Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Two strokes is the correct amount of strokes for a fun motor. More is just wasteful.

That said, going karting on Saturday (just rentals, sadly) with some friends, that should be fun.

Then next weekend is Long Beach GP from Friday to Sunday and I'm so loving excited.

While I agree with your sentiment on two stroke karts. I can see why some people prefer the four stroke route between replacing wear components on the kart at an alarming rate, $1000 engine rebuild bills every season, an incredibly steep learning curve and feeling like you did a round with Mike Tyson after a day in one.

I'm trying to get into watching Indycar this year, I love all the US street circuits from 80s F1 and Indycar looks like they exclusively like they run those when they're not at ovals. Pretty stoked to watch modern Long Beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Sadly no, I was working. Really loving wanted to.

But we did go to the dirt track and watch cars hit each other in the figure 8, so that made up for it.

How much were tickets for St Pete? We paid 80 a ticket for our three day passes.

We got seats so it was 100 for the main race day on Sunday. General admission is a lot cheaper though with lots of areas to get a good view.

The seats outside of turn one are worth every penny though, best seats I've ever had other than turn one at Watkins Glen.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Edit^^^poo poo. That still seems high :( three day seated passes here started at 152, I think. But that's valuable beer money.

1500quidporsche posted:

While I agree with your sentiment on two stroke karts. I can see why some people prefer the four stroke route between replacing wear components on the kart at an alarming rate, $1000 engine rebuild bills every season, an incredibly steep learning curve and feeling like you did a round with Mike Tyson after a day in one.

I'm trying to get into watching Indycar this year, I love all the US street circuits from 80s F1 and Indycar looks like they exclusively like they run those when they're not at ovals. Pretty stoked to watch modern Long Beach.

I once daily commuted on a bike that needed a top end every 3-6 months depending how good my tuning skills were, and twice new rebuilds in less than a week. I may not be the right person to ask. I have such a hard on for smokers that it's not even funny.

And Indy is fun, especially recently. But about the only racing I seek out to watch any more is Moto3/2, motogp, and wsbk. Bike racing has gotten so loving good, while cars just...suck.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sigma X posted:

Vernor Vinge, folks. Don't forget my favorite book, A Fire Upon the Deep.

Deepness In The Sky was better :colbert:

But I think I like The Peace War better.

Or The Whitling if I want to be a hipster about it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Magnus Praeda posted:

I don't think anybody's recommended the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons yet, but those would fit the bill admirably.

There's also C. J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union stuff (and there's a LOT of it) that can be pretty fun to read.

Or perhaps you would be interested in Larry Niven? Ringworld is great and The Ringworld Engineers is also good. Or there's the stuff he did with Pournelle like Lucifer's Hammer or The Mote in God's Eye.

And then there's Heinlein. A lot of his stuff is just plain action-y.

Cherryh's Cyteen books are great. She's one of the few authors that writes geniuses who I am convinced are smarter than I, the reader, am.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

I'm a little scared/let down. some of my favs I haven't seen mentioned. P.F. Hamilton and Eric Flynn. Though I was delighted to see the honorverse mentioned, though I mostly stuck to the main arc, and was disappointed when that fizzled off into the rest of the 'verse.

You bunch of shut in nerds!

Double posting from the phone : I love the Honorverse, but I think his Safehold stuff is even better.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Just finished booking accommodations for the Continental Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca for the end of this month. It's been way too long since I've been on vacation/seen a race so this will be the perfect blend of both.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Liquid Communism posted:

Cherryh's Cyteen books are great. She's one of the few authors that writes geniuses who I am convinced are smarter than I, the reader, am.

It's because she's one of the few authors that's smarter than you, the reader, are. I've met her in person a few times and she's wicked smart.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

One of my buddies' brother got shot today trying to break up a fight. He's ok, but it kinda sucks when you're in the middle of a busy bar shift and you get a call saying your brother has been shot and is in the hospital. He didn't know what to do (he was in shock) so I said gently caress it, shut it down. So we closed the bar while the musician was playing and everyone looking around like wtf :v:

wtf

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

It's because she's one of the few authors that's smarter than you, the reader, are. I've met her in person a few times and she's wicked smart.

I'm a little jealous, I've spoken to her via email a couple times and that was definitely the impression I got as well.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

keykey posted:

Just finished booking accommodations for the Continental Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca for the end of this month. It's been way too long since I've been on vacation/seen a race so this will be the perfect blend of both.

