Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Woolie Wool posted:

I will download that mod. How high is her WIS?

Fighter dualed to Cleric after level 7 is entirely possible as an early recruitable NPC in SoD, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hey man just give Beamdog the benefit of the doubt. We haven't seen the "improvements" for all we know it could just be more dialogue about the character's backstory or even a mini quest involving them.

It's unlikely they taketh with one hand but giveth with the other, sadly.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hey man just give Beamdog the benefit of the doubt. We haven't seen the "improvements" for all we know it could just be more dialogue about the character's backstory or even a mini quest involving them.

I really hope the "improvements" involve an expansion of the character's presence and backstory if only because it puts pressure on the facetious "I'm not upset because there's a transgender character, only that she's poorly written!" line of reactionary complaint.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

But the "ethics" is so funny you guys and totally meshes with Minsc's character who cares so much about "ethics". Wow I cannot utter this word without giggling, it so hilarious

Haha, ethics, haha, so funny...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Oh lord the new new UI is so very nice. How did the first one ever get past any playtesting? The new new one is such an insane improvement it takes my breath away.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bholder posted:

But the "ethics" is so funny you guys and totally meshes with Minsc's character who cares so much about "ethics". Wow I cannot utter this word without giggling, it so hilarious

Haha, ethics, haha, so funny...

Yes, that's been a running joke on the internet for over a year now, you're right.

Also from what I've read Mizhena is apparently already a quest giver? I'm not sure where they could expand that beyond making her a playable NPC. It would be hilarious if they gave you a quest where you had to track down HRT for her though. Even better if you get to out CHARNAME along the way as trans.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Arivia posted:

Yes, that's been a running joke on the internet for over a year now, you're right.

That's the issue though. It wasn't funny the first time it appeared nor the thousandth time people started to parrot it.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Bholder posted:

That's the issue though. It wasn't funny the first time it appeared nor the thousandth time people started to parrot it.

But it puts people I don't like in their place, I being a perfectly normal human being who expresses my socio-political beliefs through the videogames I play.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bholder posted:

You don't find it funny, ergo what? It should be removed? If every joke that some people didn't find funny was removed from the series Minsc wouldn't even be appearing at all

rakovsky maybe posted:

But it puts people I don't like in their place, I being a perfectly normal human being who expresses my socio-political beliefs through the videogames I play.

Wait, which side of the argument are you on? Because the ones trying to enforce their sociopolitical beliefs on a video game are the ones who were whining about it being there and demanding it be removed

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Well, who amongst you can honestly say you never at least experimented with the girdle of masculinity/femininity?

Just loaded it up - the Minsc line comes right after he says a parody line referencing Baby Got Back. Yep, can't mention GamerGate in the midst of high fantasy dialogue like that (not to mention the day coming where Tiax will point and click!)

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Arivia posted:

Also from what I've read Mizhena is apparently already a quest giver? I'm not sure where they could expand that beyond making her a playable NPC. It would be hilarious if they gave you a quest where you had to track down HRT for her though. Even better if you get to out CHARNAME along the way as trans.
No, but she's involved in several quests. From memory:
1. You expose a traitor during Safana's personal quest, Mizhena plays a small role because said traitor took something of hers.
2. There's a fence in your camp that asks you to steal some things from the crusader camp, one of which is a holy symbol of the Red Knight. You can trick Mizhena into telling you about a way of obtaining that holy symbol by beating the cleric that has it in a game of Elf Chess.
3. You can maybe ask her about her reasons for joining the fight against Caelar? There's a quest where you get to do that, but I don't know if you can ask her about it.

I'm pretty sure there's another one she's involved in I'm forgetting right now.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

She actually gets a pretty funny (to me) moment in one quest. You come into possession of a stolen object and you go up and ask if its hers. She gets angry and calls you a thief after which you can either politely apologise and insist she is mistaken or you can aggressive back and threaten to hit her. If you are nice to her she gets madder and madder because she thinks you are a weasel but if you act aggressive you get into a kind of insult battle with her until she laughs and decides you are a real warrior and wouldn't be a cowardly thief.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You don't find it funny, ergo what? It should be removed? If every joke that some people didn't find funny was removed from the series Minsc wouldn't even be appearing at all

No, but it won't be missed.

Also we wouldn't have this shitshow in the first place if not for that one line, but hey this pissed off a bunch of people and that wins me internet points or something.

Acaila posted:

Just loaded it up - the Minsc line comes right after he says a parody line referencing Baby Got Back. Yep, can't mention GamerGate in the midst of high fantasy dialogue like that (not to mention the day coming where Tiax will point and click!)

Thing is, Baby Got Back doesn't remind me of a lovely slapfight that's been going on way too long and the last thing we need is to keep reminding people that it still exists.

It does however remind me that Anaconda exists which just barely reaches the same level of annoyance.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Bholder posted:

No, but it won't be missed.

Also we wouldn't have this shitshow in the first place if not for that one line, but hey this pissed off a bunch of people and that wins me internet points or something.
To be fair, they still would've gotten angry over the trans character for no loving reason. The Minsc line was dumb but I think it's equally dumb they're giving into pressure from nerds and removing it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Pwnstar posted:

She actually gets a pretty funny (to me) moment in one quest. You come into possession of a stolen object and you go up and ask if its hers. She gets angry and calls you a thief after which you can either politely apologise and insist she is mistaken or you can aggressive back and threaten to hit her. If you are nice to her she gets madder and madder because she thinks you are a weasel but if you act aggressive you get into a kind of insult battle with her until she laughs and decides you are a real warrior and wouldn't be a cowardly thief.
Yeah, that was funny. Cool quest overall, too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rakovsky maybe posted:

Hey this is literally how human culture works, thanks, hope this helps.

Also lol at Bholder's new avatar.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Jimmies were rustled.

If only my posts wouldn't be that huge, jesus christ...

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Again, though, two lines of dialogue, one of which is an easter egg.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Poorly.

To use my BG character as an example, with XP divided between six characters she'd not be sitting on 21 million XP - being a level 28 mage with multiple level 9 slots, letting her do things like cast Time Stop then hitting everyone with Assassination then Time Stopping again and again and again until everything is dead - she'd be sitting on 7 million XP and would only just get her first level 7 spell at the end of the game.

Multiclasses are better in small parties. Triple classes are only at all passable in small parties and preferably solo.
Update: realizing that the party's Monk would reach level 3 before the FMT would level one class for the first time (Thief, obviously :toot:) was not a great moment. For now being able to cast Sleep and shoot a bow makes him MVP anyway, as these things go with Fighter/Mage combinations, but then again I'll soon have to fight all those Sleep-immune undead in the Vale of Shadows.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Pwnstar posted:

Improving the NPC is code for expanding her into a follower

:getin:

Yes do this :getin:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I can't stop restarting BG1 because I was unhappy with my character or etc...

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

LowellDND posted:

Yes do this :getin:

That would be the best thing. The idiotic drama would probably hit a ridiculous high.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Luisfe posted:

That would be the best thing. The idiotic drama would probably hit a ridiculous high.

It would be smart because it would drive a wedge between the moderates and the people who would have a problem with it no matter what. David Auerbach had a good article on that type of strategy over a year ago.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

:stonk:

:stare:

:c00lbert:

Edwin is now officially the man.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

rakovsky maybe posted:

Is it okay if we invert it? Say, instead of Minsc saying something associated with reprehensible misogynists, we could have Viconia say 'Surfacers don't understand that black lives matter'?

:shrug:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mordaedil posted:

I thought he was going to be a beanie nerd, but that man is a national treasure. I would aspire to such a glorious beard one day.

I wanna discuss some of the improvements that SoD have made to Baldur's Gate, because holy crap, they are so glorious it is a shame it gets drowned in pretty much everything else. The wonderful map zooming where particle effects are still playing, the inventory management made so much better, the statistics breakdown of weapons, the new spell books which are a marked improvement on the old (imo, opinion may vary naturally) and the way dual-wielding or using shields can now be done even with a bow on another item slot, that all the buttons on the toolbar are tied to function keys meaning it is easier to spam lockpicking for once, rotating quicksaves, new portrait system (the old one was such shite in a way), quick loot button, bless that thing, and all of the small things you can click on and off to tailor your experience, this really makes this game out to be the definitive way to play Baldur's Gate for me right now.

Absolutely.

I'm also pretty sad that Schael Corwin isn't a NPC in BG2. I didn't really like Neera, Dorn or Rasaad but Corwin is fantastic so far and it makes me sad that she's Dragonspear-only. I'd pay to have her as a BG2 NPC, too.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Something has gone wrong, the goblins spawned in such numbers that the game crashed. The next time I loaded I just turned on story mode, turned off party AI, and fled Peldvale with dozens of goblins in pursuit. Another area had around 10 Bugbears. What the gently caress is going on? Is this some copy protection that triggered because I run the modded game from outside the Steam folder to prevent patches from breaking it?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 7, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Absolutely.

I'm also pretty sad that Schael Corwin isn't a NPC in BG2. I didn't really like Neera, Dorn or Rasaad but Corwin is fantastic so far and it makes me sad that she's Dragonspear-only. I'd pay to have her as a BG2 NPC, too.

Definitely true. I don't mind most of the EE companions really, but Corwin's the only one I've really liked. I found Neera okay after a very poor first impression too, Baeloth is entertaining enough but a bit hammy, never really had any issue with Rasaad or Hexxat (even if the latter had a lot of bugs in her quests when I brought her along, just after BG2EE launched) but they're kind of boring, and I'm using Dorn for the first time in my current playthrough and to be honest he's insufferably annoying. Not used any of the other SoD NPCs yet but not had great first impressions of them - goblin lady seems okay but first impression was boring in the vein of Rasaad/Hexxat, while the other two made quite poor first impressions. But Corwin is definitely great so far, better than at least any of the 'serious' companion in the original games to be honest except maybe Mazzy.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Glint grew on me, although he's not getting any points for originality.

And Corwin is great, but if there's one thing BG2 doesn't need it's more good-aligned fighter types.

cheesetriangles posted:

I can't stop restarting BG1 because I was unhappy with my character or etc...
Play a Fighter/Illusionist and live in eternal bliss.

Woolie Wool posted:

Something has gone wrong, the goblins spawned in such numbers that the game crashed. The next time I loaded I just turned on story mode, turned off party AI, and fled Peldvale with dozens of goblins in pursuit. Another area had around 10 Bugbears. What the gently caress is going on? Is this some copy protection that triggered because I run the modded game from outside the Steam folder to prevent patches from breaking it?
What mod adds those goblins and bugbears? I've seen those goblin elites you posted screenshots of before, but I don't remember where they're from.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I for one thought that Corwin was great in 90s teen movie, "She's All That." It's nice to see that she ditched that Freddy Prince Jr. clown and became a badass merc captain.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

deadking posted:

I really hope the "improvements" involve an expansion of the character's presence and backstory if only because it puts pressure on the facetious "I'm not upset because there's a transgender character, only that she's poorly written!" line of reactionary complaint.

:madmax:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Make her a companion, and have her stick around into BG2 and ToB. :getin:

"Oh, you guys kept saying you wanted her to have more writing! We are just doing what the fans wanted!"

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

What mod adds those goblins and bugbears? I've seen those goblin elites you posted screenshots of before, but I don't remember where they're from.

If I knew, I would turn it off! One big mob of goblins is fine, but enough goblins to tank my framerate and ultimately crash the game is not good.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i think SCS had the goblin elites but not bugbears. do they have the iwd2 animation? list your mods.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Woolie Wool posted:

Thats amazing :allears:

Rookersh posted:

Make her a companion, and have her stick around into BG2 and ToB. :getin:

"Oh, you guys kept saying you wanted her to have more writing! We are just doing what the fans wanted!"

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Did they add any QoL features like faster walking or do you still need to teleport all the time?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

OK, hopefully I can remember all of them. Many of these have only some of their components installed:

* BG2 Tweak pack
* Big World Fixpack
* Ascalon's Questpack
* Subtledoctor's APR Fix
* aTweaks (different tweaks than the ones in BG2 TweakPack)
* BG1 NPC
* BG1 Unfinished Business
* BGEE Classic Movies
* BGEE Weapons and Armor pack (two vendors selling high-end armors at the Friendly Arm)
* Dark Side of the Sword Coast EE
* Faiths and Powers
* Might and Guile
* Tome and Blood
* Song and Silence
* Scales of Balance
* IWDification (spells only)
* Kit tomes
* More Style for Mages
* Neera extension for BG1 NPC
* Rogues Rebalancing
* Sirine's Call
* SCS (spell tweaks only...I hope :ohdear:)
* The Picture Standard
* Pack Mule
* Wizard Slayer Rebalancing

...I will not install this many ever again, regardless of whether BWS says there are no conflicts. The goblin sprites are shown in those screenshots, I have never played IWD2 so I can't say whether they are from IWD2 or not.

