Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

MustardFacial posted:

Driving a manual in a big city or in rush hour stop and go traffic is so awful

MustardFacial posted:

I've never actually done it with a sensible car.

Manual wins / fatality. Call bernie tell them to have the manditory 5 speed H pattern ready by 2018.

MustardFacial posted:

Go to the junkyard and hack a working automatic out of another car and replace your broken one. Do not open that box of whispers and shadows.

Like i said, it treats amazing machines like dixie cups. :) (with a side of dumpster diving)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This conversation is very American. I believe trends are shifting with new cars but in the UK manual has always been the norm and anyone wishing to drive an automatic has had the traditional sneering "automatic gearboxes are far more expensive to replace you know" thrown at them. Mother, this car is a £400* G reg Ford Mondeo I am not planning on changing the gearbox.

*in 2002, it died in 2010 and it was the big end, not the gearbox which was still working fine.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

This conversation is very American. I believe trends are shifting with new cars but in the UK manual has always been the norm and anyone wishing to drive an automatic has had the traditional sneering "automatic gearboxes are far more expensive to replace you know" thrown at them. Mother, this car is a £400* G reg Ford Mondeo I am not planning on changing the gearbox.

*in 2002, it died in 2010 and it was the big end, not the gearbox which was still working fine.

English please.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the number of americans who buy a car and take into consideration the cost to replace the transmission is perilously close to zero

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Has anyone brought up that Nico Rosberg was named in the Panama Papers thing?

This is the source: http://www.focus.de/sport/formel1/panama-papers-formel-1-star-nico-rosberg-verwickelt_id_5406688.html

edit: jarno trulli is listed too

keevo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 6, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

keevo posted:

Has anyone brought up that Rosberg was named in the Panama Papers thing?

This is the source: http://www.focus.de/sport/formel1/panama-papers-formel-1-star-nico-rosberg-verwickelt_id_5406688.html

nico, you live in a tax haven...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah it seems pretty daft that the man born in a loving tax haven needs more assistance in not paying tax.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

This conversation is very American.

How dare you.

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah it seems pretty daft that the man born in a loving tax haven needs more assistance in not paying tax.

Apparently, it's only a tax haven if your income comes from Monaco. Income outside of Monaco is taxed, but at a drastically lower rate than any other EU country worth living in.
Nvm, this is wrong. residents don't pay income tax.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 7, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don't think we care about foreigners not paying tax but are OUTRAGED when people in our own countries do it. Turns out the guy who was in charge of the rich people avoiding tax investigation was part of it, as was our prime minister's father, and in a staggering twist of irony the tax man rents it's headquarters from people up to their necks in it. Britney is rather low on our newspapers agenda.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Turns out the guy who was in charge of the rich people avoiding tax investigation was part of it

who? gerard ryle most certainly was not

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

be nice wicka posted:

who? gerard ryle most certainly was not

Wrong country. I forget the name of the chap but there are 6 members of the house of lords who have been busted and he's one of them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Would just like to point out that AMERICA in its second ever race finished ahead of EVERY BRITISH TEAM. Except for the fake British teams owned by Germans. America is amazing, I pity the United Kingdoms that are not United Stateses.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Wrong country. I forget the name of the chap but there are 6 members of the house of lords who have been busted and he's one of them.

i'm not sure what they had to do with it. the documents were leaked to a german newspaper who then shared them with the international consortium of investigative journalists.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

be nice wicka posted:

i'm not sure what they had to do with it. the documents were leaked to a german newspaper who then shared them with the international consortium of investigative journalists.

No no you misunderstand, Britain is involved with a big anti tax haven summit which is happening in June and a report on off shore tax avoidance was commissioned by the house of lords to be presented in may and the guy in charge of this report/investigation is up to his neck in it. I cannot even begin to describe what the house of lords is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lords

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Get this crap outta here.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A question was asked :(

Formula 1 news: Unless Bernie and Todt stop cocking about with quali and give them test details and dates Pirrelli may pull out

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirelli-warns-2017-testing-plans-must-be-finalised-this-month-685124/

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

:britain:

My problem with automatics is that I habitually ride the clutch when I'm sat in traffic, driving an automatic leaves me feeling bad for blinding the poor sod behind me with my brake lights because I'm too lazy to take it out of 'drive' and put it into 'park' to stop the inevitable crawl forward if I'm not also sitting on the brakes.

I also suffer from 'phantom clutch pedal' when driving automatics. My left foot just doesn't know what the gently caress to do with itself.

Automatics are just weird.

