Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

Raluek posted:

I disagree with this statement. I think this happens because, on the whole, drivers are mostly sane. Sure, you see some rear end in a top hat or inattentive moron every time you go out, but that's compared to the hundreds who are mostly doing the right thing. I've been riding my bike to class recently, so I've been paying attention to other cyclists a lot. Out of all the cyclists I see, maybe once a month will I see someone else who is simultaneously:
  • Riding in the bike lane, going the correct direction
  • Wearing a helmet
  • Following traffic laws
The vast, vast, vast majority of cyclists are complete shitheads. Blasting around on the sidewalks, going the wrong way down a one-way street, wobble-ambling into (or just blasting through) an intersection in which they have no right of way, and squidding around with no helmet (usually while doing one of the above). It's terrible.

Can we not do the zipper merging debate again? This happens like every goddamn month :gonk:

In my experience college campus cyclists are the worst. They'll ride through foot traffic on the sidewalk when the adjacent street is empty, ride the wrong way down one-way and two-way streets. Approaching a stop sign, they suddenly decide they want to be pedestrians and jump into crosswalks. Away from the streets they don't hesitate to blow through groups of people at top speed while generally having the awareness of a five year old. I almost clotheslined someone while flagging down a bus because he decided the foot and a half between me and the curb was a better way around than the twelve feet behind me.

It amazes me that more people aren't getting hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I've never seen such an amazing thing as when i saw a student ride his bike with his face in his phone, those huge type of headphones, no hands on the handlebars, no helmet (duh) blindly veering into traffic across 2 lane roads on campus without even looking once, let alone twice. This was in January in Sweden when there's ice everywhere and he was riding a bike he probably found in the forest somewhere, definitively no winter rubber. No problem, nothing happened to him. He'll be ruler of the world one day.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I love bicycling in Portland. I lived on the west side so it was all downhill to wherever I wanted to go and then a bus ride back up Barbur. My favorite interaction with another bicyclist was when riding down Barbur towards downtown. I was in front and the light turned red, so I stopped, like you don't. Dude behind me just flies past so I yelled "red lights mean stop, jackass!" Dude turns back and flips off the car that is now next to him. I was secretly hoping he would try to kick off the mirror or something and fall.

At least that is how I remember it. Was 5 or so years ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Portland does have some sweet hills. Whenever I was headed downtown I'd put the car in neutral and bomb down one of the streets. Burnside I think? It's been a long time. Steep enough to coast the whole way but not San Francisco steep where you gotta tap the brakes constantly.

There are some gloriously twisty roads east of Gresham too.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PenisMonkey posted:

I ride my bicycle with my dog in my lap :colbert:

No need, friend!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ygolonac posted:

Didn't see this since the latest start of Wheels vs. Walkers Bikes vs. Everyone, so enjoy.

I bet those cops are laughing their asses off. The central line denotes you mustn't cross to the oncoming lane, yeah?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

I bet those cops are laughing their asses off. The central line denotes you mustn't cross to the oncoming lane, yeah?

Double yellow in the US is 'do not pass', so yea, it's illegal to go into the oncoming lanes there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Locator posted:

Double yellow in the US is 'do not pass', so yea, it's illegal to go into the oncoming lanes there.

There are usually exceptions when encountering cyclists or vehicles with the slow moving vehicle sign.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

There are usually exceptions when encountering cyclists or vehicles with the slow moving vehicle sign.
Not in California, where this takes place and which came up the first time this video got posted.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Krakkles posted:

Not in California, where this takes place and which came up the first time this video got posted.

Even if it wasn't California, I'm not going to be the guy testing an 'exception' right in front of a police officer who may or may not know the proper application of that exception.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I said "usually."

I'm sorry I did not list the regulations for every state in the union.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
They don't seem to be in any hurry to enforce the "5 or more cars" obstruction laws, either.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

I said "usually."

I'm sorry I did not list the regulations for every state in the union.
Yes, because me bringing up the regulation where this took place was totally unreasonable. :rolleyes:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Krakkles posted:

The orginal 3 foot law had such an exception and jerry brown vetoed it for it.
CHP is on record saying they won't enforce crossing the double yellow unless the pass is dangerious however. Though on the snake, you'd probably get a ticket anyhow.

