Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bij
Feb 24, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

I don't understand what exactly is supposed to be a uniquely secular or atheistic plan against global warming. It's like this is bullshit put together by people who assume that all things associated with religion must be frauds.

People get this impression because a giant bloc of assholes are consistently voting in a bunch of huckster scum and tarnishing the religious brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

Why would an 'underlying content' exist without the ability to resolve differences? And how could humanity as a whole move in roughly the same direction yet still remain isolated & alone, on a 'fundamental' level? The probability of that happening has to be very low, you may as well expect to quantum tunnel through the earth.

In religious terms what I would say is redemption isn't a erasure. Our separateness doesn't go away even if our separateness is redeemed.

McDowell posted:

The underlying content, the substantive reality, is the objective material of creation and the cosmos, beyond our limited perception as humans here on Earth. We participate by forming our minds and choosing to either embrace or overcome sensuality. Your mind/soul then moves away or towards service to the Creator. You always have free choice and the ability to make up your mind, but you move in one of 2 directions - self-service or crew-mindedness.

There was a lot a batshit neo-platonism in early Christianity. But most of Christianity does not reject that creation is good and most of it does not reject the material. I believe in saying "Yes to God's Earth". No evacuating by comet for me.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Main Paineframe posted:

That's "matrilineal", not "matriarchal". They're not even remotely the same thing.

In my experience studying native cultures (BA, Anthropology, emphasis in pre-Hispanic Southwest, if credentials matter at all) most of them were matrilineal but not really matriarchal. Some were egalitarian in decision making (Hopi is a fairly good example of this, though men controlled ritual knowledge), but to the best of my knowledge there were few if any true matriarchies even prior to contact.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

There is exactly one Christian martyr in the Bible, Saint Stephen, who dies spouting what would have been considered vile blasphemies at the time, on the level of saying David Koresh really was the Son of God. Jesus also tells his followers that they must arm themselves when the time comes, because he was an apocalyptic prophet who attracted Zealots to his cause. Jesus also refuses to denounce the sections of the law which call for the stoning to death of adulterers, not only in that the story of "let him without sin cast the first stone" is an interpolation from a later period into the Gospel of John, but also in that the story doesn't challenge the law as unjust. Indeed, Jesus came to fulfill the law, and not one letter of it would pass away, he says, and though he also says that "love God" and "love thy neighbor" are the most important commandments, he doesn't tell anyone they're released from having to avoid shellfish or put witches to death. Jesus actually tightens the Mosaic law in multiple passages.

I think comments like these are what distinguish between people who honestly want to understand Christianity, and those who have already made up their mind about what it is and only see passages that reflect their opinion. This may be pointless, but I'd like that answer this line by line.

On the comment of Saint Stephen, sure, his proclamations would have been blasphemous to the Jews, but that has no bearing to the point that Stephen died without opposing his murderers. The reason I brought up Stephen was because as the first martyr, he followed Jesus' example of not facing death for the faith with violence, in contrast to the use of "martyrdom" in radical Islamic terror attacks. Just because someone says something that you do not believe or understand does not make them violent.

I assume when you speak of Jesus saying to arm yourselves, you refer to Luke 22, where he contrasts the Disciples' earlier missions where they never went without to what they are about to undertake, and that they should prepare themselves. Yes, he says buy a sword, because it is a metaphor for the violence and uncertainty that is to follow his death. The chapter before he warns of the coming destruction of Jerusalem, which occurs in AD 70-ish, around Masada's timeframe. He also says that they should eat his flesh and drink his blood, which is a reference to the Paschal (Passover) sacrifice that all Jews were required to eat to be saved in Egypt. Jesus loved to be metaphorical, and later having to explain some of the more important stuff the Disciples couldn't follow. That's because in Exodus (or Numbers, can't remember off-hand) God explains to Aaron that he usually speaks to people in riddles and dreams (Moses was a rare exception). Since Jesus is God, He's going to have the same MO. The key distinction that should clarify the issue is that when it came down to it, Jesus refused to oppose his own death, even condemning Peter for fighting for his sake.

