Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PBCrunch posted:

So is there any chance the next Pi revision could get USB 3.0 (or 3.1)? That seems like it would solve a lot of the RasPi's problems. It would be great if they could upgrade from USB 2.0 to 3.0 and figure out some way to boot from something other than FAT32 partitions on slow, unreliable microSD cards.

It is more likely that they split the ethernet stuff off of the single USB bus first (and finally upgrade the GPU...), since that's what other similar cards do. None of the cheap mini-computers like this seem to implement USB 3.0, although if you need it you can go to ~$100 tier devices it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

It is more likely that they split the ethernet stuff off of the single USB bus first (and finally upgrade the GPU...), since that's what other similar cards do. None of the cheap mini-computers like this seem to implement USB 3.0, although if you need it you can go to ~$100 tier devices it seems.

The odroid xu4 has USB3, it's a bit pricier at $75. It has a better CPU and GPU than the pi3. The only advantage the pi3 has is the built in wifi and bluetooth, which might be a reason to stick with the pi if you want to reduce the amount of extra crap you have to connect to your device. There's also more community support and third party add ons for the RaspPI, but if you're looking for more power in a similar form factor the XU4 or even the C2 are great.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have a headless Pi that is connected via ethernet. I'd like to be able to SSH over bluetooth in case something goes wrong with my network (or I break the networking by messing with /etc/networking/interfaces). Is there a gold standard how-to for this? Everything I found references commands that are out of date. One would think that with Pi 3 this would be a hot item.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

I have a headless Pi that is connected via ethernet. I'd like to be able to SSH over bluetooth in case something goes wrong with my network (or I break the networking by messing with /etc/networking/interfaces). Is there a gold standard how-to for this? Everything I found references commands that are out of date. One would think that with Pi 3 this would be a hot item.

Buy a $10 hc05 Bluetooth serial module, they work great.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Just posting to say I got my Pine A64+ with 2 GB RAM in today - I had the "ships in March" tier pledge and they did indeed ship it out of China in late march.

Got one of the minimal disk images running just to test out and that worked, currently waiting for a more complete image to download.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fishmech posted:

Just posting to say I got my Pine A64+ with 2 GB RAM in today - I had the "ships in March" tier pledge and they did indeed ship it out of China in late march.

Got one of the minimal disk images running just to test out and that worked, currently waiting for a more complete image to download.

How's the performance?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

How's the performance?

My only point of comparison is the Raspberry Pi 1 it used to have, but it's a lot faster than that. It's actually pleasant to use for normal web browsing, and the gigabit ethernet is really handy. It's a bit annoying getting up and running because not many people have them yet, but right now it has Debian 8 running fine.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The Chromium for ARM SBCs would be very interesting on that board.

As for the BT thing, I'd rather use one of the $3 USB BT adapters I already have, if possible.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

My only point of comparison is the Raspberry Pi 1 it used to have, but it's a lot faster than that. It's actually pleasant to use for normal web browsing, and the gigabit ethernet is really handy. It's a bit annoying getting up and running because not many people have them yet, but right now it has Debian 8 running fine.

Is that the normal Debian image or something that Pine created?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been doing some periodic searching for the past year-ish and haven't been able to find something like this.

Are there any good ARM boards available or in the works for Q3/Q4 with 8GB RAM? I've seen some with 4GB, which would be adequate... What about 4GB RAM with USB 3.0 and that can boot from SATA? It doesn't have to be as small as humanly possible, either. I do have some space in this case, but the extra can be filled up with more batteries and maybe some silly poo poo depending on how everything will fit together. I have a stupid genius plan that will involve an upcycled laptop case, a bit of 3d printing, dremeling, hot glue, solder, and the Japanese Kintsugi aesthetic.

Ideally, I want some kind of relatively powerful quad+core ARM SoC with 8GB RAM, USB 3.0, and SATA boot, but I am willing to moderate that based on what is available at a reasonable price, but it seems difficult to even find one with 4GB.

inb4:

I've seen the CuBox 4i4 or whatever, but it's probably going to be too small and not have enough in the way of features for what I want to do.

