Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

A guy I shared a house with at uni is now a company director and just got his staff XPS 15s with the 4k screens, i7 CPUs, 32GB RAM and 1TB SSDs. He said "I can't afford for people to be limited by their computers". It was such a surprise to hear someone responsible for actually spending the money say that.
I don't understand. Why'd he intentionally cripple them by not buying them Macs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They literally do nothing that runs natively/properly on a Mac - AutoCAD, 3DS Max stuff etc.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't being serious. Not that I know of any of them, but I'm sure there's tons of jobs for which Windows is superior.

Although I'm also sure if I wanted to run CAD, I'd not run it on laptops.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They do a lot of work all over the place, and have Thunderbolt docks for when they're in the office.

It's not a 24x7 CAD operation that would make workstations a good idea, but yeah, nice to see purchasing decisions not made purely on price. I think I forgot I was in the Mac thread when I posted.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

A guy I shared a house with at uni is now a company director and just got his staff XPS 15s with the 4k screens, i7 CPUs, 32GB RAM and 1TB SSDs. He said "I can't afford for people to be limited by their computers". It was such a surprise to hear someone responsible for actually spending the money say that.

Every company I've worked for has been like that. Need a license? You've got it. Need hardware? You've got it. Need LOTS of hardware? Well, let's run it through the finance people, but you've probably got it.

Hardware is CHEAP. People are expensive. God knows I cost probably something like 400 a day, even though I obviously don't see all of that, spending 1k extra on some hardware is a no-brainer.

Pretty much every time I start a new job they ask me, you know, what do you want and how badass do you want it? When we spin up SQL Server instances we reserve them 32gb of fixed RAM because gently caress THE BLADES we can BUY MORE!

Being frugal is good, but HR is the most expensive part of any technology company, so gently caress it, toss money at the machines so your people live easier. Machines don't get sick and stressed, people do.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Icloud Find My Mac Lock Hijacking

I remember reading awhile back about that "Oleg Pliss" thing where people were getting their devices remotely locked by people who got their Apple usernames/passwords phished or otherwise compromised. I found out that with an Apple ID username/password, you can remotely lock both i-devices as well as OS X Mac computers. This doesn't require two-factor, which makes sense to an extent because a lot of time the trusted device might be lost.

Anyways, if someone gets someone's Apple ID username/password and locks someone's Mac, is there any way to do a factory reset on the Mac, or is it completely worthless as in it can never be used again? (This would really suck if it happened to a high-end MBP or MP.)

I have FileVault 2 on my systems, so if it's stolen it's not that useful (I shutdown my Macbook when I'm not using it or transporting it). If this could perma-brick my computers I'd absolutely turn off that "find my device" option.

ASIDE: I've been done some research and it looks like if this ever happens you may need to do a PRAM reset AND wipe the machine.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 5, 2016

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Three-Phase posted:

Icloud Find My Mac Lock Hijacking

I remember reading awhile back about that "Oleg Pliss" thing where people were getting their devices remotely locked by people who got their Apple usernames/passwords phished or otherwise compromised. I found out that with an Apple ID username/password, you can remotely lock both i-devices as well as OS X Mac computers. This doesn't require two-factor, which makes sense to an extent because a lot of time the trusted device might be lost.

Anyways, if someone gets someone's Apple ID username/password and locks someone's Mac, is there any way to do a factory reset on the Mac, or is it completely worthless as in it can never be used again? (This would really suck if it happened to a high-end MBP or MP.)

I have FileVault 2 on my systems, so if it's stolen it's not that useful (I shutdown my Macbook when I'm not using it or transporting it). If this could perma-brick my computers I'd absolutely turn off that "find my device" option.

Nah you could just reinstall OS X and be fine. And if you have the original receipt, you can just take it to an Apple Store and they'll unlock for you so you don't need to do a wipe.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

mediaphage posted:

Nah you could just reinstall OS X and be fine. And if you have the original receipt, you can just take it to an Apple Store and they'll unlock for you so you don't need to do a wipe.

It's that easy? Wow. I do have my receipt from way back when i got it (amazingly Apple doesn't use that douchy "fades in 30 days" receipt paper crap).

Is this feature basically for people who don't have the foresight to use FileVault?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 5, 2016

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Where do I send my resume?

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Bob Morales posted:

Yes it's the same cable

IuniusBrutus posted:

Are the cables integrated like they are on the thunderbolt display? That is my big concern with that - they aren't replaceable, so if the thunderbolt cable trays or whatever I'm hosed.

A useful trick with the thunderbolt display: if your all-in-one cable craps out (as they often do) you can run a regular TB cable to one of the two TB ports on the back of the display and it'll work exactly the same, aside from losing the functionality of one of the displays' built in TB ports.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Voodoo Cafe posted:

A useful trick with the thunderbolt display: if your all-in-one cable craps out (as they often do) you can run a regular TB cable to one of the two TB ports on the back of the display and it'll work exactly the same, aside from losing the functionality of one of the displays' built in TB ports.

