Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Magog posted:

Actually now you mention it, this is what we ALREADY DO in the high end bar. I'm talking about service in our main (volume) bar and restaurant bar (which probably could end up with one too in another year or so).

Then they should just go to the high end bar. Is it a completely separate location that's a good distance away or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

PT6A posted:

Then they should just go to the high end bar. Is it a completely separate location that's a good distance away or something?

It should take you one minute to walk over and take the escalator or lift and walk to that bar so they are literally babies. But of course it isn't open our entire trading period since that's just impossible based on the patronage (monday-tuesday especially), nor could a club with four bars, two restaurants, a cafe and capable of holding five private functions at the same time keep everything open until the minute we close.

Oh and then there's the mindfuck where these people that are being very rigid about what they want will then deign that the house wine is perfectly acceptable when they can't have it. :wtc:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Magog posted:

I don't. On the other hand ... gently caress the wine drinkers in our bar. So here's the progression over 7 years, we started off with house wine on tap for white and a 40L cask of 'dry red' and a small selection of wine by the bottle, not served by the glass, classy right? So then we get a range of piccolo wine bottles for single serve, a much larger wine range and start serving house wine by the glass from the bottle. They complain we don't serve the rest of our wine range by the glass, they complain about the piccolo bottles. So we update our range again, we now serve a range of wines no longer in piccolos but from the bottle. Still they complain that we don't serve our entire range by the glass, that we won't open a $200 bottle to serve one glass of wine and then waste the rest given the rate it moves and they complain we got rid of the piccolos (even when you get the same wine from the bottle at the same price my god).

So now we have a range of wine from the bottle and are bringing back piccolos as well. Something tells me this still won't be an acceptable situation, no matter how fancy our new range of piccolos are they'll still expect to get our highest priced wines by the glass, gah!

This is my biggest peeve about our more frustrating patrons, why don't you gently caress off? Go somewhere else. We live in a glorious free market after all, vote with your wallet and stop trying to move the mountains in every establishment you enter.

The whole wine / single malt / barrel aged single source thing is bullshit and needs to go away forever now, it's had its run. The people who are really into that stuff are usually either a) intolerable hair splitters who talk way more game than they play, b) intolerable bargain hunters who are just grinding down the list looking for what amounts to either intentional or unintentional pricing errors, or c) intolerable snots who must have The Best no matter What It Costs because They Deserve It and would drink a thimble of everclear out of a cats rear end in a top hat if that particular cat were on trend at the moment.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 28, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

drink a thimble of everclear out of a cats rear end in a top hat if that particular cat were on trend at the moment.

This isn't supposed to sound fun, is it? Because it does...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sheep-Goats posted:

The whole wine / single malt / barrel aged single source thing is bullshit and needs to go away forever now, it's had its run. The people who are really into that stuff are usually either a) intolerable hair splitters who talk way more game than they play, b) intolerable bargain hunters who are just grinding down the list looking for what amounts to either intentional or unintentional pricing errors, or c) intolerable snots who must have The Best no matter What It Costs because They Deserve It and would drink a thimble of everclear out of a cats rear end in a top hat if that particular cat were on trend at the moment.

Aww, I just want to try new wines without having to find a liquor store that carries them and/or forking over for an entire bottle. Let me guess: the poo poo you're bitching about is why there's no such thing as a tolerable "wine bar" in North America, isn't it?

I went to a really cool one (that was permanently packed, and you'd be told to gently caress off if you were being difficult or just taking too long, soup-nazi style) in Madrid that just had a chalkboard with the day's wine selections, all by the glass, none of them "trendy." It's what I want in a wine bar, but the people you describe will ensure it never happens. :smith: It's hilarious, because it's a great place but it keeps getting poo poo TripAdvisor and Yelp reviews because of the "rude service."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The main problem with the wine bar is the wine customers, yeah.

I mean, I still would not be much inclined to go because most wine is 95% pumped up bs and 5% actual thing (and I also personally believe my palate to not be too sharp) but then the reason wine is that way is again the loving wine customers.

Craft beer is by now, I think, infinitely more varied and interesting than wine and I hope the fact that most beers don't age well keeps the rich fools and wannabe aesthetes away forever.

