different people coming together and learning how to love each other unselfishly. The whole "Han and Leia's relationship was always doomed to failure" meme betrays such a deep misunderstanding of the OT that I have a hard time even quantifying it.

So does anyone actually like the Han and Leia romance in the OT anymore? Because from what I'm hearing from people post-TFA, it's apparently just as dysfunctional as Anakin and Padme's relationship in the PT.

So, the message of Star Wars: All romantic relationships are impossible and doomed to calamitous failure. There's no way to make it work, kids!

people can love each other and still not form a functional nuclear family together

lots of people who aren't even outlaw space adventurers with zero stability in their lives gently caress that up

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It works in the OT because it's just the two of them. You throw a kid into the mix, and yeah, of course Leia's going to be absent a lot, building this fledgling New Republic, and of course Han is going to start feeling too tied down and want to wander. Luke's off training Jedi, so who's left to raise Ben? Chewie and Threepio? No wonder he snapped.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rey is Luke's daughter. Just as Anakin was born without a father via the Force, Rey was born without a mother. Luke carried Rey in his Force-womb.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it is a personal affront to me that anyone could believe that revolutionary leader whose whole family got blown up and the drug dealer who lives out of his van with his dog bro wouldn't succeed at settling down and finding a townhouse in a nice school district, despite their having bonded over getting abducted and blowing up government officials

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He is a force marsupial. Forcupial.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah there's absolutely zero indication in the OT that Leia and Han would have made good parents. I have never understood where you are seeing that, Cnut.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
poo poo dude, just look at the old EU. No writer ever knew what the gently caress to do with Han after he and Leia got married and had kids. He's either a tag along to the story or they gave him another "hey lets go see what Lando's up to" plot. Han was garbage because they were trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. That character would never make a good father or even a good husband.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

people can love each other and still not form a functional nuclear family together

lots of people who aren't even outlaw space adventurers with zero stability in their lives gently caress that up

Yeah, no poo poo. And Luke could have decided to murder his father and turn to the dark side. Lots of people try to do the right thing but ultimately fail and become villains. But that's not what happened, because the OT is an optimistic story about the way things should turn out.

Unconditional love in Star Wars is inextricably connected to the concept of forming a family and raising children. If the family is not functional, the love was not functional. This is not because the Star Wars films are conservative polemics about the virtues of "traditional families", but because the story is a metaphor for larger truths about society.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Technically there's no reason to think Luke would be able to build a new Jedi Order either, but it still sucks that they went with "yeah he failed in almost the same manner as the PT Jedi did".

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the OT is a self-contained mythic arc in which the heroes slay the dragon, get the girl, evil is vanquished forever, cut to credits. The protagonists are frozen in time forever at their greatest moment of triumph. In life, and in sequels, life has to continue, and you never stop having challenges.

And there are no intact, stable families in Star Wars whatsoever so, uh, what

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

poo poo dude, just look at the old EU. No writer ever knew what the gently caress to do with Han after he and Leia got married and had kids. He's either a tag along to the story or they gave him another "hey lets go see what Lando's up to" plot. Han was garbage because they were trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. That character would never make a good father or even a good husband.

He could make a good father and husband if people weren't so obsessed with having him act exactly like the cocky, smart-mouthed scoundrel he was in the OT. But you're right, that's not what the people want. They want that Han Solo. They don't want something unfamiliar.

Do you really find it so hard to accept that a person like Han Solo could genuinely grow and change? Why does Star Wars have to be so cynical now?

the OT is a self-contained mythic arc in which the heroes slay the dragon, get the girl, evil is vanquished forever, cut to credits. The protagonists are frozen in time forever at their greatest moment of triumph. In life, and in sequels, life has to continue, and you never stop having challenges.

Yes, but one assumes that the new challenges you have to face aren't a result of your own inability to grow as a human being, and that you didn't actively gently caress up and directly contribute to making things worse for your children.

quote:

And there are no intact, stable families in Star Wars whatsoever so, uh, what

You heard it here first. Star Wars has nothing to say about healthy, stable families or functional societies. What are these movies even about, anyway? Spaceships, right?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

You heard it here first. Star Wars has nothing to say about healthy, stable families or functional societies. What are these movies even about, anyway? Spaceships, right?

pictured: two orphans, two isolated criminals, two robots, and two cannibals, thrown together by circumstance and finally getting along and not trying to kill each other in literally the last few minutes of the story

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

computer parts posted:

Technically there's no reason to think Luke would be able to build a new Jedi Order either, but it still sucks that they went with "yeah he failed in almost the same manner as the PT Jedi did".

It's implicit that he does. The movie is called Return of the Jedi. Luke is told to pass on what he has learned.The film ends with Luke draping his arm over his newly-discovered Force-sensitive sister's shoulder as the Jedi of the past smile and look on. The Jedi Temple reappears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cnut the Great posted:

He could make a good father and husband if people weren't so obsessed with having him act exactly like the cocky, smart-mouthed scoundrel he was in the OT. But you're right, that's not what the people want. They want that Han Solo. They don't want something unfamiliar.

Do you really find it so hard to accept that a person like Han Solo could genuinely grow and change? Why does Star Wars have to be so cynical now?
"If Han completely changed his personality he might be a good father!"

There's no place for Han post-Jedi. He's either a peacetime General or he goes back to smuggling. Leia's off politicking and Luke is doing Jedi stuff. Han has no experience with either. Then you give him a kid he doesn't know how to raise and expect him to be complacent and stable.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

"I love the man I know I can make him into"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if you want your heroes to settle down and have happy, peaceful lives stop making stories about them

MrMojok posted:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

pictured: two orphans, two isolated criminals, two robots, and two cannibals, thrown together by circumstance and finally getting along and not trying to kill each other in literally the last few minutes of the story

Wow, talk about a downer of an ending.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"If Han completely changed his personality he might be a good father!"

There's no place for Han post-Jedi. He's either a peacetime General or he goes back to smuggling. Leia's off politicking and Luke is doing Jedi stuff. Han has no experience with either. Then you give him a kid he doesn't know how to raise and expect him to be complacent and stable.

He doesn't have to completely change his personality! He just has to be responsible and not selfish! That's it!

Like, do you understand this is not a documentary series? These are not real people. These are characters who are made to act in certain ways by the writers in order to express certain concepts and ideals.

MrMojok posted:

Leia didn't make Han do anything. Han chose to be a better person on his own, because he independently realized that he didn't want to live the rest of his life being snide and selfish and alienating everyone he cared about. How can you be this bad at understanding a children's movie?

I can't even imagine how dark a place the world must be for you people.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 6, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

if you want your heroes to settle down and have happy, peaceful lives stop making stories about them

This guy gets it.

Without family conflict, you don't have a story to tell.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cnut the Great posted:

Wow, talk about a downer of an ending.

He doesn't have to completely change his personality! He just has to be responsible and not selfish! That's it!

Like, do you understand this is not a documentary series? These are not real people. These are characters who are made to act in certain ways by the writers in order to express certain concepts and ideals.

And if the writers are going to make characters act certain ways, I appreciate consistency. Han and Leia long each other, deciding to start a family, and then being not the greatest at it is extremely consistent with how they're portrayed previously.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Han did become Han-dad. He didn't go back to being Han until Ben became a |sith lord|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Cnut, if you really want stories where Han is a decent dad to his three boring kids, there's 15 years worth of novels for you to check out.

Except for that one time Chewie died and Han became an abusive space-alcoholic who blamed the youngest son.

• Locked thread