Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
For people who like russian jets, some amazing pics here:

http://igor113.livejournal.com/441419.html

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Boulders, the ballast of The People.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Unkempt posted:

Is this like somebody's private scrapyard? I dig how the photographers show up in several small helicopters?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So many beautiful MiG-25s :-(

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Why is there a single Dassault Mystere (?) rotting away somewhere in Russia? :confused:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gervasius posted:

Why is there a single Dassault Mystere (?) rotting away somewhere in Russia? :confused:

It's a mystery :wiggle:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Unkempt posted:

As an aside; Russian mil nerds are the best mil nerds. I've found many weird and wonderful things trawling through Russian language livejournals and websites and I can't even speak or read it :ussr:.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey, nice, going from dark to light worked out better than I thought. I might be able to get away with not buying third-party masks after all once I tighten down the cuts and use a proper ruler instead of a piece of sprue as a straight edge. The frisket film didn't take up any paint after I let it dry for around 45 minutes, and it came up easily with very careful manipulation of an Xacto blade and tweezers to follow thereafter.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
How are paint jobs like that done on the real thing? Do they also use some kind of masking?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Kibner posted:

How are paint jobs like that done on the real thing? Do they also use some kind of masking?

yes, although since it's a lot bigger it can easily be done with regular masking tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzKckUmy1Ho
Civilian aircraft, but a good example.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is this like somebody's private scrapyard? I dig how the photographers show up in several small helicopters?

I assume they just used quadcopters to get those aerial shots.

edit:

Uh... is that a missile?!:stare:.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit:

that does appear to be a scud.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Triggerhappypilot posted:

yes, although since it's a lot bigger it can easily be done with regular masking tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzKckUmy1Ho
Civilian aircraft, but a good example.

Thanks!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kibner posted:

There's all kinds of wacky techniques. The Nazis had one kind of camo where you'd pile a shitload of little metal discs onto the side of a tank to act as one big stencil.

This gave you irregular shapes with scalloped edges, like the classic Ambush pattern but...shittier.

I have no idea how that splinter pattern specifically was done, but it could have been anything from standard, factory-made templates to a bunch of conscripts with masking tape.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's like WWII Germany held a "Design Our Next Camo!" contest, but then couldn't decide on a winner and just used everyones designs.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit:

You asking about the SCUD up front, or what appears to be a large cruise missile by the truck? Really not sure what that one is, but it certainly looks like a turbine/ram jet setup.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Poisonlizard posted:

You asking about the SCUD up front, or what appears to be a large cruise missile by the truck? Really not sure what that one is, but it certainly looks like a turbine/ram jet setup.

That thing next to the truck looks like a Tu-143, one of early Soviet UAVs.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I know digital camo on small things is done with a hydro dip process. I have no idea if that scales up beyond handheld devices, though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Gervasius posted:

That thing next to the truck looks like a Tu-143, one of early Soviet UAVs.

Are you sure it isn't a Colonial Viper?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There's all kinds of wacky techniques. The Nazis had one kind of camo where you'd pile a shitload of little metal discs onto the side of a tank to act as one big stencil.

This gave you irregular shapes with scalloped edges, like the classic Ambush pattern but...shittier.

I have no idea how that splinter pattern specifically was done, but it could have been anything from standard, factory-made templates to a bunch of conscripts with masking tape.

AOL CDs, having been produced in enough quantity to collapse upon their own weight, created a quantum singularity which hurled them back through time, falling like rain on the Wehrmacht's design studios. After the dust settled, the question of what the heck to do with them arose, and much to the surprise of the Starfleet officers that went to enforce the Temporal Prime Directive, all they could think of was camo patterning.

Poisonlizard posted:

I think I saw an AS-1 in the photos as well.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

The Germans gave us the 'Picasso Stug', which more than makes up for the god awful disk camo.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Hi, guys. I'm doing a build log for a Dragon Panzer IV over at /r/modelmakers and imgur. It's aimed at beginner-to-intermediate builders who want to try to tackle a more advanced kit. Check it out. I'd love to hear any feedback you may have on my processes.

