Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Infinity Engine games were full of jokey reference NPCs/items and throw-away joke lines even back in 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'll have to finish the game, but from the hour or so I played last night the writing seemed fine. Not to look back at it with rose-tinted glasses, but I remember enjoying the writing more in Torment, but that did have the better setting.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

A person I follow on Tumblr posted some of the more egregious reviews and I am pretty darn angry right now.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Scyther posted:

My favorite thing about Infinity Engine games has always been the dank memes.

this but unironically

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Infinity Engine games were full of jokey reference NPCs/items and throw-away joke lines even back in 1998.

1998 Baldur's Gate: I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. If it bleeds, I can kill it. I am the law!

2016 Baldur's Gate: i can haz cheezburger?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Scyther posted:

1998 Baldur's Gate: I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. If it bleeds, I can kill it. I am the law!

Gosh, it's almost as if people make references to different things 18 years later. :rolleyes:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Oh no, jokes! Whatever shall we do??

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

All of those references from 1998 actually made sense in their respective contexts within the game and the characters speaking them though.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you care way too much about something that really isn't even the weak point in the writing of a game, dude

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

You are right, in order for something to be considered "the weak point" in the writing, there would have to be strong points somewhere in the writing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I just saw some of these reviews on my dashboard and I must say, they got me pretty incensed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scyther posted:

This is super not topical for 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

I just saw some of these reviews on my dashboard and I must say, they got me pretty incensed.

Care to elaborate?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Scyther posted:

You are right, in order for something to be considered "the weak point" in the writing, there would have to be strong points somewhere in the writing.

It's basically filler content, and it offers up nothing that modders haven't already done better :smith:

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 6, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Serf posted:

Care to elaborate?

Standard evil SJW fare, really, they're just worded in such a way that I really want to momentarily abandon my normally pacific nature, reach through the screen, grab them by the hair and beat then on their keyboard until I hear something that isn't the computer break.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

Standard evil SJW fare, really, they're just worded in such a way that I really want to momentarily abandon my normally pacific nature, reach through the screen, grab them by the hair and beat then on their keyboard until I hear something that isn't the computer break.

That sucks because there's plenty to criticize besides that (the bugs, the poor writing in general, the broken multiplayer (again), the fact that it breaks all the mods for the EE's of BG1 and BG2) but Beamdog really won't be paying attention to those.

Serf
May 5, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Standard evil skeleton fare, really, they're just worded in such a way that I really want to momentarily abandon my normally pacific nature, reach through the screen, grab them by the hair and beat then on their keyboard until I hear something that isn't the computer break.

Welcome to the culture war, yo. Any hint of progress or pushback against the regressive idiots in entertainment and you get tons of shitheads crawling out of the woodwork to review brigade and spout bullshit. Hope you like it, because this is the future.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bedlamdan posted:

That sucks because there's plenty to criticize besides that (the bugs, the poor writing in general, the broken multiplayer (again), the fact that it breaks all the mods for the EE's of BG1 and BG2) but Beamdog really won't be paying attention to those.

The devs have released two patches in as many days to make bugfixes, though?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

The devs have released two patches in as many days to make bugfixes, though?

I'm still waiting for a few more patches before I even think of purchasing it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Serf posted:

Welcome to the culture war, yo. Any hint of progress or pushback against the regressive idiots in entertainment and you get tons of shitheads crawling out of the woodwork to review brigade and spout bullshit. Hope you like it, because this is the future.
The official Shadowrun Tumblr put it like this:

quote:

This criticism is the desperate cries of dinosaurs as they struggle against the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction. It’s loud and violent, and in the end it’s just as successful.

I am going to cling to this hope like sea urchin if that's all the same for you.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scyther posted:

All of those references from 1998 actually made sense in their respective contexts within the game and the characters speaking them though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

this guy looks badass

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

To someone who doesn't know much about Wolverine there's nothing weird about Bub Snikt, or anything he says. Larry Darryll and Darryll is a bit of a weird and jarring one, admittedly, but it's essentially an easter egg you could easily miss, not really on the same level as out of place and out of character banter from Minsc, a prominent companion throughout the series, that it seems everyone who's played the game has encountered. It'd be like Khalid calling Jaheira his "Bae" or Imoen talking about making the sword coast great again.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Scyther posted:

To someone who doesn't know much about Wolverine there's nothing weird about Bub Snikt, or anything he says.

