Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

bikesonyx posted:

Redneck science mostly. It has the same symptoms from when the 1st fuel pump died. I pulled the fuse, which created a no run condition.

From what I researched if they FPR was bad it would still run, I just came back a few weeks ago from a 400 mile round trip, no fuel in the engine bay

Here is a video I shot with the new fuel pump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V4FJy0liOc&app=desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Not that anyone cares probably, but I finally got a hold of that guy selling the supra. Gonna meet with him this weekend and if the frame and everything is okay I'll be purchasing my first (project) car.

Well I've only really bought trucks before so having something with power that doesn't weigh over 2 tonnes will be nice.

Everyone in this thread cares. We are all jealous. That car, if it is as advertised, is beautiful. And you would be beautiful for buying it. :3:

I am so jealous.

One day I will find a 93 MR2 to restore and my wife will be totally ok with it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Everyone in this thread cares. We are all jealous. That car, if it is as advertised, is beautiful. And you would be beautiful for buying it. :3:

I am so jealous.

One day I will find a 93 MR2 to restore and my wife will be totally ok with it.

How big of a life insurance policy will you take out before having her find out about snapback oversteer?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Christobevii3 posted:

How big of a life insurance policy will you take out before having her find out about snapback oversteer?

I had an 85, it's an MR myth. You just can't let it toe out through hard corners.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Some car CVTs use the pulley system you're familiar with, just with a chain in place of the belt. Others use a toroidal type:

then there's the toyota hybrid transmission, which while it is a transmission which is continuously variable, it's not really grouped with mechanical CVTs for transmitting power from a single source.

Thanks! I didn't actually know about those. I did find something more towards what I was looking for which is some kind of bastard hydrostatic/planetary monstrosity

Can't link from mobile but
https://youtu.be/xhmN_CwB9B8

CVT's are... Something.

GopherFlats fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 6, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Prius transmission basically works the same way, just with no clutch packs, fewer shafts/gears, and electric motors in place of hydraulic, one of which can move the car.

99% of the time though when people talk about CVTs they mean the cone or toroidal type, as those are most common in consumer vehicles.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Here's a classroom cutaway of a first gen prius transmission. First and second gen have a chain connecting the planetary to the ring gear.

MG1 is the smaller motor/generator - on the left. MG2 is the larger motor/generator on the right that can drive the wheels directly. You can see the planetary gearset itself between the chain and MG2. It's very small.

There is actually a clutch between the gas engine and the transmission, but it can't be disengaged - it's there to absorb shocks from starting and stopping the gas engine.

MG1 normally will use the gas engine to charge the batteries, and will start the gas engine. MG1 can balance out the output of gas with the electric from MG2 proportionally to get 0%-100% gas power to electric.
MG2 is normally used to drive the wheels electrically, and to regenerate power through electric braking.

The NiMH battery pack in the back is around 200v DC. The inverter steps it up to 650v 3-phase A/C.

From 2010 on - the planetary is connected to the final drive with gears instead of the chain drive.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Is there an AI IRC channel or facebook group?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/180737692131890/?fref=ts

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I always forget to go find that, thanks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Transmissions are boxes made of magic.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

totalnewbie posted:

Transmissions are boxes made of magic.

Black magic.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
1996 Ford Econoline 7.5L. Belt is squeaking in rhythm and it doesn't ever go away unless you spray conditioner on it. Belt appears to be in good shape, should I check the tensioner? How do I know whether it's beyond the point of doing its job?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Age or cracks are the usual telltale signs. If there a bunch of little cracks in the rubber, replace it. If it's older than maybe 5 years, replace it.

Or, alternatively, if you're setting the tension to spec and it still squeaks, replace it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

scuz posted:

1996 Ford Econoline 7.5L. Belt is squeaking in rhythm and it doesn't ever go away unless you spray conditioner on it. Belt appears to be in good shape, should I check the tensioner? How do I know whether it's beyond the point of doing its job?