In that case, no matter where the bike was there was no way to make a safe and legal pass without crossing the double yellow as those lanes are too narrow to share. For the record, cycling advocacy organizations wanted the double yellow exception for exactly this reason as it puts motorists in a problematic situation as they either have to pass too close or cross the lane line.

I like Jerry Brown, but he made a mistake here.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

InitialDave posted:

The Locator posted:

Not to be pedantic, but it's illegal to cross a solid yellow line. Double yellow means traffic in either direction cannot pass. Sometimes you come across a solid yellow line next to a dashed line. Traffic on the side of the solid yellow cannot pass while traffic on the side of the dashed line can. You see this on hills where traffic traveling up hill cannot see past the crest of the hill and cannot pass safely, but traffic traveling down hill has a much better view and can pass.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Uthor posted:

Not to be pedantic, but it's illegal to cross a solid yellow line. Double yellow means traffic in either direction cannot pass. Sometimes you come across a solid yellow line next to a dashed line. Traffic on the side of the solid yellow cannot pass while traffic on the side of the dashed line can. You see this on hills where traffic traveling up hill cannot see past the crest of the hill and cannot pass safely, but traffic traveling down hill has a much better view and can pass.

Some states have explict exceptions for passing slow vehicles over a double yellow when safe. One state (montana?) Had/has a law that basically made all double yellows advisory, so you could pass over any double yellow if safe.

The best part about traffic law in the US, is that for every question there's roughly 53 answers. Maybe more if local laws come in play.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 6, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

nm posted:

The best part about traffic law in the US, is that for every question there's roughly 53 answers. Maybe more if local laws come in play.

I love that there are situations where your legal vehicle can be impounded if it's driven into another state. For a while (still?), FL had a law mandating the motorcycle license plates had to be horizontal to the ground and bikes ridden in from other states that allow for vertical orientation were subjected to fines and impounding. This was done specifically to crack down on Bike Week and similar gatherings.

It's like if you drove a car from a state that didn't require front plates into IL and then got into big trouble for it.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Wouldn't a good lawyer be able to invalidate anything that became of that for a violation of the full faith and credit clause?

A valid registration/plate/license in one state is good in another so long as it's following the laws of the originating state.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

nm posted:

Some states have explict exceptions for passing slow vehicles over a double yellow when safe. One state (montana?) Had/has a law that basically made all double yellows advisory, so you could pass over any double yellow if safe.

Yea, I don't remember the state, but it came out in that news item about that old SOB who swerved to purposely hit a passing motorcycle that you can (in that state) legally pass on a double line if the vehicle you're passing is going 25 or more under the posted speed limit and it's not a dangerous pass (blind curve, etc.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nm posted:

Just to be clear, Montana is the most backwards state in the union when it comes to traffic safety.

They didn't regulate drunk driving until the us government threatened to stop giving them money to maintain interstates. This happened in 2005.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xergm posted:

Wouldn't a good lawyer be able to invalidate anything that became of that for a violation of the full faith and credit clause?

A valid registration/plate/license in one state is good in another so long as it's following the laws of the originating state.
Probably, but that doesn't change the fact it's 3am on a Saturday and your bike's in the impound.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

xergm posted:

For the front plate thing, yes. The mounting would require some research.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xzzy posted:

They didn't regulate drunk driving until the us government threatened to stop giving them money to maintain interstates. This happened in 2005.

It was legal to have an open container while driving, that's not the same thing as "drunk driving." They still had a BAL limit of .08. It's still legal to drive while drinking in Mississippi, and there are a half-dozen other states that allow open containers in cars.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Uthor posted:

Too pedantic. Like nm said, there are exceptions. In Colorado it's fully legal to cross the double yellow to pass a bicycle. There was a case a couple years ago where an rear end in a top hat sat behind two bicyclists refusing to pass them, instead laying on his horn for several miles, while other cars passed him and the bikes. He got ticketed. You can see clearly in the video that it was 100% safe to pass at any time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFM5QiAd3QA

Karma Monkey posted:

Yea, I don't remember the state, but it came out in that news item about that old SOB who swerved to purposely hit a passing motorcycle that you can (in that state) legally pass on a double line if the vehicle you're passing is going 25 or more under the posted speed limit and it's not a dangerous pass (blind curve, etc.)

