Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
God I miss 90s DC

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Looks like Wonder Woman Earth One is delayed a week on Comixology :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Looks like Wonder Woman Earth One is delayed a week on Comixology :mad:

Yet another failing of the digit format!

I'll make sure to spoil it for you as I read my print copy.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Without spoiling too much, I think it was really bold of Grant to have all the preview images we've seen of the book be the only appearances of Diana in the whole book, and after she dies the whole book becomes about Grail becoming the new Wonder Woman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yet another failing of the digit format!

Truly.
I might actually go to my local and get the horrifically priced imported hardcover tomorrow rather than wait.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Anyone else get the Ostrander Suicide Squad Vol 3 today and think they changed the paper type/quality pretty severely from Vols 1 and 2?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Truly.
I might actually go to my local and get the horrifically priced imported hardcover tomorrow rather than wait.

I could take pictures of each page with my crappy camera phone.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

There are better forms of :filez: out there, surely.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The coming of Superman is completely batshit insane. Its amazing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Harley Quinn/Suicide Squad April Fools Special has about four pages that are secretly Suicide Squad Rebirth and should make people happy.
The rest is pretty cute.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Harley Quinn/Suicide Squad April Fools Special has about four pages that are secretly Suicide Squad Rebirth and should make people happy.
The rest is pretty cute.

I really don't want to buy a Harley Quinn comic but I do like Suicide Squad. Is the stuff a reboot of sorts or what happens?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The comic is mainly a cute little thing about Harley becoming a therapist for villains in an adorable art style (Jim Lee has less than half of the pages,) then the justice league bust it up and capture her.
Then...
It turns out FAT WALLER was keeping Quinn in some brainwashing room to turn her onto some superhero killing mission she's put together.
No explanation if Waller is a Convergence crossover thing Superman style, or what.

It's by Rob Williams who's taking Squad.

e: Bloodlines is truly hip.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 6, 2016

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Bloodlines is truly hip.

It reads so 2016, but feels so 1996.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's a parody. It's got to be a parody.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That art reminds me way too much of all those indie comics in the '90s who seemed to be half-copying J. Scott Campbell, right down to the too-long torso on her.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

It's a parody. It's got to be a parody.

That's what I feel about The coming of Superman

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

That's what I feel about The coming of Superman

I kind of wish some podcast would do a dramatic reading of Adam's stuff.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I read the first two issues of coming of the supermen and it just seemed terrible to me.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

If it's anything like Batman Odyssey, I'm assuming Coming of the Supermen only makes sense to Neal Adams.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Coming of the Supermen is a massive disappointment for me in comparison to Odyssey just because every issue doesn't start with sexy naked Clark Kent trying to seduce me by recapping.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I read the first two issues of coming of the supermen and it just seemed terrible to me.

Sure, but it's called 'kitch' :)

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Dunbar posted:

Anyone else get the Ostrander Suicide Squad Vol 3 today and think they changed the paper type/quality pretty severely from Vols 1 and 2?

What's it like? I got the earlier version of vol 1 which has the matte paper (which I prefer) and was a bit annoyed when vol 2 had the shiny paper.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It doesn't really feel like either Vol 1 or 2 to me. It's a lot thicker and rougher, almost like newsprint. If you have any of the New Teen Titans volumes, it sort of feels like that.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Holy poo poo, DC gave Gerard Way his own imprint at DC called "Young Animal"

The first 4 books announced for it thus far are:

quote:

The first book is 'Doom Patrol,'" Way said. It'll be written by Way, and illustrated by Nick Derington. "It's really weird," Way said. It'll pay tribute not just to Grant Morrison's famed run on the series, but the history of Doom Patrol.

Also coming from Young Animal: "Shade, The Changing Girl" from writer Cecil Castellucci and artist Marley Zarcone. Cover by Becky Cloonan. "It's another alien, a woman alien, who's hiding in the body of a teenage girl that used to be a bully," Way said. "She has the Madness Vest. The Madness is kind of taking over."

Another Young Animal book: "Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye." Written by Way and Jon Rivera with art by Michael Avon Oeming. Way said that the comic will deliver on its promise of indeed explaining why Cave Carson -- a sci-fi spelunker introduced by DC back in 1960 -- has a cybernetic eye.

Rounding out the lineup: "Mother Panic," written by Jody Houser, with art by Tommy Lee Edwards and John Paul Leon (covers by Edwards). "This one is set in Gotham," Way said. It'll focus on a new character. Lee pointed out that "Mother Panic" is a mature readers book.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/eccc-dc-entertainment-all-access

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

DC is getting nuts.

Gerard Way's getting his own Vertigo-lite imprint called Young Animal.

quote:

Gerard Way joined the panel, and announced that he has his own imprint at DC, called, "DC's Young Animal." "DC is letting me have an imprint called Young Animal. The first book is 'Doom Patrol,'" Way said. It'll be written by Way, and illustrated by Nick Derington. "It's really weird," Way said. It'll pay tribute not just to Grant Morrison's famed run on the series, but the history of Doom Patrol.

