Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Capntastic posted:

Adepts headbutt reality into getting what they want from their personal obsessions. They don't care about the zeitgeist at all. You can be the only person in the world who cares about pogs and still have one hell of a Slammer whammy.
Possibly, but using the example of videomancers in particular, their magick works because they truly believe that total strangers watching The X-Files at 9:00pm every Friday night "together" was more meaningful than any other form of human contact they could have. For them, the collapse of network programming must be like a scribe witnessing the Bronze Age Collapse.

I don't think any adepts could weather society changing in such a way as to make their school irrelevant without having a breakdown. It would just be a lot harder for some schools than others. (For example, how could the precepts of Epideromancy or Entropomancy be made irrelevant, barring some transhuman singularity?)

oriongates posted:

Of course, with videomancers the death of the school is largely just a matter of the mechanics of their school screwing them over. It was pointed out in Fatal and Friends that in modern broadcast TV you easily get screwed on the whole "miss no reruns" part of their Taboo. There's just too many shows being broadcast on too many channels for many of them to keep up, getting them trapped by their own obsession and then helpless due to constantly breaking taboo.

GimpInBlack posted:

At a guess? A series of cascading Self tests every time they have to violate their taboo because the zeitgeist no longer supports their idiom.

(I don't think it's an official rule, but I've always felt like repeated taboo violations, even when you're out of charges, should have some teeth in the form of Self checks.)
I imagine a combination of these. Besides getting killed by doing stupid poo poo without easy access to charges, I envision a fair number of suicides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Goddamn, I love the new ed more and more each day I think about it. Stuff I wasn't fully convinced about initially seems smarter and better once I got over it just being different.

The new adept schools are good and fun, but feel more like a supplement bundle than a new baseline - apart from the brilliant GNOMON they lack the true :stare: factor, erring on the side of easy come easy go variety. Thankfully the evergreen oldies are portable with little to no effort, so there's little to complain here. And GNOMON is really, really baller.

Similarly, the Whisper War and March 3 2003 changes feel like interesting shake-ups of status quo for UA veterans, but not as cool on their own like the OG versions of the factions. If I ever get to run this (ha, ha, ha) I'd probably want to start with the factions as they were and break them down sometime along the campaign - but then again, 2003 and 2008 are so darn good milestones for shakeups. Then again, Comte/Freak switcheroo is a great unexpected twist to drop to challenge what the players were told all along and the Panama Papers affair could also work as a final nail in TNI's coffin (especially given the motif of major breach of trust).

I hope Atlas drops some character sheets/cheat sheets soon after kickstarter closes, because gamma version document having no table of contents and poo poo makes it kinda clunky to try and work in practice.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 5, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lichtenstein posted:

I hope Atlas drops some character sheets/cheat sheets soon after kickstarter closes, because gamma version document having no table of contents and poo poo makes it kinda clunky to try and work in practice.

Supposedly the character sheets are coming today. One for adepts, one for avatars, and one for everyone else.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Supposedly the character sheets are coming today. One for adepts, one for avatars, and one for everyone else.

Character sheets just dropped--they're in the same backer folder as the playtest drafts.

Maybe I'm just undercaffeinated, but the shock gauge/abilities section took me a while to parse, though once I got my head around it it works pretty well. The avatar/adept sections feel like they're trading usability for flavor--I don't see how you can fit useful information about taboos or spell/channel effects in those tiny-rear end boxes. Granted my handwriting is poo poo, but still. A second page for adept and avatar stuff would probably be more helpful.

That said, the sheets look really cool.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Holy poo poo those charsheets :swoon:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Yeah those character sheets...I don't like them. Like, not at all. So much space is wasted on useless stuff, there's basically no space to write anything relevant, unless you have very small and tiny handwriting.

I dunno, I suspect it's just me and my love for minimalism, but these are basically useless for me.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Oh wow, you aren't kidding at all. Those are straight up hideous examples of design over function. I would definitely hack together my own sheet to display that data.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
Old UA was amazing because you could fit your character sheet on a cocktail napkin. Does the new edition change things up enough that you now need a whole 8 & 1/2 x 11?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I always thought that the whole thing about magick schools "Dying" wasn't that the adepts themselves would lose power but that they aren't getting much new blood and would die out that way.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Elfgames posted:

I always thought that the whole thing about magick schools "Dying" wasn't that the adepts themselves would lose power but that they aren't getting much new blood and would die out that way.

I imagine that for practical purposes that probably kills most, if not all, dying schools. Cryptomancy is such a small school anyway that it'll likely lose all its active adepts due to death or madness before it actually becomes completely powerless...but the loss of power is certainly going to help them die off faster.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

GladRagKraken posted:

Old UA was amazing because you could fit your character sheet on a cocktail napkin. Does the new edition change things up enough that you now need a whole 8 & 1/2 x 11?