It was Texas.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Too pedantic. Like nm said, there are exceptions.

I didn't mean to imply that there are no exceptions, just that it's not specifically the double yellow that signifies no passing, but that each single yellow signifies no passing in each direction of travel.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Uthor posted:

I didn't mean to imply that there are no exceptions, just that it's not specifically the double yellow that signifies no passing, but that each single yellow signifies no passing in each direction of travel.

LOL Not pedantic at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Phanatic posted:

It was legal to have an open container while driving, that's not the same thing as "drunk driving." They still had a BAL limit of .08. It's still legal to drive while drinking in Mississippi, and there are a half-dozen other states that allow open containers in cars.

It's stupid that you can't transport an open container, or, given current DUI limits, to even drink while driving. It makes 0 difference whether you're at 0.04 because you're having a beer as you drive, or because you had one right before driving. Either you're too drunk to drive, or you aren't, and it has nothing to do with where an open container is located.

Edit: I don't drive during or after drinking, but I would like the ability to bring, for example, a half-finished bottle of liquor in the car with me, so I don't have to drink the entirety of a bottle in one single location. We're only allowed to do it with restaurant provided recorked wine here, which notably rules out all sparkling wine since it can only be stoppered, not recorked.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 7, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

It's stupid that you can't transport an open container, or, given current DUI limits, to even drink while driving. It makes 0 difference whether you're at 0.04 because you're having a beer as you drive, or because you had one right before driving. Either you're too drunk to drive, or you aren't, and it has nothing to do with where an open container is located.

Edit: I don't drive during or after drinking, but I would like the ability to bring, for example, a half-finished bottle of liquor in the car with me, so I don't have to drink the entirety of a bottle in one single location. We're only allowed to do it with restaurant provided recorked wine here, which notably rules out all sparkling wine since it can only be stoppered, not recorked.

The alberta law treats open bottles the same as sealed, and says "capped, corked or otherwise closed, whether or not the container has been previously opened"

so put a stopper, secure it in the trunk somewhere, good to go. Plugged with your finger in the front cupholder is risky.

It's technically illegal to walk to your car with it though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it appears that cyclist is climbing the snake on mulholland drive, which is where every sportbike and sports car goes on sunny sundays. He knows exactly what he's doing and is being a dogfucking enormous douche on purpose

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

You heard it here first folks, the space between the two yellow lines is a lane.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

it appears that cyclist is climbing the snake on mulholland drive, which is where every sportbike and sports car goes on sunny sundays. He knows exactly what he's doing and is being a dogfucking enormous douche on purpose

The malibu hills are full of bikes and cars at the same time. Never really a huge issue except the cop is making people scared to pass.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny 290 posted:

Every Cyclist Ever

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nm posted:

The malibu hills are full of bikes and cars at the same time. Never really a huge issue except the cop is making people scared to pass.
So cops are the problem, not bikes.

"Breaking the law isn't really a huge issue as long as cops don't see you."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Krakkles posted:

So cops are the problem, not bikes.

"Breaking the law isn't really a huge issue as long as cops don't see you."

In this case the law is the problem.

And yes, some laws were made to be broken. CHP has essentially said that they won't enforce the law in those cases if done in a safe manner. Do I want to test it? Probably not. But yes, no one cares if you break this law in a safe manner just like they don't care if you're going 60 in a 55.

SB910 had an explict carve out to allow passing bikes over the double yellow and it was killed by AAA lobbying and Jerry Brown vetoed that due to the passing issue.
Given that a motoring organization's lobbying killed this bill which would fix this problem which proposed by cyclists, I don't think your fight is with them.

And for the record I don't think those cyclists are doing anythong wrong. That is a 35 (IIRC) road that is basically a perpetual traffic jam on any weekend. No one is an hurry to get anywhere. No one except squids and morons drive fast there, you get to the look out to see morons crash and hope Jay Leno brings a cool car. I wouldn't bike there, but that's only so I don't get hit by a squid.
Those guys are on the far edge of the road and practically begging to be passed.