So jealous. LS is one of my bucket list tracks.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Same. Laguna Seca is the poo poo, I will see some sort or race there one day. Also agree on bike racing, WSBK in particular has been awesome this year. The biggest issue is figuring out how the gently caress to watch it without paying through the nose for their streaming services.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 7, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
LS is a track day for me next month.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Liquid Communism posted:

Bookchat!

I'm a big fan of those. Dense, though. I try to not read real literature, besides the classics--I made it through The Road by Cormack McCarthy and that was about all I could stand from him. Just too depressing. I liked the Elenium because it was so ridiculous, and maybe because of nostalgia for Edding's earlier works. The sequels don't fare well, being a rehash of the originals like the Mallorean books were of Belgariad.

I own every Terry Pratchett novel. If you're looking for fast reading that can really make an impact, there's nobody better. Having that with real wit and humor makes it even more of a recommendation. I read Dan Simmons in high school and have re-read Hyperion many times since then. It's the high point of his sci-fi novels, but his horror is as good as anybody's out there. Song of Kali hits as hard as Pet Semetary, maybe harder. Stephen King has disappointed me many times since his accident, but he seems to be getting better since a little before 11/22/63 came out. I really enjoyed Joe Haldemon's Forever War, the sequels were so-so.

I like Jim Butcher and Joe Abercrombie , China Mievelle, Steven Erickson, Ben Aaronavitch and Brandon Sanderson, all for different reasons. I'm not a huge Patrick Rothfuss fan, I guess having too much hype makes disappointment more likely. The Dune books were generally good-to-fair for me, but I accidentally read God-Emperor right after Dune, then the last two of Herbert's real books. It was very confusing, and the library didn't get the second and third books until after I'd read them. I guess I should be lucky that small-town Alabama had a functioning library.

What else? I've read all of Louis L'Amour's novels because my uncle had the fancy leather-bound complete set. The Walking Drum is pretty good historical fiction set in the 12th-century Byzantine Empire. The rest are generally cowboy pulp. Strangely, Last of the Breed was the only book issued to me in Fort Benning during basic training, for whatever that's worth. It does have some good action sequences.

I guess I'm not a very selective reader. I read very quickly, so maybe it's not as much of an investment for me to read books that aren't the best. I don't mind pulp as long as it's entertaining.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PaintVagrant posted:

Same. Laguna Seca is the poo poo, I will see some sort or race there one day. Also agree on bike racing, WSBK in particular has been awesome this year. The biggest issue is figuring out how the gently caress to watch it without paying through the nose for their streaming services.

Somehow BeIN sports is included in my cable package, so I just DVR and watch later. I spent all day Sunday watching bike races. The Kawi/Ducati battle going on is glorious.

And MotoGP had one of the best last lap accidents I've ever loving seen this past weekend.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

But about the only racing I seek out to watch any more is Moto3/2, motogp, and wsbk. Bike racing has gotten so loving good, while cars just...suck.

One of the great bike races was Doolan / Gardiner / Rooney(sp) / Schartz / a couple others at Phillip Island just whaling on each other for the entire goddamn race without a single corner having the same leader int he early 90's. If you find video of it, you'll see I'm not kidding.

The thing is that as loving great as that race was, that style of racing has become common - I kind of think that that outrageous race really set a new tone for what MotoGP could be and to it's credit, it has lived up to it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

One of the great bike races was Doolan / Gardiner / Rooney(sp) / Schartz / a couple others at Phillip Island just whaling on each other for the entire goddamn race without a single corner having the same leader int he early 90's. If you find video of it, you'll see I'm not kidding.

The thing is that as loving great as that race was, that style of racing has become common - I kind of think that that outrageous race really set a new tone for what MotoGP could be and to it's credit, it has lived up to it.

Phillip Island is such a great track. I know the race you're talking about, but I can't find it right now. Last year's race with Ianonne nailing that loving skyrat was glorious, and I actually have a printed out still of it at my desk.

I just don't get how they've gotten MotoGP so right while absolutely ruining F1 and WRC. The riders have personality (except Lorenzo, gently caress that guy) and the racing is just loving magnificent.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Edit^^^poo poo. That still seems high :( three day seated passes here started at 152, I think. But that's valuable beer money.

