Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

chippy posted:

Any recommendations for the Nexus 6P? I was going to go with my usual Diztronic TPU (or similar) + tempered glass combo, but the one on the Play Store actually looks quite nice (https://store.google.com/product/adopted_case_n6p). Does anyone have it? My only concern is that it might not be all that protective.

I have the Diztronic case for my 6P, and it's even nicer than my previous Diztronic cases. The button covers are a lot nicer than previous models (they are partially cut out, I guess it helps them move easier with button presses). The edges on it are more squared off too, which I think gives it a nicer look and feel.

Also, dirt cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Are there any links out yet to get a flashable version of the April security OTA (not the full system image)? Googling hasn't helped me.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I have the Diztronic case for my 6P, and it's even nicer than my previous Diztronic cases. The button covers are a lot nicer than previous models (they are partially cut out, I guess it helps them move easier with button presses). The edges on it are more squared off too, which I think gives it a nicer look and feel.

Also, dirt cheap.

Thanks. I actually just went for the Spigen rugged armor + tempered galss in the end as it was even cheaper than the Diztronic and had decent reviews, and carrying this thing around naked is making me nervous, but if I don't like it I'll probably grab a Diztronic, the one I had on my OnePlus One was spot on.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Are there any links out yet to get a flashable version of the April security OTA (not the full system image)? Googling hasn't helped me.

I was looking this afternoon too and as far as I can tell no

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

I'm thinking of buying one of these $30 VR headsets on Amazon just to dip my toe in the bleak future that is virtual reality. Is there one that is goon approved? There's a million of them, reviews are all over the place, and random ones say they aren't compatible with the Google Cardboard app for some reason.

I tried a random amazon one that ended up sucking. Then I got an actual cardboard one from Google that works really well, and I've also used the viewmaster one that was even better than that.

Get the viewmaster

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Am I the only one who thinks they should put out the "these are the security issue we're fixing" info *AFTER* they get it out to >50% of the nexus phones? Or do the security bulletins not have any specific info in them?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Am I the only one who thinks they should put out the "these are the security issue we're fixing" info *AFTER* they get it out to >50% of the nexus phones? Or do the security bulletins not have any specific info in them?

http://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2016-04-02.html

This is what goes up a few hours after the system images are released. I'm not sure you could do much with that level of detail from a malicious standpoint.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It makes no difference whether Google goes into detail, since anyone can diff the old code with the new code and get a convenient listing of exactly where the exploits were in the old version, alongside a fixed version highlighting what the problem was.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
If every security update is that critical none of us should be using Android.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

DemonMage posted:

That's a Samsung feature. Android will play your incoming call sound through the speakers too, but not random notifications.

This seems really dumb, for both Samsung and Android in general. Is there a fix? If not, is there a recommended app for straightening out this bullshit? I don't need all sorts of configurability for DND etc... I just want to be able to send all sounds through the headphones when connected. I can't imagine this isn't the desired behavior for like 95%+ of users.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
https://twitter.com/htc/status/717743733739954176

New HTC video mentions Ultrapixel, OIS, and 4k video

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
My Nexus 5x got here, I love it. Perfect size, glad I didn't go with the 6P as it just doesn't fit my usage habits. Battery seems ok so far and everything is so damned fast compared to my Nexus 4. I ended up going with the overpriced official case but its a very nice fit.

Thanks for the earlier advice thread, really nice phone.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

https://twitter.com/htc/status/717743733739954176

New HTC video mentions Ultrapixel, OIS, and 4k video
They're re-arranging the little drink umbrellas next to the chairs on the Titanic at this point.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Mr Executive posted:

This seems really dumb, for both Samsung and Android in general. Is there a fix? If not, is there a recommended app for straightening out this bullshit? I don't need all sorts of configurability for DND etc... I just want to be able to send all sounds through the headphones when connected. I can't imagine this isn't the desired behavior for like 95%+ of users.

That might be a bug, on my Note only incoming calls play through the speakers when headphones are plugged in.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ilkhan posted:

They're re-arranging the little drink umbrellas next to the chairs on the Titanic at this point.

They're busy pivoting into being a hardware OEM for Valve.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Verizon really wants me to upgrade from my Droid Turbo to one of their newer options, and, in exchange, are offering an unneeded boost to our family plan's bandwidth if I should do so, but it's a bit of a bitter pill given that we've already got 4GB of overhead (We have an 18GB plan, on the worst month ever for bandwidth we managed to hit 14, but typically stick right around 10-12 with 5 or so lines).

My turbo is probably the best smartphone I've ever had, but any time you can get something "free" out of verizon, it's worth considering.

I need long battery run-time, and so I'm mostly considering Turbo2 vs. S7edge. I also need Bluetooth LE, so the HTC M9 isn't even being considered.

My major complaint with my Turbo has been the weakness of the Bluetooth+wifi chip, which loses connection if you have more than a couple things running at once, such as Car phone connection + Smartwatch + YaV1 + Wifi enabled, you'll lose connection to any of the above randomly and usually at the worst possible times.

Has this been improved upon in either the Turbo2 or the S7 Edge?

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 6, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

broken clock opsec posted:

They're busy pivoting into being a hardware OEM for Valve.
For what? Steamboxes? Are those HTC?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ilkhan posted:

For what? Steamboxes? Are those HTC?
The Vive is HTC.