I've also seen the Juno, which def. has the horsepower and is totally what I would want, but it's one of those ARM Dev boards that isn't really intended for individual hobbyists (though I'm sure that I would be able to get it running) and I'd bet that any inquiries I sent to them would be immediately dismissed. Also, it seems buggy as gently caress, like the HDMI only works with *some* monitors. It's def. not ideal apart from the gross specifications.

---Finally

Does anyone have any experience with any of this company's stuff? This Nitrogen 6MAX seems like it may have everything I would need and that price is acceptable...

https://boundarydevices.com/product/nitrogen6max/

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

osirisisdead posted:

I've been doing some periodic searching for the past year-ish and haven't been able to find something like this.

Are there any good ARM boards available or in the works for Q3/Q4 with 8GB RAM? I've seen some with 4GB, which would be adequate... What about 4GB RAM with USB 3.0 and that can boot from SATA? It doesn't have to be as small as humanly possible, either. I do have some space in this case, but the extra can be filled up with more batteries and maybe some silly poo poo depending on how everything will fit together. I have a stupid genius plan that will involve an upcycled laptop case, a bit of 3d printing, dremeling, hot glue, solder, and the Japanese Kintsugi aesthetic.

Ideally, I want some kind of relatively powerful quad+core ARM SoC with 8GB RAM, USB 3.0, and SATA boot, but I am willing to moderate that based on what is available at a reasonable price, but it seems difficult to even find one with 4GB.

inb4:

I've seen the CuBox 4i4 or whatever, but it's probably going to be too small and not have enough in the way of features for what I want to do.

I've also seen the Juno, which def. has the horsepower and is totally what I would want, but it's one of those ARM Dev boards that isn't really intended for individual hobbyists (though I'm sure that I would be able to get it running) and I'd bet that any inquiries I sent to them would be immediately dismissed. Also, it seems buggy as gently caress, like the HDMI only works with *some* monitors. It's def. not ideal apart from the gross specifications.

---Finally

Does anyone have any experience with any of this company's stuff? This Nitrogen 6MAX seems like it may have everything I would need and that price is acceptable...

https://boundarydevices.com/product/nitrogen6max/

If it doesn't have to be ARM there are a multitude of low-power Atom boards that might fit, although you would have to deal with a larger itx footprint rather than something the size of a playing card. Check out linuxgizmos.com.

If you're building a netbook then you could also look at netbook motherboards sold as parts/replacements.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really do want to do ARM. If I wanted an x86 system, I'd just spring for a Macbook Air...

This is a full size 15" laptop case and so I have a whole lot of space inside and really don't need to worry about that.

The annoying hardware-related part is going to be hooking up the perephrials, like the existing keyboard and touchpad, and routing the connections to external ports.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ItBurns posted:

Is that the normal Debian image or something that Pine created?

It's neither, I'm using the one from this thread on their forums http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=497

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

osirisisdead posted:

I really do want to do ARM. If I wanted an x86 system, I'd just spring for a Macbook Air...

This is a full size 15" laptop case and so I have a whole lot of space inside and really don't need to worry about that.

The annoying hardware-related part is going to be hooking up the perephrials, like the existing keyboard and touchpad, and routing the connections to external ports.

ARM boards aren't necessarily any more/less powerful than Atom/Celeron boards, and I'm not sure where/how you made the leap from cobbling a laptop together from trash and buying a new Air. What is so attractive about ARM to you?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you want an ARM laptop buy a Chromebook with an ARM processor.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Background: I'm asking on behalf of a co-worker. We have a wired ethernet-only device. The co-worker is determined to use the Pi as a single device router.

I basically followed this guide step by step: http://www.g7smy.co.uk/?p=505. The Mac laptop I used detected the connected network cable but gave an APIPA when I tried the config via DHCP. If I static 192.168.2.52 on the Mac, it shows as connected but it cannot ping 8.8.8.8 - it either gives request timeout or no route to host. Just to confirm, the USB aircard connects to the internet basically automatically and without problems.

I know nothing about Linux to proceed on my own, and I don't think my guy has gone so far as to ask for help from people who know. He seems to be of the opinion that asking for help =/= you don't learn anything.

Anyone know anything I can try?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

ItBurns posted:

ARM boards aren't necessarily any more/less powerful than Atom/Celeron boards, and I'm not sure where/how you made the leap from cobbling a laptop together from trash and buying a new Air. What is so attractive about ARM to you?

