Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This was my best run yet. I've only played as the Pilot so far. I liked him the best and haven't seen a reason to change. Getting the speed upgrades, imo, make a huge difference in boss fights. I just walked in circles around the Beholster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Maybe I'm nuts but I absolutely hate the Pilot and really like the Convict. The Pilot's sidearm is horribly inaccurate and it's the only offense he has at the start; he's really reliant on finding good stuff in chests or getting something good in the shop if you don't want to clumsily pew pew everything to death with his crappy phaser for two floors.

The Convict encourages a kind of berserker hit-and-run playstyle but it works really well for her. Molotovs are quite handy until you score a better usable item, her sidearm is perfectly fine for the first couple of floors, and the sawed-off ruins early enemies up close. Her main disadvantage is that her starting weapon loadout has a lot of trouble against bosses, but if she finds a halfway decent gun in the Gungeon, her enraging photo really comes into its own in hard boss fights (the Stinger, or a similarly hard-hitting Bossfight Gun, will absolutely pulverize basically anything while she's enraged).

e: Marine and Hunter are definitely the best all-around, general-purpose Gungeoneers though. The Marine is the ultimate offensive generalist with his excellent sidearm, free armour point, free reload, and improved accuracy and reloads, while the Hunter's crossbow is very reliable and her chance to find extra stuff never stops being useful at any point (and her sidearm is actually pretty drat solid).

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 6, 2016

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yeah, don't underestimate the Convict. Her starter pistol is probably second best (after the Marine), and being able to hit and knockback multiple enemies with a shottie is nice too. As mentioned above, her main issue is bosses since she likes to be up close and personal.

I think all the starting charactors are well-balanced. They've definitely got different playstyles, and the Marine is probably the most noob-friendly, but they're all good.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Manny says "Hi" :clint:

The beholster pistol really made that fight trivial.

ZZKoverts
Sep 12, 2011
I like the convict! One thing I've noticed with her is that you can fire her starting pistol slightly faster by tapping the fire button instead of holding it. This naturally triggers the reload quickly when you're out of ammo too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ZZKoverts posted:

This naturally triggers the reload quickly when you're out of ammo too.

This is a good strategy for the Hunter crossbow, too. Double-tap to fire and you'll immediately begin reloading.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

RyokoTK posted:

This is a good strategy for the Hunter crossbow, too. Double-tap to fire and you'll immediately begin reloading.

Doesn't it auto-reload?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't think so.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So are there unlockable characters in this game?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Nihilarian posted:

So are there unlockable characters in this game?

There's two listed in the wiki. Might be more that people haven't found yet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RyokoTK posted:

I don't think so.

I think all weapons with a magazine capacity of 1 reloads automatically.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Jetamo posted:

Lift Things:

No idea what triggers further progression here, as the third floor is continuing to wreck me everytime.

They need to have him explain where he is a bit more. I could have sword he just says "I'll wait for you by the second floor elevator" once but then never again. I thought it was glitched!

e: gently caress the tank boss on the third floor :saddowns:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

That 3rd floor boss was a pushover, but that might be because I got the item which slows enemy bullets.

The 4th floor boss though, jfc.

e: aha, you can give items to the lift repair guy out of order. Just beat Gorgun without getting hit and he asked for the trophy before I had the first items he requests.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 6, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Broken Cog posted:

I think all weapons with a magazine capacity of 1 reloads automatically.

I just tested it. Yes, the crossbow automatically reloads after firing. However, if you click after shooting, it will begin reloading sooner (seems to be maybe a half-second difference).

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I found 3 of the 4 pieces to give to the woman in the forge but I can't put my finger on the last one. Is it something to do with the knight shrine that says something about laying down your arms?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

I found 3 of the 4 pieces to give to the woman in the forge but I can't put my finger on the last one. Is it something to do with the knight shrine that says something about laying down your arms?

Which piece are you missing?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Wonder if this is the same always.

First run I was really happy with my weapons and damage then I flawless tank and it gives me quantity over quality item which makes me shoot 3x as many bullets but do less damage. That increased spread made the rest too hard :(

Bee hive with fire bullets is op at least

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I noticed after 6 hours of play on PS4, the game got slower and slower to load levels. It even lagged a bit before walking into rooms. The game eventually crashed on 5th level loading which sucked because I had an amazing run going and was looking to finally kill the last boss for the first time. Anyone on PS4, make sure you restart the game every few hours. I assume they have some sort of memory allocation problem or something.

Prime Primer: purchased in shop in early area
Arcane Gunpowder: dodge roll from mine cart to mine cart in big room in mines
Obsidian Shell Casing: kill the dragun and destroy the bones after death
Planar Lead: fly, hookshot, or use water gun to show path to get across big gap in caves

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 6, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Word of warning: Ring of Mimic Friendship does not actually seem to work. I decided to test it out by opening a chest (that I knew was a mimic) with the ring, and it still pounced me.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think I'm getting slightly better. I made it to the 4th floor boss for the first time and almost killed it with the com4ndo but got hit by a stray bullet that came from behind.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

That's how you get the shell casing? I never would have honestly tried that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So on my first run I perfected Gattling Gull and got the master round thing

I proceeded to get dominated by the stupidest poo poo in the world but I capped it all off by having a half a heart left. A room to my left just had a free blank and a full heart and above me was a shopkeeper. "Sweet a free heart"

I ran in, fell in a hole and died because my screens brightness was so low I couldn't tell there was a pit. I'm so upset with myself.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
FFS, why can't the elevator guy just say everything he needs up front, so I don't go on to spend bullets that he apparently requires. I hate that I have to rely on wikis and tutorials for this game sometimes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So on my first run I perfected Gattling Gull and got the master round thing

I proceeded to get dominated by the stupidest poo poo in the world but I capped it all off by having a half a heart left. A room to my left just had a free blank and a full heart and above me was a shopkeeper. "Sweet a free heart"

I ran in, fell in a hole and died because my screens brightness was so low I couldn't tell there was a pit. I'm so upset with myself.

