Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014
Looking at getting a used D800, but I read many bad reports about it though. Focus hunting issue, green tint issue, left focus points issue etc. Any D800 owners with hands on experience had these issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've had a D800 since essentially when they came out—got mine March of 2012. I've encountered no focus hunting issue, not sure I'd even heard of that one? Remember people talking about some kind of green tint issue but I never had it, and I vaguely remember it being more about how the display looked than an actual issue with the photos. Left focus point I remember being a thing for some people but it never affected me. All of them seem pretty overblown honestly. It's a great camera.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Happy d800 owner here. I got mine at launch and it's been a champ. I do have one bug with mine; it will occasionally pause while writing the buffer to the card. The buffer will continue to fill and you can shoot, but you won't see the photo review screen for 10-15 seconds. It's rare but annoying. I remember Nikon doing a recall fix for this early, but never gave enough of a poo poo to send mine in.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have had a used one for some time now and not had any of the issues you mention it has been a solid workhorse.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Feel like bragging a little bit. Picked up a 55mm f2.8 AI-s Micro and a 200mm F4 AI-s today for $20 each. Both in pretty good shape (a few minor dings, but glass is perfect). I am really rounding out my collection of manual focus primes which already includes a 24mm 2.8 AI-s and a 105mm 2.5 AI. I think I just need to find a 35mm and an 85mm to really complete the set. :homebrew:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No love for the 135 2.8? I don't think it's supposed to be quite as good as the 105, but I got mine cheap and it's fun to play with.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Good haul, the 55 micro 2.8 is probably my favorite ~50mm lens, it's just so good.

i've also never actually used it for macro.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

StraightFace posted:

Looking at getting a used D800, but I read many bad reports about it though. Focus hunting issue, green tint issue, left focus points issue etc. Any D800 owners with hands on experience had these issues?

Never heard of focus hunting issue, but the green tint on the back LCD and left focus issues were a problem with some cameras from the first batch. Nikon fixed them free of charge, if I remember correctly, so unless you are buying it from someone who never really used it, it should be fine. I got a D800 from the early run of that camera and had no issues with it.
It is a solid workhorse with great resolution and fantastic DR. I would highly recommend it. Been with me across the globe and is still ticking.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

StraightFace posted:

I've been using one for about three years and pretty much all my complaints can only be solved by trading up to something more expensive. Unless you need consistently accurate focus on a bird flying directly at you, fast frame rates or a huge buffer, the D800 will probably be a great camera for you.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 2, 2016

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014
Thanks, probably going to get the D800 then. Thinking of using it with the new 80-400 for wildlife. Will that be a good combo?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you could spring the extra for a D500 once it's out it might be worth it. Super high FPS, probably better AF, large buffer, and APS-C will all be more useful for most wildlife than higher resolution and FF.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

StraightFace posted:

Thanks, probably going to get the D800 then. Thinking of using it with the new 80-400 for wildlife. Will that be a good combo?

Nikon's 200-500mm or Sigma's 150-600mm Sport lens would probably be a better lens choice for wildlife. Nikon's updated 80-400mm is really underwhelming for its price.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, if you can afford it, the best combo at the moment for birds and wildlife is the D500 + 200-500mm.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Anybody know anything about the Nikon FA? It's basically my dream camera - manual focus, matrix metering through AI-S lenses, program, shutter, and aperture modes. I've bought two of them in the past week, both broken with the exact same issue. One came from B&H with an 8+ rating listed as working, which makes me thinking I'm using this thing wrong.

Shutter priority and program mode are working the same as aperture priority as far as I can tell. Both modes never show an aperture in the LCD in the viewfinder. Shutter priority is just showing the shutter speed, and it changes with the meter - so the shutter speed is definitely not being set.

Should I just keep buying until I find a working one? Am I doing this wrong?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The FA is really finicky. I'm 0/2 too.

iirc there's some kind of shutter speed override that might display the shutter speed as one value but then actually shoot at a slower speed.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Wild EEPROM posted:

The FA is really finicky. I'm 0/2 too.

iirc there's some kind of shutter speed override that might display the shutter speed as one value but then actually shoot at a slower speed.

Yeah, cybernetic override (lol what a name) will display a corrected shutter speed or aperture if there is not enough light in the scene with the current settings. I'm now questioning if this is what was happening. I need to look through the FA manual one more time I guess.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this but I didn't see anything else.

I'm having a problem with my Nikon d3300. The command dial has stopped working. I can no longer change aperture or shutter speed. I've tried defaulting all the settings and upgrading the firmware but that hasn't helped.

Any suggestions?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

drowningidiot posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this but I didn't see anything else.

I'm having a problem with my Nikon d3300. The command dial has stopped working. I can no longer change aperture or shutter speed. I've tried defaulting all the settings and upgrading the firmware but that hasn't helped.

Any suggestions?

So literally nothing happens when you are in M mode, has an AF-S G lens attached, and then turn the dial?

Send it for service?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Karl Barks posted:

Should I just keep buying until I find a working one? Am I doing this wrong?

Have you considered an F4?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Startyde posted:

Have you considered an F4?

F4 is right on the edge of too big for me, but worth considering. I carry my camera around with my everyday, the FE was great for that. The FA is only very slightly larger.

Of course, I have figured out both cameras are working fine. The cybernetic override was the cause. I was just testing the cameras in my living room, which did not have enough ambient light to allow shutter mode to use the 125 shutter speed I had selected, so it was just forcing an override to pick one that would work. It's actually a smart way to handle it.