:aaaaa:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cingulate posted:

Although I'm also sure if I wanted to run CAD, I'd not run it on laptops.
Actual workstation laptops are perfectly suited for CAD and most AutoDesk applications. I do some of my own design drafting on a Dell Precision M4800 and besides needing a heavy adapter if I want to draft on the go, it handles CAD, Microstation, and Revit just fine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I use solid works in bootcamp on my mbp, it runs extremely well I just make sure to carry a charger and a mouse because it kills the battery in about two hours and no way am I doing this on the trackpad.

There's also a perfectly good Mac version of autocad

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 5, 2016

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ethanol posted:

I use solid works in bootcamp on my mbp, it runs extremely well I just make sure to carry a charger and a mouse because it kills the battery in about two hours and no way am I doing this on the trackpad.

There's also a perfectly good Mac version of autocad

The Mac version of AutoCAD is extremely limited relative to the likes of Civil3D, MEP, and other discipline-specific areas. But yes, it's perfectly fine for college architectural students.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

SourKraut posted:

The Mac version of AutoCAD is extremely limited relative to the likes of Civil3D, MEP, and other discipline-specific areas. But yes, it's perfectly fine for college architectural students.

It crashes somewhat more frequently than the Windows version too I guess. I'm that case bootcamp that app too. Still I think most people can get by with bootcamp now even in engineering unless you're doing pretty gpu heavy stuff. Our cad workstation are complete poo poo even compared to my mbp. Obviously if your company is doing something so specific to Windows they'll probably enforce you to get Windows and you won't be asking in this thread

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 5, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
tl;dr: how much of a hurry should I be in to replace my late-2010 11" MacBook Air, and if I keep it longer how best can I keep it running smoothly?

I have a 2010 MacBook Air that I bought to replace my 2005 MacBook because it was running slow as gently caress, shutting down spontaneously due to PRAM issues or whatever, etc. It was a night-day difference, switching out this big clunky white plastic thing with a whirring drive for a sleek little slip of whisper quiet aluminum that ran at (relatively) blazing speed. I've had my 2010 just as long now, and it runs a little slow, or takes a second to wake up sometimes, but when I'm looking at the specs for the current equivalent models I'm pretty underwhelmed. Has the MacBook Air just really not changed that much in a half-decade?

Here's what I got:

MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010)
Processor 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
120GB Flash Storage

Looking at the current specs, it's pretty much this except with some configurable options (that weren't available when mine was assembled) for 256 or 512GB of storage, and maybe the graphics are better but I don't know how to read the specs.

If my MacBook Air is basically working, but a little slow sometimes, how much longer can I nurse it forward before risking a catastrophic failure (which would suck because I'm working in West Africa right now and replacing it would be tough). I'm going to be back in the US for a bit, can I get some more life out of it by paying an Apple Store to maybe open it up and clean out all the dust, replace a couple expendable parts (I replaced the battery 18 months ago), etc? Or should I not push my luck relying on an old laptop as my main work computer and should just replace it when the new stuff comes out in June? There's rumor that this year they're going to merge the Macbook, Pro, and Air line all together into one single line and add all the improvements then.

That aside, just regarding the running slow, I've been reading some Mac threads about "how do I make my computer faster" so I'm getting some basic ideas of how to improve that. My main question is how do I figure out what worthless crap I have cluttering up the computer? Not like music/photos/etc that suck (I'm in the process of moving all those to Amazon Cloud anyway), but I'm curious about how "Other" is taking up a full half of my memory, and if any of that is vestigial appendix stuff that I don't actually need and it's bogging me down.

Here's where I'm at:

Flash Storage 121 GB
Other: 62.09 GB
Photos: 31.72 GB
Movies: 16.7 GB
Audio: 3.76 GB
Apps: 2.37 GB
Backups: 2.2MB

Not asking for step-by-step (I'll google it) but broadly speaking does anyone have any "download XYZ app and it'll tell you what crap you can safely delete" kind of advice, or whatever to free up some space other than moving more of my personal files to the cloud?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A 2013+ MacBook Air will Geekbench around 2400 and your current machine will do around 1000.

I love those things but the 2010 MacBook Air 11" is really the bottom of the barrel performance-wise, except for the original Air

You'll basically get something that's overall 2-3 times as fast and even faster when it comes to the SSD and graphics card. And the biggest bonus is instead of the battery lasting 3-4 hours it will last 7-9 hours.

I love the 11" Air. I'd buy it if you want to sell it cheap. You could just do a fresh install of El Capitan if you want to clean it up.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Bob Morales posted:

I love the 11" Air. I'd buy it if you want to sell it cheap. You could just do a fresh install of El Capitan if you want to clean it up.