Take the belt off and give it a close look like Krakkles said. You could also check out the pulleys while you got the belt off. Do any of them have any wobble to them?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

scuz posted:

http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/tools-and-sales-aids/belt-wear-diagnosis/epdm-belt-wear-diagnosis

Serpentine belts can be kind of tricky to check. They can be worn beyond spec and not show cracking. A new belt should have nice fat tops on the ribs and narrow valleys, a worn belt will have pointy ribs and wide valleys.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tips, duderinos (or dudettes, whichever you happen to be). I'll be doing some serpentine sleuthing this evening and report back!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

bikesonyx posted:

Here is a video I shot with the new fuel pump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V4FJy0liOc&app=desktop

That video doesn't tell much but I think the first thing you should do is get a fuel pressure gauge and test the pressure at the rail while you turn the ignition on, but without trying to start the engine. You can either borrow this from most auto parts stores, or you can buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight (mind you my cheap harbor freight one broke very quickly). I doubt that the only failure mode for the pressure regulator is "sprays fuel all over the inside of the engine bay", and if you've experienced the same failure twice in a short amount of time, there's a decent chance you're solving the wrong problem.

In the event that it is the pump: I'm seeing on eeuroparts that you can either buy the whole unit, or else a drop in part that goes into the unit? Is that correct? On later SAABs its just one whole replaceable unit so that's outside my wheelhouse.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

scuz posted:

Spray your idler pulley or tensioner. Probably dragging on a failing bearing

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Checked out the belts and the bigger of the two is looking real not good and has a couple metal bits in it, which probably don't belong:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

InitialDave posted:

I'm looking into a new set of tyres for the Cappuccino, but the size of the tyres mean that most of what's out there are budget/eco options for superminis, so I'm not really sure what to go for.

Standard size is 165/65R14, 175/60R14 would also be fine (the difference in diameter is tiny). I don't want to go up to 185s.

Here are some of the non-ditchfinder contenders I've found so far:

Bridgestone Potenza RE088
Continental PremiumContact 2
Dunlop Streetresponse2
Falken ZE914
Hankook Optimo K415
Vredestein Sportrac 5
Yokohama A539

Anything leap out to people as being a definite best option? Anything that's truly horrific and should be avoided? Something else out there I should look at?

I've had very good luck with Falkens of all tread patterns, so I'm inclined to go with those. The Potenzas are fantastic tires as well, but usually command a premium. The Yokohama will have the longest treadlife of all the tires on your list while still giving good grip.

For the money though I'd probably go with the Falkens.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

SCA Enthusiast posted:

That video doesn't tell much but I think the first thing you should do is get a fuel pressure gauge and test the pressure at the rail while you turn the ignition on, but without trying to start the engine. You can either borrow this from most auto parts stores, or you can buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight (mind you my cheap harbor freight one broke very quickly). I doubt that the only failure mode for the pressure regulator is "sprays fuel all over the inside of the engine bay", and if you've experienced the same failure twice in a short amount of time, there's a decent chance you're solving the wrong problem.

In the event that it is the pump: I'm seeing on eeuroparts that you can either buy the whole unit, or else a drop in part that goes into the unit? Is that correct? On later SAABs its just one whole replaceable unit so that's outside my wheelhouse.

That sounds like a great idea, so I watched a video on youtube so I understand how fuel injection works. Unfortunately there is not schrader valve to connect the fuel pressure gauge. Although I did find the FPR! So I need to find another method to test the fuel pressure :(

SCA, yeah you can rebuild the unit, and there are available guides. As a SAAB owner I would recommend buying the whole assembly because probability of getting the unit disassembled and reassembled without breaking anything is low.

Here is the quote from A mod of saabsecene:

"Are you sure your immobiliser is disarmed. Even if you haven't set it the system activates the engine immobiliser after a few minutes ( but not the alarm ). This allows the car to start then dies after a couple of seconds because it inhibits the petrol pump. This will run as long as the starter motor is engaged.

I don't think the American SAABs have engine immobilizers

The alternative is that you have a problem with your petrol pump or its relay. It runs when you switch on the ignition ( enough to pressurise the system ) then doesn't come on again when the pressure drops. It is possible to by-pass the ecu and relay for the pump for a check by running a temporary supply direct from the battery to the connection on the top of the tank. Lift the rear seat and lift the flap in the carpet. There are connections for the fuel gauge and the pump. Identify the correct one and connect the temp supply. Best connect that end first then connect the other end to the battery. You don't want sparks in the vicinity of the tank.