I once daily commuted on a bike that needed a top end every 3-6 months depending how good my tuning skills were, and twice new rebuilds in less than a week. I may not be the right person to ask. I have such a hard on for smokers that it's not even funny.

And Indy is fun, especially recently. But about the only racing I seek out to watch any more is Moto3/2, motogp, and wsbk. Bike racing has gotten so loving good, while cars just...suck.

I wasn't a big fan but I love them now that I have my kart. The thing that sucks is that I have to take it to the kart shop to be rebuilt.

MotoGP is another one on my list, I watched one or two races last year. I'm always watching F1 even though it's a loving joke now. Although Haas has been absolutely awesome to watch this year and the midfield racing looks promising.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

wallaka posted:

Bookchat!

I'm a big fan of those. Dense, though. I try to not read real literature, besides the classics--I made it through The Road by Cormack McCarthy and that was about all I could stand from him. Just too depressing. I liked the Elenium because it was so ridiculous, and maybe because of nostalgia for Edding's earlier works. The sequels don't fare well, being a rehash of the originals like the Mallorean books were of Belgariad.

I own every Terry Pratchett novel. If you're looking for fast reading that can really make an impact, there's nobody better. Having that with real wit and humor makes it even more of a recommendation. I read Dan Simmons in high school and have re-read Hyperion many times since then. It's the high point of his sci-fi novels, but his horror is as good as anybody's out there. Song of Kali hits as hard as Pet Semetary, maybe harder. Stephen King has disappointed me many times since his accident, but he seems to be getting better since a little before 11/22/63 came out. I really enjoyed Joe Haldemon's Forever War, the sequels were so-so.

I like Jim Butcher and Joe Abercrombie , China Mievelle, Steven Erickson, Ben Aaronavitch and Brandon Sanderson, all for different reasons. I'm not a huge Patrick Rothfuss fan, I guess having too much hype makes disappointment more likely. The Dune books were generally good-to-fair for me, but I accidentally read God-Emperor right after Dune, then the last two of Herbert's real books. It was very confusing, and the library didn't get the second and third books until after I'd read them. I guess I should be lucky that small-town Alabama had a functioning library.

What else? I've read all of Louis L'Amour's novels because my uncle had the fancy leather-bound complete set. The Walking Drum is pretty good historical fiction set in the 12th-century Byzantine Empire. The rest are generally cowboy pulp. Strangely, Last of the Breed was the only book issued to me in Fort Benning during basic training, for whatever that's worth. It does have some good action sequences.

I guess I'm not a very selective reader. I read very quickly, so maybe it's not as much of an investment for me to read books that aren't the best. I don't mind pulp as long as it's entertaining.
Sanderson is pretty awesome a world building, y though it does take him on some weird seemingly unrelated tangents. Rothfuss sure as hell drew me in. Don't think I've read the rest you listed.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

Deepness In The Sky was better :colbert:

But I think I like The Peace War better.

Or The Whitling if I want to be a hipster about it.

Rainbows End is really good too.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1500quidporsche posted:

I wasn't a big fan but I love them now that I have my kart. The thing that sucks is that I have to take it to the kart shop to be rebuilt.

MotoGP is another one on my list, I watched one or two races last year. I'm always watching F1 even though it's a loving joke now. Although Haas has been absolutely awesome to watch this year and the midfield racing looks promising.

Why? Two stroke rebuilds are stupid easy.

MotoGP can be found pretty easily on YouTube if you can live with sacrificed quality. I was so angry that I moved to CA and they moved the goddamned race to Texas, though.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

ilkhan posted:

Sanderson is pretty awesome a world building, y though it does take him on some weird seemingly unrelated tangents. Rothfuss sure as hell drew me in. Don't think I've read the rest you listed.

Yeah, Rothfuss drew me in, then didn't do a goddamn thing for 1000 more pages. At least GRRM had the courtesy to get 4 books in before he pulled that trick. They both need editors.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Why? Two stroke rebuilds are stupid easy.

MotoGP can be found pretty easily on YouTube if you can live with sacrificed quality. I was so angry that I moved to CA and they moved the goddamned race to Texas, though.