I also didn't realize the absolute widest aperture isn't required for program mode, just anything at or above 11. Welp, live and learn.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

nielsm posted:

So literally nothing happens when you are in M mode, has an AF-S G lens attached, and then turn the dial?

Send it for service?

Yeah nothing at all. It was working fine and then just stopped. I will probably have to send it in, I was just hoping I'd missed something obvious but I don't think so.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Any battery recommendations for the D7100? I have purchased STK and Wasabi batteries for other cameras, and since I am a wishy washy person who cant make his mind up I now have a D7100 with a single OEM battery (man, I did forget how long DLSR batteries last over their mirrorless cousins). Amazon reviews are mixed as usual .. so, your thoughts?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Any battery recommendations for the D7100? I have purchased STK and Wasabi batteries for other cameras, and since I am a wishy washy person who cant make his mind up I now have a D7100 with a single OEM battery (man, I did forget how long DLSR batteries last over their mirrorless cousins). Amazon reviews are mixed as usual .. so, your thoughts?

Just keep the single one you have. Like you said, the battery life is ridiculous so just charge it when it's low and you'll be fine? I might be misunderstanding the question.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

VelociBacon posted:

Just keep the single one you have. Like you said, the battery life is ridiculous so just charge it when it's low and you'll be fine? I might be misunderstanding the question.

I generally like to carry a backup with me, "just in case".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Nikon batteries for the camera aren't particularly expensive, I bought a second hand boxed one that had only been used once or twice as a backup. Some of the third party ones can be a crap shoot.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Nikon batteries for the camera aren't particularly expensive, I bought a second hand boxed one that had only been used once or twice as a backup. Some of the third party ones can be a crap shoot.

I'll just stick with Nikon branded then, no sense in spending $20 for possible junk.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I'll just stick with Nikon branded then, no sense in spending $20 for possible junk.

Seconding sticking with OEM's, whenever I've used off brands for DSLR or mirrorless, they last about 2/3 as long.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I would just eat the cost and get the Nikon one, as pricey as a Nikon battery is a bad cheap battery might just suck or in a extreme case kill the camera.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I am a rank newbie to Big Boy Cameras, but got a D200 from a friend who was moving. It's old, but he seemed to think it was fully functional when he sold it to me. I've gone through a thing to find out what all the buttons do, but the Mode and +/- buttons near the shutter button seem not to work. IE, when I hold them and use the command dials, they just adjust shutter/aperture as if I wasn't pressing a button. This is a little bit of a problem because the camera is in M mode and not P like I would like it to be and I can't find any other way to change that setting in a menu or something.

Am I missing something or is it likely the buttons just straight don't work? A much smaller problem is that the on/off switch seems to do nothing - the camera will always take pictures even when set to off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Mode button is how you change the MASP functionality on that model I believe, so yeah if the button is dead I don't think you're gonna have much luck.

Manual mode owns though! Maybe being forced into shooting out of your comfort zone will be a good thing once you get your head around it?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Mode button is how you change the MASP functionality on that model I believe, so yeah if the button is dead I don't think you're gonna have much luck.

Manual mode owns though! Maybe being forced into shooting out of your comfort zone will be a good thing once you get your head around it?

Yeah, probably. I primarily will be shooting still life (specifically scale models) so it's not like I need stuff to change on the fly, I can afford to tinker and trial and error and take as many shots as I need.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Spotted a AF-S DX VR 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED on clearance at a target for 90 bucks. Is that a price worth having? Or is it just the basic kit zoom lens?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Golluk posted:

Spotted a AF-S DX VR 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED on clearance at a target for 90 bucks. Is that a price worth having? Or is it just the basic kit zoom lens?

It's usually a lot more expensive but the lens itself is nothing too special.

e: That's actually not that great a deal they're around the same amount from KEH.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

Golluk posted:

The VR is nice along with the price, but you want the 70-300 vr if you can swing it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would get the tamron 70-300 VC USD instead.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

New smartphone app released: http://snapbridge.nikon.com/

Hopefully this one isn't complete poo poo

Edit: Android only for now, iOS coming summer-ish (?)

Edit 2: I did not pay enough attention. Since this uses Bluetooth, only new cameras that come BT-equipped can use the Snapbridge app. The rest of us are stuck with the poo poo-tastic, power-sucking Wireless Mobile Utility :suicide:

404notfound fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 20, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wow, it's not often an app comes out with an Android version before iOS. From a developer PoV, that doesn't make much sense at all.

My D7200 has NFC on it, that essentially means Bluetooth yeah? I've never seen it state BT specifically ever.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
From that webpage, only the D500 gets it :/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wow, it's not often an app comes out with an Android version before iOS. From a developer PoV, that doesn't make much sense at all.

My D7200 has NFC on it, that essentially means Bluetooth yeah? I've never seen it state BT specifically ever.

It's probably a way of slowly rolling out the software, similar to how many iOS apps will release in a smaller region before they put out their product in the US market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Quick question, can a lens have a significant effect on white balance?

Asking because last weekend I bought the Nikkor 35mm 1.8G DX, and while I haven't had much of a chance to try it out too much, last night when finally loading onto my pc I noticed the few shots I had taken around the house, in Lightroom quite a few of the pictures had a noticable red/orange tint, for example the grey/blackish furr of one of my dogs.,I do not recall this happening with my two previous lenses.

I'll see about posting some examples once I get home from work. But is this something that could feasibly be affected by the new lens or did I just find out my camera is dying just when I bought a new lens?