The new version is even more compact than the old, but is different enough that you do need a new sheet.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Australia would still have a ton of Videomancers. We recently went from 7 to 15 broadcast channels, everyone gets together to watch (and tweet about) MasterChef and soap operas, barely anyone has 'FOXTEL' (cable), Netflix just got started and is cracking down on VPNs...
I mean it's a living nightmare for real people, but for Adepts obsessed with cooking shows, home renovation shows and soap operas it must be heaven.
Wouldn't sports-obsessed Videomancers still work fine? Or could they just switch to watching the same viral video/Netflix binge as everyone else the second it drops?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 7, 2016

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Count Chocula posted:

Australia would still have a ton of Videomancers. We recently went from 7 to 15 broadcast channels, everyone gets together to watch (and tweet about) MasterChef and soap operas, barely anyone has 'FOXTEL' (cable), Netflix just got started and is cracking down on VPNs...
I mean it's a living nightmare for real people, but for Adepts obsessed with cooking shows, home renovation shows and soap operas it must be heaven.
Wouldn't sports-obsessed Videomancers still work fine? Or could they just switch to watching the same viral video/Netflix binge as everyone else the second it drops?

From a mechanical perspective there are still charging sources for Videomancers (especially, as you say, internationally). Things like news shows don't really have re-runs which means no minor charges but a safe, reliable shot of significant charges. Sports much the same.

From a thematic perspective they're in trouble. As their theme has always revolved around Television as a link to the collective unconsciousness, gaining power from the resonance of so many other people "tuned in" to the same thing they are, at the same time. As broadcast TV dies so does that shared audience, even things like news and sports are losing more and more of their audience to online or on-demand entertainment.

Now, as far as international stuff...presumably in countries where broadcast TV is still going strong and on-demand entertainment isn't nearly as prevalent, Videomancy could still find a niche. It's unclear exactly what the "minimum threshold" would be...UA has always been a little bit US-centric and even Global and Cosmic games don't really involve much international cultural thought outside of North America and Western Europe (for example, the fact that Asia dominates the world population but isn't really mentioned much in things like Ascension struggles).

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I want to write up some Australia-specific schools. I had an idea for a coffee-snob Adept, which I guess would be a variant of Dipsomancy, that was half-done. Their big victory was kicking Starbucks out of the country. I remember the Savage apparently lived in the Outback.
The most powerful artifact in the country is the schooner that former Prime Minister Bob Hawke drank out of when he won the Guiness World Record for drinking beer the fastest. We're also home to the most UA person who ever lived, a homeless guy who wandered around writing 'Eternity' on sidewalks and somehow had that immortalized during the 2000 New Year's Eve celebrations: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Stace

Maybe there could be a conflict between working class Videomancers who just watch free-to-air TV and the newer Adepts with their Netflixes and stuff. The ageless golems who host variety and morning shows could be a reliable source of horror.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Count Chocula posted:

I wonder if you could make a school out of people who are obsessed with watching viral videos before they go viral? Not trendsetters because they're still just consuming media and not creating it but like "I saw Gangnam Style when it only had 500 views" sort of thing.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You can make a school out of almost anything, thanks to the new advice on making schools up front in in the first book. That's one of my favorite improvements to the system in the new edition. The emphasis on rolling your own schticks will make new schools easier to balance.

I think a major school that hasn't been touched on yet is the YouTuber adept that gains charges from posting entirely inane bullshit to social media websites.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Impermanent posted:

You can make a school out of almost anything, thanks to the new advice on making schools up front in in the first book. That's one of my favorite improvements to the system in the new edition. The emphasis on rolling your own schticks will make new schools easier to balance.

I think a major school that hasn't been touched on yet is the YouTuber adept that gains charges from posting entirely inane bullshit to social media websites.

Time to make an LA Beast school of putting up videos of self-destructive acts.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Impermanent posted:

I think a social media mancer is one potential evolution of the Videomancer concept, shifting from isolated communion through the shared experience of watching network television to the paradoxical notion of having thousands of "Friends" that you barely even know, communing through retweets and upvotes. I would make it less about posting inane stuff and more about cultivating an online following comprised of faceless pseudonyms watching and following you at a distance, like the leader of an invisible and intangible cult. Breaking taboo would probably involve something along the lines of actually coming into contact with one of your followers in the real world. Posting inane stuff might allow you to cultivate the following you need, but as long as it generates likes and subscribes anything goes.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The Max Attax seemed to fulfill the role of Anonymous in the setting before Anonymous was even a thing.
Most Adepts strike me as the kind of people who aren't on Facebook for vague and confusing reasons.

