Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Crawling technically should allow you to cross portions of ice that would be dangerous standing but I can't recall if that's modeled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Some robbers attacked a village and were murdered by the villagers and I got all the loot!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I enclosed both my settlement and the nearest watering hole with trap-fences which has netted me a bunch of animals to bop over the head and butcher.

Also Njerpez have outfitted me with what's basically a full set of armor so now I'm engaging them without getting hurt really.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Went hunting yesterday with a bow, a spear and my dog. Saw an elk so I went to that tile and zoomed in. I took a step toward it trying to sneak when my dog barked in alarm and the elk started to run. I was pissed until I saw the bear coming in from the side. It got to the elk and killed it before I could, but then I sent the dog after the bear and when I caught up with them speared it to death. Was able to butcher and skin both and sell most of the meat to nearby towns for arrows, dried trout (don't have my cabin set up for smoking yet and the season is wrong for drying), and a couple other things. The elk fur was really beat up but makes good cord material.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

:rip: Rex

and don't mess with Fido, Bear Killer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just persistence hunted a glutton. To be fair it gave me a lot of chances to get a good first attack in because it had become absolutely obsessed with my settlement. After stealing my javelin by bodily taking it (!), he healed up overnight and came back to snoop. Managed to get a lucky arrow shot into its shoulder which was serious and managed to cripple it and let me keep up at a run. I had to stop running first but it only made it so much further before becoming rooted in place.

Got a fine skin too which just goes to show trapping is for chumps.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Lost my dog to wolves while trekking to Njerpez lands (which incidentally was way farther east than I thought), had to replace him with a group of 3 dogs.

Who proceeded to run down and kill a bear for the cost of one cut on the big one. :stare:

edit:

Just one of the cellars I've got going, got stashes in several locations so I don't have to run all the way back/barter for food.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 1, 2016

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Does armor quality affect protection at all or do I just need an all green armor screen?

Can njerpaz fall into/be lured into traps?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I scout out a Njerpez warrior, go back and gear up for a fight, come out and find him again, only to one shot him with an arrow to the neck. Lame.

Molybdenum posted:

Does armor quality affect protection at all or do I just need an all green armor screen?

Can njerpaz fall into/be lured into traps?
I think quality affects it by upping its base protection, which should be reflected on the armor screen. A little over protection isn't a bad thing because weathering hits causes armor to degrade, which in turn lowers the protection.

I think human's AI has been tweaked such that they will generally avoid traps unless its a heat of the moment thing. Used to be you built a trap fence to rob foreign traders cause it worked on them just as well as elk.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

My latest character had an early showdown with a bear, courtesy of the dead father scenario.

First thing the bear does is crush my calf making it bleed and dropping me to the ground with 29% injury penalty. Ok I think, I'm a goner, loving bear killed the whole family. Just for kicks I try and stab him with my spear, and what do you know, I gouge its eye out and it starts bleeding and flees.

So I patch my bleeding leg up while the bear runs around aimlessly, then it passes out from exhaustion, i crawl up to him and stab him in the other eye. Bye bye bear.

Now I'm crippled, can't even stand up due to apparently not having a calf anymore, lying by a rotting bear carcass without eyes. I can't even skin it, nor can I build a shelter because building requires you to be upright. I wandered around a bit and discovered I'm on a small island, too, so no getting away or foraging.

I basically can't do anything with my 29% penalty, I can't even catch fish to stave off hunger. I wait, consuming what little food I have left, and pray for death to come to me.

What a shittily awesome start. Guess I'm rerolling :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 6, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've never actually survived a situation where I've been grounded to deal with the aftermath. It doesn't throw you a standing bone if you can splint your leg or anything?

e. You can butcher laying down. Nurse yourself back to health eating raw bear meat in between fits and starts of sleep afforded by the weather.

ee. gently caress raw, you can gather branches from trees while stuck on the ground. Spend your convalescence trying to roast it all 20 twigs at a time.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 6, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

zedprime posted:

I've never actually survived a situation where I've been grounded to deal with the aftermath. It doesn't throw you a standing bone if you can splint your leg or anything?

No, it's not a fracture, it's a crush. Basically the bear grabbed my calf and smushed it into a pulp, so I can only dress the wound and wait - wound is filled red, will take at least a month to heal. I'm not sure my food will last enough to be able to stand up, and being on a small island there's no foraging to be done.

I'm loving doomed, but I'm going to try to eat this peculiar grass I found. Even if it's poison, oh well, not like I have anything to lose :v:

e: I also found deadly poisonous mushrooms. Easy way out, or is it better to starve to death? Choices in this game...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 6, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you got to butchering without passing time too far into the future, you will be in a good spot to try and survive convalescence. Even if its baking in the summer sun, some bear meat will fairly easily get you to abundant before you get into the starvation game.