E: Confirmed that no monster or encounter changes are installed in SCS.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 7, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So Baldur's Gate is calling me again.

What character class do you reckon the Bhaalspawn is most likely to be? I think the book plays him\her as a fighter, but the book is atrocious so we won't go there.

I was thinking Sorcerer? A kid who grows up around scholars would probably end up a big of a book nerd, but since that kid is Bhaalspawn, they're meant to have a lot of innate power. So I would figure a Sorcerer over a Wizard. However, that upbringing of being around books all the time, combined with a lot of innate power means a monk makes a fair bit of sense as well. I also don't think it'd be too hard to imagine the kid training with the guards, so a combat class like a Fighter makes sense. If the kid has been a right royal little poo poo, then I could understand being a Thief like Imoen. I didn't get the impression that Candlekeep was overtly religious, but again with the scholarly background, I could see a Cleric making sense as well.

I couldn't really imagine a Barbarian being bought up at Candlekeep. Or a Druid for that matter...

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

For BG2, what's more powerful: an Archer with slings or a Kensai with throwing axes?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Does SoD retain the lack of insane respawning that normal BG1 had when run on a modern computer. I guess some people might have liked the respawns due to the challenge but i always found it to be a major frustration (and if u want a challenge just crank up the difficulty) - i recall skipping certain dungeons entirely before BG1EE, esp one with kobald commandos w/ their fire arrows on top of the super narrow passageways that after disposing of are instantly right back there in the fog waiting for you again.

Also a question for those who have played regarding Imoen in SoD. I've read that she's out of action in SoD due to her mage dual classing by default in SoD and how they decided to write this into the plot instead of how u are left to come to ur own conclusions in BG2. I'm almost done with my long term BG1EE blade w/ canon party play-though where dualing Imoen isn't exactly sensible/something that would be enjoyable for me, esp doing so at lvl 7 as she begins in BG2, since she's the sole thief in my party, but im really curious as to exactly what the new storyline's explanation for why she suddenly decides to dual to a mage is...in my own mind i always considered it to be Irenicus doing creepy experiments on her and unlocking a bit of latent power (beyond it being done because it was assumed many ppl did dual her in BG1 or the obvious plot of her getting captured for casting and sent to Spellhold) which coincides why she's suddenly all emo in BG2 as well.

I can't decide if I like the changes to the character sprites (in addition to some of the other graphic/interface changes) which I noticed after my BG1EE was updated via Steam, right away they reminded me of how characters looked in Ultima Online. I am looking forward to trying it out once my BG1 game is finished (and if I don't like it then I will just go directly to BG2, no big deal). I do admire Beamdog's commitment to the classic Infinity games (esp once the bugs get worked out) that were my absolute favorites during my peak PC gaming years.

It's kind of a bummer regarding all the horseshit has tarnished the popular opinion and overshadowed the quality of the game which will very likely impact their revenue and ability to keep doing what they do (i sincerely have no idea why ppl are still talking about something that was so insignificant, idk maybe its because i really dont know much at all about "gamergate" and dont really care to). Instead of continuing to post about it, more people w/ copies of SoD that have played it should instead take the time to post their honest opinions about playing the game itself and whether they like it or not, of course on places that aren't getting spammed by morons from either side.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Woolie Wool posted:

OK, hopefully I can remember all of them. Many of these have only some of their components installed:
I have no idea what The Picture Standard is, but my money's on Dark Side of the Sword Coast. That mod definitely adds a ton of creatures, hasn't ever been bug-free as far as I know, and I remember some BGT-specific issues as well.

H13 posted:

I couldn't really imagine a Barbarian being bought up at Candlekeep. Or a Druid for that matter...
Give your Barbarian low Intelligence, books have always made them angry.

Druid makes sense because Gorion's friends with Druids, I guess.

But yeah, Sorcerer makes the most sense to me.