Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

Well, they did get a few decades of relative peace as the Empire kept shrinking. They may have ended up as bad parents, but thats entirely realistic; even the best of people can end up unprepared to raise a child. Especially one getting tugged around by light side and dark side influence.

Is it sad? A bit, But thats life. You have your good moments and your bad moments. Few people actually die peacefully in their sleep.

Ultimately what's more important is the question "was their failure necessary for the story?", and (in my opinion) it was; by leveraging this tragic element they've succeeded in creating a new Darth Vader figure that is just as menacing and pitiable as Anakin in the span of one film.

On top of that, their failure in enacting Everlasting Peace Forever allows them to tell a story more relatable to our current situation and our current generation. Han's (and eventually Leia's) failure and end becomes a noble, redemptive end, precisely because he tried to be Luke and make things right in spite of all odds, and even in failure has resulted in a huge influence in both Rey and Kylo (which puts Han in a similar role as Kenobi, insert poetry joke here).

I liked the delicious bit of role reversal for old Han in which he essentially played the Obi Won to these new upstarts. Here was a guy who scoffed at some foolish old man's tales of Jedi and how thing were before the empire and he eventually has to give a similar speech to the new generation about how things were before the New Republic. The exception being Han told the truth and just didn't disclose the information about the apprentice who killed all the new Jedi being his son. He didn't tell outright bullshit lies like Obi Won did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Real drat big shoes to follow. I'm optimistically hopeful A Boy and His Wookie is done well when so much hinges on the right charismatic actor being chosen for the part.

I would be 100% on board with the Han Solo Solo film if it were a small-scale story about Chewie raising him in a smuggler setting. Would be a neat reversal of significance and allow for a cool little 80's "little kid is the fantasy hero" nostalgia trip.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

poo poo dude, just look at the old EU.

no

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Terry Grunthouse posted:

Once Ben falls to the darkside and kills all the students, that's when Leia loses Han as well (she says this explicitly in the film).

Actually she says she lost them both when she sent Ben away in the first place, she doesn't specifically say it was after Ben went wacky. You could take that as meaning Han was not interested in sending Ben away to resolve whatever problem they were having with him, but Leia won the argument at the cost of the relationship between her and Han and the relationship between both of them and Ben...and Leia was wrong anyway. :black101: And at that point Han peaced out.

Her line is like "I never should have sent him away. That's when I lost him. ...that's when I lost both of you."

Personally one of my favorite interactions out of all this is Finn running up to Han after Kylo grabs Rey shouting "He took her! He took her!" and Han looks about a thousand years old (from grief, assholes) as he brushes Finn off with an "I know."

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The idea that TFA is "disrespectful" to Han is ridiculous. As far as mythic heroes goes, his end is a lot less tragic than theirs. Han actively participates in an effort to save the rest of the galaxy from the First Order and dies trying to bring his son back from the Dark Side.

Unless Han was some kind of space drunk who whipped Ben with a belt on a regular basis both he and leia are clearly not the villains in this part of the backstory.

G-III fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 6, 2016

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS

turtlecrunch posted:

Actually she says she lost them both when she sent Ben away in the first place, she doesn't specifically say it was after Ben went wacky. You could take that as meaning Han was not interested in sending Ben away to resolve whatever problem they were having with him, but Leia won the argument at the cost of the relationship between her and Han and the relationship between both of them and Ben...and Leia was wrong anyway. :black101: And at that point Han peaced out.

Her line is like "I never should have sent him away. That's when I lost him. ...that's when I lost both of you."
In the context of the entire conversation, it's relatively clear that she means she lost her son when she lost him to Snoke, whenever nebulous time that might have been post-sending him away to Jedi camp. The "it" they're dealing with is Ben falling to the dark side, not just decided to send him to train with Luke. In hindsight, they consider the moment that they sent him away to be their first mistake, as training with Luke began to bolster his use of the force and made him more appealing to Snoke, etc. Knowing what they know now, it seems they would have rather him stayed more like Rey, staying at home, suppressing his force abilities. At least that's how I read the scene; it seems relatively clear to me that they're not bad parents.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Isn't the whole reason why Luke even goes into self imposed exile because he personally felt like a failure?

feeling like a failure isnt the same as being a failure
people who see the ot heroes as failures are saying more about themselves and their expectations than the movie

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A trailer for Rogue One is debuting tomorrow on Good Morning America.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

G-III posted:

The idea that TFA is "disrespectful" to Han is ridiculous. As far as mythic heroes goes, his end is a lot less tragic than theirs. Han actively participates in an effort to save the rest of the galaxy from the First Order and dies trying to bring his son back from the Dark Side.

Unless Han was some kind of space drunk who whipped Ben with a belt on a regular basis both he and leia are clearly not the villains in this part of the backstory.