If you give up, that bear didn't kill you, your hide-lust did.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

zedprime posted:

If you give up, that bear didn't kill you, your hide-lust did.

You know me better than I know myself. I secretly hoped I'd be able to stand before the bear rotted to skin it, so I did not butcher it.

Now I shall crawl into the semi decomposed carcass and quietly pass away. Somebody in the future will find my cradled skeleton inside a bear skeleton and a new legend of werebears shall be born.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TorakFade posted:

No, it's not a fracture, it's a crush. Basically the bear grabbed my calf and smushed it into a pulp, so I can only dress the wound and wait - wound is filled red, will take at least a month to heal. I'm not sure my food will last enough to be able to stand up, and being on a small island there's no foraging to be done.

I'm loving doomed, but I'm going to try to eat this peculiar grass I found. Even if it's poison, oh well, not like I have anything to lose :v:

e: I also found deadly poisonous mushrooms. Easy way out, or is it better to starve to death? Choices in this game...

I could have sworn you could use a walking stick or something to get around with an injured leg. Maybe I'm thinking of a different game.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TorakFade posted:

You know me better than I know myself. I secretly hoped I'd be able to stand before the bear rotted to skin it, so I did not butcher it.

Now I shall crawl into the semi decomposed carcass and quietly pass away. Somebody in the future will find my cradled skeleton inside a bear skeleton and a new legend of werebears shall be born.
This reminds me, it would be a cool feature if you could run into the remains of your old characters as some sort of random events/encounters, kinda like the "bones" levels in Nethack.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nordick posted:

This reminds me, it would be a cool feature if you could run into the remains of your old characters as some sort of random events/encounters, kinda like the "bones" levels in Nethack.

It's on the development list for the future:

quote:

Utilizing the data of the deceased
NPCs telling legends about your late characters
Being able to find settlements and items of your late characters

The only "complaint" about this game I have, is that they're just a two-man team and while extremely committed, there's only so much two people can do in a set amount of time. If they'd manage to churn out features and content a bit faster rather than once every 3-4 months, it would be absolutely awesome.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Is there any mechanism to tell you how you're doing as far as "days played" for your character? I haven't found anything. I feel like I've been building this cabin for a year...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

he1ixx posted:

Is there any mechanism to tell you how you're doing as far as "days played" for your character? I haven't found anything. I feel like I've been building this cabin for a year...

When you die, the game tells you how many days you lasted :v:

The character log [L] gives you some details on what you did each day.

There's also the date in the main screen like "4th day of 7th week before midsummer point"

Other than that, you just have to count the days yourself.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

TorakFade posted:

When you die, the game tells you how many days you lasted :v:

The character log [L] gives you some details on what you did each day.

There's also the date in the main screen like "4th day of 7th week before midsummer point"

Other than that, you just have to count the days yourself.

That's what I thought. Is the character log a stored file with your full character history (out of game) because maybe you can mine it for that info? If not, I'll need to keep a little tally like a prisoner in a gulag, scratching into a wall (which might be fun).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

he1ixx posted:

That's what I thought. Is the character log a stored file with your full character history (out of game) because maybe you can mine it for that info? If not, I'll need to keep a little tally like a prisoner in a gulag, scratching into a wall (which might be fun).
It just dumps to text in the save file.

The in game date is more explicit than we are maybe giving it credit for. There are 13 weeks in a quarter. You know when you started. You can do the math to get the weeks, and take it down to days if you really want to account the chaff.

Start dates for reference:
Spring: day 2, 2 weeks before summer
Summer: day 6, 7 weeks before midsummer
Autumn: day 5, 11 weeks before winter
Winter: day 4, 11 weeks before midwinter

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

zedprime posted:

The in game date is more explicit than we are maybe giving it credit for. There are 13 weeks in a quarter. You know when you started. You can do the math to get the weeks, and take it down to days if you really want to account the chaff.