I didn't realize that an HD LCD and a brand new ARM board was considered "trash". The point was that if I wanted an x86 laptop, I wouldn't be doing this project at all, I would just buy a Macbook Air. And it's not a "processing power" thing. I've been interested in playing with assembly and would rather play on a RISC platform and would rather play on something that can do other things, too. I would also like to be another set of eyeballs in the ARM SoC arena, because I want to support something other than the Intel hegemony in the CPU market. Is that enough inane justification for you?

mod sassinator posted:

If you want an ARM laptop buy a Chromebook with an ARM processor.

Chromebooks aren't real computers. They are toys for children.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 7, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

osirisisdead posted:

They are as real as whatever you plan to hack up. You know you can usually wipe the original ChromeOS garbage off of them, right?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Software-wise you are correct, but I'm more talking about the strength of the case than needing to chroot a debian file system or whatever. I want this thing to be somewhat drop (and shop, so dust) proof and will be setting the board up with some closed cell foam blocks for some drop resistance padding and will use forced air cooling similar to what is already inside the case. FYI, I'm starting from a Toughbook case. I plan to replace the bezel, port covers, and some other bits with printed parts. If you want to sell me a Toughbook with an HD screen for the ~500 USD that it will cost me to do this, be my guest.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 7, 2016

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If you just want to play with assembly use an emulator like QEMU. You can get in and do all kinds of useful debugging. You can also play with other platforms and chips easily.

I don't think you realize how annoying ARM systems are day to day for desktop use. For example you can't run binaries you download from the internet like the Arduino IDE--they don't release ARM compiled builds. Sure you can get all the source code and build it yourself but then you need to get an ARM Java build and all kinds of other ARM stuff. Take it from people that run Linux on ARM chromebooks--it's a royal pain with no benefit and worse performance compared to x86.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think you realize that I do know exactly what I am doing, and do know exactly what I want except I posted here to see if any goons had any market knowledge that I didn't have. Thank you for your constructive criticism, but I have had my mind set on this project for a few years now and having to compile some code is far from a terrifying prospect. I've hand-edited and compiled kernel driver modules from source. I've cross compiled ARM kernels on this laptop that I am typing on right now and loaded them into a raspi. I'll be a'ight, bruv.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 8, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

osirisisdead posted:

I'm gonna disagree pretty strongly with this. Some of the more premium chromebooks are the best built laptops under $1k I've seen and felt.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm gonna disagree pretty strongly with this. Some of the more premium chromebooks are the best built laptops under $1k I've seen and felt.

Well made and expensive toys exist.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Serenade posted:

Well made and expensive toys exist.

What's the line that makes it a toy then? You can run Linux on a Chromebook, you aren't limited to ChromeOS.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

osirisisdead posted:

I don't think you realize that I do know exactly what I am doing, and do know exactly what I want except I posted here to see if any goons had any market knowledge that I didn't have. Thank you for your constructive criticism, but I have had my mind set on this project for a few years now and having to compile some code is far from a terrifying prospect. I've hand-edited and compiled kernel driver modules from source. I've cross compiled ARM kernels on this laptop that I am typing on right now and loaded them into a raspi. I'll be a'ight, bruv.

:allears:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

osirisisdead posted:

For something like that I might go for a board that also supports SATA, to allow for decent storage.

One reason I can to adopt a cheap ARM board is that you plan to do a lot of hardware hacking, so if you fry a board you can just pull it, slot another one in, and keep going.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

fishmech posted:

It's neither, I'm using the one from this thread on their forums http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=497

Ugh, sucks to have to always use someone's random image to make these boards work.

I long for the day all of the official distros just work when their image is just put on an SD card formatted for FAT with a custom booter, maybe some driver modules, and a config file next to it.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

eschaton posted:

Ugh, sucks to have to always use someone's random image to make these boards work.

I long for the day all of the official distros just work when their image is just put on an SD card formatted for FAT with a custom booter, maybe some driver modules, and a config file next to it.

Same. Downloading random images from someone with an anime avatar is loving gross.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wouldn't do it.

https://github.com/lennyraposo/linux-pine64

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I'm looking for a way to power my Pi from mains voltage, without having to use a cumbersome phone style charger.