Thanks for the clarification, I guess I'm really just not savvy enough to read specs and understand what's better about what, so the benefits of upgrading were escaping me.

Are there high hopes for whatever comes out this June being tons better than what's on the market this month? My understanding is the new MacBook will be just one port, all USB-C (a feature I'm inordinately excited about), maybe Retina display, and whatever other cool stuff.

So far as a "fresh install" to clean it up, what would that entail exactly? I haven't installed El Capitan since I only have a few gigs of space so I didn't think the computer would let me install with so little breathing room. Do I need to free up space first to be able to install? I'm vaguely aware that there are free apps you can download to find old junk, I dunno, like outdated redundant versions of MS Office or iMovie or whatever is clogging all this space up. Just not sure which to do when/first.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Are there high hopes for whatever comes out this June being tons better than what's on the market this month? My understanding is the new MacBook will be just one port, all USB-C (a feature I'm inordinately excited about), maybe Retina display, and whatever other cool stuff.
The MacBook already came out. The unknown right now is, will the Air go away and the MacBook take its place? Will the new MacBook Pro use USB-C? Will the Air ever get a Retina screen?

So far as a "fresh install" to clean it up, what would that entail exactly? I haven't installed El Capitan since I only have a few gigs of space so I didn't think the computer would let me install with so little breathing room. Do I need to free up space first to be able to install? I'm vaguely aware that there are free apps you can download to find old junk, I dunno, like outdated redundant versions of MS Office or iMovie or whatever is clogging all this space up. Just not sure which to do when/first.

That 'Other' could be time machine backups etc. In Finder what does your disk say it has free?

You could download El Cap form the App store (6-8GB?) and then make a USB installer. Backup your data, boot from the USB stick and then format your existing drive.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The "Other" category is everything that isn't an image, video, audio file, or app, so it includes documents, system files, Gary Kleck ebooks, etc. I recommend DaisyDisk if you want to get a good look at what exactly is taking up all that space.

The way I always do clean installs of OS X is to do the regular in-place upgrade through the Mac App Store, then boot into recovery mode, wipe my drive, and install a fresh copy from the recovery partition. Not sure if there's a less convoluted way to do it, but this has always worked for me.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Thanks for the clarification, I guess I'm really just not savvy enough to read specs and understand what's better about what, so the benefits of upgrading were escaping me.

One somewhat subtle thing about the specs is that from the 2011 model year onwards the Air got "Sandy Bridge" and newer CPU generations with Intel's "Turbo Boost" feature. This lets them run at a much higher clock rate most of the time. I had an i7 version of the 2011 13" Air and IIRC the base frequency quoted in Apple's specs was 1.8, but peak was 2.9, and it would actually run close to that peak in real world use. The CPU cores also got a rather huge boost in performance per clock, so even if you could turn turbo off and restrict them to the same clock speeds as a 2010 they'd still beat the 2010 by a wide margin.

You're actually not entirely wrong about Air performance kind of standing still for a few years, it's just that you're off by a year on the start of the stagnation. CPU performance improvements since the 2011 models have been modest. Clock frequencies have sometimes gone backwards, basically because Intel wanted to convert gains in perf/clock ratio into energy savings rather than performance. The things which have improved substantially since 2011 are graphics performance and battery life.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BobHoward posted:

One somewhat subtle thing about the specs is that from the 2011 model year onwards the Air got "Sandy Bridge" and newer CPU generations with Intel's "Turbo Boost" feature. This lets them run at a much higher clock rate most of the time. I had an i7 version of the 2011 13" Air and IIRC the base frequency quoted in Apple's specs was 1.8, but peak was 2.9, and it would actually run close to that peak in real world use. The CPU cores also got a rather huge boost in performance per clock, so even if you could turn turbo off and restrict them to the same clock speeds as a 2010 they'd still beat the 2010 by a wide margin.

You're actually not entirely wrong about Air performance kind of standing still for a few years, it's just that you're off by a year on the start of the stagnation. CPU performance improvements since the 2011 models have been modest. Clock frequencies have sometimes gone backwards, basically because Intel wanted to convert gains in perf/clock ratio into energy savings rather than performance. The things which have improved substantially since 2011 are graphics performance and battery life.

yup, though I'd argue it's lineup wide, not strictly limited to the Air (maybe that's what you intended it to mean, if so, sorry). aside from graphics, which was never its strong suit, my 2012 MBP doesn't feel slow even a little bit, and looking at the numbers it's not that far from today - and this is a base model. the only reason i'm prolly going to upgrade this summer is so i can run better monitors.