The odds of someone playing a BG1 expansion in 2016 and not knowing where "it's about ethics in X" comes from are greater than the odds of someone playing BG1 in 1998 never having heard of Wolverine.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The point is that they didn't put any effort into writing the line into the game in a way that didn't seem out of place. Much like they didn't put any effort into writing their "diverse" characters to not be token and one-dimensional. And yet they're being hailed as civil rights champions by virtue of the gaming community being incredibly lovely.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Scyther posted:

The point is that they didn't put any effort into writing the line into the game in a way that didn't seem out of place. Much like they didn't put any effort into writing their "diverse" characters to not be token and one-dimensional. And yet they're being hailed as civil rights champions by virtue of the gaming community being incredibly lovely.

The counter-point being that there's nothing more "ham-handed" or "shoved in your face" about the trans NPC than there was in the original lazy references, so those complaints don't really hold water.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It's almost as if inclusion and diversity are important subjects that deserve meaningful representation and a level of thoughtfulness that pop culture references don't necessitate.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, it's real dumb to have Minsc have a single line you get from clicking on him a bunch, not at all like the lovely gnome who quotes the Simpsons. Come the gently caress on. You're giving the rest of Baldur's Gate a pass because you were, like, 14 when you played it. His line is no better or no worse then any of the other dumb things in that game.

Dragonspear is literally and obviously the target of the hatemob. Like, this is super easily confirmable just by looking around a tiny bit. Unsurprisingly it's the same people who got real angry at Blizzard for taking out a pointless rear end shot in one of their games, because I guess censorship only counts when blah blah blah.

Also lmao at the newest shithead who thinks literally just stating that a person exists is some kind of in your face political statement.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also most of the people loudly up in arms over the character in question are doing so because they exist period, not because of how badly they may be written. If you want to criticise the game on those grounds then fine, but it's not what most folks are doing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's about quality in game writing. :ssh:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I will openly admit that Baldur's Gate was bad, but 2 was not. I'm not denying that Dragonspear is the target of a hate mob, it just so happens that it's also a buggy mess with bad writing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Scyther posted:

I will openly admit that Baldur's Gate was bad, but 2 was not. I'm not denying that Dragonspear is the target of a hate mob, it just so happens that it's also a buggy mess with bad writing.

Okay but those are two orthogonal points. People aren't hating on it for their technical issues, and while maybe in some abstract sense it's a shame that those issues are being overshadowed by this other thing, well, maybe you should be taking that up with the people shouting about too much inclusion in their video games.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Pieces of Peace posted:

The counter-point being that there's nothing more "ham-handed" or "shoved in your face" about the trans NPC than there was in the original lazy references, so those complaints don't really hold water.

The core problem is that the people playing the game are twenty years older now, and the lazy approach to referential humor that was goddamned hilarious when they were twelve is recognizable as embarrassing by a thirty-year old.

On a tangential note, complaining about a Bioware NPC dumping their backstory on you with no provocation is lol as gently caress. Bioware worldbuilding has always been a function of the four dialogue options' worth of unprompted exposition around "please go to [dungeon] and get me [item]." Yes, random doctor on Taris, I definitely care about why you have dedicated your life to fighting a plague that turns poor people into zombies. Please, do go on.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Scyther posted:

It's almost as if inclusion and diversity are important subjects that deserve meaningful representation and a level of thoughtfulness that pop culture references don't necessitate.

What does it say about the state of representation that people will get so excited over being represented by a one-note stereotype? We will take anything.

(Note that I haven't done anything with the character in question, so I can't speak to how their writing is yet.)

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, it's real dumb to have Minsc have a single line you get from clicking on him a bunch, not at all like the lovely gnome who quotes the Simpsons. Come the gently caress on. You're giving the rest of Baldur's Gate a pass because you were, like, 14 when you played it. His line is no better or no worse then any of the other dumb things in that game.

No, no. Like I said, Minsc says it on his own, and if Beamdog is to be believed it's also bugged so he says it very often. It's not one of those funny quotes they say only if you click them enough times.