It's fine. The first time I got to floor 3 I had half a heart, perfected like 4 tough rooms in a row, and then promptly walked straight into a sawblade.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

poemdexter posted:

Planar Lead: fly, hookshot, or use water gun to show path to get across big gap in caves

This was the one I was missing. Only seen the water pistol once and none of the others so I guess just keep playing.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jetamo posted:

Lift Things:

My personal advice for the casings/keys is do a run specifically for those, and take the Pilot. Just don't use keys, use your lockpick instead, and just hope you get enough after fighting the second floor's boss.

You could also try the Hunter, which I had better luck with. The dog can dig up keys and you don't need the lockpick's small chance to open chests since you're only doing the first 2 floors where the crossbow is insanely good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

This was the one I was missing. Only seen the water pistol once and none of the others so I guess just keep playing.

You can use any weapon that leaves some sort of liquid on the floor. I used the Glacier gun that shoots ice cubes.

Edit: Also, a PSA: Turning enemies into chickens with the various hexing guns seem to prevent them from dropping currency.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The lockpick has worked for me as the Pilot probably 80% of the time. Is it suppose to be worse? I must be getting lucky.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Harlock posted:

The lockpick has worked for me as the Pilot probably 80% of the time. Is it suppose to be worse? I must be getting lucky.

You`ve run a lucky streak. I would put it at around 30% and still consider it worthwhile.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I wish items were better in this game. Pretty much any chest that isn't a gun or a maximum health item might as well be a big "gently caress you."

Had like eight runs in a row as a Marine where the first chest was either an active item that's not as good as the supply drop, or a really bad gun (lowercase r, unfinished gun).

An item like the C4 that you can use once every two rooms would be good in Isaac, but that's mostly because attacking in Isaac is really bad. In this game your weapons are actually useful so an item you can only occasionally use had better be extremely useful.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RyokoTK posted:

I wish items were better in this game. Pretty much any chest that isn't a gun or a maximum health item might as well be a big "gently caress you."

Had like eight runs in a row as a Marine where the first chest was either an active item that's not as good as the supply drop, or a really bad gun (lowercase r, unfinished gun).

An item like the C4 that you can use once every two rooms would be good in Isaac, but that's mostly because attacking in Isaac is really bad. In this game your weapons are actually useful so an item you can only occasionally use had better be extremely useful.

Getting a few bullet upgrades are night and day, and a lot of the active items you can find are lifesavers, so I disagree completely with your first statement.

For example: Decoy, Potion of Gun Friendship, Bullet Time, Elder Blank, Molotov... are all useful active items I can think of at the top of my head.
Edit: Forgot Double Vision, the best item.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ive had a situation just now where no ammo crates dropped for 3 floors no matter if it was in rooms, chests or in shops/bosses. Running around with 4 empty weapons at the end, pretty fun (not). Died on the boss.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Yeah they should really add a couple of bullets here and there in breakables. Relying on the full reloads is just too hit or miss.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I have not found a single usable item other than Double Vision that's been an actual significant gain. But usually I play as the Marine, so if I find an item in the first two floors then I usually have to burn the supply drop to take it, which is almost never worthwhile because of how random the ammo drops are. Some of the passives are okay but the one I get the most is the Table Flip Multiplier which is super situational and the buff lasts like three seconds.

Most items I seem to find I just wish I had found a gun instead. Even a mediocre drop like Regular Shotgun or Flame Hand can at least get a run off the ground. Maybe I'm just getting really bad luck with drops.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ive found some weird doll that gave me complete invincibility for like 5 or 6 seconds while I could still shoot? It was awesome, but that also was the no ammo run so I died anyways.

Grappling hook is also a great active item.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Lead skin or whatever is pretty great active item since it allows you to hurt bosses a lot more. Just stand there and let their own bullets hurt them back.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Has anyone been playing this local co-op and is it any good? I only want to get this to play couch co op pretty much on PS4

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

manyak posted:

Has anyone been playing this local co-op and is it any good? I only want to get this to play couch co op pretty much on PS4

I'm gonna have a friend over today to try it out. I'm on PC though so it's partially dependent on how well we can get my controller working.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Glacier Gun feels pretty nuts: Not only is it strong and bounces off walls but the small AOE it has on a hit destroys any bullets caught in it. It made the Beholster and Canonball-boss trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

I have not found a single usable item other than Double Vision that's been an actual significant gain. But usually I play as the Marine, so if I find an item in the first two floors then I usually have to burn the supply drop to take it, which is almost never worthwhile because of how random the ammo drops are. Some of the passives are okay but the one I get the most is the Table Flip Multiplier which is super situational and the buff lasts like three seconds.

Most items I seem to find I just wish I had found a gun instead. Even a mediocre drop like Regular Shotgun or Flame Hand can at least get a run off the ground. Maybe I'm just getting really bad luck with drops.

All the good items are hidden behind unlocks with the boss credits. You have to sink a dozen hours into the game before you start unlocking the really helpful stuff.