All of the narrative is in the Imgur album itself, but any questions or comments that come up will be handled here or at the reddit thread.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Dragon armour needs a guide? In my experience it's pretty easy to fit together. Unlike Academy, where the fit of the parts seems to be more of a general idea than any actual engineering.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think that may be the exact kit I bought when I first got back into modeling about five years ago, and then promptly gave up on it because there were too many pieces and I got bored.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Gewehr 43 posted:

Hi, guys. I'm doing a build log for a Dragon Panzer IV over at /r/modelmakers and imgur. It's aimed at beginner-to-intermediate builders who want to try to tackle a more advanced kit. Check it out. I'd love to hear any feedback you may have on my processes.

All of the narrative is in the Imgur album itself, but any questions or comments that come up will be handled here or at the reddit thread.

Awww it's one of the smart kits. In my youthful stupidity I brought 4 or 5 of the Dragon pIV super kits (1200-1400ish parts) now I don't think I will ever find time to make them.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

Dragon armour needs a guide? In my experience it's pretty easy to fit together. Unlike Academy, where the fit of the parts seems to be more of a general idea than any actual engineering.

Being that I hang out mostly in places friendly to beginner modelers, yes. Too many people don't know, for example, that magic tracks require glue or that the shaded parts in the inventory aren't for use on a particular kit (despite the fact that the instructions explicitly state that). Also, most of their instructions are terrible. Again, this is aimed at beginners looking to move into more advanced kits.

Wibbleman posted:

Awww it's one of the smart kits. In my youthful stupidity I brought 4 or 5 of the Dragon pIV super kits (1200-1400ish parts) now I don't think I will ever find time to make them.

Oh yes. I've got a couple of those too. I debated on doing a Panzer IV Ausf. E 3-in-1 for this, but felt like doing a Kursk-era, long-barreled vehicle instead. Back in ~2007, I thought I'd get into modeling, so I bought Dragon's Tiger I initial 3-in-1 kit. I'm so, so glad I had enough sense to open the box, look at the parts, then quietly put it on the shelf for many years. I never did get into modelling then, but I did end up building the kit a couple years ago and it was very clear how out of my league it would've been as a first-time kit.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think that may be the exact kit I bought when I first got back into modeling about five years ago, and then promptly gave up on it because there were too many pieces and I got bored.

But them mold details, yo! Seriously, that's what I love about Dragon poo poo. It's so crisply molded and detailed right out of the box that I'm willing to put up with stupid engineering choices and bad instructions to reach the end result. Tamiya's newer stuff is almost on par detail wise and far exceeds Dragon in ease of build, but I keep returning to those faithful green boxes. It's kind of an abusive relationship, really.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Even ancient Tamiya stuff is at the very least easy to build. Unless you want to get rid of the motorization holes I guess.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gewehr 43 posted:

Also, most of their instructions are terrible. Again, this is aimed at beginners looking to move into more advanced kits.

This. Dragon instructions are like Ikea instructions, taken to an insane degree. Instead of "Put part A into Part B" it's "Put Parts A through ZZ into part 27B-6, part 27B-6 not included with kit. Use all parts included with kit, but don't not use every other part if part is included leftwise".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
People who complain about Dragon instructions need to be introduced to Eastern European fly-by-night manufacturers who shove their entire instructions on one side of a single sheet of toilet paper. The other side is a painting guide for a single colour "unknown unit" colour scheme.

Then again, the last Dragon kit I assembled omitted step 2 from the instructions completely, so maybe you're onto something.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Gewehr 43 posted:

Cool log, it got me all excited about getting a complicated larger scale kit.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ensign Expendable posted:

People who complain about Dragon instructions need to be introduced to Eastern European fly-by-night manufacturers who shove their entire instructions on one side of a single sheet of toilet paper. The other side is a painting guide for a single colour "unknown unit" colour scheme.