In F1 news!...... erm.. Haas are doing rather well aren't they?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Oh look, its the 2020 F1 car after we adopt canopies and 20 inch wheels

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/modified/lamborghini-huracan-f1-car

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Oh look, its the 2020 F1 car after we adopt canopies and 20 inch wheels

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/modified/lamborghini-huracan-f1-car

That's a loving cool concept. Just not a cool f1 concept.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah, but it's a Lamborghini so also not a great GT3 concept.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Norns posted:

That's a loving cool concept. Just not a cool f1 concept.

I'm pretty sure its about a foot too wide to work on any road, visibility concerns aside.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm pretty sure its about a foot too wide to work on any road, visibility concerns aside.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out how what the track is from the pics because it seems like they want to mount the wheels outside of the main width of the body which 1) will look weird and 2) surely make it handle weird because wide track does not magically equal better handling

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Autosport released a table showing how much money every team got from last year's results. Kind of curious what Sauber's budget is like if they can't survive with this prize money and their pay drivers.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Williams's accountant must be shaking because they are definitely getting beat by Haas this season and their payout is gonna drop even further

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Shaking with fear at the coming of the righteous American juggernaut.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

keevo posted:

Has anyone brought up that Nico Rosberg was named in the Panama Papers thing?

edit: jarno trulli is listed too

Given that he's already actively and openly practicing tax avoidance by residing in Monaco, surely this would be a legitimate extension of this behaviour? Even if the sum of his behaviour is probably considered somewhat illegitimate by Germany or Finland or wherever the gently caress he's from.

Unless he's using Mossack Fonseca to fund ISIS

I'll let Sky F1 draw that conclusion.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
That kinda reminds me of those bonkers time attack cars.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
French citizens btw have to pay French taxes in Monaco;no tax dodging for them!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Reminder that the vote between new bad quali and old bad quali with some modifications is happening today.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

Given that he's already actively and openly practicing tax avoidance by residing in Monaco, surely this would be a legitimate extension of this behaviour? Even if the sum of his behaviour is probably considered somewhat illegitimate by Germany or Finland or wherever the gently caress he's from.

Unless he's using Mossack Fonseca to fund ISIS

I'll let Sky F1 draw that conclusion.

idk why either of those countries would care considering he's literally never lived in finland and only spent parts of his childhood in germany. the guy is basically monegasque.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
He's a German national, and for comedy value also a Finland national. But like you say, neither country would care. Only a few countries tax an individual's worldwide income on the basis of nationality - the USA definitely does, and I think Mexico does too (sorry Sergio). Almost every other country taxes on a residence basis.

This is one reason why rich Europeans often gently caress off to Monaco or Dubai, but rich Americans rarely do.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123649/formula-1-team-payments-for-2016-revealed

LMFAO at the long standing 70m bonus for Ferrari, literally the villains of F1.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-teams-demand-return-to-2015-qualifying-format-685351

All the teams have sent a letter to Bernie demanding the 2015 system back.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Whitey Ford posted:

He's Tax Havenese.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

runoverbobby posted:

He's a German national, and for comedy value also a Finland national. But like you say, neither country would care. Only a few countries tax an individual's worldwide income on the basis of nationality - the USA definitely does, and I think Mexico does too (sorry Sergio). Almost every other country taxes on a residence basis.

This is one reason why rich Europeans often gently caress off to Monaco or Dubai, but rich Americans rarely do.

I believe it's literally the USA, North Korea and Eritrea.

Good company to be keeping guys.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

njsykora posted:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-teams-demand-return-to-2015-qualifying-format-685351

All the teams have sent a letter to Bernie demanding the 2015 system back.

Oh this is wonderful :allears: It's a not only but also as well, they are refusing to vote on the aggregate quali idea, or the modified new quali idea, so unless Bernie and Todt cave it will be elimination qualifying again in china. It's the sport which keeps on giving, it really is.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

be nice wicka posted:

idk why either of those countries would care considering he's literally never lived in finland and only spent parts of his childhood in germany. the guy is basically monegasque.

He holds dual nationality to both countries.

Evidently only third world countries enforce this.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
lol this is getting better and better, Kimi of all people has sobered up, noticed what is going on and put several coherent sentences together which pretty much perfectly sum everything up. For those new to the sport, Kimi has never had an opinion on F1 politics in his life and usually mutters gibberish until the question goes away.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/229185/1/raikkonen-f1-politics-and-bullshit-is-crazy.html

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

learnincurve posted:

Oh this is wonderful :allears: It's a not only but also as well, they are refusing to vote on the aggregate quali idea, or the modified new quali idea, so unless Bernie and Todt cave it will be elimination qualifying again in china. It's the sport which keeps on giving, it really is.

To be fair this is the only way we get things back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

1500quidporsche posted:

To be fair this is the only way we get things back to normal.

Honestly I feel like Bernie lives (literally) for power plays like this.

• Locked thread