Don't leave connected for long since the pump will run continuously. Half a minute should be OK and it will prove that your pump is running correctly."

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 7, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seems like it would be a lot easier to just jump the relay and check that way

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

bikesonyx posted:

That sounds like a great idea, so I watched a video on youtube so I understand how fuel injection works. Unfortunately there is not schrader valve to connect the fuel pressure gauge. Although I did find the FPR! So I need to find another method to test the fuel pressure :(

SCA, yeah you can rebuild the unit, and there are available guides. As a SAAB owner I would recommend buying the whole assembly because probability of getting the unit disassembled and reassembled without breaking anything is low.

Here is the quote from A mod of saabsecene:

"Are you sure your immobiliser is disarmed. Even if you haven't set it the system activates the engine immobiliser after a few minutes ( but not the alarm ). This allows the car to start then dies after a couple of seconds because it inhibits the petrol pump. This will run as long as the starter motor is engaged.

I don't think the American SAABs have engine immobilizers

The alternative is that you have a problem with your petrol pump or its relay. It runs when you switch on the ignition ( enough to pressurise the system ) then doesn't come on again when the pressure drops. It is possible to by-pass the ecu and relay for the pump for a check by running a temporary supply direct from the battery to the connection on the top of the tank. Lift the rear seat and lift the flap in the carpet. There are connections for the fuel gauge and the pump. Identify the correct one and connect the temp supply. Best connect that end first then connect the other end to the battery. You don't want sparks in the vicinity of the tank.

Don't leave connected for long since the pump will run continuously. Half a minute should be OK and it will prove that your pump is running correctly."

I'm surprised the 9000s don't have a schrader valve, but you can tap into the fuel lines but that is kind of scary for someone who's never done it before (like me). Sounds like the saabscene people have good ideas, and you'll be able to get better info from them. I'm kind of just spitballing based on my knowledge of a similar, but 8 years younger car.

Whichever methods you use, the important thing is to isolate the correct problem, first by making sure whether or not the fuel pump is actually working, and as mentioned by Enourmo it could be as simple as the relay. Occam's razor applies to cars; break down your problem into simple, diagnosable pieces.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've had very good luck with Falkens of all tread patterns, so I'm inclined to go with those. The Potenzas are fantastic tires as well, but usually command a premium. The Yokohama will have the longest treadlife of all the tires on your list while still giving good grip.

For the money though I'd probably go with the Falkens.
Thanks! I don't know if you saw my second post, but the Toyo Proxes CF2 also seems to be well recommended.

To be honest, there really isn't a huge amount in it between the Toyos and the Bridgestones, and both would cost me less overall than the Falkens. However, it looks like the Toyos may have better wet grip, which is likely going to tip it for me.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Proxes is not a bad tire at all. If that's where your heart leads you, go for it!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm also coming from a hard, cracked, decade-old mismatched set of the finest Cheng Shin Hedgemaster Ditchfinders, so it's perhaps a bit of a moot point as to which is marginally better.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Tire Talk? Tire Talk!

I've got an 00 4Runner 2wd with 175k mi on it--bought it with some old Michelin Latitude Tours that are cracked and old.

I drive 80% highway miles, 15% city, 5% tame backroads/logging roads (no real offroading or mud, really, just access for fishing or hiking). I put 18-20k on my car per year.

I'm down to:
Michelin Defender LTX MS (70k) $186.50/per tire total
Bridgeston Dueler H/L Alenza+ (80k) $166.75/per
Firestone Destination LE2 (50k) $128.75/per

I have a lot of miles on this truck and plan to keep it as long as its going strong, but I'm conflicted with going with such high mileage tires. I know the Michelin is rated very highly, but the Destination LE2 is close and the Alenza+ is highly rated in another category.

Any advice or anecdotes you guys could share? I'm leaning toward the Michelins because I got such a good price on expensive tires, but part of me wants to be cheap with the Firestones.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What size do you need? That will affect what people recommend.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

InitialDave posted:

What size do you need? That will affect what people recommend.

Ah! Sorry. Stock size for me: 265/70/R16

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Hi guys, I know this is a dumb question in that I'm not really giving you guys much to work with but here goes.