What you described in Madrid is a wine bar I would not have an issue with (unless there were a bunch of wine shits in there talking loudly about the wine).

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Also I'm super glad the hipster assholes moved from IPA to sours so I can enjoy my decent IPA's in peace rather then have ones that are stupid bitter for no reason.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LionYeti posted:

Also I'm super glad the hipster assholes moved from IPA to sours so I can enjoy my decent IPA's in peace rather then have ones that are stupid bitter for no reason.

Me too, but because I enjoy sours more than IPAs

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

The main problem with the wine bar is the wine customers, yeah.

I mean, I still would not be much inclined to go because most wine is 95% pumped up bs and 5% actual thing (and I also personally believe my palate to not be too sharp) but then the reason wine is that way is again the loving wine customers.

Craft beer is by now, I think, infinitely more varied and interesting than wine and I hope the fact that most beers don't age well keeps the rich fools and wannabe aesthetes away forever.

What you described in Madrid is a wine bar I would not have an issue with (unless there were a bunch of wine shits in there talking loudly about the wine).

I would also argue that the most expensive wines, even those that arguably justify their price, tend to be those that require food to really appreciate anyway, so ordering them in bars with anything less than a stellar kitchen is just pissing money away. Not to mention they require long-term storage in controlled conditions.

I think you're correct there's more variation in craft beer than in wine, and I once believed the same thing to a greater degree than I do now. Now that I've "gotten into" wine, there's absolutely a greater breadth of styles than I realized -- the real problem is that it's loving hard to find if you don't put serious effort into it, and it's harder to distinguish between mass-market dreck and a great wine that can be offered at the same price for whatever reason. This is exactly why I like bars with adventurous wine lists: I can try new, crazy poo poo without much risk. I don't want a huge wine list stocked with a bunch of near-carbon-copies, that's just loving useless.

As for people talking about wine: I won't lie, I love talking about wine, but it has to be the wine being drunk at that time, for the most part, and it needs to last about 2 minutes per wine at absolute most (if you're comparing or contrasting it to other wines). I think that's normal for drinking craft beer or especially cocktails too.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I had somebody buy a $250 bottle of Pinot Noir last night, and they didn't even finish it.

I put that in a go cup and snarfed it under the bar. Gross or no?

Coke still tasted better imo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

How! posted:

I had somebody buy a $250 bottle of Pinot Noir last night, and they didn't even finish it.

I put that in a go cup and snarfed it under the bar. Gross or no?

Coke still tasted better imo.

If the wine was in the bottle or a decanter and not in their glasses, why would it be gross?

If it was in the glasses: yes, gross. Really gross.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Still snickering about STARTENDER.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My brother asked me why they had a bottle of Hersey's syrup sitting out at a diner and I told him it was probably to make a Leroy Rogers

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Sheep-Goats posted:

Leroy Rogers

Welp I must be out on the joke because googling that does, uh, not lead to a drink

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
A chocolate Roy Rodgers.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Oh no, I get it, but googling Leroy Rogers leads to a full google page of links to a noted serial killer

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

CubanMissile posted:

Order a mojito or something blended and I hate you. Don't order rainbow shots or poo poo like that unless you see dudes doing flair. If you get a Long Island, don't you dare complain you can't taste the alcohol, that's the point. Anything easy, no matter how girly, I don't care unless you demand a "Man Glass".

I don't mind spending ten minutes building a complicated drink if it's a Good Drink. But I work in dive bars and we don't even have a stirring spoons back there so don't freak out if I don't have creme de violette or something like that. Order drinks appropriate to the setting.

I also hate you if you order a Bloody Mary when the sun is down. And I'm quickly learning to hate people who order Michelada's, especially because they're never specific and however you make it is always the wrong way. Then you have to listen to an argument on the difference between a Michelada and a Chelada and everyone thinks their way is the Proper Mexican Way.

Magog posted:

I don't. On the other hand ... gently caress the wine drinkers in our bar. So here's the progression over 7 years, we started off with house wine on tap for white and a 40L cask of 'dry red' and a small selection of wine by the bottle, not served by the glass, classy right? So then we get a range of piccolo wine bottles for single serve, a much larger wine range and start serving house wine by the glass from the bottle. They complain we don't serve the rest of our wine range by the glass, they complain about the piccolo bottles. So we update our range again, we now serve a range of wines no longer in piccolos but from the bottle. Still they complain that we don't serve our entire range by the glass, that we won't open a $200 bottle to serve one glass of wine and then waste the rest given the rate it moves and they complain we got rid of the piccolos (even when you get the same wine from the bottle at the same price my god).

