Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

By the way, is there something I'm not getting about the (end of SoD spoilers)the Belhifet fight? As far as I can tell, I've been thorough when searching for loot and equipment and yet I simply don't seem to have weapons capable of hurting him. I tried to cheese him by casting Haste over the Shining Lady and letting her do the dirty work while I clean up the adds, but he seems to like to target my own characters. Only strategy that seems to work is Lower Resistances + a barrage of spells, but every time he realizes he's targeted by a caster he uses that weird insta-invisibility spell he has.

Nevermind, I managed. Fun expansion! I have some quibbles, but overall it was great fun and brought back some memories.

I was also reminded that I'm pretty poo poo at these games, though thankfully not as much as when I was a dumb teen who'd dump Charisma on his NWN1 main, who just happened to be a Paladin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Saw April 14th as the date for the next update (although I can't find that post again on the Beamdog forums). I really hope that the BG2EE UI is updated because right now it's using the awful beta version, which is so much worse than the SoD UI it's hard to believe the same people worked on both.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Nevermind, I managed. Fun expansion! I have some quibbles, but overall it was great fun and brought back some memories.

I was also reminded that I'm pretty poo poo at these games, though thankfully not as much as when I was a dumb teen who'd dump Charisma on his NWN1 main, who just happened to be a Paladin.
It's not great that the game springs that "need +3 weapons to hit" thing on you in the final battle.
As soon as I realized that the game was going to end up sending Charname on a trip to hell to fight some devils, I made sure to stock up on highly enchanted stuff, but that's because I know these games well enough to remember that you need that for this kind of enemies.
It seemed like you could easily end up having to rely on magic; I feel like the game should at least drop some generic +3 weapons, most stuff you find is +2 iirc.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmmm, I went to Dragonspear and saved Skie from those mercs, but now she won't talk to me and I can't progress the quest it seems. Annoying.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Wizard Styles posted:

It's not great that the game springs that "need +3 weapons to hit" thing on you in the final battle.
As soon as I realized that the game was going to end up sending Charname on a trip to hell to fight some devils, I made sure to stock up on highly enchanted stuff, but that's because I know these games well enough to remember that you need that for this kind of enemies.
It seemed like you could easily end up having to rely on magic; I feel like the game should at least drop some generic +3 weapons, most stuff you find is +2 iirc.

You get at least one from from the riddle guy just before.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Pwnstar posted:

You get at least one from from the riddle guy just before.
There's a riddle guy?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Wizard Styles posted:

There's a riddle guy?

When you get the the big door before the elevator, the demon who stops/stalls you offers to bet a magic item against the soul of you or one of your party members in a riddle contest.

According to the cheevos there are 3 riddle moments, I only found 2, one was a a rock.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 6, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Pwnstar posted:

When you get the the big door before the elevator, the demon who stops/stalls you offers to bet a magic item against the soul of you or one of your party members in a riddle contest.
Oh, that guy. He got caught in a misaimed Cloudkill in my game, so I never got to see any riddle contest.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Gotta say, realizing the bridge questline had bugged out, walking up to the Crusader camp, lobbing a Cloudkill at the entrance followed by a second one, and fighting like 50 enemies, half of which died before getting near the party and the other half engaged in a protracted pitched-battle was very cathartic. Also the first time I've actually bothered with Cloudkill in an IE game for as long as I remember, usually most fights end in a couple rounds and then I want to quicksave but ugh that pesky Cloudkill/Stinking Cloud/Web/Entangle/whatever is still there and preventing me from saving. So I never use them. But this time the fight was big enough to justify it!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lmao if you do that bullshit chess battle without Cloudkill.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Sure I do. It may involve a lot of Wands of Fire/Oils of Fiery Burning though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, my Charname was an Invoker and I had Dynaheir in the party, so I was using a lot of Cloudkills throughout the game. When all you have is a hammer, pretty much.

Also, if you don't earn the Proud of Yourself cheevo at the bridge you don't know how to live right.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Arivia posted:

No, Sword Coast Legends already came by and crashed and burned. It was badly designed, poorly balanced, and just overall terrible. In other words, it was the perfect 5e game.

Is it worse than NWN II?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Washout posted:

Is it worse than NWN II?