regarding MBA and slowing down, having poo poo on your drive isn't going to bog you down even remotely, as long as OS X has some free space left for swap, caching, and temp files (i like to have at least 10GB free, but that's honestly more than you need). so while it's nice to have free space, because it gives you more versatility in terms of what you can do on your laptop, having any more than a couple of gigs free isn't going to make your macbook any faster. there's not really anything an apple store can do; if you can get access to one of those pentalobe screwdrives or whatever it is they use, you could open it up and blow out dust; that's the only thing they'd be able to do to help.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

eBay has the 12" MacBook for $990

slickdeals.net/f/8639390-apple-macbook-12-laptop-core-m-256gb-pcie-8gb-memory-os-x-990-free-shipping

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This is an HP, but it at least shows that you can do MacBook sizes with proper i-Series processors. The design cues and materials look like poo poo(THOSE FUCKIN HINGES?!), but hey, good for someone competing with Apple and making an effort.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/5/11365474/hp-spectre-13-announced-price-specs-release-date

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bob Morales posted:

eBay has the 12" MacBook for $990

slickdeals.net/f/8639390-apple-macbook-12-laptop-core-m-256gb-pcie-8gb-memory-os-x-990-free-shipping

loving hell that's tempting.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

AlternateAccount posted:

This is an HP, but it at least shows that you can do MacBook sizes with proper i-Series processors. The design cues and materials look like poo poo(THOSE FUCKIN HINGES?!), but hey, good for someone competing with Apple and making an effort.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/5/11365474/hp-spectre-13-announced-price-specs-release-date

True. If something like that was available in 2013 I probably wouldn't have bought a MBP. I hope it does well and keeps apple on their toes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Ready to lol at the battery life

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

loving hell that's tempting.

I don't know. I think the MacBook is a bit overpriced and I'm hoping the reduce the base price a little bit with the next model, like they did the Air.

Remember the first MacBook Air was $1,799 (SSD was a $1,000 option), 2GB RAM, barely 3 hour battery life...

Then later on in 2013 you can get the 13" for $799 on sale at Best Buy with 4GB/128GB and it was a screamer with 12 hours of battery life.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I don't know. I think the MacBook is a bit overpriced and I'm hoping the reduce the base price a little bit with the next model, like they did the Air.

Remember the first MacBook Air was $1,799 (SSD was a $1,000 option), 2GB RAM, barely 3 hour battery life...

Then later on in 2013 you can get the 13" for $799 on sale at Best Buy with 4GB/128GB and it was a screamer with 12 hours of battery life.

The CPU advancements from 2010 -> 2013 were amazing. It kind of stagnated from there sadly. AMD needs to step up their game so Intel can stay honest

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bob Morales posted:

I just want retina in an Air profile. I don't game or do anything CPU intensive, and TBH I don't really plug anything into my laptop often. I guess the waiting game continues.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Best Buy has the 13" Pros @ $200 off. Including the mid-2012 model.

...That thing is still being sold!?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Silver95280 posted:

Yup. They keep it around for the people who really really want Firewire and/or an optical drive built in.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Silver95280 posted:

Still does really well in the education market.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Silver95280 posted:

https://marco.org/2016/01/04/md101ll-a

TL/DR

It's not that slow (compared to the 2015 13" MBPr - If you compare the best CPUs on each, the difference is only 7% and 9% for single- and multi-threaded, respectively.

Cheap storage - it's the only Mac that can use regular hard drives or SSD's

It has Thunderbolt, USB 3, Ethernet, DVD

You can stick a 1TB SSD ($290) and 16GB RAM ($60) in there for cheap. That would be a $700 upgrade to the top of the line $1799 13" MBPr

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Other than a lackluster GPU (Intel HD 4000) the Mid 2012 is a very decent machine, especially with the old-school upgradability.

It costs a loving mint to upgrade the storage on any Late 2013 MBP or later, and you can never upgrade the RAM either.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
So $200 off on the latest model is pretty crazy, right? That must mean the new ones are right around the corner.

Are we expecting any significant changes?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm still rocking the 2012 mbp with a new SSD , 16gb of ram and original 500gb mechanical drive instead of the SuperDrive and apart from being a bit heavy, it's great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm still rocking the 2012 mbp with a new SSD , 16gb of ram and original 500gb mechanical drive instead of the SuperDrive and apart from being a bit heavy, it's great.

I left the house with a 15" classic MBP(with a Speck snap-on case on it) before and it was :lol: compared to a 13" rMBP or Air

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are there and m

rear end Catchcum posted:

So $200 off on the latest model is pretty crazy, right? That must mean the new ones are right around the corner.

Are we expecting any significant changes?
Yeah, what's currently a realistic estimate for what the next MB gen will bring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

1997 posted:

This was added four or five months ago.

Every driver I had ever tried before this update maxed out at 4K resolution. They updated it at one point for Windows 10 and all and it had good performance, but still didn't do 5K. Driver date on this one is from 2/9/2016

Performance seems better for me, and games like Just Cause 3 have been looking a lot better with the settings cranked up.