Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ola posted:

Nobody obviously. But I meant household objects in general, not phones specifically. I had a Kenwood kitchen machine which poo poo the bed after only two years, it's just pot metal and plastic. I bet the first generations of Kenwood machines lasted decades.

Quality household appliances can still be had. We have a Kitchenaid stand mixer that's been beaten on for 10 years and never missed a beat. Problem is, entry level for that kind of appliance is $350, and it runs very quickly up around $900 so it isn't competitive.

Edit: the other problem is brands are dead. It used to be if you saw Craftsman on a tool it would be a pretty good tool. Now all the consumer brands are owned by the same group.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't forget to account for the cost in real terms of that old kit back in the day. It wouldn't suprise me if it was equivalent to $350+ territory.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Hopefully the whole durability mentality will become a thing again when people realize that buying lovely plastic stuff / cheap clothes that last way too short of a time sucks for the wallet and the environment. A perfect example is shaving, I don't know how much I've saved by buying a 1960's Gillette Safety Razor and stocking up on feather razors, while also getting a much better shave, compared to buying cheap and/or expensive lovely razors in combination with shaving cream in cans. Imagine how much plastic wouldn't be wasted if people went back to using safety razors, while also getting better shaves. Win win.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It is actually pretty amazing when you realize manufacturing processes were complete poo poo back then so they just overbuilt everything to compensate. Which is why you get stuff from that era lasts forever.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

KozmoNaut posted:

Back then, phones were expected to last decades, so they were built with that goal in mind. But with the speed of new technology adoption, who wants to use a 20 year old phone now?

My landline has a 20+ year old phone on it. Its not like I need internet or anything on it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The gently caress is a landline?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I think they're those things on a map that demarcate one territory from another.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

Hopefully the whole durability mentality will become a thing again when people realize that buying lovely plastic stuff / cheap clothes that last way too short of a time sucks for the wallet and the environment. A perfect example is shaving, I don't know how much I've saved by buying a 1960's Gillette Safety Razor and stocking up on feather razors, while also getting a much better shave, compared to buying cheap and/or expensive lovely razors in combination with shaving cream in cans. Imagine how much plastic wouldn't be wasted if people went back to using safety razors, while also getting better shaves. Win win.

The cost analysis to a typical shopper doesn't really help in that regard unfortunately. For those who can't afford more expensive, more durable products, they're forced to go with the cheaper ones even though it's more expensive in the long term. Additionally, while others might be able to afford it, price point tends to supersede durability for consumers as the long term savings are very apparent, and there's no guarantee on the durability of a particular product, especially if it might exceed the lifespan of the consumer's foreseen use of the product (likely no more than a year for any consumer goods). Finally, the producers don't really see that much of a point in increasing durability if the return on investment isn't worth it. In general, it costs more to increase the durability of a product than to reduce it and if there's fewer being bought, then it compounds the losses made. The only foreseeable exception to that is if sales on peripherals can compensate for the losses (ex: video games, cellular phones, computers)

Cars make a point of advertising durability since their effective use lifespan for the buyer is much greater when compared to something like a razor or a blender.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Xelkelvos posted:

For those who can't afford more expensive, more durable products, they're forced to go with the cheaper ones even though it's more expensive in the long term.

Terry Pratchett posted:

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Engineering in industry, I've found that we know a lot more these days about solid mechanics and fatigue. We can design things much closer to the edge of reliability and often do to compete with other products on factors like weight, or price or anything else. We have old gearboxes that will last a lot longer than our newer ones, but they weigh 30% more and are 50% louder. Not a whole lot of people are willing to get something like that compared to the light quiet competition.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The old gearboxes that are still around are also the ones that didn't break. There is a lot of old stuff that didn't make it.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Has anyone yet noticed that the cast of the new top gear is exactly the kind of thing we'd expect from a "BBC Diversity meeting" sketch on "New old Top Gear".

edit:

How are we doing the naming convention of top gear generations?

• Old top gear
  • New Old top gear
  • New top gear?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

fyodor posted:

The gently caress is a landline?

That thing I use to call my cell phone when I have misplaced it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Has anyone yet noticed that the cast of the new top gear is exactly the kind of thing we'd expect from a "BBC Diversity meeting" sketch on "New old Top Gear".

edit:

• Old top gear
  • New Old top gear
  • New top gear?