As for was Jesus a zealot? Perhaps so, and he certainly fulfilled the passage "zeal for your house will consume me" when he cleared the temple of money changers and traders. However, his zealotry was not of a violent or political nature, hence the disillusionment of Holy Week after the Triumphal Entry - everyone thought he'd step up and overthrow the Roman rule over Israel. That's what was so revolutionary about His coming, is that He came not to overthrow Rome, but to overthrow the chains of sin.

Now, as for Jesus not denouncing the Law, I have a feeling anything I say will ring hollow to you. I really suggest you read the book of Romans, as Paul does a great job distinguishing between the Law and salvation. In short, the Law exists to outline to man how we should live, to try and outline the goals we should reach for. The problem is, God deals with people, and we're not very cooperative or smart. So the Law of Moses was really a first go at it, stuff like "don't kill each other," or "don't have sex with your mother-in-law, wtf is wrong with you?" Jesus came to bring the fulfillment of the Law (the ultimate atonement that we could never provide ourselves), but also to fully clarify God's intent in the Law. That is a lot of the meat in the Sermon on the Mount. It's not enough to not kill each other, you also shouldn't hate each other either, because murder stems from hate. Jesus won't challenge the law of "no adultery" because adultery is still wrong; as he says to the woman "go, and leave your life of sin." Furthermore, Jesus quite clearly asserts his authority over the Law, and denounces heedless adherence to our own manifestations of the Law that miss the point. The clearest example is when he heals on the Sabbath (which nominally is illegal under the Pharisee tradition) stating that "is it not better to free this son of Abraham from his infirmity?" He sums it up by "The Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath." Anyone can twist words around to do harm to people (honor the Sabbath -> do no work -> do not heal -> people suffer), and this is in essence what you are trying to do.

Now, if you honestly have questions about Christianity, I would be happy to continue the discussion, but if you've already made up your mind I won't bother you about it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BrandorKP posted:

There was a lot a batshit neo-platonism in early Christianity. But most of Christianity does not reject that creation is good and most of it does not reject the material. I believe in saying "Yes to God's Earth". No evacuating by comet for me.

There's plenty of interference and misinformation that has accrued over the centuries - you can make up your own mind, I'm just a student (and a pretty lousy one at that). How many Romans would have scoffed at some crucified Hebrew, preferring to say yes to the world of Caesar and Zeus? Creation is much bigger than the planet earth, and while ultimately 'everything happens for a reason' this planet is beset with evil. There's a 'Planet Nine' hypothesis that fits with other pop culture prophecies of Nibiru. If astronomers find it and it I will be very interested to learn the year of perihelion. The recycling takes time but that is the phase we have been in since Hale-bopp departed.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Really? It seems to me that a lot of Muslims worldwide aren't that interested in building a theocratic state. Are they just bad Muslims, from your viewpoint?

I would say implementation of religious law is a form of theocracy.

Majorian posted:

You're going to have to connect the dots a little more visibly than that - Christianity promises salvation, too, and glorifies martyrs. It doesn't seem to me that the differences between the Bible and the Qu'ran can account for the distinction in behavior. Indeed, one of the most active anti-Israeli terrorists over the past several decades was George Habash, an Orthodox Christian (and also a Marxist). If one read his biography but didn't read anything about his religious and ideological affiliations, one would probably not see too much of a difference between him and other Palestinian insurgent leaders. It wasn't religion that brought him and Arafat together; it was sociopolitical and historical factors.

So Shadid martyrdom is = to Sainthood?

Your view bolsters my previous point that the far left seeks to do a false equivocation hand-waving effort to reject the notion that religions impact human behaviour.

Majorian posted:

Yet you seem to be reducing the causes for what we commonly label "Islamist" violence is a function of Islam, as a religion. That's not a terribly uncommon interpretation in the West, but don't you think that when Westerners take that viewpoint, it probably alienates Muslims as well?

The American keyboard social scientist has done a pretty good job at looking at religious causes with a pretty extreme reductionist lens. Are you saying that Islam isn't involved in Islamist ideology? Are you saying that in order to not alienate people we should seek to ignore or paint the causes as something non-specific but maintain a certainty that Islam isn't the cause?