So now we have a range of wine from the bottle and are bringing back piccolos as well. Something tells me this still won't be an acceptable situation, no matter how fancy our new range of piccolos are they'll still expect to get our highest priced wines by the glass, gah!

This is my biggest peeve about our more frustrating patrons, why don't you gently caress off? Go somewhere else. We live in a glorious free market after all, vote with your wallet and stop trying to move the mountains in every establishment you enter.

I usually just order Johnnie Walker whenever I go out and I'm really happy you guys are focused on complexity instead of what I'm drinking. I like the idea of someone asking you for stuff you don't have or asking you to dedicate 10 minutes to them. How dare you not have that thing nobody drinks!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Agoat posted:

I usually just order Johnnie Walker whenever I go out and I'm really happy you guys are focused on complexity instead of what I'm drinking. I like the idea of someone asking you for stuff you don't have or asking you to dedicate 10 minutes to them. How dare you not have that thing nobody drinks!

I never got uppity because someone doesn't order the Right Whisky or whatever. I don't care. Thanks for ordering something easy. I only get annoyed when someone gets Patron and tries to smug about it like its the best tequila when it's loving hairspray. Don't ask me to try something new, and when I give you something good you poo poo on it because rappers don't talk about it.

These days I don't even really get annoyed by drinks. It's the other stuff that gets me. Heaven forbid customers learn that I can play practically any song by hooking my phone up to the sound system because then they'll think I'm DJ Bartender taking requests all night long ask a me to play song after song for them instead of doing anything else. I try to be accommodating and it always bites me in the rear end because it's never enough and after an hour of that poo poo I get testy and they can never accept why.

And gently caress you if you ask me to change the temperature of the entire bar just to suit only you. I just go to the thermostat and pretend to press buttons. If they ask me later why it feels the same I just say management must have locked out the temperature controls.

Edit: Had a crazy/stupid owner once that took the front doors to the patio being open very seriously because he was 100% convinced that having the front doors open increased business. He was even ok with consistently getting health department demerits for it because there wasn't an air curtain. So sometimes it would be too hot or cold outside and someone would ask me to close the doors. If he was around I'd tell them the owner is crazy and will freak out on me if I close those doors. Then they would basically tell me to gently caress off and go close the doors themselves and try to sit back down like they own the place. Yes, they're right that they should be closed, but gently caress you this isn't your loving house don't go loving with our doors because you can't handle being told no. I used to just reopen them again right in front of the person and told them in front of their whole group that if they touched anything again I would boot their rear end out of here. Meanwhile the owner would hide in the office and let me deal with all the blowback because I "needed to learn how to manage". Goddamn customers used to always mess with the window blinds too.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 3, 2016

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
How much of a problem do you guys have with people getting on the furniture? As in up on tables, chairs, benches, basically anything to make them a special snowflake that everyone can see. I work in a city centre bar that does r'n'b nights at the weekends and is far too packed, and it just seems to attract these people like moths to flame. They always seem so indignant and shocked when I tell them to get down too, as if being able to climb on the furniture is a reasonable expectation in a bar.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Jakabite posted:

How much of a problem do you guys have with people getting on the furniture? As in up on tables, chairs, benches, basically anything to make them a special snowflake that everyone can see. I work in a city centre bar that does r'n'b nights at the weekends and is far too packed, and it just seems to attract these people like moths to flame. They always seem so indignant and shocked when I tell them to get down too, as if being able to climb on the furniture is a reasonable expectation in a bar.

It's a safety hazard and a legal liability for the bar. Get down, no exceptions.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Jakabite posted:

They fall down and sue and it's your rear end.

And you wanna see indignant and shocked? Tell them they're not allowed to bring outside food in.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I once was in a bar that put wooden covers over their pool tables so people could dance on them. A very popular downtown Chicago bar too. I wonder if they were risking it or got some sort of permit for it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jakabite posted:

Worked in a club with leather cuboids and whatnot for furniture / seats. Once heard the owner stalking the hall cursing up a huge storm about how many holes she found in the leather from skanks climbing on the poo poo with their heels still on. This was despite having very aggro bouncers and staff that generally hated the customers there.

=====

On the flipside in Taipei I went to some bar whose clientele seemed to be 100% middle aged + white guys and the Taiwanese women who loved them. They had rails installed on the bar so people could dance on it. Nothing like seeing a lineup of 35 year old Taiwanese ladies and the cities single omnipresent gay guy in flamboyant suits dancing on top of a loving working bar.

E: I think this pic is from that place, anyway that's what it looked like

They also had covert security. The bouncer was a white guy and I was sitting around outside while a scraggly haired guy in his 30s was arguing with the bouncer and insisting he be let back in. Eventually he pushed the bouncer who shoved him back down a few steps then walked inside. After he did that two Taiwanese guys got up off a motorbike and two more got out of a car with lengths of rebar and beat the living gently caress out of the scraggly haired guy with them for about forty seconds before going back to their vehicles and speeding off.

Oh also don't take that as a bash on Taipei's nightlife. It's very very good, with tons of busy and well run bars. Hours start very late though (many many places don't open until midnight) and obviously go until well past sun up.

mooyashi posted:

Welp I must be out on the joke because googling that does, uh, not lead to a drink

It's just a joke, not a drink -- if anyone actually put Hersheys in a coke I'd be real disappointed in them and maybe their parents.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 4, 2016

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Who the gently caress considers themselves an adult and then climbs all over the furniture anyway? The mere fact that there's a porous surface for you to ostensibly enjoy means that puke and whatever can come out of your body is not expected, so grow up a little bit. Sheesh.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Oh yeah had a bottle chucked at my head last week, so I'm one step closer to burnout bingo

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There was one night in the club when everyone in there threw every glass and bottle they could find. I just threw my hands up in the air and walked back to the employee toilets when it started up.

Brought the tip jar.

The barbacks/bussers must have been sweeping up busted glass for hours.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

mooyashi posted:

Who the gently caress considers themselves an adult and then climbs all over the furniture anyway? The mere fact that there's a porous surface for you to ostensibly enjoy means that puke and whatever can come out of your body is not expected, so grow up a little bit. Sheesh.

Exactly this. I think it annoys me more because what it's saying is 'hey everyone, pay attention to me.' The worst are always fairly attractive women - you ask them to get down and they just wink or shake their arse at you like you're going to just be like okay then because of that. Seriously, get down or you're getting thrown the gently caress out.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
And then they have a meltdown because attractive women can't handle being told no.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

CubanMissile posted:

And then they have a meltdown because attractive women can't handle being told no.

It's the little things that make the job worth it

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Sounds like you guys could use the best drat cooler in the business.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Sounds like you guys could use the best drat cooler in the business.

Wade Garrett is the best :colbert:

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I once was in a bar that put wooden covers over their pool tables so people could dance on them. A very popular downtown Chicago bar too. I wonder if they were risking it or got some sort of permit for it.

In Denver I had to tell patrons that they could not dance since we had a liquor license, but not a cabaret license. Dead serious.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I once worked in a bar that played hardcore porn cut with ads from the 70s and 80s nonstop, with 2 waterbeds, a stripper pole, astroturf flooring, and enameled playboy centerfolds covering every drat square inch of bar surface.

Yes we had trouble at that bar, but we made good money.

It ruined my life.

Fake edit: gently caress San Francisco.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

How! posted:

I once worked in a bar that played hardcore porn cut with ads from the 70s and 80s nonstop, with 2 waterbeds, a stripper pole, astroturf flooring, and enameled playboy centerfolds covering every drat square inch of bar surface.

Yes we had trouble at that bar, but we made good money.

It ruined my life.

Fake edit: gently caress San Francisco.

What a poo poo pit

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Places like that are awesome because you can be as hostile as you want towards customers and no one cares.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Kozy Kar is for real a shithole.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Kozy Kar is for real a shithole.

lol I was just going to post this

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CubanMissile posted:

Places like that are awesome because you can be as hostile as you want towards customers and no one cares.

That's about half of the bar jobs I've worked though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Spotted in Philly:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Put it Reddit and watch those autistic retards implode.

• Locked thread