Yesterday I rear ended someone on the highway. My car was white and his was black. After the collision it appeared as if no damage was done, IE no dents, no paint transfer to either car etc. I figured cool I'm super lucky.

Today I get a call from my insurance that the person filed a claim. I haven't been able to get in touch with my representative yet to find out what he's claiming. My question is, is it possible to do structural damage underneath a bumper without damaging the bumper at all or any of the exterior at all? We're talking a collision between a Honda Accord and a Nissan Sentra so two smaller sedans.

Thanks, and sorry if this is a dumb question.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yes. Often times there is an impact absorber made of styrofoam that can crack. Even if the plastic doesn't appear to be damaged, it often has small spiderweb cracks on it. If there is any textured plastic, it isn't repairable and has to be replaced to bring it back to pre loss condition.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LeeMajors posted:

Ah! Sorry. Stock size for me: 265/70/R16
Hmm. I had General Grabber UHPs on my Jeep because they were noticeably cheaper than other brands, and was very happy with them, but they're not available in your size.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Where can I find threaded plugs for the ports of a master cylinder? I can't find any leaks and the system has been pressure bled, but the brake pedal is still kinda spongy. The car is a 2001 Ford zx2.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Hmm. I had General Grabber UHPs on my Jeep because they were noticeably cheaper than other brands, and was very happy with them, but they're not available in your size.

Those grabbers are great tires. That's what I'd go with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Where can I find threaded plugs for the ports of a master cylinder? I can't find any leaks and the system has been pressure bled, but the brake pedal is still kinda spongy. The car is a 2001 Ford zx2.

What are you trying to do here? Actually plug up the ports so you can.......see if the brake pedal falls when you jam on it?

Chances are high if you've had what you say you've had done the 15 year old brake hoses on your car are shot.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Motronic posted:

What are you trying to do here? Actually plug up the ports so you can.......see if the brake pedal falls when you jam on it?

Chances are high if you've had what you say you've had done the 15 year old brake hoses on your car are shot.

Yeah I was going to jam on the pedal with it plugged up to see if it's a problem with the master cylinder. By brake hoses do you mean all the lines or just the flexible bits? I replaced the flexible sections with new stuff months ago because the old stuff was tearing at the outermost layer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Yeah I was going to jam on the pedal with it plugged up to see if it's a problem with the master cylinder. By brake hoses do you mean all the lines or just the flexible bits? I replaced the flexible sections with new stuff months ago because the old stuff was tearing at the outermost layer.

The flexible brake hoses are what wears out, they get soft and expand under pressure, making the brakes spongy. The solid lines are either fine, or leak, so if you're not noticing a leak then don't worry about them.

Brake fluid should be flushed every 2 years or like 25k miles for Fords from that era. If this is the first time it's been done, it's possible that being a 15 year old car, crud that has built up in the master cylinder has scored the bore during flushing. The remedy for that is a new master cylinder, or a remanufactured one from a reputable company. I'm not American so I can't advise on that.

Another thing to check is that there isn't a tiny leak past any of the caliper or drum piston seals. Peel back the dust boots and see if they're leaking in there, as it isn't always evident on the outside.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Memento posted:

The flexible brake hoses are what wears out, they get soft and expand under pressure, making the brakes spongy. The solid lines are either fine, or leak, so if you're not noticing a leak then don't worry about them.

Brake fluid should be flushed every 2 years or like 25k miles for Fords from that era. If this is the first time it's been done, it's possible that being a 15 year old car, crud that has built up in the master cylinder has scored the bore during flushing. The remedy for that is a new master cylinder, or a remanufactured one from a reputable company. I'm not American so I can't advise on that.

Another thing to check is that there isn't a tiny leak past any of the caliper or drum piston seals. Peel back the dust boots and see if they're leaking in there, as it isn't always evident on the outside.

It's not the first time it's been flushed since I bought it, but the fluid in the reservoir was kind of dark and cloudy looking. The last flush was in January 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT
I got a broke hose on a 93 volvo 850. It's this thing coming off the air filter.

What is this called and could it be the reason my engine will turn over but not fire? Waiting 90 minutes for a tow truck rules.