Sethex fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 6, 2016

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

It's not reductionism though, if religion was the result of a psychological disposition, then it wouldn't correlate strongly with geography (unless that's the implicit claim you're making, in which case lol gently caress off). You're being way too essentialist if you're claiming that religious belief can act as an effective or useful marker of behaviors, that's just magical thinking. It doesn't even act as a useful marker of political ideology, as a wider view of history would demonstrate. The only thing that can't be unbound from the religion proper is the metaphysical claims, which are useless.

pwnd

Magical thinking:

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'd have thought that at least one county would have Southern Baptists as the most common denomination but either none do or the mapmaker is a complete moron.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sethex posted:

The American keyboard social scientist has done a pretty good job at looking at religious causes with a pretty extreme reductionist lens. Are you saying that Islam isn't involved in Islamist ideology? Are you saying that in order to not alienate people we should seek to ignore or paint the causes as something non-specific but maintain a certainty that Islam isn't the cause?

Yes and yes.

I'll repeat myself: these people know Osama Bin Ladin's speeches by heart but can't even remember the five pillars of Islam. How do you reconcile that with the notion that "extremism is caused by Islam"?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

McDowell posted:

There's plenty of interference and misinformation that has accrued over the centuries - you can make up your own mind, I'm just a student (and a pretty lousy one at that). How many Romans would have scoffed at some crucified Hebrew, preferring to say yes to the world of Caesar and Zeus? Creation is much bigger than the planet earth, and while ultimately 'everything happens for a reason' this planet is beset with evil. There's a 'Planet Nine' hypothesis that fits with other pop culture prophecies of Nibiru. If astronomers find it and it I will be very interested to learn the year of perihelion. The recycling takes time but that is the phase we have been in since Hale-bopp departed.

Come on, get professional help. This isn't even funny anymore, it's just sad.

Sethex posted:

While we can all imagine the incoming mealy-mouthed wordy response, I'm just going to preemptively cut through the crap and predict the answer will boil down to "no it's not involved in islamist ideology" and "i know this makes me a stupid rear end in a top hat and i'm trying to weasel my way out of it but basically yeah just act like you've proven a negative".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Yes and yes.

I'll repeat myself: these people know Osama Bin Ladin's speeches by heart but can't even remember the five pillars of Islam. How do you reconcile that with the notion that "extremism is caused by Islam"?

Hipster terrorists with a copy of "Islam for Dummies" in their luggage don't need to know what they're blowing themselves up for.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

splifyphus posted:

And you think woefully inadequate English translations of select portions of a 1300 year old Arabic text taken out of context and hermeneutically reconstituted into the tiny world horizon of Sam Harris, Islamic Expert are a better explanation than the total civil chaos and destitution caused by 60ish years of Team America: World Police?

The people ISIS exploits have nothing else to fall back on. It's pretty easy to have a monolithic enemy to rally against just by pointing at the sky as it shits bombs on your weddings, your families, your places of worship, your hospitals, your schools, etc etc. Material circumstances have always had an enormous role in the production of ideology. Poverty, sickness, starvation, oppression and war practically excrete dogmatism and groupthink.

If you'd been reading you wouldn't approach my comments as though I am seeking to erase the US's foreign policy as a chief force in the creation of these religious death cults.

America has been a dick to more people and regions than simply the Muslim ones, yet the responses of the oppressed seems to be extremely variable.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Like is the argument over whether Islam the religion has any influence at all, or is it just about to what degree. Because, terrorism happens everywhere, it's not unique to Islam. But a person's way of thinking will probably have an influence on whether they do terrorist poo poo, and things like religion have an influence on the way people think. In some form, in some fashion.

It's like take a ball of chewed up-spit out gum, a lot of it, and then mix it the gently caress up and plop it on the ground. Trying to argue about what flavor of gum is the most significant aspect of the ball of gum is retarded.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

blowfish posted:

Hipster terrorists with a copy of "Islam for Dummies" in their luggage don't need to know what they're blowing themselves up for.

Btw thread this literally happened. One of the Daesh's suicide bombers did indeed have Islam for Dummies in his personal luggage.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SHISHKABOB posted:

Like is the argument over whether Islam the religion has any influence at all, or is it just about to what degree. Because, terrorism happens everywhere, it's not unique to Islam. But a person's way of thinking will probably have an influence on whether they do terrorist poo poo, and things like religion have an influence on the way people think. In some form, in some fashion.