Then again, the last Dragon kit I assembled omitted step 2 from the instructions completely, so maybe you're onto something.

It's not limited to fly-by-night manufacturers. Constructo is an Italian company, and the instructions for the rigging on my 2 masted schooner I made from them consisted of a couple of color photo's from really bad angles that were 3" x 2" approximately, and 2 sentences that boiled down to "finish the ship by doing the rigging as shown on those 2 photo's". Uh.. yea... sure.

Luckily there are plenty of resources to figure out how to rig a mid 19th century schooner or I'd have been so boned.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Tiny Train Table update #3:

How the hell do you guys keep your layout-tables clear of clutter before you finish landscaping? Tools, extra track etc always seems to pile up wherever there isn't track laid yet.

Foam base laid, basic track loop and part of the main switchyard is in place. There's still a lot of track that needs to be replaced with newer parts, but it's good enough for screwing around. The layout gets slight modifications each week to the layout to improve running and expand as parts arrive. This week's tweaks involved replacing a lot of the old track-curves with flex track, and adding the engine shed siding.

Narrow-gauge loop is there to test locomotives on, not as part of the final layout.

Click for lovely phone pictures

Next week's work will be to sort out the wiring mess under the table, prepare the electric bus, and retrofit DCC on to the remaining DC locomotives. Mercifully we hunted down a local Hornby shop, and they sell flex-track with the correct sleepers for H0, and NMRA compatible decoders.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This. Dragon instructions are like Ikea instructions, taken to an insane degree. Instead of "Put part A into Part B" it's "Put Parts A through ZZ into part 27B-6, part 27B-6 not included with kit. Use all parts included with kit, but don't not use every other part if part is included leftwise".

In some cases, that's giving them more credit than they're due. I've had several kits - notably one of their T-34's - that just straight up failed to call out parts altogether. Like big parts. The rear hull plate, for example wasn't called out, it just showed up in a certain step without any reference. The best part is that there were two similar - but not identical - rear plates in the kit and I, of course, glued the wrong one on.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I've stumbled upon the best model work i've ever seen anywhere.

At http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=54588&pageNo=1 , a guy has spent the last few years building a hyperdetailed 1/8 scale Mercedes 540K Special Roadster. From scratch. In Metal.

Unfortunately in German, but you can simply scroll past the talky bits, we're just discussing beer, bratwurst and conquering Europe.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Greyhawk posted:

At http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=54588&pageNo=1 , a guy has spent the last few years building a hyperdetailed 1/8 scale Mercedes 540K Special Roadster. From scratch. In Metal.

Unfortunately in German, but you can simply scroll past the talky bits, we're just discussing beer, bratwurst and conquering Europe.

Google Translate worked pretty well.

This is like the car-equivalent of a scratch-built ship model.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Greyhawk posted:

How in the name of god is he fabricating all those metal bits?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Greyhawk posted:

That reminds me of the amazing 1/6 scale model Deusenburg that is on display in the museum in Carlsbad, CA. Pictures can be found here - http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Chenot.htm (scroll down quite a ways for a big batch of photo's that are clickable). There are also links on that page to the video's of them starting the engine.. what? Yes, the tiny little engine runs as an actual internal combustion engine, not electric or air.

Some people in the world are just amazing craftsmen and build amazing things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

N17R4M posted:

How the hell do you guys keep your layout-tables clear of clutter before you finish landscaping? Tools, extra track etc always seems to pile up wherever there isn't track laid yet.

You don't

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Greyhawk posted:

This is extremely my poo poo. I'd love to do work like this one day. Scratchbuilding is the one aspect of scale modeling that I have never done, and I won't feel like I'm truly skilled until I can build something by scratch. If you guys like this, this dude is scratchbuilding a Cooper T-51 - http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22847

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gewehr 43 posted:

The lift hooks... oh god, the lift hooks. :negative: