Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Blaze Dragon posted:

With Freeza, he knew Freeza could transform, but he didn't know that he could transform three times.

Not only that, there's the fact that Frieza's transformations are significantly different from Zarbon's. Whereas Zarbon transforms upwards to increase his power, Frieza's transformed states seem to have been created backwards to limit his power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Oh poo poo, Monaka's gonna gently caress Champa up!!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kaioken!? gently caress yea!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

the culminator posted:

Hit can only skip time for 0.1 seconds.

I knew he was a Stand User! :argh:

Raxivace posted:

Holy poo poo, the return of Super Saiyan Kaioken?

It's actually canon now, too.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Why didnt Vegeta just push the robot out of the ring like Goku did like 10 minutes ago.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Robots are heavy.

Also that's technically how he won anyway.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I love how they're bringing back all of the amazing techniques and stuff from DB/early Z

hit's timetravel-based moves are all but confirming xeno trunks and Kaiwaii for me

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Robots are heavy.

Also that's technically how he won anyway.

He is not a robot he is a metal man HOW RUDE

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A metal man aka Robot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

e: 2'd up

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 6, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Please stop the racism

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

Holy poo poo, the return of Super Saiyan Kaioken?

This shouldn't be a thing. During the fight with Frieza, King Kai explained that Goku didn't need to scream out "kaio ken" any more, because it was such an important technique that he was basically just using it at all times (in short bursts). Piccolo says the same thing during the andriod saga (which explains why all the guys who went to train with King Kai became really strong but never shout "Kaio Ken" ever)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Andrast posted:

Please stop the racism

Some of my best friends are robots, I'll have you know. People like Gato, Robo, Magetta and Crazy Diamond.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rutibex posted:

This shouldn't be a thing. During the fight with Frieza, King Kai explained that Goku didn't need to scream out "kaio ken" any more, because it was such an important technique that he was basically just using it at all times (in short bursts). Piccolo says the same thing during the andriod saga (which explains why all the guys who went to train with King Kai became really strong but never shout "Kaio Ken" ever)

Maybe, but maybe kaioken and Super Sayian are mutually exclusive states.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I just finished reading the entire original manga- all 42 volumes. It's pretty good, though I think the pacing is a bit too fast for my tastes. I've had quite a lot of fun reading it though- I'm so used to the anime that it was cool to come back to the original source material and see the story in a bit of a different light. It's kind of crazy how much material is covered in the final volume too- it begins with "Vegerot" (LOL) being created and of course ends with Goku and Uub leaving together.

Now to see if I can force myself to finish GT again. I've got like 40 episodes of it left though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I saw a theory on another website that the reason Beerus holds Monaka in high esteem isn't because Monaka is ridiculously powerful, but because he is the only one to beat him at Rock Paper Scissors.

I'm going to believe this is the case until Super tells me otherwise.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Hell yeah Kaioken.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

if Goku uses kaioken while he's super saiyan blue will that make him purple?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I saw a theory on another website that the reason Beerus holds Monaka in high esteem isn't because Monaka is ridiculously powerful, but because he is the only one to beat him at Rock Paper Scissors.

I'm going to believe this is the case until Super tells me otherwise.

Why is everyone in the Dragonball universe obsessed with rock/paper/scissors?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rutibex posted:

because it is a funny contrast to the big flashy fights, about as low-level a contest as you can get

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i like the idea of never getting to see monaka fight, and the series ending with beerus off handedly mentioning monaka is still much stronger than everyone else.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rutibex posted:

Because it was Goku's signature technique before the kamehameha wave.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Japan really likes rock paper scissors.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
what he has weird hypno-nipple powers? magic milk? he hulks out and goes uncontrollable? he's a fraud? he won in rock paper scissors?

none of this is as good as the level of trolling that ending will cause both towards goku/vegeta and the audience itself. people will be arguing about monaka on anime message boards til the end of time lol im pretty sure this is the way to go on this one.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm really liking all the fights so far in the tournament arc aren't just solved by punching hard and hitting them with a ki blast. So far the universe 6 fighters require the fighters to get around their gimmick. It looks like Hit will continue that trend. Really though Champa would likely have had this tourney in the bag if he didn't have ring outs.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
monaka's nipples has mastered athiesm kempo, he can defeat gods but is otherwise a pushover.

Also whoever made the joke that Hit was U6 Tao Pai Pai was... closer to the mark than we thought? Just with The World

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monaghan posted:

I'm really liking all the fights so far in the tournament arc aren't just solved by punching hard and hitting them with a ki blast. So far the universe 6 fighters require the fighters to get around their gimmick. It looks like Hit will continue that trend. Really though Champa would likely have had this tourney in the bag if he didn't have ring outs.

