Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Yeah I think the "problem" people have is that Americans have waltzed into the sport and immediately been successful, not that they're a new team doing well or have been given a leg-up from outside sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

"Better to be running this year's Ferrari than last year's Sauber" -A wise American Philosopher

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

learnincurve posted:

What about Brawn? Took someone else's fully built car and shoved someone else's engine in it and won a WDC, no one complained,or whined and said the constructors championship was any less valid that year. I can't help but feel that it's people of my dad's generation who sit there muttering "uppity drat yanks buying their way into a sport who do they think they are" to themselves while complaining about Haas not being a real team in newspaper comments sections.

Brawn were the same team in all but name; the biggest change was having to use the Merc donk.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The English press are a very odd group of people, and I say English because you don't get this to the same extent with the Scots/Welsh.

The media, including Sky, says: We like a hard luck story, we like a young talent and we will support and celebrate them on their way up and will pathologically defend them often in the face of all logic or reason, but the moment they get very successful that's it, they are far too big for their boots and must be dragged down again, preferably right into the gutter. We are biased against Americans because they are a young country who have done very well for themselves, but we like Australia because they are more "down to earth" and also because a lot of us have relations living there and we are owned by an Australian.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm pretty sure Brawn said the Merc engine actually made the package worse, it was just the best compromise avaliable. Honda almost certainly would've won the world championship if they stayed in for 2009.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

learnincurve posted:

but the moment they get very successful that's it, they are far too big for their boots and must be dragged down again, preferably right into the gutter.
Except for Sir LewHam

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

The English press are a very odd group of people, and I say English because you don't get this to the same extent with the Scots/Welsh.

The media, including Sky, says: We like a hard luck story, we like a young talent and we will support and celebrate them on their way up and will pathologically defend them often in the face of all logic or reason, but the moment they get very successful that's it, they are far too big for their boots and must be dragged down again, preferably right into the gutter. We are biased against Americans because they are a young country who have done very well for themselves, but we like Australia because they are more "down to earth" and also because a lot of us have relations living there and we are owned by an Australian.

The British are silly buggars.

If Williams and Force India have a problem with buying parts, then maybe they should start designing their own braking systems instead of buying them from Brembo. Every team up and down the grid buys off the shelf parts from one company or another. They just don't like Americans.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm pretty sure Brawn said the Merc engine actually made the package worse, it was just the best compromise avaliable. Honda almost certainly would've won the world championship if they stayed in for 2009.

the fact that they won races with a mercedes engine hastily stuffed into a chassis it wasn't designed for speaks volumes to the dominance of that car. with the honda engine and a full years funding they would have made the mp4/4 look like garbage.

Andrew Benson posted:

What is less well known, though, is that the car is, in the words of my source, "a botch job".

It was designed for a Honda engine, and it was not until December that the team knew they would be using a Mercedes. That necessitated some pretty crude changes.

"The chassis had the back six inches cut off to fit the engine in - the sort of thing you wouldn't normally do even with a test car," says my source. "And the gearbox was in the wrong place because the crank-centre height is different. There's a massive amount of compromise in the cars."

Those compromises introduced a significant performance deficit into the Brawn car, but it raced like that all year.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I really need to watch that Brawn season. But first, nascar and indy catchup.

What's the best series for GT3 racing currently?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Except for Sir LewHam

lol no. They turned on him after he won the WDC and started losing to Nico, he's well in too big for his boots territory and wants to be an American. If he starts winning again he may be redeemed as "our Lewis learns the errors of his ways and is a good lad really" if he loses to Nico t they will suddenly realise that we can exclusively reveal that TAX DODGER former WDC Lewis Hamilton LEFT THE UK when he was 18 and has NEVER paid any income tax or national insurance SHOCKER. Our press is really easy to predict., although it's been really funny watching how torn Sky is at the moment.

edit: Just one example among many, "Lewis Hamilton’s shisha pipe shame latest in series of social media gaffes from F1 world champion" http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...d-champion.html

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 6, 2016

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Norns posted:

What's the best series for GT3 racing currently?

Blancpain, IMO.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mercedes is in the process of a clutch re-engineering; it's what they believe led to bad starts.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

Mercedes is in the process of a clutch re-engineering; it's what they believe led to bad starts.

I can only hope they make it worse.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They actually admitted they don't know how to fix it and have given it to "Daimler Benz" ( I am assuming Toto meant Daimler AG). No idea if their clutch guy moved there or if this the first time they have worked on a F1 clutch before, or if it will be ready for China.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

1500quidporsche posted:

"Better to be running this year's Ferrari than last year's Sauber" -A wise American Philosopher

this is incredible

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
So the real judge of weither or not a team is a proper "constructor" is having carbon fiber manufacturing facilities on-site, rather than sending plans to a second party?

Isnt someone straight up running williams gearboxes, as well? I dont remember anyone complaining about that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Manor is, and Force India is running a Mercedes gearbox I believe.

It's so dumb because anyone else would just run an Xtrac gearbox. Why wouldn't you want a leading team's gearbox?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

They actually admitted they don't know how to fix it and have given it to "Daimler Benz" ( I am assuming Toto meant Daimler AG). No idea if their clutch guy moved there or if this the first time they have worked on a F1 clutch before, or if it will be ready for China.

What the gently caress does Daimler Benz know about making clutches? They stopped making manual transmissions back in the 80's.

1500quidporsche posted:

It's so dumb because anyone else would just run an Xtrac gearbox. Why wouldn't you want a leading team's gearbox?