I want to have 240v AC (UK mains) coming in on two wires, going through an AC->DC converter in-line with the cable, coming out to a microUSB powering the Pi. I've tried searching on Amazon but I'm either using the wrong terms or there's nothing available due to possible safety issues (people zapping themselves through not turning mains voltage off first).

There's got to be a major use case for this kind of adaptor, so I don't know why I can't find one. Any ideas?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

DeaconBlues posted:

I'm looking for a way to power my Pi from mains voltage, without having to use a cumbersome phone style charger.

I want to have 240v AC (UK mains) coming in on two wires, going through an AC->DC converter in-line with the cable, coming out to a microUSB powering the Pi. I've tried searching on Amazon but I'm either using the wrong terms or there's nothing available due to possible safety issues (people zapping themselves through not turning mains voltage off first).

There's got to be a major use case for this kind of adaptor, so I don't know why I can't find one. Any ideas?

There's a certain minimum size for AC->DC converters since they need to have components like transformers and such in them, I don't think you'll find something that can hide in a cable. However the Pi only pulls a few watts so even a small cell charger that can output an amp or two at 5v should be fine. Get a little official Apple iPhone charger and it will work great and not be that large.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I've got it running on a phone charger at the moment. It's for a project involving switching a boiler on and off.

This is my setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1QhqZyoLbA

As you can see, I have a standard phone charger bagged up inside the boiler at the moment. I'm not looking for anything as slim as the cable itself: just something maybe the size of a matchbox in line with the cable would do. While the inside of the boiler doesn't get much warmer than room temperature (excess heat is evacuated through a flue at the rear) I think it would be a much smarter job with something smaller in there.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

DeaconBlues posted:

If size is the concern then use an official UK iphone charger and plug your usb-microusb cable into it - its literally the same size as a normal 13A plug.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
That looks better than the one I'm using. The idea of a cable based solution is to eliminate the need to have the other half in the cabinet also: I've got a UK socket wired to the 240V feed from the boiler switch junction, hence the reason I have a bag taped around the socket/plug combo.

If I had a cable I could wire it straight into the chocolate block connector on the boiler's switch box. The only bulky item would be whatever transformer circuit is built into the cable. I'm assuming this would be much smaller than the current solution.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It won't be.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AC to DC rectification is not something you can magically make tiny. 5VDC at 2A is a couple square inches of circuitry, even when we can fit huge computing power on the same size board.

Look at laptop chargers. Sure, the power trucks have increased in wattage, but the size has only about halved in 15 years.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's a major issue, google has been running contests to get the size down for rectifiers and some really cool new technology has come out of it, but we're years away before that tech trickles down to the consumer level. Apple chargers are probably the best technology you can buy at the moment, which is why they keep suggesting them.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

DeaconBlues posted:

That looks better than the one I'm using. The idea of a cable based solution is to eliminate the need to have the other half in the cabinet also: I've got a UK socket wired to the 240V feed from the boiler switch junction, hence the reason I have a bag taped around the socket/plug combo.

If I had a cable I could wire it straight into the chocolate block connector on the boiler's switch box. The only bulky item would be whatever transformer circuit is built into the cable. I'm assuming this would be much smaller than the current solution.

Please modify your solution to not involve wrapping things in bags and cleartext passwords for SSH.

Less time than it takes to use garbage as electrical insulation in a wet environment: My First 5 Minutes On A Server; Or, Essential Security for Linux Servers

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 10, 2016

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I've just moved home and I don't have Internet piped into my router yet. All of the devices connected to my router are currently living in their own segregated microcosm. I've used key based auth on the Pi before and that was one of the things on my todo list when I finally get Internet.

As for the bag: it's a stopgap solution until I find something better, hence my original question about an in line cable.

Edit: Thanks for the advice. I replied when I'd just woke up and realised my reply sounded a bit cunty.

DeaconBlues fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Are there any cheap single-board x86 computers out there? All I really want it to do is run gdbserver against x86 binaries, so a NUC would be way overkill.

I'm using an old MacBook 2,1 that I put Ubuntu on at the moment, but it's less than ideal.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 11, 2016