Steambox is just a concept and anyone can make a computer running Steam OS. Dell sells one. I can't really imagine HTC wants to move from one zero-margin industry to another one.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

RZA Encryption posted:

I tried a random amazon one that ended up sucking. Then I got an actual cardboard one from Google that works really well, and I've also used the viewmaster one that was even better than that.

Get the viewmaster

This is correct. Surprised how decent it was to be honest

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I just got the notification to update to Marshmallow on my Galaxy S6, Should I accept the update, or will this be a very heavy piece of straw designed to eventually break my phone ever so conveniently at the 2 year mark.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Typical posted:

I just got the notification to update to Marshmallow on my Galaxy S6, Should I accept the update, or will this be a very heavy piece of straw designed to eventually break my phone ever so conveniently at the 2 year mark.

How did you manage to get a Galaxy S6 one whole year before it launched?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Desk Lamp posted:

How did you manage to get a Galaxy S6 one whole year before it launched?

What do you think the word eventually means?

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

Mooktastical posted:

If you're rooted, Autostarts by Michael Elsdorfer (on the Play store) can deny the media key pressed event to any app you like, so you can just keep anything from happening that way.

Thanks, I'm not and I don't think I'll bother so I'll probably just put up with it for now until I get some new ones. Cheers for the recommendation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Big sale on Spigen cases for S7, S7 Edge, and G5: http://www.androidcentral.com/spigen-offering-variety-galaxy-s7-s7-edge-and-lg-g5-cases-under-4

Works internationally too, for non Americans.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Huawei P9 plus was announced today for €749 ($850) :lol::lol:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What do you think the word eventually means?

Well if the question is if an update will break the phone a year from now the answer would be: who the gently caress knows?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Typical posted:

Lol

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I'm just asking if the update is good or not. Will it leave my phone un harmed or will it slow it down? honest question. I tried googling this but all i can get are overly SEO'd pages that keep saying " The update is coming out"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

6.0 will improve the experience on your phone. Please update.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like the Moto X Pure is on sale for $349. Worth it over the Nexus 5x?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hughmoris posted:

Well you can get the 5X for $199 through that project fi thing so keep that in mind.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

I can't really say if it's worth it or not, but I just got a Moto X Pure and I love it. The active display along with the gestures are things I didn't really think I'd care about, but now I wouldn't want to live without.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I bought a ZTE Maven AT&T GoPhone for $20 on Black Friday to have as a backup. I finally opened it up and it's... underwhelming to say the last. I didn't know IPS screens could have such horrible viewing angles.

That said, I figure I might as well put it so some use. Obviously, I can use it as an iPod since it takes microSD, but is there another way I could repurpose it?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So here's a question - can removing a tempered glass screen protector damage or strip the original oleophobic coating on a screen? I'm always in 2 minds whether to put one on on a new device. Not wanting to spoil the aesthetics of the device, and the fact that I find they seem to add a bit of reflectivity, but aware of the fact that I've cracked multiple phone screens and the coating on my OnePlus One had a big gouge in it within a week of me owning it. I always end up using new phones 'naked' for a few days but being really nervous about doing so. I'm tempted to just put the case on my Nexus and not worry about the screen protector but I know I'll probably end up scratching it and regretting it within a month.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Skarsnik posted:

I was looking this afternoon too and as far as I can tell no

It has appeared:

https://android.googleapis.com/pack...from-MHC19J.zip

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Just as I got the update sent to me overnight. I guess I lucked out and was in the earlier batches. Thank you for the link either way!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I plugged my Moto G in and the reported charge shot up immediately to 100%. I rebooted it and it still reported 95%.

Is this a sign my battery is failing?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Kytrarewn posted:

Verizon really wants me to upgrade from my Droid Turbo to one of their newer options, and, in exchange, are offering an unneeded boost to our family plan's bandwidth if I should do so, but it's a bit of a bitter pill given that we've already got 4GB of overhead (We have an 18GB plan, on the worst month ever for bandwidth we managed to hit 14, but typically stick right around 10-12 with 5 or so lines).

My turbo is probably the best smartphone I've ever had, but any time you can get something "free" out of verizon, it's worth considering.

I need long battery run-time, and so I'm mostly considering Turbo2 vs. S7edge. I also need Bluetooth LE, so the HTC M9 isn't even being considered.

My major complaint with my Turbo has been the weakness of the Bluetooth+wifi chip, which loses connection if you have more than a couple things running at once, such as Car phone connection + Smartwatch + YaV1 + Wifi enabled, you'll lose connection to any of the above randomly and usually at the worst possible times.

Has this been improved upon in either the Turbo2 or the S7 Edge?

I haven't used a Turbo 1, so I don't know how the wireless is on it to compare. I think the wifi on my Turbo2 is better than the Droid Maxx I had before this. I've never had any trouble with bluetooth. But I don't use it as much you as you do, usually just one device at a time. BLE has been fine with my bike sensors.

The Turbo2 is really good IMO.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Dark One posted:

I plugged my Moto G in and the reported charge shot up immediately to 100%. I rebooted it and it still reported 95%.
What happens when you unplug it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Tunga posted:

What happens when you unplug it?