There's a fairly good reason and that's that I'm poor as poo poo and everyone else feels fine dropping $10k on a kart chassis every few seasons, and if the engine isn't sealed and you can rebuild them yourself then suddenly I've got 32hp and everyone else has 50.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Doodie post the cider

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1500quidporsche posted:

There's a fairly good reason and that's that I'm poor as poo poo and everyone else feels fine dropping $10k on a kart chassis every few seasons, and if the engine isn't sealed and you can rebuild them yourself then suddenly I've got 32hp and everyone else has 50.

Ouch. That does indeed make it an easy choice.

Just sucks because you really can rebuild one in like two hours :( as a fellow poor I feel your pain. I want to race karts because it seems fun but god drat that poo poo is expensive. Bikes cost the same and go so much faster that I can't justify it.

Also, TT: as discussed in the hockey thread, email me your address at Choppeds10 at gmail.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Phillip Island is such a great track. I know the race you're talking about, but I can't find it right now. Last year's race with Ianonne nailing that loving skyrat was glorious, and I actually have a printed out still of it at my desk.

I just don't get how they've gotten MotoGP so right while absolutely ruining F1 and WRC. The riders have personality (except Lorenzo, gently caress that guy) and the racing is just loving magnificent.

F1 was always a shitshow TBH. WRC.... well it's not really the governing body that hosed that up, it's more 9 years of a loving robot with the kind of luck that could only possibly be had with a deal with Satan (*). Let alone the kind of whining fucks that got into a verbal brawl with Kaptain Ballistik about the poor dears having dust problems at Coffs Harbour last year. Michelle Mouton basically called the current crop of WRC drivers pansies... and she's right. Can you imagine half of those tossers doing a good old fashioned Acropolis or Ivory Coast?

Let alone the win or bin that so endeared Colin McRae to the masses is no longer there.

(*) I think Leob literally DID sell his soul. The man's luck was just loving unbelieveable - just as an eg, he and Gronholm belted the same rock at the same speed in an event. Loeb escaped with a scratched car. Gronholm lost a front corner

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

wallaka posted:

Yeah, Rothfuss drew me in, then didn't do a goddamn thing for 1000 more pages. At least GRRM had the courtesy to get 4 books in before he pulled that trick. They both need editors.

GRRM got to the Red Wedding then lost the plot completely (literally) - he just has no idea how to write the middle of a story. Tolkien you can see at about Window to the West was starting to fall into that same trap but he managed to get the plot going once Frodo and Sam get towards the Stairway into Mordor.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GRRM got to the Red Wedding then lost the plot completely (literally) - he just has no idea how to write the middle of a story. Tolkien you can see at about Window to the West was starting to fall into that same trap but he managed to get the plot going once Frodo and Sam get towards the Stairway into Mordor.

GRRM lost the plot in the middle of the first book. Still decent reads but gently caress me that dude writes a middle like King writes an ending.

Tolkien fell off in the very middle of two towers but came back hard.

And on the win it or bin it front, that's indeed what is missing from WRC and what has made the bikes so great. Just no regard for personal space or safety, gently caress you I'm going for it racing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Ouch. That does indeed make it an easy choice.

Just sucks because you really can rebuild one in like two hours :( as a fellow poor I feel your pain. I want to race karts because it seems fun but god drat that poo poo is expensive. Bikes cost the same and go so much faster that I can't justify it.

It really depends on how you look at it. I wanted a fast form of motorsports where I could run at the front on a four figure budget, and at the time my local autocross had guys buying $20k S2000s prepped to certain class rules, throwing on $$$ new Hoosier tires three times a season and other crap.

I spent $3.5k on my kart, $400 on a club membership that gives me a key to the track so I can go whenever I want, I fish my tires out of a pile that people throw their old ones into because they are "too old/heat cycled" and the one race I did last year I didn't qualify last despite my chain exploding a lap later because the engine wasn't bolted in correctly by the PO. Every way I did the math a competitive season of karting was cheaper than anything else and provided way more seat time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

does anyone make a power supply that connects through standard battery sockets (ie AAA size)? i've got a little pocket guitar amp and i'm on my second set of batteries since getting it in February. no power jack on it, and even if I cut a hole in the case I wouldn't know where to begin soldering one in.

i could just get a set of rechargable batteries but I figure why not eliminate the middleman?

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Enourmo posted:

does anyone make a power supply that connects through standard battery sockets (ie AAA size)? i've got a little pocket guitar amp and i'm on my second set of batteries since getting it in February. no power jack on it, and even if I cut a hole in the case I wouldn't know where to begin soldering one in.

i could just get a set of rechargable batteries but I figure why not eliminate the middleman?