Baldur's Gate 1 was always lovely and gratuitous with its references, but at least it didn't try to paint the NPC synonymous with the franchise as a fedora-tipper or w/e. At least give it to that one evil aligned bard from BG1 whose name I never bothered to recall. Eldoth?

quote:

Unsurprisingly it's the same people who got real angry at Blizzard for taking out a pointless rear end shot in one of their games, because I guess censorship only counts when blah blah blah.

They took it out and replaced it with an actual pin-up pose that also includes her butt, so I have no idea why Blizzard even bothered in the first place.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The trans NPC is the most baldur's gate thing about the dragonspear. NPC has something odd (in this case a wierd name) one of your dialogue options is to ask about said wierd thing. They give a long explanation of wierd thing. This happens with a good 50% of talkable npcs in the game.

The Mincs line is unfortunate because I like Mincs and I'd prefer to not associate him with gamergate even ironically.

In general though the Beamdog writing remains slightly better than BG1 but still much worse than BG2. Which is too bad.

Ze Pollack posted:

The core problem is that the people playing the game are twenty years older now, and the lazy approach to referential humor that was goddamned hilarious when they were twelve is recognizable as embarrassing by a thirty-year old.

On a tangential note, complaining about a Bioware NPC dumping their backstory on you with no provocation is lol as gently caress. Bioware worldbuilding has always been a function of the four dialogue options' worth of unprompted exposition around "please go to [dungeon] and get me [item]." Yes, random doctor on Taris, I definitely care about why you have dedicated your life to fighting a plague that turns poor people into zombies. Please, do go on.

Something to note is that although Baldur's Gate was published by Bioware it was written and created by Black Isle the guys who now work at Obsidian. Hence why the Infinity Engine is a buggy mess in general not just in the new expansion, and the writing was generally better than Bioware from BG2 onward.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terrible Opinions posted:

Something to note is that although Baldur's Gate was published by Bioware it was written and created by Black Isle the guys who now work at Obsidian.
That's... exactly the opposite of how it went.

EDIT: To clarify, Black Isle did the other IE games - Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale. However, Baldur's Gate - and the Infinty Engine itself - was Bioware's work.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Scyther posted:

I'm not convinced the issues are fabricated. Some people I trust have been saying ever since BG:EE and BG2:EE came out that all the content added by Beamdog was really bad and stood in stark contrast to the original content. I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if Beamdog making a full-length game would result in a complete mess.

I mean I'd love to believe that there is an important battle to be fought here to save an innocent game from injustice, but it seems like just a bunch of vocal idiots giving free publicity to a bad game by virtue of their inability to say anything without screaming "EVIL SJWS ARE CRAMMING THEIR AGENDA INTO OUR BELOVED FANTASY NOSTALGIAFEST"

Oh, sure. I was never convinced that the issues were fabricated. Just, I don't trust even seemingly unrelated negative user reviews on anything if malicious brigading has occurred. This is solidly in "I would double check with a reliable source to see if the crashes were real before believing it", territory. If they are, okay, fair enough. Just, the point is, if you've got a group with a long track record of dishonesty and weird double speak trying to get a product's user reviews to be as bad as possible, it makes it hard to trust the user reviews in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also lmao at the newest shithead who thinks literally just stating that a person exists is some kind of in your face political statement.

It's sad to say, but given the way things are in geek culture a person's existence in a fictional work is a political issue. Anything can be made into a political issue, and politics reflect cultural trends.

When Captain America fought Nazis in his first issue, it was political because the US at the time had a lot of fifth columnists who were supportive of Hitler's policies, and many politicians wanted to stay out of the war for various reasons.

Same for having characters come out as gay in early 2000s shows, when political figures were winning elections in no small part due to anti-gay sentiment.

Same story for Marvel's Kamela Khan, being a Muslim superhero where most people of said religion in media have been villains.

And so on and so forth.

So it's not in your face, but it is a 'political statement' in an odd way, just as political as having your cast of characters be all straight, or or trans-free, and so on. A statement saying "no, you're wrong, I'm working against the grain to have characters like this who aren't villains/comic relief/etc."

It's also a case of selective interpretation. There was an older character in Baldur's Gate who got afflicted with a sex-changing curse, but that didn't get a lot of complaints at the time. And was played as comic relief. So it's less existence and more "does this character fit society's traditional narrative?" in determining what is 'political.'

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 6, 2016

• Locked thread