"Han Solo. You feel like he's the father you never had. He would've disappointed you."

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kly posted:

feeling like a failure isnt the same as being a failure
people who see the ot heroes as failures are saying more about themselves and their expectations than the movie

tbh while Han and Leia's deal is more thorny I have no problem saying that the guy who let his psychic monk school get Sandy Hooked by his nephew then abandoned the whole thing and peaced out to go chill on an island while the world burned has pretty clearly failed

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Gonz posted:

New troopers looking p. sweet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

tbh while Han and Leia's deal is more thorny I have no problem saying that the guy who let his psychic monk school get Sandy Hooked by his nephew then abandoned the whole thing and peaced out to go chill on an island while the world burned has pretty clearly failed

No.

The Jedi failed him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Madurai posted:

New troopers looking p. sweet.

drat right they are

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Pretty cool, but looks more like a Fallout character than Star Wars.

As far as teasers for teasers for ads for offshoot movies go, this was probably best-in-class though.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 7, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You guys didn't even link the teaser teaser :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaYv3Y8tyoQ

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I have no problem saying that the guy who let his psychic monk school get Sandy Hooked by his nephew then abandoned the whole thing and peaced out to go chill on an island while the world burned has pretty clearly failed

we dont really know the details of what happened but either way this is a statement you should really think about

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jewmanji posted:

Pretty cool, but looks more like a Fallout character than Star Wars.

As far as teasers for teasers for ads for offshoot movies go, this was probably best-in-class though.

I dunno, you can clearly see OT Stormtrooper design cues in the top and sides. It's really just the mouthpiece/snout that's radically different.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

turtlecrunch posted:

My picture was literally all of it; except the logo

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
How would you know the background is fire and not Velveeta cheese product without it in motion though

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope it's a redband trailer and Darth Vader calls someone a motherfucker.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

dengar that mummy gently caress

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is Darth Vader confirmed to be in Rogue One?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

Revealed too much of the movie, no interest in seeing it now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Darth Vader confirmed to be in Rogue One?

It's all hearsay based on the original Vader helmet sculptor being hired to do something for one of the new movies (but was probably the burnt TFA mask) and tall dudes being hired for stunt work.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I wouldn't be surprised if Darth Vader is in Rogue One, it would make sense if Darth Vader is chasing after the Death Star plans as that's what he is doing in the original Star Wars and James Earl Jones is still playing the character on Star Wars Rebels.

I wouldn't be surprised if Darth Vader is not in Rogue One, it would make sense if Darth Vader were excluded because his presence would clash with the attempt to make a film without larger than life Jedi figures.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Proposition Joe posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Darth Vader is not in Rogue One, it would make sense if Darth Vader were excluded because his presence would clash with the attempt to make a film without larger than life Jedi figures.

Nah, no clash. Vader is going to be a monster, a force-of-nature, more akin to a horror movie antagonist than the villainous lapdop he was in ANH-ESB.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pre ANH Vaders occupation is making sure the last of the Jedi are eliminated. He doesn't get tasked with retrieving the Death Star data tapes until they're even stolen to begin with. The only reason for him to be in Rogue One would be for a brief cameo and for the OMG Vader Hype that it would certainly generate if there's even a hint of him in the trailers.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Vader vs Ahsoka was really good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hiddenriverninja posted:

Vader vs Ahsoka was really good.

Yeah; that whole interaction was quite well done.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I really love Star Wars Rebels.

And I just watched Force Awakens again. That movie makes me do this --> :kiddo:

And then I sit down at my PC and theres a teaser for Rogue One.

Yay!

Hooray!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The cast seems way too small for a movie about stealing the deathstar plans.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Aside from the folks in that cast picture you also have Mads Mikkelson playing some type of Imperial, possibly the guy who feeds them info on the plans. It does seem like they're missing a big bad who chases the team down. Though there's been constant rumors of the ESB bounty hunters appearing in that capacity.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pops Mgee posted:

The cast seems way too small for a movie about stealing the deathstar plans.

I would think a small strike team would be better for stealing plans rather than a huge assault force.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Let the ever loving nit picking about R1 commence!!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I want an EU sized cast with the plans changing hands 50 times for no reason.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Pops Mgee posted:

I want an EU sized cast with the plans changing hands 50 times for no reason.

If there's no Kyle Katarn I will quit this fandom forever, I swear

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Zoran posted:

If there's no Kyle Katarn I will quit this fandom forever, I swear

Kyle died on the way back to his home planet.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Why would you want Kyle Katarn when you could have DASH RENDAR!!!!!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Why would you want Dash Rendar when you could have Manny Both-Hanz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

I have never been more apathetic towards a movie.

• Locked thread