Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I decided to bother tracking down and listen to these ~~campaign audio leaks~~ and a couple of those spoilers seem to be true based on fragmented audio files. If that entire list actually ends up happening in the game it'd be stupid as hell and amazing at the same time. So I guess in a way it'd fit Doom just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'd complain about audio logs and how devs should tell their stories better but its doom. Hopefully we don't have to listen to them just to get a code to unlock a cabinet.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Flying Hog managed to make Lo Wang into an interesting character and Machine Games made me feel legit empathy towards William 'BJ' Blazkowicz, so it's not impossible to fit a decent narrative into a classic FPS reboot.

Obviously it's not necessary either, but drat Wolf TNO's story was a lot more enjoyable than I think anyone expected it to be.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Linguica posted:

retard 4 has audio logs recorded by satan. this is not a joke.
oh god are we going to get another part of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvGXCisAaR4

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Linguica posted:

if anybody views this as a negative thing in any way they can gently caress right off

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Buca di Bepis posted:

if anybody views this as a negative thing in any way they can gently caress right off

Yeah I dont know about you guys but if there was an audio recording of Satan going "Oh poo poo poo poo gently caress he's here gently caress we're dead" and making GBS threads his pants that would actually be super rad.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Retard 4 is shaping up to be a monster

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I finally got to play the beta first-hand over the weekend, it was mixed. Really feels like half of two games mashed together, and they should embrace one or the other.

The good: picking up health, armor chits, megahealth, quad damage and the demon pickup feels like a classic arena shooter. Double-jumping is fun. Environments look amazing and actually feel like Doom should look, good mix of techbase and hell styles. The moving king of the hill mode was pretty engaging, although sometimes the trail would make it confusing which direction the hill was. Armor and weapon customization is cool, although not really anything I would have asked for.

The bad: wish it was a bit faster so you could really strafe and juke people more. SSG feels weak. Loadouts are stupid, as soon as you hit level 2 you spawn every life with both the SSG AND the rocket launcher, so there's no reason to pick anything other than quad damage or the demon rune up. Never saw anybody using most of the other guns. Maps are confusing in how they're laid out, even though they're also very small and cramped. Player spawns are messy and sometimes you spawn right into a fight, since the maps are so small.

Overall its pretty meh. Hoping the single player is strong. SnapMap is still cool though, horde mode with friends co-op will be good times at least.

This game has the same problem Doom 3 does. If Doom 3 was just called "John Carmack's Ghosts of Mars" nobody would have complained about it being a horror game. Course, it may not have gotten as much attention either. (But it was still an Id game, back when that meant something)

If this was just called Demonic Halo or whatever, nobody would bat an eye. But then we probably wouldn't even have this thread and nobody'd give a poo poo about Bethesda's new shootman.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Well I cancelled the CE, I'm not paying that much for Doom, especially when its mainly just for that statue.

Might give the SP a go for £25 I've seen it up for but might also wait and see reviews now the beta was still pretty unsatisfying. Hoping they improve it but it feels a bit console-y. Want more punch on weapons too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Linguica posted:

If true then it's the single best example of how Doom 4 is exactly as melodramatic and stupid as the original. :colbert:

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

poptart_fairy posted:

If true then it's the single best example of how Doom 4 is exactly as melodramatic and stupid as the original. :colbert:

What if its just satan butt dialling someone though? You know just listing out his shopping for the week or something like a dozen hell eggs? Or 2 quarts of hell milk?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
They should hire Matt Stone and Trey Parker to do the voice of Satan :cheeky:

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Zaphod42 posted:

They should hire Matt Stone and Trey Parker to do the voice of Satan :cheeky:

Thats just the voice I was hearing in my head.

(Figuratively I'm not literally hearing Satan)

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Retard 4: doom gay, hail satan

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

haha bethesda just announced that retard 4 is having an fully-open beta multiplayer thing the weekend after next. congrats to everyone who bought wolfenstein so that they would feel like part of an elite special club

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Linguica posted:

No rocket jumping huh. id is truly dead

This is the worst news in this thread since the video of the stupid kill animations if true =/

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
They announced premium multiplayer dlc for the low low price of $14.99 get you some more maps son.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Overbite posted:

They announced premium multiplayer dlc for the low low price of $14.99 get you some more maps son.

Lol can't you just play user created maps why even buy that. Multiplayer in 2016 folks.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Overbite posted:

No you misunderstand, that's $14.99 for a third of the planned DLC content (not counting TBA expansion packs). But you can save save save by purchasing the entire DOOM(R) Season Pass for $29.99.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 6, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/06/doom-open-beta-and-dlc-announced

Open beta for anybody who missed out on the stupid gamestop one

Starts at 12am EST (5am BST) on April 15, and ends at 11.59 EST on April 17

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Linguica posted:

No you misunderstand, that's $14.99 for a third of the planned DLC content (not counting TBA expansion packs). But you can save save save by purchasing the entire DOOM(R) Season Pass for $29.99.

Well they've misjudged this. The multiplayer will likely never get any traction and they are charging a helluva lot for this DLC too for what it is. £30/$39.99! Poor show.