It's like take a ball of chewed up-spit out gum, a lot of it, and then mix it the gently caress up and plop it on the ground. Trying to argue about what flavor of gum is the most significant aspect of the ball of gum is retarded.

The argument is that Islam is inherently special (barbaric,etc) and represents a unique threat to the "secular" (read: Western) world.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Btw thread this literally happened. One of the Daesh's suicide bombers did indeed have Islam for Dummies in his personal luggage.

That's what I referenced :hf:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

The argument is that Islam is inherently special (barbaric,etc) and represents a unique threat to the "secular" (read: Western) world.

Well that's a retarded and reductionist perspective. Probably espoused by far right groups appealing to national identities or some poo poo.

poo poo, man, the USA has been a unique threat to millions of people over the years, does that mean there's something "inherently special" about it?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

splifyphus posted:

And you think woefully inadequate English translations of select portions of a 1300 year old Arabic text taken out of context and hermeneutically reconstituted into the tiny world horizon of Sam Harris, Islamic Expert are a better explanation than the total civil chaos and destitution caused by 60ish years of Team America: World Police?

The people ISIS exploits have nothing else to fall back on. It's pretty easy to have a monolithic enemy to rally against just by pointing at the sky as it shits bombs on your weddings, your families, your places of worship, your hospitals, your schools, etc etc. Material circumstances have always had an enormous role in the production of ideology. Poverty, sickness, starvation, oppression and war practically excrete dogmatism and groupthink.

It's caused by a lot more than just "60ish years of Team America: World Police". Western influences and abuses in the region go back over a century, and by the time America came into the picture it was mostly just taking over the influence Britain and France could no longer maintain. While US meddling in the region has been significant, the roots of Arab resentment against the West date back to 1915.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Main Paineframe posted:

It's caused by a lot more than just "60ish years of Team America: World Police". Western influences and abuses in the region go back over a century, and by the time America came into the picture it was mostly just taking over the influence Britain and France could no longer maintain. While US meddling in the region has been significant, the roots of Arab resentment against the West date back to 1915.

Hell's, it might be even longer consider this is the British "motherfuckers" empire we are talking about.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SHISHKABOB posted:

Well that's a retarded and reductionist perspective. Probably espoused by far right groups appealing to national identities or some poo poo.

poo poo, man, the USA has been a unique threat to millions of people over the years, does that mean there's something "inherently special" about it?
Yeah, America is exceptional.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Hell's, it might be even longer consider this is the British "motherfuckers" empire we are talking about.

It's fuckin history dude, frame it with whatever narrative you want, but poo poo's complicated and nothing has a simple cause.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, America is exceptional.

Yeah as nobody else has done what America does. But nobody has done what Italy has done either! Or Kenya, or Malaysia, or whereever the gently caress you want whatever group of people categorized by some characteristic.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's fuckin history dude, frame it with whatever narrative you want, but poo poo's complicated and nothing has a simple cause.

True, just meant that there is so much long standing problems going on. Heck there was even support for the house of Saud by the East India Company to try and get one over on Persia that was threatening things in India.

Its why I go for ancient history, less chance of being made sad by the bone shattering stupidity of ones ancestors.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Sethex posted:

If you'd been reading you wouldn't approach my comments as though I am seeking to erase the US's foreign policy as a chief force in the creation of these religious death cults.

America has been a dick to more people and regions than simply the Muslim ones, yet the responses of the oppressed seems to be extremely variable.

None of that seems confined to Islamists even within the Middle East though. The Israel-Palestinian struggle has a long history of terrorism during the era when it was dominated by two secular parties, Fatah and the PFLP, with terrorists like Carlos the Jackal and the partisans of the Japanese Red Army flying in from all over the world to participate. I would think you're going to find a lot more useful information about contemporary terrorism in this history than you are in the pages of the Quran and Hadith.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What do you think the map shows? They're all the same religion, broken up into little camps on account of familiarity. Hell, turn the whole argument around: that country you're covering shows a wide variety of geographies and biomes. Would you accept an argument that said that the climate of the east coast necessarily made them more liberal than the climate of the south? No, you wouldn't, because it doesn't make logical sense. Apply the same logic to religion, taking into account all of recorded history. At different points in time, and you'll see that Islam has been more progressive than Christianity and Buddhists have been malicious. The constant are political ideology, which can attach and detach themselves from any metaphysics if you're clever enough about it.

But who gets to do that, at any point in time? Community leaders, religious leaders, 'thinkers'. If there's a problem, it stems from them, not from some intrinsic nature of whatever religion you're talking about.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Griffen posted:

I think comments like these are what distinguish between people who honestly want to understand Christianity, and those who have already made up their mind about what it is and only see passages that reflect their opinion. This may be pointless, but I'd like that answer this line by line.

On the comment of Saint Stephen, sure, his proclamations would have been blasphemous to the Jews, but that has no bearing to the point that Stephen died without opposing his murderers. The reason I brought up Stephen was because as the first martyr, he followed Jesus' example of not facing death for the faith with violence, in contrast to the use of "martyrdom" in radical Islamic terror attacks. Just because someone says something that you do not believe or understand does not make them violent.

Dude, apocalyptic Judaism was all about violence, and the Christianity of Stephen was violent as hell. The violence would be committed in large part by the Son of Man, but it was all about the Heavenly Host coming down and torturing all the Romans and Sadduccees to death before annihilating their souls. I suppose that you believe that Pontius Pilate washing his hands was an actual moral absolution? Wanting violence to happen against people is still bad, and it's a good thing that Christians have adopted the love-thy-neighbor part and the come-to-rule-the-nations-with-a-rod-of-iron part is still pretty recessed.

quote:

I assume when you speak of Jesus saying to arm yourselves, you refer to Luke 22, where he contrasts the Disciples' earlier missions where they never went without to what they are about to undertake, and that they should prepare themselves. Yes, he says buy a sword, because it is a metaphor for the violence and uncertainty that is to follow his death. The chapter before he warns of the coming destruction of Jerusalem, which occurs in AD 70-ish, around Masada's timeframe. He also says that they should eat his flesh and drink his blood, which is a reference to the Paschal (Passover) sacrifice that all Jews were required to eat to be saved in Egypt. Jesus loved to be metaphorical, and later having to explain some of the more important stuff the Disciples couldn't follow. That's because in Exodus (or Numbers, can't remember off-hand) God explains to Aaron that he usually speaks to people in riddles and dreams (Moses was a rare exception). Since Jesus is God, He's going to have the same MO. The key distinction that should clarify the issue is that when it came down to it, Jesus refused to oppose his own death, even condemning Peter for fighting for his sake.

Alternatively, it's him telling them that they will need to be ready for the coming of the Son of Man, which is imminent, as in the Olivet Discourse, and it's metaphorical in a different way. Jesus refused to oppose his own death, probably because he knew that opposing Rome was futile and would simply get all his followers killed.

quote:

As for was Jesus a zealot? Perhaps so, and he certainly fulfilled the passage "zeal for your house will consume me" when he cleared the temple of money changers and traders. However, his zealotry was not of a violent or political nature, hence the disillusionment of Holy Week after the Triumphal Entry - everyone thought he'd step up and overthrow the Roman rule over Israel. That's what was so revolutionary about His coming, is that He came not to overthrow Rome, but to overthrow the chains of sin.

The Zealots were the political-religious organization that masterminded the First Roman-Jewish War. At the very least, one of the Twelve is Simon Zealot, who was a member of this organization calling for violent overthrow of Roman rule. It's been suggested that Judas Iscariot was an even more radicalized member, one of the Sicarii who Josephus claims assassinated prominent opponents of the Zealots and Romans.

quote:

Now, as for Jesus not denouncing the Law, I have a feeling anything I say will ring hollow to you. I really suggest you read the book of Romans, as Paul does a great job distinguishing between the Law and salvation. In short, the Law exists to outline to man how we should live, to try and outline the goals we should reach for. The problem is, God deals with people, and we're not very cooperative or smart. So the Law of Moses was really a first go at it, stuff like "don't kill each other," or "don't have sex with your mother-in-law, wtf is wrong with you?" Jesus came to bring the fulfillment of the Law (the ultimate atonement that we could never provide ourselves), but also to fully clarify God's intent in the Law. That is a lot of the meat in the Sermon on the Mount. It's not enough to not kill each other, you also shouldn't hate each other either, because murder stems from hate. Jesus won't challenge the law of "no adultery" because adultery is still wrong; as he says to the woman "go, and leave your life of sin." Furthermore, Jesus quite clearly asserts his authority over the Law, and denounces heedless adherence to our own manifestations of the Law that miss the point. The clearest example is when he heals on the Sabbath (which nominally is illegal under the Pharisee tradition) stating that "is it not better to free this son of Abraham from his infirmity?" He sums it up by "The Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath." Anyone can twist words around to do harm to people (honor the Sabbath -> do no work -> do not heal -> people suffer), and this is in essence what you are trying to do.

Now, if you honestly have questions about Christianity, I would be happy to continue the discussion, but if you've already made up your mind I won't bother you about it.

Paul is Paul and Jesus is Jesus. Paul claims no knowledge of Jesus from his experience near Damascus other than the simple fact that a man who was cursed by God was resurrected and became the Anointed One of God, and his understanding of theology is, as he says in Galatians, very distinct from that of Peter and James, brother of Jesus. Jesus, to put it bluntly, argues that the Mosaic Law must be made even tighter. He puts the doing of good as pre-eminent, but you should understand that as written Jesus does not appear to dispute the idea that an adulterous woman should be stoned to death, ideally, which is quite a long ways from saying that she should be forgiven regardless of the sinfulness of her accusers. Now, Jesus's spending time with "prostitutes" and tax collectors suggests a more universally forgiving view of things, and we could argue that Jesus actually did believe that "love God with all your heart, mind, and soul" and "love thy neighbor as thyself" were the only two commandments that mattered at all, and that what Jesus says that supports tightening the Mosaic Law is later interpolations from people attempting to understand Jesus's teachings. But as things stand, the written evidence is not compelling on that regard.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Come on, get professional help. This isn't even funny anymore, it's just sad.

You don't need to worry about me, you either see the big picture or you don't, everyone is at a different stage in their overcoming (if they are overcoming at all). I'm not in any rush to leave this vehicle, I'm in it to learn. In this time and place we could devote our energies to each other so we can all be comfortably monastic, but there are always corrupting forces at work. Look at what a perversion prosperity gospel is - this is Lucifer in action. There are some ominous things on the horizon when you think about VR, AR, and porn applications. A day could come where people might be wearing those goggles during all their waking hours, their perceptions completely dependent on machine input. Their sensuality would be used to completely enslave them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

You don't need to worry about me, you either see the big picture or you don't, everyone is at a different stage in their overcoming (if they are overcoming at all). I'm not in any rush to leave this vehicle, I'm in it to learn. In this time and place we could devote our energies to each other so we can all be comfortably monastic, but there are always corrupting forces at work. Look at what a perversion prosperity gospel is - this is Lucifer in action. There are some ominous things on the horizon when you think about VR, AR, and porn applications. A day could come where people might be wearing those goggles during all their waking hours, their perceptions completely dependent on machine input. Their sensuality would be used to completely enslave them.

Yes, the Devil is out to get you using VR. Because that's definitely not something a crazy person would say.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Yes, the Devil is out to get you using VR. Because that's definitely not something a crazy person would say.

Some people think and deeply believe that just playing Dungeons & Dragons, reading science fiction, and being open to possibilities beyond the mundane is satanic, or evil. Could you possibly institutionalize them all? I just fear a day where people might be expected to wear literal blinders as a part of their job. Of course it would start as a consumer toy, that way everyone wants to use it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

Some people think and deeply believe that just playing Dungeons & Dragons, reading science fiction, and being open to possibilities beyond the mundane is satanic, or evil. Could you possibly institutionalize them all?

It's probably possible to institutionalize them all, yes. It wouldn't be practical, and almost certainly be immoral and would probably involve a lot of rights violations, but I'm confident that it is something that could technically be accomplished.

quote:

I just fear a day where people might be expected to wear literal blinders as a part of their job. Of course it would start as a consumer toy, that way everyone wants to use it.

Literal blinders... that don't actually blind you. And in fact make you see better.