Marussia and Caterham were the last teams to run Xtrac gearboxes. I have a (I think) 1st gear from an old Caterham Xtrac gearbox. You'd expect F1 gears to be made of titanium or inconel or something to save weight, but it's so heavy that I'm pretty sure it's just steel.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 6, 2016

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MustardFacial posted:

What the gently caress does Daimler Benz know about making clutches? They stopped making manual transmissions back in the 80's.

you still have clutches in automatics, and F1 cars are not manuals anyway

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

Well it's a good thing they are making a clutch for a semi automatic then!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Lotus ran them last year as well, I wouldn't expect them to be anywhere close to the pinnacle of design.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

JFairfax posted:

you still have clutches in automatics, and F1 cars are not manuals anyway

In double clutch systems you do, but those are fairly recent things. Standard automatics that were Merc's bread and butter for decades are torque converters and clutch packs made of a bunch of alternating friction discs and steel discs. Not exactly your traditional clutch.

[edit]I will admit that practically everything uses a double clutch system now. I stand by my criticism of Mercedes. gently caress the cars. gently caress the race team.

[edit2] In other news, Renault is going to bring the engineering perfection of diesel combustion to their engines in Canada. It's been a good long time since we've seen an engine window itself in F1. I can't wait.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 6, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

Marussia and Caterham were the last teams to run Xtrac gearboxes. I have a (I think) 1st gear from an old Caterham Xtrac gearbox. You'd expect F1 gears to be made of titanium or inconel or something to save weight, but it's so heavy that I'm pretty sure it's just steel.

caterham ran red bull gearboxes. i assume you mean pre-caterham team lotus. all the 2010 new teams used xtrac because no one else had a cosworth gearbox.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Reading about Ferrari's engine failure. Apparently they have some sort of electronic cam advance and it basically pushed the valve into the piston because the engine was running at lower speeds.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Race engines can get surprisingly finnicky at low RPM's. DFV's had a big warning in the owners manual that they couldn't run below like 2500rpm for any extended length of time due to tappet wear.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I worked at a MB dealership until 4 years ago. IIRC you can still get a base model SLK and a 4 cylinder C class in manual (and they are terrible, like a 90s ford). Its possible they have since been replaced.

Its even hard these days to find a Miata in manual, out of ~30 NC-generation cars for sale in my county only 2 were properly-equipped.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 6, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah nobody wants to drive manuals anymore because they're either lazy or want "The Best" so they get a DCT. gently caress actually enjoying the driving experience.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Driving a manual in a big city is an awful experience tbf

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I do it every day and its fine.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i have more important things to think about while driving like my stock portfolio and not hmmm will i make a perfect downshift coming up this this red light?!?!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

El Hefe posted:

I love driving manuals, but yeah I agree. Driving a manual in a big city or in rush hour stop and go traffic is so awful that I will do everything in my power to drive an automatic if I know I'm going to be in that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

yeah, and in that case "actually enjoying the driving experience" means an automatic, or at least as much as you can possibly enjoy that

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It's never bothered me driving a stick in heavy traffic. :shrug: if anything the suspension of my car is more annoying at slow speeds thanks to my loving progressive rally springs.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I sit in traffic regularly on the most congested highway in the world, and manual is fine. Traffic isn't any more enjoyable when you aren't shifting gears. It is awful either way.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

MustardFacial posted:

I love driving manuals, but yeah I agree. Driving a manual in a big city or in rush hour stop and go traffic is so awful that I will do everything in my power to drive an automatic if I know I'm going to be in that.

I might have gotten lucky with my cars (Z28, miata, fit) but i dont even think about shifting, and i commute an hour and a half on I95 in one of the most sprawl-y crowded areas in the south. Does it not just happen......automatically for you? Besides the obvious driver involvement benefits they are easier to maintain. You can drop a transmission in your driveway no problem to replace a bearing or swap in a new friction disc, but good luck diagnosing an auto that wont shift out of third, or rebuilding all those high pressure valves properly. So you just throw away the car, like used old paper cup?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 6, 2016

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

be nice wicka posted:

the fact that they won races with a mercedes engine hastily stuffed into a chassis it wasn't designed for speaks volumes to the dominance of that car. with the honda engine and a full years funding they would have made the mp4/4 look like garbage.

The Brawn car is seriously one of the coolest things in recent F1 memory for me, no question.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
im going to unironicaly post minidrivers in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7QQw-9OMus

ftw (that means for the win)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nasr is going to have a terrible time this year.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I might have gotten lucky with my cars (Z28, miata, fit) but i dont even think about shifting, and i commute an hour and a half on I95 in one of the most sprawl-y crowded areas in the south. Does it not just happen......automatically for you?
I am willing to admit that my manual transmission woes are entirely my fault for being an idiot kid and dropping a "Stage 2" South Bend clutch into my GTI because "hurr hurr race car." And as a result the now heavy loving clutch would make my leg sore when inching 6" forward every 2 seconds. I've never actually done it with a sensible car.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

but good luck diagnosing an auto that wont shift out of third, or rebuilding all those high pressure valves properly.

Go to the junkyard and hack a working automatic out of another car and replace your broken one. Do not open that box of whispers and shadows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

track day bro! posted:

im going to unironicaly post minidrivers in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7QQw-9OMus

ftw (that means for the win)

i love the animation and humor but the voices are just too much after about 30 seconds

• Locked thread