This is great. Thanks

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

zedprime posted:

Am I looking at the wrong thing? It looks like there are a couple of files -- one is binary called "LOG" and "LOG2"? one is a log of maybe the last day's events with a weird date-time string called like "messages" or something. Maybe the format changed or I need to look at them with something besides Sublime Text.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

he1ixx posted:

Am I looking at the wrong thing? It looks like there are a couple of files -- one is binary called "LOG" and "LOG2"? one is a log of maybe the last day's events with a weird date-time string called like "messages" or something. Maybe the format changed or I need to look at them with something besides Sublime Text.
You want msglog.txt

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

zedprime posted:

You want msglog.txt

This was the ticket. For those who care, each line in the msglog.txt has a specific format

pre:
(663333):16g8:[&]{058301FE}      | You fail to sneak unnoticeably.
(663333) <-- this is a message ID
:16g8: <-- this is the hour
[&] <--- this is the message type ( & for movement, Y for something that pertains to your senses, ! for a notification)
{058301FE} <--- this is the location

I wrote a script in python in a few minutes that told me my "days played" is 30. Time flies when you're having fun building a cabin

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I almost rerolled my latest character after getting robbed on an outing and and being left for dead with a deep cut in my neck and shoulder. I did the cabin in the woods start and lost all my axes, knife, and half my clothes. Couldn't make new clothes thanks to my shoulder cut and only the smaller of the two cabins was completed at the time. I did have a small cache of bandages and some healing herbs on hand though, so I sucked it up and soldiered on. An elk's worth of smoked meat from my half completed trap fence held me over while I nursed my wounds and applied herbs generously. This was just before winter.

Winter's almost over now and I have a full set of hand crafted furs and leather, I'm an expert climber and skier, and my stockpile of smoked and dried goods has given me a replacement set of fine and masterwork axes, knives, and shovel, as well as a dog. I'm over 50% hideworking and nearing 50 building, carpentry, and timbercraft. My cabin's finished and a fence surrounds my small domain. I recently trapped a bear in a trap pit and used it to train my sword skill to 50% as well, and got a fine hide to boot. There's a Lynx around and that fucker won't touch any of the bait in my deadfall traps though. We've come a long way baby, can't wait for spring to roll around so I can finally try my hand at agriculture. Game rules.

E; It's like the plot for the movie Revenant was lifted from an LP of this game.

Double Edit: Would it be possible to track down the guys who robbed me and kill them off to get my stuff back, or do entities like that despawn eventually? It would be pretty awesome to serve a dish of cold vengeance on them now that I have a proper sword and decent armor, not to mention a pretty high sneaking skill.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 8, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Preview of the upcomming quests addtion

Also, I knew it was Sami, but its amusing to see the difference:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 16, 2016

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Is there any way to zoom into the F6 map to get a somewhat better view of things? It feels waaaay too zoomed in to be of use when you're starting out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Nope, its purposefully janky as a compromise that you only have a good eidetic memory instead of a perfect one. Its only a half bad idea because it works to keep track of the big picture with automarkers or custom markers, but still makes you rely on navigation by natural features so as to encourage learning the neighborhood yourself. Which feels kind of cool when you realize you know how to get to your local village by what rivers, hills, and biome changes are along the way.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

zedprime posted:

Nope, its purposefully janky as a compromise that you only have a good eidetic memory instead of a perfect one. Its only a half bad idea because it works to keep track of the big picture with automarkers or custom markers, but still makes you rely on navigation by natural features so as to encourage learning the neighborhood yourself. Which feels kind of cool when you realize you know how to get to your local village by what rivers, hills, and biome changes are along the way.

I suppose that makes sense. Just glad I'm not missing anything because it is easy to lose your house in a huge expanse of forest!

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

he1ixx posted:

I suppose that makes sense. Just glad I'm not missing anything because it is easy to lose your house in a huge expanse of forest!

As it should be. But it would be cool if your character's familiarity with an area had some effect on the way you view the world. For example, if you've been living in the same forest for over a year, it should be trivial to find your way to your cottage or find the path to the village you've been trading with for many moons. Or even just a button that says "You're unsure/confident/certain your home is to the north." sort of deal.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Started with a forest fire and a body nearby. Stripped the body, stumbled through the forest for a while until I found a river and drank myself silly. Now to figure out what the poo poo to do.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, picked this up recently and trying my luck as a hunter. Starting in summer, it seems to my that my pathway should be 1. Make basic base (shelter), 2. Hunt an elk, 3. skin and tan, and butcher the elk and preserve some of the meat for winter, rinse and repeat. But here's the issue, preserving means smoking and that is going to mean building a house which will take weeks if not months, won't it?

Is there a different pathway I should be looking at? Also, if you don't start with a proper axe, do you guys stick with a stone axe or try and get a proper one from a village? If trading is the answer, what's a good starting commodity to sell?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Your first goal as a hunter is to build a smokehouse in the place where you're eventually going to be building your home. A 2x1 hut with a fireplace and nothing else is a lot more doable than a full house, and you can live in it if you don't get a house built by winter.