There's a reason the rock store guy's videos are all of cars and motorcycles doing stupid poo poo, not cyclists.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 7, 2016

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nm posted:

In this case the law is the problem.

And yes, some laws were made to be broken. CHP has essentially said that they won't enforce the law in those cases if done in a safe manner. Do I want to test it? Probably not. But yes, no one cares if you break this law in a safe manner just like they don't care if you're going 60 in a 55.

SB910 had an explict carve out to allow passing bikes over the double yellow and it was killed by AAA lobbying and Jerry Brown vetoed that due to the passing issue.
Given that a motoring organization's lobbying killed this bill which would fix this problem which proposed by cyclists, I don't think your fight is with them.

And for the record I don't think those cyclists are doing anythong wrong. That is a 35 (IIRC) road that is basically a perpetual traffic jam on any weekend. No one is an hurry to get anywhere. No one except squids and morons drive fast there, you get to the look out to see morons crash and hope Jay Leno brings a cool car. I wouldn't bike there, but that's only so I don't get hit by a squid.
Those guys are on the far edge of the road and practically begging to be passed.

There's a reason the rock store guy's videos are all of cars and motorcycles doing stupid poo poo, not cyclists.
Oh, the law is the problem. Ok, well you cyclists keep doing what you do (not being the problem, that's for sure!) and I'll just break a law that YOU say they won't enforce (but they DO enforce, specifically, especially on that stretch of road) because I wouldn't want to inconvenience some bike rider.

It's 45mph, and there's a difference between "(not being in a) hurry" and "let's all stop to watch this guy slowly climb up a hill because he can't think of any better use of his time, and ours obviously doesn't matter".

The guy's videos aren't of cyclists because he's not interested in them, just like a whole lot of other people.

That guy is being a dogfucking enormous douche and purposefully acting to annoy other people, and you're defending it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

The alberta law treats open bottles the same as sealed, and says "capped, corked or otherwise closed, whether or not the container has been previously opened"

so put a stopper, secure it in the trunk somewhere, good to go. Plugged with your finger in the front cupholder is risky.

It's technically illegal to walk to your car with it though.

Hmm, apparently the drunken retard I listened to the first time on this subject was mistaken. Good to know.

To be fair though, I was mainly concerned about transporting it in the passenger compartment because the idea of open bottles under pressure rolling around in my trunk makes me sad and worried.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

So your argument is that cyclists should stay off the road so cars can continue to use it as their own personal race track?
Why do you think there are two cops there? It isn't because those mean ol cyclists are hogging the road.

Your arguement relies on the premise that bikes should stay off that road for your hobby's pleasure. I'm sure they cyclists would find it way better if that road was free of cars.

Also, what was that guy doing that was to piss off the cars? Riding on the right on the road? Yes, he's a bit further out, but the outside radius of that turn is frequently gravel central due to the number of offs. He was riding up a hill that has an effective turn out if not full of cars just feet ahead.
Second, you can't even tell how long the cars have been there because packs like that form on the snake all the time. They run into a slow car or a bike and well, we all slow down. It is amazing that you've determined his entire mentality from a 10 second gif.

And yes what that gif shows is that the law is the problem. The law is often the problem. It should be fixed, but you're too busy hating bikes to accept that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You're obviously too busy creating strawman arguments and being overly defensive about bikes. You don't seem to actually read anything you respond to, so I'm done with you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Krakkles posted:

You're obviously too busy creating strawman arguments and being overly defensive about bikes. You don't seem to actually read anything you respond to, so I'm done with you.

Your argument seems to be that bicyclist should get off the road any time a car gets behind them, so yeah, this isn't productive.
Also, if you think I'm strawmanning you should read what you're posting. Your ideas do sound pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nm posted:

Your argument seems to be that bicyclist should get off the road any time a car gets behind them, so yeah, this isn't productive.
Also, if you think I'm strawmanning you should read what you're posting. Your ideas do sound pretty bad.

Pro AI posting tip: that's his gimmick.