Not even remotely. The only reason the fights have been interesting is because Goku and Vegeta have not even remotely tried. If they had decided to just go Blue from the very beginning, every fight would've been won in a single blow - Vegeta vs Frost (where he didn't even use Blue) and Vegeta vs Cabba outright show this, and Goku says the same about Vegeta vs Magetta. Botamo is the only one that could've been an issue, and even there we don't know just how much he can actually resist.

This tournament wasn't a challenge for the Saiyans at all, beyond Hit. They've merely held back because they rightfully suspect Hit.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah, I don't see SSB Goku losing to that big bear dude no matter what the rules are.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It was just a joke as to how often the fights ended in a ring out guys.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yeah, I don't see SSB Goku losing to that big bear dude no matter what the rules are.

Yeah, even if he couldn't damage him he could just grab his leg and teleport him into deep space.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh yeah in the final manga volume there was something kind of weird that I was wondering about. Old Kai apparently fuckin' hates the Dragon Balls, something I completely forgot about the character from watching DBZ when I was younger.

It gets to the point where Goku of all people has to actually convince Old Kai that it's stupid not to just use them to help stop Kid Buu.

Later on in the volume this complaint comes up again from Old Kai, saying something about how Dragon Balls are "trifling with nature's laws" and that he doesn't approve of them.

So uh...what's going on here? Would GT have already been in the development stage by time this came out? Was Toriyama trying to plant the seeds for the Shadow Dragon stuff? Clearly this doesn't actually go anywhere in the manga itself, and this idea hasn't come up again in Battle of Gods, Ressurection 'F', or Super to my knowledge.

Thoughts?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Archenteron posted:

monaka's nipples has mastered athiesm kempo, he can defeat gods but is otherwise a pushover.

Also whoever made the joke that Hit was U6 Tao Pai Pai was... closer to the mark than we thought? Just with The World

Seems more like King Crimson.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

So uh...what's going on here? Would GT have already been in the development stage by time this came out? Was Toriyama trying to plant the seeds for the Shadow Dragon stuff? Clearly this doesn't actually go anywhere in the manga itself, and this idea hasn't come up again in Battle of Gods, Ressurection 'F', or Super to my knowledge.

Thoughts?

The Old Kai hates Dragonballs because he is the ruler of a cosmic system, and those balls gently caress with that system. People are supposed to die, that's how the universe works. Making people immortal and wishing people back to life interrupts the natural order of the universe. These guys could have let Goku go back and live to fight Buu any time they wanted to, they control life and death! After all they let Vegita back, once it became apparent that Buu was a threat to the entire cosmos and not just Earth.

He wasn't concerned about summoning an evil monster from overuse or whatever, he cares about higher things.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Raxivace posted:

Thoughts?

The updated ending of the manga kind of addresses this by changing the final narration from "Everything will be okay because of the Dragon Balls" to "Everything will be okay because of strong guys like Goku", which I think better fits the theme of the story about personal growth and self-reliance (at least, if you're named Goku). The idea that the Dragon Balls defy nature and that they shouldn't be exploited as they have been by the protagonists is an interesting plot point that I'd definitely like to see explored a bit more though. The Shadow Dragons arc in GT was as lame as the rest of the show but the idea behind it was a good one and I hope something like it comes up in Super.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It might also be that the Supreme Kais are meant to be the ones creating things, as the Gods of Creation (countering the God of Destruction, Beerus). The use of Dragon Balls is basically stealing their job, but without any sort of care to the balance between creation and destruction that needs to be kept (hence why Beerus needs to exist in spite of being responsible for probably countless kills and more destroyed planets than even Freeza could dream of), thus upsetting the balance of the universe.

Namekians would never wish for anything big (and likely, for anything in general, being mostly selfless beings who live quiet lives), but humanity has abused the hell out of them.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

It's mainly been Goku's gang and the Pilaf group. Before them, it was just King Dog the first that used them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Archenteron posted:

I saw translation saying he skips 0.1 seconds, not stops time for 0.1 seconds.
That makes him King Crimson

Also he's got a dick's head on his head, he's got King Crimson's 2 head deal going on

It's Yamcha, by the way, who is going to defeat Champa.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

With a powerful slap to the back. Little did we know he was just practicing his technique on Beerus :tinfoil:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just realised that the Dragonball fusion character game might have Beerus + Champa.

That's gotta be a super swole Catgod, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

Namekians would never wish for anything big (and likely, for anything in general, being mostly selfless beings who live quiet lives), but humanity has abused the hell out of them.

well namek has a system of separating them and judging a person to give them to seekers so maybe the nameks weren't always so selfless and quiet. they did go basically extinct before the elder repopulated and after kami got sent away superman style.

• Locked thread