Considering NWN2 is good, yes.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Mordaedil posted:

Every time I try to play ToEE, I think it's the interface that kills it for me. Or something like it. I have a hard time sitting down with it for extended periods of time despite loving certain things about it.

The level cap is way too low, and it's far too easy to hit it quickly. I'm the last one that would say this normally but it was not enough of a computer game and stuck to the source too closely.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So, are you supposed to be able to interact with the dying Myconid in the underground river map? If so it seems I have bigger issues with my game than Skie not wanting to chat apparently...

E: that's weird, going by it a third time finally triggered a talk. Oh well, I won't complain.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Insurrectionist posted:

So, are you supposed to be able to interact with the dying Myconid in the underground river map? If so it seems I have bigger issues with my game than Skie not wanting to chat apparently...
It should initiate dialogue as soon as a character comes near it. I think Skie should also talk to you on her own after the fight with the mercs.
So, yeah, if those two dialogues not firing are related I guess your game might be broken.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

It should initiate dialogue as soon as a character comes near it. I think Skie should also talk to you on her own after the fight with the mercs.
So, yeah, if those two dialogues not firing are related I guess your game might be broken.

As I noted that one did fire after a bit, I'd actually decided to just ignore it and went into the ruined tower, then went back out and it popped. I spent a long time reloading, waiting and walking around Skie though and no dice. The journal entry for her disappearance completely wipes too, it's fine before I trigger the event then blank afterwards, presumably it's supposed to get filled when you talk again but I'd figure the removal and refill would happen simultaneously - apparently not.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Jesus, I feel stupid. Made a new toon (Archer - never had one as the protagonist before) and cheekily made myself an additional character using the 'create party' feature. The second is a Mage/Thief. I thought making a second character would kill the challenge initially from my experience with other games in the series. But the first SOD dungeon is surprisingly hard, mainly because I have no tank. I'm not sure I'd be able to do it with just the archer. Am I missing something?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
You usually have a full party of 6 provided to you I believe (I sure did, but I started SoD by killing Sarevok on my BG:EE savefile and being ported over automatically so YMMV) when you start a regular game with just the PC. The create party is presumably meant to just be an easier way of starting the game with ONLY custom companions, like you used to do by starting a Multiplayer game and copying over the save to Singleplayer, and probably assumes you don't need any NPC help. At least, that's the only reasonable explanation I can think of, I haven't actually tried it.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
If you start the xpac by killing Sarevok, your entire party gets ported to the beginning dungeon of SOD.

If you create a single character, the game autofills your party with BG1 NPCs depending on your alignment (Minsc Dyna Jaheira Khalid Safana for good and neutrals, Edwin Viconia Dorn(lol) Baeloth and Safana for evil). This is presumably also the case if you import a BG1 save, but it may check your reputation instead of your alignment, idr.

If you select the create party option, you get no NPCs because the game assumes you are making a full party of 6.

Insurrectionist posted:

create party is presumably meant to just be an easier way of starting the game with ONLY custom companions, like you used to do by starting a Multiplayer game and copying over the save to Singleplayer.

^^The devs have stated that this is the purpose of create party precisely.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 6, 2016

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you make more than one character you get no NPCs to help otherwise you get a full party.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Oh, ball sacks. That explains it then. I quite fancy romping through a BG game with a tailored party but don't really want to miss out on all the NPC interaction. Will export and start again.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

I know this isn't really representative or advisable in normal terms, but a friend of mine who works at Sony in UK decided to buy a copy now immediately because of this controversy instead of waiting until a sale.

Wish we could do something about review bombing, but this is the year a goat is being elected president of the mightiest nation, so...

I heard it was getting really bad reviews and was thinking I would wait for a sale, then checked some reviews out when I got home today on GOG and am buying it now as we speak. gently caress these idiots,

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

If you can get mods working on BG1 EE now does that mean I can install no xp cap and do FMT the way it was meant to be played?