Blackfyre fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 6, 2016

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Linguica posted:

But you can save save save by purchasing the entire DOOM(R) Season Pass for $29.99.

$39.99.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Linguica posted:

haha bethesda just announced that retard 4 is having an fully-open beta multiplayer thing the weekend after next. congrats to everyone who bought wolfenstein so that they would feel like part of an elite special club

Well, they got a good game out of it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hamburger Test posted:

Well, they got a good game out of it.

When is Maching Games' next thing. :(

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I'm just about sure that stupid animations + no rocket jump + 15 dollar dlc being made before the game is finished to charge you for a weapon and 3 maps is all I need to know that this is not a buy until it's on sale for five dollars. What a loving bummer.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

treat posted:

$39.99.
Oh, my mistake. As I was saying, you can save save save by purchasing the entire DOOM(R) Season Pass for $39.99.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Ah bethesda. Never stop sucking

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yeah to be honest if they're going to pull poo poo like stupid season passes it's making be dial back my enthusiasm for the game.ill wait until we get much more concrete reviews and impressions of single player before I jump in.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can't wait to play the game, but yeah $40 dlc is quite wacky. Hopefully for that price they include a decent single-player expansion as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I was already going to hold off until I saw single player reviews based on the beta being so-so, but $40 for a season pass for this is highway robbery.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
They have to get all the money back they spent making this game 3+ times from the ground up from somewhere, right?

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
With this new direction, it makes me wonder if the campaign will be more of an addon such as with CoD. Hopefully not, but my inclination to buy this game is lessening the more information they release about it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

it's kind of sad to see id Software finally finish its transition from "cool indie studio run by geeks like you and me" to "corporate machine that actively despises its own customer base" but I guess All Things Must Pass

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Linguica posted:

it's kind of sad to see id Software finally finish its transition from "cool indie studio run by geeks like you and me" to "corporate machine that actively despises its own customer base" but I guess All Things Must Pass

Shouldn't we try the single-player game they've been working on for years before throwing id into a coffin? Quake 3 Arena also had an expensive expansion I didn't buy.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Heavy Metal posted:

Shouldn't we try the single-player game they've been working on for years before throwing id into a coffin? Quake 3 Arena also had an expensive expansion I didn't buy.
I meant the company culture and interaction with the fanbase more than anything. Even with RAGE, when id was already a fully owned subsidiary of Bethesda, Carmack was still around and gave his Quakecon keynotes and actually discussed things about the game honestly and openly because no one could tell him to stop. The Doom 2016 marketing has been 100% corporate calculation and prevarication. Look at the "Doom beta" stuff - two years ago they tried to get people to buy Wolfenstein TNO by heavily promoting access to an exclusive "Doom beta," which turned out to mean that you could play an extremely limited multiplayer test 2 whole weeks before the rest of the world. Nothing about that was false advertising per se, but it was clearly a bad-faith mischaracterization intended to trick people into believing they were getting something more substantial than what was really planned.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Team Arena was pretty cool, and came out like 2 years after the base game?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kazvall posted:

Team Arena was pretty cool, and came out like 2 years after the base game?

It came out just one year later, and I didn't say anything about it being bad. And who's to say the extra stuff they're putting out here will be bad? Just pointing out that's actually kind of similar, plus apparently here they'll be giving us more multiplayer modes and stuff for free.

Linguica posted:

I meant the company culture and interaction with the fanbase more than anything.

Granted, but just saying all these criticisms are for stuff not related to the SP campaign. This game could be great even just based on that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Granted, but just saying all these criticisms are for stuff not related to the SP campaign. This game could be great even just based on that.

Its true and I'm holding off judgement until I can see more of the SP / play it myself, but still seems pretty fair to count all these things in the mix.

Basically Id should be called "Bethesda: Dallas" once Carmack left. Hawking expensive DLC is totally their MO, look at Fallout 4 right now.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Heavy Metal posted:

The SP could be great, but I'm just saying it's no longer a game made by :airquote:id software:airquote: with the weird old school magic that implies, because :airquote:id software:airquote: is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Linguica posted:

I meant the company culture and interaction with the fanbase more than anything. Even with RAGE, when id was already a fully owned subsidiary of Bethesda, Carmack was still around and gave his Quakecon keynotes and actually discussed things about the game honestly and openly because no one could tell him to stop. The Doom 2016 marketing has been 100% corporate calculation and prevarication. Look at the "Doom beta" stuff - two years ago they tried to get people to buy Wolfenstein TNO by heavily promoting access to an exclusive "Doom beta," which turned out to mean that you could play an extremely limited multiplayer test 2 whole weeks before the rest of the world. Nothing about that was false advertising per se, but it was clearly a bad-faith mischaracterization intended to trick people into believing they were getting something more substantial than what was really planned.
I'm looking at it from a different perspective - I was going to buy Wolf TNO anyway, so getting to play the Doom beta was a bonus.
Likewise, I enjoyed the closed beta, so learning that there's a second beta next week is another bonus on top of that.