Also coming from Young Animal: "Shade, The Changing Girl" from writer Cecil Castellucci and artist Marley Zarcone. Cover by Becky Cloonan. "It's another alien, a woman alien, who's hiding in the body of a teenage girl that used to be a bully," Way said. "She has the Madness Vest. The Madness is kind of taking over."

Another Young Animal book: "Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye." Written by Way and Jon Rivera with art by Michael Avon Oeming. Way said that the comic will deliver on its promise of indeed explaining why Cave Carson -- a sci-fi spelunker introduced by DC back in 1960 -- has a cybernetic eye.

Rounding out the lineup: "Mother Panic," written by Jody Houser, with art by Tommy Lee Edwards and John Paul Leon (covers by Edwards). "This one is set in Gotham," Way said. It'll focus on a new character. Lee pointed out that "Mother Panic" is a mature readers book.

They're also doing a Challenge-style Kamandi book with teams made at random

quote:

Another announcement! In the spirit of 1985-1986's "DC Challenge," a 12-issue series where 12 teams of creators told one story, round-robin style, DiDio announced the "Kamandi Challenge," where 12 writers and 12 artists were "carefully selected" and then paired at "random" to tell a story starring Jack Kirby's Kamandi, The Last Boy On Earth.

Here are the teams: Dan Abnett & Dale Eaglesham, Peter J. Tomasi & Neal Adams, Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti, James Tynion IV & Carlos D'Anda, Bill Willingham & Ivan Reis, Steve Orlando & Philip Tan, Marguerite Bennett & Dan Jurgens, Keith Giffen & Steve Rude, Tom King & Kevin Eastman, Greg Pak & Joe Prado, Rob Williams & Walter Simonson, Gail Simone & Ryan Sook and Len Wein & José Luis García-López. (Yes, that's 13 teams.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yes, Amanda and Jimmy ended up together totally at 'random', I'm sure.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So if he's not there saving Vertigo, what about Vertigo? :ohdear:

e: Kevin Eastman (?!) Walter Simonson and José Luis García-López on Kamandi. Whoa.

Semper Fudge posted:

Unfollow is really good, read that?

Way ahead of you!

Vertigo made great comics this year, but nobody cared, so Way rumored to be coming on to help that out sounded okay.
Whatever it is, if we couldn't have the DCYou thing, a spot still open for goofball ideas while the mainline is doing 'legacy' is all good!
ee: In fact everything they're doing outside of Rebirth is totally weirdo. It's heartening.

I hope they re-issue the original Challenge.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 8, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Unfollow is really good, read that?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

First Look at Covers:

Getting kind of excited here guys.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Semper Fudge posted:

Holy poo poo, DC gave Gerard Way his own imprint at DC called "Young Animal"

The first 4 books announced for it thus far are:

each book looks and sounds awesome. man DC needs an unlimited service.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Semper Fudge posted:

First Look at Covers:

Getting kind of excited here guys.

FLEX MENTALLO.

Count me even more in than I was before.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Those Way imprint books look awesome. Might need to try them all at least once.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A little more news. Mark 'Prez' Russell's Flintstones has Steve Pugh announced as the artist.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/mark-russells-the-flintstones-comic-series-adds-steve-pugh-as-artist
Here's a Pugh cover

and more by Dustin Nguyen, Ivan Reis and Walt Simonson

I remember being pretty unimpressed with Pugh on N52 Animal Man, but that's beautiful.

e: Speaking of Prez, Ben Caldwell is on A-Force interiors now and it looks great.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/a-force-5-marvel-comics-2016

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 8, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Really like the touch with the bird pecking it in classic style.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I am super down for every one of those Young Animal books

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm iffy on Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye. There's too little revealed yet to know if the tone is on point, or kinda phony and corporate. I mean, yeah, that's true of all of them at this point, but that one is clearly going to live or die on tone.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm iffy on Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye. There's too little revealed yet to know if the tone is on point, or kinda phony and corporate. I mean, yeah, that's true of all of them at this point, but that one is clearly going to live or die on tone.

I was at the announcement at ECC and the way Gerard described the flimsy premise was hilarious. Basically he read about a character in some who's who book and came across a character whose only characteristic was that he had a cybernetic eye and he wants the book to explore why this guy has a cybernetic eye.

From the way all the books sounded Way was just coming up with ideas but nothing absolute solid had been done yet. Right now it's just brainstorming.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Speaking of Prez, Ben Caldwell is on A-Force interiors now and it looks great.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/a-force-5-marvel-comics-2016

Looks great, but Dazzler lookin' a LOT like President Ross there.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Those sound interesting, I'm intrigued. A little confused about why it needs to be a new imprint, but ok.

ElNarez posted:

They're also doing a Challenge-style Kamandi book with teams made at random

God drat, Dan Didio, what is with you and Kamandi? He seems to really want to make Kamandi a thing and hasn't managed to yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Those sound interesting, I'm intrigued. A little confused about why it needs to be a new imprint, but ok.

God drat, Dan Didio, what is with you and Kamandi? He seems to really want to make Kamandi a thing and hasn't managed to yet.

I think everybody who's ever seen that map of Kamandi's world has wanted to try to make Kamandi a thing if only so they can write a story set in the Kangarat Murder Society.