Besides the big changes, I'd add fun things like every other Narco-Alchemist brewing up a batch of Blue Meth, but they all do different and contradictory things.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 7, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well by the sounds of things GNOMON is more or less Anonymous: the Adept School, and Sociomancy can easily plug in to any one of dozens of online social cliques from fandoms to chans to whatever. Most adepts weren't on Facebook back in UA2 because UA2 was published in 1998 and Facebook wasn't even founded until 2004.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I mean that even now and through the past 10 years Adepts would be those 'I don't trust social media/Facebook' people who you can only contact through e-mail or carrier pigeon or somethings.
Or they're 20 irony layers deep on Weird Facebook.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

We're also home to the most UA person who ever lived, a homeless guy who wandered around writing 'Eternity' on sidewalks and somehow had that immortalized during the 2000 New Year's Eve celebrations: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Stace

quote:

In 1963, photographer Trevor Dallen cornered Arthur and asked to take a few pictures of him writing his famous phrase. After four photos, Trevor ran out of film and asked for Stace to stay put while he got more film. Upon Trevor's return, Stace was gone.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

Inside the bell in the Sydney General Post Office clock tower, which had been dismantled during World War II. When the clock tower was rebuilt in the 1960s, the bell was brought out of storage and as the workmen were installing it they noticed, inside, the word "Eternity" in Stace's chalk. This is the only surviving "Eternity" by Stace's own hand in Sydney. (No one ever found out how Stace had been able to get to the bell, which had been sealed up).[citation needed]

The opera based on his life is pretty good (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oNEVwP-Xc0I), but playing a fictional urbanomancer in Sydney is pointless. He's better than anything I could make up.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 7, 2016

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The vestimancy taboo seems a little wimpy. How often does getting naked come up realistically in a game? You figure it should be like bibliomancy where you store charges in your bought or made clothes, and them getting ruined makes you lose a charge.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

SunAndSpring posted:

The vestimancy taboo seems a little wimpy. How often does getting naked come up realistically in a game? You figure it should be like bibliomancy where you store charges in your bought or made clothes, and them getting ruined makes you lose a charge.

Maybe, though I kinda feel vestimancy is less about clothes and more about being clothed - see the intro text for the school where it discusses the symbolic nature of outfits. I'd assume the weak nature of their taboo has been factored into the costs and abilities of their formulae or charging ability, though I'd only be slightly surprised if a few schools in the book hadn't been written according to the build-a-school rules.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Anyone else feeling a little underwhelmed with UA3? Love the new occult weirdness in book 3, but the system seems fiddly and the whole thing is kinda overwritten. I'm a huge Stolze fan but I'm probably going to end up running the new setting in some kind of Apoc World hack instead of using the stock rules. Maybe I just need to spend some more time rereading the rules stuff, but boy does it seem crufty as hell. (Also the new magic schools are laaaaaaaame).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Gun nut magic is pretty rad, I have to say. It's all about puffing yourself up and feeling important because of the power to commit violence you musn't actually use.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I really like most of the new schools. GNOMON will probably be a major component of my group's first game.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

I quite like the new schools too. Honestly, I feel like they are what characters are more likely to encounter in a game, rather than the "big" ones from previous editions. I mean. yeah there's booze magic and sex magic and chaos magic and so on...but adepts are supposed to be loving weird, so it just seems natural that a lot of them would instead obsess about guns, or clothing, or movie tropes or whatever, or just be servants of a entity that lives on the internet. It's the kind of, almost nonsense, weirdness that you would expect to encounter when coming in contact with the underground.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Even "chaos mage" always seemed like a pretty fancy title for people who get off on playing in traffic.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Agree that the current system is still way too fiddly; it still has a lot of sacred cows of 90s game design, like extensive grapple rules, and protracted healing times. Like the game can't decide whether it wants to be playable game, or the physics engine of a fictional world.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I kind of want to go for one of the patron tiers. Maybe an avatar of The Storyteller?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Greg's social media betrays that he does Jujitsu; that may explain the detailed grappling rules.

boymonster
Feb 1, 2013
RE: Character sheets. These are for the Gamma playtest, which means they're as ripe for feedback as anything else is.

I have this plan where I want to get, like, five different graphic designers to create alternate versions. Minimalist, functional, handwritten, etc. I still really like the ones Thomas has made, though.

Please note: I'm only really going to consider feedback about the game if you send it to me as part of playtest comments and notes. The internet is a big place full of people who love and hate everything, but I'm just one line developer with an inbox, so drop me a line there once the KS is done and you've tried the game out.

Peace,
Cam

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

boymonster posted:

I still really like the ones Thomas has made, though.

And that is a correct opinion, sir. I do hope there will be also an alternative for black and white printing, though!

PS. It's nice to see a Cool RPG Dude here on this dead forum.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Hey, I'll be interviewing Greg tomorrow for RPPR - any questions you guys want answered?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

clockworkjoe posted:

Hey, I'll be interviewing Greg tomorrow for RPPR - any questions you guys want answered?

For a UA question ask how Rooms of Renunciation are supposed to be used in a game, since "your character is totally different now" is bullshit for all sorts of reasons. They always came across more as a cosmic level punishment plot device more than like, a thing to interact with.

For a general question it'd be neat to hear his thoughts on the whole self-publishing/crowdfunding flow he's been in for a few years now, in terms of its successes and drawbacks.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

clockworkjoe posted:

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ask him, as someone who's seriously into Aikido, what his thoughts are on grappling rules in RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Ask him if he and/or John Tynes have considered bringing Unknown Armies into it's (very very early) roots and making a comic set in the setting? And if yes - how many souls and human hearts do they need to get the project off the ground? Because I know a guy, who knows a guy who's married to this chick that has a line on someone who can hook them up.