Fuzzy Jeremy TG
Knob Jeremy TG
Post Jeremy TG

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MattD1zzl3 posted:

edit:

• Old top gear
  • New Old top gear
  • New top gear?

The woman is a top test driver and the ethnic fella has bazillions of youtube views. Both are very charismatic on camera. Seems like diversity was just a bonus.

edit: OOOH... the nobody guy who is also black. Yea, that seems like a committee.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 6, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They've got two foreigners.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
You don't get Bingo! unless there is someone of nontraditional sexuality there

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Evans is a ging and that's pretty traditionally nonsexual

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

They've got two foreigners.

How would Brexit affect Top Gear? Would those two have to be deported?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ether Frenzy posted:

Evans is a ging and that's pretty traditionally nonsexual

One the one hand hacky red hair joke on the other :thurman:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrOnBicycle posted:

I just don't shave. SAVE THE PLANET!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

88h88 posted:

:smug:-club

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

Shave the planet!

Since I am mostly bald anyway, I decided to start shaving my head a while back. I usually do the edges of my beard at the same time, since most of the prep work is done already.

Safety razor supremacy is real, screw paying for cartridges when I can get a whole box of high-quality DE blades for like $10. And old-school shaving soap is so much better than the standard goop from a can, it's ridiculous.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Yeah, that was peak James May.

Seriously those Reassemblers were great. Good play by play too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Chris Knight posted:

Seriously those Reassemblers were great. Good play by play too.

Any chance we'll get some more?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mister Kingdom posted:

Any chance we'll get some more?

I don't think it's up to him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm surprised they all aired in consecutive days. James May usually makes 3 episodes of a show he wants to make, it gets aired over three weeks and then he fucks off for a year or so or forever.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

They were also only half hour long. I suppose this was well in the very experimental, "who knows, maybe it'll catch on" type of category for the BBC managers. But for AI, this was what all TV fundamentally should be like.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
next series needs to be JM reassembling an entire motorcycle, or at least assembling a kit car. The telephone and guitar, while calming, weren't quite as enthralling as watching him put a motor together.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I recall reading somewhere that the show was inspired by the Norwegian "slow TV" thing. If they do another one I'd like to see them adopt the concept more fully and show the process uncut in real time, using however many episodes they need for it. A kit car or motorcycle would be great for that sort of thing, it'd easily make an entire series/season (hell, by BBC standards it could make many).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

wolrah posted:

I recall reading somewhere that the show was inspired by the Norwegian "slow TV" thing. If they do another one I'd like to see them adopt the concept more fully and show the process uncut in real time, using however many episodes they need for it. A kit car or motorcycle would be great for that sort of thing, it'd easily make an entire series/season (hell, by BBC standards it could make many).

It's been done.

Evans had several series like this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ola posted:

They were also only half hour long. I suppose this was well in the very experimental, "who knows, maybe it'll catch on" type of category for the BBC managers. But for AI, this was what all TV fundamentally should be like.
Or someone said "drat a lot of people watched James cooking on YouTube. Let's just point a camera at him and fill 30 minutes of TV."

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's been done.

Evans had several series like this.

Welp, now I have like five series I need to find.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

wolrah posted:

Welp, now I have like five series I need to find.

I bought this box set (plus the MG and 4x4 series).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Or someone said "drat a lot of people watched James cooking on YouTube. Let's just point a camera at him and fill 30 minutes of TV."

Yes, that's the "it" in "maybe it'll catch on".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Mark Evans "Is Born" stuff is good, yes. The DVDs are actually slightly abridged from what was shown on TV, but it still includes a lot more detail (and not too much cringe) compared to most car/tech shows.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p-K34m6vuY&feature=youtu.be

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Currently Un-Named Tv Show.

(C)urrently (U)n-(N)amed (T)v (S)how

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

drunkill posted:

Currently Un-Named Tv Show.

(C)urrently (U)n-(N)amed (T)v (S)how
Naturally, this is the top-rated comment for the YouTube video. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
I want to buy the unedited episode of The Reassembler. I just want to watch May talk nonsense for 10 hours. Is that too much to ask for?