Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If anyone wants to read some kick rear end Black Panther, the Kirby and Priest runs are on sale on comixology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Really good interview with TNC about his upcoming Black Panther run.

I wonder if Fox News is going to help him sell more books.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Black Panther isn't the first super hero "of African descent", he's the first one who's of African nationality... unsubscribed!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Black Panther isn't the first super hero "of African descent", he's the first one who's of African nationality... unsubscribed!

At least they didn't do the 'African-American' thing where that term is so ingrained that it's applied to any black person, regardless of ethnic or national background.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The actual interview is super rad though. I like everything Coates has to say.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Also he seems to suggest he's sticking around for after the first 12 issues!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Issue was pretty good, too, though I think Stelfreeze is doing a lot of work to keep things moving because this was a lot of set-up (some of which feels like it's building off of Hickman to the point where it's a little opaque to someone who didn't read most of that run and hasn't read Panther for a few years) and there's a lot of balls in the air. Like, there's a revolution to democratise/overthrow T'Challa, which might be a plot by a dictator, but probably has genuine grievances underlying it, there's a lady with mind powers who Panther thinks is behind it but might just be a figurehead, he's trying to revive his dying sister and angsting about being isolated, one of the elite bodyguards breaks her girlfriend out of death row because she was gonna be executed for stopping mass rape, and also they stole Wakandan-Iron-Woman armour?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good issue, a lot of set up and ground work has been laid. It's interesting because there are a lot of people, I imagine, for whom this will be the first comic they ever read. BP is a fairly obscure character to people who don't follow comics, and he's all the way in his own country in Africa completely separated from the MCU NY that most people know about, so he's got to nail a lot of exposition. It's too early to tell if the overall story would be good, but for his first comic I thought the dialogue was very good and naturalistic.

I was also interested to see how he would integrate a lot of his political themes in, and I thought they were fairly clearly present but well integrated into the body of the story so that they don't seem to be awkward morality plays. Since abuse of power by police has become such an notable issue in the last few years, I think it's interesting that he flipped it a bit, where the "police" are acting in favor of actual justice, but are still in the wrong because they are acting extra-judicially.

Great art though, some real stunners of panels, and I like the look of Afro-futurism that Stelfreeze is bringing to the book.

Couple of questions, is the mechanical Iron Man style mask new to the character? Also, remind me of how Shuri died.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Mask is new, Coates and Stelfreeze have talked about wanting to do more with the character's super-scientist African-Batman side. Plus it's very Kirby-influenced in look when it's summoned.

Only slightly clunky line was the Kanye quote, and I'm not even sure that's actually a problem and not just me noticing it because he called it out in that interview.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Absolutely loved the America Vs Canada splash pages in Old Man Logan.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/punisher-gets-locked-and-loaded-in-new-series/1100-155238/
C'mon Steve...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I hope it isn't any good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really wish they'd stop giving that dude work.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm down for more Dillon's Frank Face memes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I actually think Olivetti is about as bad.

He's on Venom right now right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Becky Cloonan is writing Punisher. After loving Southern Cross I think I can deal with Dillon to give it a chance.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

zoux posted:

Couple of questions, is the mechanical Iron Man style mask new to the character? Also, remind me of how Shuri died.

Shuri was killed off panel by Proxima Midnight in one of the Time Runs Out issues of New Avengers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Is the Punisher black now?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Mr Hootington posted:

Goddamn, I didn't know blind people could use SA.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Superstring posted:

I'm sorry I see a Shemar Moore looking Punisher.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Contest of Champions is wacky in the best way. Man between that New Avengers and Ultimates I think Ewing is having the greatest time ever writing for Marvel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This is magical. How have I never seen this before?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The franka-franka-franka is my favorite part.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Superstring posted:

While I realize this was a joke, they totally can! I believe there was an A/T thread (or maybe just a thread diversion) awhile back with a blind person who posts/ed here. There's machines that hook up to your computer and output Braille for blind people to read. We even played with various formats to see what it could do. Spoiler text, for instance, just showed up as regular text to him.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, I saw that thread too, their descriptions of what they use and how they perceive it all were fascinating. Quite an eye-opener.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, I saw that thread too, their descriptions of what they use and how they perceive it all were fascinating. Quite an eye-opener.

Boo!

In actual comics talk. It happens every issue, but Vision #6 :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Even that first page. :stare:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

While I realize this was a joke, they totally can! I believe there was an A/T thread (or maybe just a thread diversion) awhile back with a blind person who posts/ed here. There's machines that hook up to your computer and output Braille for blind people to read. We even played with various formats to see what it could do. Spoiler text, for instance, just showed up as regular text to him.

Yeah but BSS probably doesn't have a lot of blind goons. Hopefully more than TFR and AI, but about the same as like project.log or Coupons.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Squizzle posted:

Yeah but BSS probably doesn't have a lot of blind goons. Hopefully more than TFR and AI, but about the same as like project.log or Coupons.

I'm pretty sure TFR only has one. I've bought some guns from him. Great guy.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I wonder if audiobooks for comics exist. Like how on Daredevil there's that audio mode for blind people that describes the scenes of the show audibly. I'd imagine comics are niche enough that there's probably way too little demand for that, but I hadn't really thought about how blind people could read comics and I'm just realizing the answer is probably "they can't".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

I wonder if audiobooks for comics exist. Like how on Daredevil there's that audio mode for blind people that describes the scenes of the show audibly. I'd imagine comics are niche enough that there's probably way too little demand for that, but I hadn't really thought about how blind people could read comics and I'm just realizing the answer is probably "they can't".

I would like to volunteer my time to create these.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god. "Woof!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

I believe they did this for the first issue of Waid's Daredevil, but yeah, it's a medium that by it's nature doesn't really work for the blind, sadly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DrProsek posted:

I wonder if audiobooks for comics exist. Like how on Daredevil there's that audio mode for blind people that describes the scenes of the show audibly.
Somehow this got turned on for an episode in the middle of the first season and I thought it was just a really really weird stylistic choice.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Man. The Vision, Black Panther, Black Widow, New Avengers, and Deadpool this week. All of these comic teams at Marvel are loving killing it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Tales from the Unlimited: Invincible Iron Man is pretty fun despite starting with some strong Bendis Speak, enjoyed Doctor Strange. Also, you guys, there's this thing called Nextwave and it's pretty rad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Also, you guys, there's this thing called Nextwave and it's pretty rad.

The devil you say.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Holy poo poo, Vision. :ohdear: Why can't it be next month already?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Parasol Prophet posted:

Holy poo poo, Vision. :ohdear: Why can't it be next month already?

Marvel should've backed a truck of money up to his house. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mr Hootington posted:

Well, not currently, but...

• Locked thread