Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kazoosandthings
Dec 6, 2004

In order to join the pirate crew,
you must prove yourself on the kazoo.
Mine is out for delivery, yay. Trivia in 9 days!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This is a good and cool thread and I am going to get prepped tonight so I can look at pictures next week.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

wa27 posted:

Same, though to be fair the clue did give some additional info. "What is the elevation of Let Me Pass?" Without that, the only thing we had to go on was "well it kind of looks like Parker Bros art from the 80s". Once we knew it had a mountain theme that narrowed it down a lot.

But yeah, it's something we would have found if we had enough eyes on it before the contest. The pictures are one department where we could do much better every year, especially given our numbers. It's just hard to get people motivated to show up early and get verified/registered to see them.

I knew it was a mountain pass without the question, but never included "mountain" in my search terms because, well, stupid newbie. :/

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Nvm dawg

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 6, 2016

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

I knew it was a mountain pass without the question, but never included "mountain" in my search terms because, well, stupid newbie. :/

Oh right, I guess it did include "LETTME PASS" in the picture. Welp! :v:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Gentle reminder before we get any further not to post specifics of questions in this thread, thanks in advance

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah, once trivia starts in earnest everything goes into private discussions. One year reddit tried to run a team on a public facing subreddit, and I believe they were disqualified within hours for sharing image questions, calling in their answer several times on every question, and other rules violations.

Don't Be Like Reddit~

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Even talking about previous years' questions is kind of risky, I would avoid it if at all possible

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CrashCat posted:

Gentle reminder before we get any further not to post specifics of questions in this thread, thanks in advance

Firm reminder not to post specifics of questions pictures in this thread, you jerks

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Man I wish Portesi was able to be purchased and shipped online. I was contemplating asking one of you guys to do it, but I don't think it's really feasible to ship frozen foods.

I guess I'll just have to find some other unhealthy cheese related thing to eat and use my imagination.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Superrodan posted:

Man I wish Portesi was able to be purchased and shipped online. I was contemplating asking one of you guys to do it, but I don't think it's really feasible to ship frozen foods.

I guess I'll just have to find some other unhealthy cheese related thing to eat and use my imagination.

buy whatever cheesy breadstick thing there is in your local grocery store, I doubt it will be all that different than CHEESE FRIES to be honest

I usually get the cheesesticks from Papa John's just to remind myself how thoroughly average a treat it can be

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm severely tempted to make my own from scratch this year

Do you think a pizza base would work or should it be a breadier dough?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Pizza base works just fine, imo.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm severely tempted to make my own from scratch this year

Do you think a pizza base would work or should it be a breadier dough?

For a closer to Portesi experience -- thin crust, garlic butter, mozzarella, more garlic, probably more butter, and marinara sauce to dip

Just want cheese fries? Grab a crust, garlic butter, mozz

want topperstix? get a big lump of pizza dough, garlic butter, load on the mozz

E: load on the cheese anyway, it's the best part of the fries

little_firebird fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 6, 2016

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

CrashCat posted:

Even talking about previous years' questions is kind of risky, I would avoid it if at all possible

We land on the side of extreme caution due to being a primarily internet organized team so our policy is not to distribute any questions from any years.

So don't loving do it. Thanks

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

rawillkill posted:

We land on the side of extreme caution due to being a primarily internet organized team so our policy is not to distribute any questions from any years.

So don't loving do it. Thanks

CALM DOWN RA WILL KILL

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

H2SO4 posted:

CALM DOWN RA WILL KILL

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Can we get one or two thread mods like CNN and rawillkill for any leaks into the thread during trivia time ? That way they can be on the ball, edit posts and quoted instances, and the regular mods need not be bothered

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

simplefish posted:

Can we get one or two thread mods like CNN and rawillkill for any leaks into the thread during trivia time ? That way they can be on the ball, edit posts and quoted instances, and the regular mods need not be bothered

Are individual thread mods even a thing?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Hockles posted:

Are individual thread mods even a thing?
If I recall, so far the policy of "Ra will obliterate you if you break the rule" has worked and we haven't had to do anything like that. Someone else might know more specifically though

noobhedron
Sep 29, 2006
Ducky

worrywort posted:

I am way too excited about another round of trivia! May our google be strong and our fries be cheesy.

noobhedron checking in as well, hopefully we can keep the top-10 train going strong!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
You guys want a new thread title while we're at it?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

8 track betamax posted:

you should work "6 Sick Stick Shifts" in there somehow because

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

8 track betamax posted:

"Trivia 47: Mystery pictures on Monday, contest starts 4/15"

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Athanatos posted:

This please!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

CrashCat posted:

you should work "6 Sick Stick Shifts" in there somehow because

This better be in our team name.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Athanatos posted:

oh there you go being all practical again :allears:

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Thanks Betamax!

I'm so pumped, next week can't come soon enough!

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Teddybear posted:

This better be in our team name.

It is our team name, Trivial Fursuit: 6 Sick Stick Shifts.

Now we just need to stay in the top 5 all weekend so I get to hear all the mushmouths trying to read that out.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
This photo thing means there are some photos released ahead of time that we can research prior to the actual contest start?

If so I guess I'll try and join up on IRC sooner than later to help out.