How insane do unlimited FMTs get in Throne of Bhaal? Do they reach level 50? What kind of poo poo can they do? All I know is that they always struck me as a horrendous idea for playing with a full party since they'd be poo poo at all three roles with their incredible XP requirements.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
FMTs are pretty rough with a full party, yes. They can do lots of stuff but they can still only do one thing at a time, and it takes them a long time to bloom if they have to share xp with more than one or two other people. Mage/thieves are better for Mislead backstab shenanigans, Fighter/mages are better for invincible stoneskin frontlining. If you solo or only do one other party member (another multiclass like Aerie maybe), then the best trick I know for F/M/Ts is to basically be your own party with Simulacrum and the helm of Vhailor, all using time stop and Carsomyr and whatever overpowered nonsense you can think up. All in all it's probably easier to split your classes among multiple characters unless you've totally mastered the spell system. Yes uncapped FMTs get bananas in Throne of Bhaal, but that's a lot of game to get through first, and it's not like Throne of Bhaal is the hardest part of the series.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Beamdog will be 'improving' the transgender NPC's writing and removing Minsc's easter egg line.

The whiners win.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Karmalaa70 posted:

Beamdog will be 'improving' the transgender NPC's writing and removing Minsc's easter egg line.

The whiners win.

Even if I disagree with it, I can understand removing the Minsc line just to get things to blow over. But I'm not exactly sure what they're supposed to rewrite or how.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Woolie Wool posted:

How insane do unlimited FMTs get in Throne of Bhaal? Do they reach level 50? What kind of poo poo can they do? All I know is that they always struck me as a horrendous idea for playing with a full party since they'd be poo poo at all three roles with their incredible XP requirements.

This was after solo Ironman BG/ToTSC/BG2/ToB:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Karmalaa70 posted:

The whiners win.

It doesn't matter how abhorrent your views are as long as you whine loud enough!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Just went ahead and created an IWD party of 6 with an FMT in it, gonna see how that goes.

On that note:

Yeah, okay.

Karmalaa70 posted:

The whiners win.
Ugh, why? The damage is done already, no need to let those dipshits have their victory on top of it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Improving the NPC is code for expanding her into a follower

:getin:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

Ugh, why? The damage is done already, no need to let those dipshits have their victory on top of it.

Yeah, I'm honestly pretty disappointed in this. Amber Scott's writing was fine, the joke is the same as a million other things in the series. This is just sad.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wizard Styles posted:

Just went ahead and created an IWD party of 6 with an FMT in it, gonna see how that goes.

Poorly.

To use my BG character as an example, with XP divided between six characters she'd not be sitting on 21 million XP - being a level 28 mage with multiple level 9 slots, letting her do things like cast Time Stop then hitting everyone with Assassination then Time Stopping again and again and again until everything is dead - she'd be sitting on 7 million XP and would only just get her first level 7 spell at the end of the game.

Multiclasses are better in small parties. Triple classes are only at all passable in small parties and preferably solo.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Karmalaa70 posted:

The whiners win.

Minsc would never stand for this cowardice, Beamdog! Face the glare of his hamster and change your evil ways!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, I'm not expecting it to go well, but otoh Fighter/Mages are so good in IWD that it should work out somehow.
All he'll really need to be good is level 7 in Fighter and Mage anyway, the rest is just a bonus. I have no idea when he'll get there in IWD, though.

Pwnstar posted:

Improving the NPC is code for expanding her into a follower

:getin:
That would be amazing.

Arivia posted:

Yeah, I'm honestly pretty disappointed in this. Amber Scott's writing was fine, the joke is the same as a million other things in the series. This is just sad.
Putting Minsc's line in there might have been poor business sense, but it seems like it's just too late to do anything about that now.

Changing Mizhena is just weak, though. All those people campaigning may ramble on about how she's practically jumping at the player to preach about how great being trans is or whatever the gently caress they warp that one line of dialogue into, but it's really just one line of dialogue that you get by asking her about it. She introduces herself as a cleric of Tempus, not as a trans woman. Her being trans is a thing that comes up when you ask about it, and her faith continues to be the far more defining character trait in all the quests she's involved in. So that campaign against her dialogue is pretty clearly one against including a trans character at all, and gently caress capitulating to that.

e: You know what, gently caress it. If someone wants to write Mizhena as a companion, I'll do the coding.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I will download that mod. How high is her WIS?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
removing the minsc line because a bunch of so called anti-censorship fucknuts complained about it is a genius move.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I just bought SoD at full price as a counter protest. I'm also hoping someone will post a way to undo the undo Beamdog is doing to placate the butthurt whiners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hey man just give Beamdog the benefit of the doubt. We haven't seen the "improvements" for all we know it could just be more dialogue about the character's backstory or even a mini quest involving them.