C'mon man your'e an engineering major!

If it was me:
I'd take a wooden/nylon dowel/dowels cut to length of batteries, find a wall wart that matches current and voltage, cut the leads to fit over the ends of the dowels, secure them somehow, maybe a flat plate to emulate the ends of the batteries, cut a keyhole in the plastic cover. Insert dowel with attached leads into battery pack, run power line through keyhole slot in battery cover.

really though, you could just solder the wires from the power supply to the input pads on the PCB. (or tap the wires that go to the battery holder)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm a mechanical major, i know just enough electronics to know that I know nothing :v:

It's a seriously tiny board. battery contacts are soldered directly to it, and I wouldnt know where to even begin trying to expose solid rail to solder to

i'll probably just rig up the dowel thing. AAAs probably can't put out much more than an amp at the absolute max, right?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

some_admin posted:

really though, you could just solder the wires from the power supply to the input pads on the PCB. (or tap the wires that go to the battery holder)

That really is the easiest way to go. I mean you could get fancy with dowels and power supplies and such.. But I usually just take the easiest/laziest way for things like that that would be more of a 1 off thing.

Enourmo posted:

It's a seriously tiny board. battery contacts are soldered directly to it, and I wouldnt know where to even begin trying to expose solid rail to solder to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=208av7YtAgE

Soldering is stupid easy once you get the hang of it. What I have my work study students do is grab a network card, unsolder all the network pins and practice resoldering them. Once you get your rhythm, it gets easy and you can move onto more advanced things like the kind of stuff this guy does. This guy is my fav soldering channel, he's pretty amazing: https://www.youtube.com/user/jkgamm041/videos

keykey fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 7, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

the only thing giving me pause is that it's a pretty dense board, with everything surface-mount (I've soldered a couple through hole things before). there's maybe a millimeter gap between the battery holder and the board when assembled, so if I solder to the contacts it'd have to be right at the board. plus on that side there's not much space to run wires to the side.

those contacts stick through the other side, maybe if I drill a hole through the front side of the thing I could run em through there.

aaaaaand that red wire just broke, gently caress me sideways. guess i've got at least that much soldering to do.

btw if there's a more appropriate thread for this sort of thing let me know.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

gently caress I LOST MY MAIN TIRE AND MY SPARE IN THE COURSE OF THIRTY MINUTES AND NOW I'm STRANDED IN DETROIT IN ONE OF THE WORST POSSIBLE NEIGHBOURHOODS gently caress gently caress gently caress

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tusen Takk posted:

gently caress I LOST MY MAIN TIRE AND MY SPARE IN THE COURSE OF THIRTY MINUTES AND NOW I'm STRANDED IN DETROIT IN ONE OF THE WORST POSSIBLE NEIGHBOURHOODS gently caress gently caress gently caress

drive on the flat for a while

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CharlesM posted:

drive on the flat for a while

Rim is boned, found a gas station and am currently waiting for a tow

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
RIP TT.

Peter F Hamilton is good sci-fi.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Peter F Hamilton is good sci-fi.

He'd be good if it weren't for the constant unnecessary porno-level sex scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Enourmo posted:

the only thing giving me pause is that it's a pretty dense board, with everything surface-mount (I've soldered a couple through hole things before). there's maybe a millimeter gap between the battery holder and the board when assembled, so if I solder to the contacts it'd have to be right at the board. plus on that side there's not much space to run wires to the side.

those contacts stick through the other side, maybe if I drill a hole through the front side of the thing I could run em through there.

aaaaaand that red wire just broke, gently caress me sideways. guess i've got at least that much soldering to do.

btw if there's a more appropriate thread for this sort of thing let me know.

That black wire appears connected to ground, so if it is (check continuity with multimeter) you can just tag another wire onto that pad for your ground connection.

Annoyingly it looks like the + connection immediately runs through a tiny little diode or capacitor; check the other side of the board and see if there's another trace running from that pin that has a pad you can tag to. I'm sure there will be a +v testpoint on the board.

But if you don't really give a poo poo about battery power just tag a lead to the + there and the - there and hook it up to a regulated 3V power supply.

Or drill a hole in the front and run the power wires through the front, which is probably the easiest solution.

• Locked thread