I guess there's a rule about posting things questions and pictures publicly in the official rules? I see everyone was really against, but as this will be my first year participating I'm not real sure about all of that. Not that I would have anyways, but just curious.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yeah one reason is just that the quiz owns its questions

The other is that one year we lost a place because someone posted a picture and what we had worked out so far 'helpfully' and it led to another team seeing our work, getting the points, and we weren't able to get the answer in the end.

I did report it but it took hours to be taken down, hence my suggestion of temporary trivia mods

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Oh certainly don't want to post anything we found. I didn't realize the quiz runners cared that much about the questions being reposted elsewhere though.

What would stop someone from another team just coming here and posting everything in this thread to try and get us banned? Or vice versa? It's like mailing drugs to someone else. They may get a search at worst, but they aren't going to get arrested because you can't prove who did it.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Aredna posted:

Oh certainly don't want to post anything we found. I didn't realize the quiz runners cared that much about the questions being reposted elsewhere though.

What would stop someone from another team just coming here and posting everything in this thread to try and get us banned? Or vice versa? It's like mailing drugs to someone else. They may get a search at worst, but they aren't going to get arrested because you can't prove who did it.

:ssh: Don't give them ideas

As far as I know, nothing. The honor system, I guess, since most people who take Trivia serious enough to try hard take it serious enough not to cheat since that ruins all the fun. The potential thread of it makes Simplefish' idea of trivia mods seem even more useful, though.

And welcome to your first year of trivia, you're gonna love it!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Man with Hat posted:

And welcome to your first year of trivia, you're gonna love it!
And if you suck at it, there's still space for you in the music room :shobon:

Merrill
Dec 30, 2008

Challenged by gravity
Fun Shoe
Hooray trivia! I can't wait!
Luckily (unluckily?) my workplace got rid of our bound collections of Life Magazine, so I won't be tempted to hole up in my office for the weekend.

Definitely going to have to make some homemade cheese fries this year.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Haven't some prior year questions already been shared in the thread? Or were those questions taken from the contest we ran ourselves? Shows how good my memory is that I can't tell the difference (even after helping to RUN our contest).

If you want some good practice, check out the 90FM Trivia page on Facebook! Daily questions have been posted ever since last year's contest ended, so if you want to test yourself, go see what's safely available to the public. Since Oz is responsible for ALL these questions, it's good practice for the main contest itself!

https://www.facebook.com/90FMTrivia

Here's today's question: This picture appeared on a record album released in the mid-2000's. What is the name of the album?

We also have a running spreadsheet which documents all Facebook questions and answers from the past year, but I'm not crazy enough to link it in this thread and provoke Ra. Come by the chat room if you want a link to the spreadsheet.

MYSTERY PICS are loads of fun, and they'll be made available to us on Monday. They're extremely hard to identify, so get acquainted with IRC's ancient functions today, and you'll be ready for Monday's frenzied Googling. Reminder -- DON'T POST THESE TO IMGUR OR ANY OTHER PUBLIC IMAGE-SHARING SERVICE. You CAN safely share images with family and friends, provided the pictures are kept secure.

One other important thing -- there's always a movie. Every year the week before trivia, the town of Stevens Point descends on some theater and watches a movie that'll come up multiple times during the contest. Once we know what the movie is, even if you're already obsessively familiar with the movie's every details, it's a GREAT idea to make time during the weekend for a re-watch. You never know what kind of obscure bullshit will be asked about the movie.

gently caress, it might even be some Billboard rankings nonsense about a song that appears in the movie's third soundtrack album but didn't appear in the movie itself. Or the grandfather of the lead actor. Or the words printed on a cookie tin seen in the background for 0.25 seconds of a scene where someone's talking on the phone.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Aredna posted:

The reality is that most (if not all) of the other teams are interested in competition and have no interest in getting us banned. We have talked to members in several top 10 (and top 20) teams. I would say we have a fairly good relationship with them. Ultimately I don't think that is a concern.

As for the questions themselves, they ask the pictures not to be posted anywhere online (that is not private to team members) and that also applies to the questions. There are 30 mystery pictures to identify and we will have them sometime after 4-5pm Eastern on Monday. At this point we will begin to try identifying what they are. Examples from previous years are a picture of an actor, and then you try to figure out who the actor is, what movie or show it is from, just anything to try and provide context to the image.

All that being said, if you want to hear some questions (or see some pictures) from previous years, you can get all of that by joining in IRC and just asking, someone in that channel will show you some examples.

Merrill posted:

Luckily (unluckily?) my workplace got rid of our bound collections of Life Magazine, so I won't be tempted to hole up in my office for the weekend.

Lucky for you all of LIFE is on Google books.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Are we getting the pictures really late this year? I feel like we've had more than ~4 days to research these in the past

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

No they've always come out the Monday before the contest. If we had more people looking at them during those four days though we'd probably get at least a few hundred more points. Some are fairly easy to find, some are so ridiculously hard that literally no team found it, the question was worth nothing and we STILL have no idea where it came from.

Edit:

quote:

[12:42:01] Buane> gotta start with something relaxing and simple like Dark Souls before plunging headfirst into the brick wall of insanity that is Trivia Pictures

Blackajack fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I spent way too long last year trying to find the exact magazine ad containing a picture of a mascot we had already identified, even going as far as to contact the designer who made a similar ad, because I thought the question would be about more than just identifying the brand.

The question was just "identify the brand" and the magazine ad more than likely does not actually exist.

Trivia is great.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 7, 2016

• Locked thread