Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Will check the other threads. Maybe can get a small ride together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Ola posted:

When I've toyed with the idea of touring between LA and San Francisco, I've thought about visiting the desert and Yosemite one way, then PCH the other.

Yeah, this is a good choice. There's a lot of straight roads out behind the Sierra Nevada on (highway 395), but the vistas are incredible and the roads through the mountains are perfect. The road through Tioga pass and Yosemite usually doesn't open until mid-May though, so the timing may not be quite right just yet.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 7, 2016

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

When I've toyed with the idea of touring between LA and San Francisco, I've thought about visiting the desert and Yosemite one way, then PCH the other.

This would be a great time. You should do it. I can help with logistics. :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

This would be a great time. You should do it. I can help with logistics. :)

Sooner or later I will take you up on that!

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Ola posted:

This is what I did last year and it owned. I rented a Versys from Dubbelju in SF, went to Yosemite, crossed the mountains and went down 395, stop in DV, go into LA via Angeles Crest and hang out a couple days, then up the PCH pretty much the whole way, with small detours inland on the 33 near Ojai (on advice of a local, very worth it), and stopping in SLO. I had I think 10 days, which is honestly at least half the time you should have to do that much, but I loved it anyway. Highly recommend that general plan.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Infinotize posted:

I rented a Versys from Dubbelju in SF

$109/day...hmmm! That's not too bad. They say they add $39 for cleaning and 8.5% sales tax and then nothing more mandatory...was there anything non-mandatory you added? Like better insurance?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
People wash motorcycles???

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

$109/day...hmmm! That's not too bad. They say they add $39 for cleaning and 8.5% sales tax and then nothing more mandatory...was there anything non-mandatory you added? Like better insurance?

If you can afford to drop some cash up front, and plan on staying for any significant length of time, I highly recommend using Z3n's Bike Purchasing for America Touring Service.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Ola posted:

I didn't add anything and that's all I got charged. They give you mandatory liability insurance included in that price. If you want to buy more insurance they have rates posted on the bottom of each bike page, but I didn't bother. Also, I spent my last day riding all over SF and mismanaged my last fill up a bit, when I rolled in the fuel gauge had just showing 5/6 bars (I think? whatever -1 bar is) and they didn't ding me for it. And for 10 days told me don't bother worrying about the chain or anything. Aaaand also I picked up a screw in LA, and while I got a new tire out of pocket I called them first to check what kind of tire I should use and they went and looked up an el-cheapo shop that had a tire in stock for me. Aaand lastly they mail you a paper map with route suggestions and will give you all kinds of advice. Good shop, slightly awkward location to walk to if you're carrying a giant bag of gear and are too cheap to get a flywheel or whatever.

Z3n is right about longer trips though, if you figure the overhead costs of purchase/sale it probably doesn't take long to favor buying and selling for a long trip; for 2 weeks+ it's a no brainer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
If you buy a Ninja 250, you might even make a profit!

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Sold a thing, bought a new other thing.

'01 VFR800, picked it up in Dallas and rode it back to Austin today. P.O. threw a bunch of money at it at one point (Penske rear shock, racetech springs, sargent seat, new windscreen) then it languished in a garage for two years.

A bit heavy in low-speed stuff, but beautifully stable and smooth above 45mph-ish. The V4 is quite nice. :fap:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

dreggory posted:

Sold a thing, bought a new other thing.

'01 VFR800, picked it up in Dallas and rode it back to Austin today. P.O. threw a bunch of money at it at one point (Penske rear shock, racetech springs, sargent seat, new windscreen) then it languished in a garage for two years.

A bit heavy in low-speed stuff, but beautifully stable and smooth above 45mph-ish. The V4 is quite nice. :fap:

Oh man. That generation VFR is a life-list bike for me. Nice work!

Update on the '76 CB400F:

:heysexy:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Looks loving great.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

If you can afford to drop some cash up front, and plan on staying for any significant length of time, I highly recommend using Z3n's Bike Purchasing for America Touring Service.

Absolutely, that's plan A. But if I stay shorter and only ride <10 days, the rental makes more sense. It's a few years away anyway, watch this space!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That cb400 looks amazing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm so jealous of both of you right now.

I have 2 VFR800's and a CB400F and none of them look half as good as either of those.

...or run :(

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm so jealous of both of you right now.

I have 2 VFR800's and a CB400F and none of them look half as good as either of those.

...or run :(

What year is your CB400F? I'm interested in having a second '76-'77 (don't want the ergonomic "improvements" of the '78) for myself, since I doubt I will ever get to ride this one. :)

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Continuing with the classic Hondas:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I turned my clapped out piece of poo poo into a louder, faster piece of poo poo.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mcqueen posted:

I turned my clapped out piece of poo poo into a louder, faster piece of poo poo.

Niiiice

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sofullofhate posted:

What year is your CB400F? I'm interested in having a second '76-'77 (don't want the ergonomic "improvements" of the '78) for myself, since I doubt I will ever get to ride this one. :)

Also I'm in VA. I would totally let it go to someone who I know would take good care of it though.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Mcqueen posted:

Perfect in every way.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I love this stupid thing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Do you live there, or were you riding around with a paddock stand strapped to your back?

In any case, nice paintjob :D

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you own a Tuono of any variety you are a cool dude by default and I am jealous and miss mine every day.

But if you own the last gen ape twin in white and blue or black and blue you are an especially cool dude and probably love popping power wheelies and hot babes with tattoo's so hell yeah.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Renaissance Robot posted:

Do you live there, or were you riding around with a paddock stand strapped to your back?

In any case, nice paintjob :D

I think I just realized I want to live there. :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Seriously though I am curious where the stand came from

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Picture is from Chuckwalla Valley Raceway yesterday

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah BlackMK4 pretty much lives at the track, so it should have been obvious that a bike on TRACK STANDS might just be at a RACE TRACK.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I brought it home today and have put about 35 miles on it so far just up and down the road. I ordered a new spring for the rear, and hopefully I can get my skills up to par for a test in the next month.

TobyLerone
Dec 7, 2003
Sitting is cool.

Mcqueen posted:

Are you a member at ZRXOA.org yet? Would be nice to see another goon in the midst.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ignore this post. I'm just posting it so I can search my own history here.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

darth cookie posted:

What none if you know is that all my posts are like this.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

TobyLerone posted:

Are you a member at ZRXOA.org yet? Would be nice to see another goon in the midst.

Yeah, SteveMcQueen

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

darth cookie posted:

You posted some weird poo poo.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

93 xr250r

Big loud tractor

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 18, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Out roosting and sliding on DNR land and beyond. Ran into a guy who lives out there. Saw us taking a break, stopped his car in the middle of the road, rolled a cig on his trunk, cracked a beer, and chatted for like a half hour. Nice dude, former Flathead County Sheriff's deputy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

One of the least-ugly pictures I've taken of my baiku so far. Still got plenty of stuff to do to it.