First thing you need is a full set of axes. The Finnish word for carpenter is kirvesmies, which means 'axe man'. If you've got a full set of the proper axes, you can get things built much faster and better than if you try to do everything with a handaxe. You want a woodman's axe for cutting down trees, a broad axe for making logs, and a carving axe for making the walls. A splitting axe for making firewood and boards is helpful but not as necessary as the others. So take your dead elks and trade the hides and meat for those axes - you'll probably have to visit a bunch of villages and towns to find them all.

Once you've got all those, what you need next is food to build it. Roasted meat in a cellar (build a cellar) can last about a week, so every time you kill an elk keep a week's food from it and eat that first. Trade the rest for preserved foods from villages - most have a few smoked/salted/dried fish available as well as some bread. Then spend a few more days working on your smokehouse before you go hunting again. You should have the smokehouse done within a season at the most, at which point you can start smoking your own food and you've got somewhere you can hole up for the winter even if you don't get a house done in time.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Tehan's got good advice there, but another thing I picked up was to make my first cellar next to the water where I tan my skins. Apparently temperature has some effect on how fast a hide will spoil, so tanning them on/in the cellar increases the buffer before your skins rot. You can always build a new cellar closer to your smokehouse or whatever later on and just keep the original for hides.

E; Also, when making boards early on for housing, set aside any fine boards you happen to make and use them later on to make fine skis/paddles/etc. for personal use. The quality of boards have no significance when building homes to my knowledge, so wasting them on building projects is kind of useless.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 26, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Soooo, an exploit (sort of) is getting fixed in next patch:

quote:

- added: need to pay companions & companion inventory restrictions

* companion inventory restrictions

You can't anymore freely pick all the items of your companions to yourself. Companions now tend to keep
their most valuable and usable personal items to themselves, and usually only the cheap items and
food are freely pickable. However, all the items you have delivered to your companion can be picked
back at will if they are not in use (wielded or worn) at the moment. So it is still safe to pack or lend
your companions even the most valuable goods you have.

* need to pay companions for their days of service and items claimed

Companions now require some reward for their days of service. Their price is roughly a value of one squirrel
hide per day of service and you can pay them basically with any valuable goods. Also, if you have claimed
companion's items to yourself they expect to be paid for those items too. In short, companions now always
expect to leave with more valuable inventory than what they had upon recruitment.

A day before companions are about to leave they'll let you know how they feel about their equipment
and whether they expect to be paid more. If more payment is wanted simply deliver items to your
companions and they'll let you know when they are happy with it. You don't have to do it at once
but have the whole day to settle the payment. Talking to your companion at any time ("Greet" or "Ask for help"
chat options) will also make them speak their mind about the remaining payment.

If you fail to pay companions before they leave you'll be reminded about it the one last time. From there on
you can still deliver goods to settle the payment, but ex-companions don't necessarily stay around for
too long. Failing to pay companions lowers your reputation in their village, and makes hiring new companions
there quite difficult.

But not all is lost! We also have a very, very nice addition for all the fishermen out there:

quote:

* tweaked: net fishing catch checks time window

Net fishing catch checks are now hourly based instead of previously used morning based checks.
This means you can catch fish with nets within a shorter time window. Even within an hour from
setting the net - if you're lucky and the conditions are right.

Despite of the shorter time window it should be still remembered that in addition to your fishing
skill level the factors such as terrain, water depth and time of the day also contribute
to what kind fish and how much of it your net is likely to catch - if at all.

* gradual catch spoilage

Catch spoilage due to fish eventually dying in unretrieved nets is now gradual. You may still be
able to get some of catch good and edible even if the nets have been left unretrieved for days.

In general it's still advisable to check your nets at least on every other day.

* setting multiple nets to same tile now forbidden

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

quote:

* setting multiple nets to same tile now forbidden
I always thought this one was kind of silly honestly. Then again, so is being able to lay out 10 hides to dry on top of each other after rinsing them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I set nets and hides to separate tiles because it looks cool.

Could have probably figured that companion change was coming with the whole social/quest stuff having priority. But it still sounds like you can pay a lumberjack with less food than you would need to eat yourself to keep nutrition up while cutting down as many trees.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I started a game with the njerpaz slave start and there was a group of friendly robbers attacking the camp right when I started. They ran for a tree line (so I did too) and engaged the njerpaz there. 4 or 5 of the njerpaz died, I stole a scimitar, bow and arrows and engaged two njerpaz. Took an arrow in my stomach and bled out. I got too greedy :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
How do sages work with injuries? If I visit a sage can I skip on cleaning and dressing them for that day or do I do all 3?

I've been doing these runaway slave starts and on the latest I got away pretty cleanly, came back and killed three njerpaz but ended up with injuries totalling 55% penalty, one of which is serious.

• Locked thread