Tell me, what's the meaningful difference between seeing something with your eyes, and seeing something with your eyes via a screen and some cameras? Are corrective glasses also a tool of Satan, making us slaves to sensuality?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

McDowell posted:

I'm not in any rush to leave this vehicle, I'm in it to learn.

Uh... you wouldn't be looking for the Hale-Bopp comet by any chance, would you? Maybe a gate to heaven, even?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

A snippy snip is the fare to board that space train and I'm not sure if there's that many unscrupulous doctors in Mexico anymore. Maybe some members of the stateside extreme BDSM community have the expertise on hand but I'm guessing it'll take a trip to someplace where the US dollar holds a bit more sway.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

I kneel and pray to my Lord, and I beseech of him "Please allow me to understand these posts" and a white man with a brown beard appears in my chamber and he says "lol seriously they can just press enter to make a line break I dont know wtf they are doing... i dont im sorry.... actually... im extremely sorry" and im like wtf jesus what is this planet that you created. but when i look into my vision, its just actually jesus running away as fast as he can into the distance

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

So how about that "Cult of Mithra" which was very popular with Emperor Constantine's Mother.

So "Mithra" was a semi-divine person who was good, and he was BORN OF A VIRGIN, AROUND THE WINTER SOLSTICE, and he preached of being nice to your neighbors to some extent.

His blood, if you drank it, was healing and good. You should definitely drink the blood of Mithra, and there were many ceremonies about this in the year 400 ad.

This Mithra actually died, went to the underworld and then came back to life precisely three days later.

When he came back to life, he did whatever, sprayed his blood on everyone because in the year 400 ad everyone loved to worship blood for some loving reason.

and then once he was done, the legend of this weird random roman poo poo is that he went into heaven body and soul a few weeks after being resurrected.

Click here to learn about the Foundation of the Church we know:

(the church always wants to hide all history)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

I love to say to my father, I love Jesus, and I hate war.

"Go to church and worship your anti-christ!!!!!"

I have shouted at him several times.

What is the anti-christ?

You true liberals know who the anti-christ is.

It is republicans.

They worship "the anti-christ"

If you are faithful, do not be afraid!!!!

SHOUT THAT YOUR ENEMIES WORSHIP THE ANTI-CHRIST!!!!!!

YOU KNOW IT IS TRUE!!!!!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's just a different way to communicate. Human beings search for intimacy and that's normal, you're as much as slave to that as you are a slave to hunger. There's no need to be afraid of that desire, everything will work out okay. There's no end to politics, and AR/VR isn't going to change that.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Is there actually such a thing as a christian person who is a republican voter who really believes that marijuana is bad and... well just that one thing........

does such a thing exist? marijuana is bad?

does anyone in the entire world think that?

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

"Our Religion says that it is bad to jerk off, and therefore, you should probably not smoke weed all the time and jerk off"

"Our Religion also said that the pope can live in Avignon or wherever, it really doesn't matter it's just some dude... uh ... maybe we had two popes back then... it was a difficult time... uh maybe we dont know"

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Modern Christianity is the worship of the anti-christ.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

It's just a different way to communicate.

This is a BFD, if you catch my drift. This video world is crazy enough. Just you wait. And imagine if the astronomers find Nibiru, and/or with local innovation or an actual extraterrestrial event the means are available for humans to live forever in a material way. Wouldn't it be total blasphemy to do such a thing? Your consciousness would be a slave to the operators of the machine (forget 'you are the product' - this is way beyond that). To become some kind of singularity being, a total cyborg, or however these things develop - becomes denial and opposition of God's plan for all biological things - to be subject to time and entropy.

It's crazy to bend this to say it's wrong to get a prosthetic limb or glasses or what have you when it is needed. But there are questions raised by things like 'Deus Ex' - where technology is available that actually augments your mind and body - would you mutilate yourself to integrate technology that way? How far would you surrender your perception of reality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

"Let us Vote For Tough Against Crime!

If someone commits the crime of smoking Marijuana,

Then he has commit a SIN!

And therefore,

as Christian Republicans,

We should destroy the life of this pot-smoker

Send him to Jail forever

That is what Jesus Christ would do.

Send Pot smokers to jail and then to hell forever.

Let's be 'tough on crime'

• Locked thread