Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Everblight posted:

Clarifying point: It is Symphony of the Night that owns, not Ken Nagle

Honestly the new set's so cool this might need to get revised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
ken nagle is a cool guy and fun to hang out with

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

born on a buy you posted:

ken nagle is a cool guy and fun to hang out with

Phyrexian Cosplay.jpg

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
http://www.howardlyon.com/illustration-store/isobel-the-angel

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Also Ken Nagle made the card because of Symphony of the Night, which owns

i'm pretty sure the vampire turning into mist thing is older then SOTN

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly the new set's so cool this might need to get revised

Especially in light of SoTN influencing design, and in a cool way and not a dumb way like Starbound, the game where you move backwards slower than forwards.

There should be a card for moving faster backwards, maybe +haste with damage based on toughness.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm pretty sure the vampire turning into mist thing is older then SOTN

Yeah, it shows up a few times in Stoker's Dracula. He can also transform into a dog, crawl like Spiderman, and fool real estate agents into thinking "Count De Ville" is a totally legit and not evil name. Hopefully we'll see some of these in Return to Shadows Over Innistrad.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

awesome

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mr. Jive posted:

Yeah, it shows up a few times in Stoker's Dracula. He can also transform into a dog, crawl like Spiderman, and fool real estate agents into thinking "Count De Ville" is a totally legit and not evil name. Hopefully we'll see some of these in Return to Shadows Over Innistrad.

I want my top-down Vorthos card based on fooling a real estate agent

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

I want my top-down Vorthos card based on fooling a real estate agent

Reparations?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mr. Jive posted:

I hope we get gravity-booting the librarian for a tunic as well.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Vedalken plotter

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I just wonder if humans are hosed in Innistrad now. Probably not because the plane always needs a universal chew toy, but then again New Phyrexia.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Onmi posted:

I just wonder if humans are hosed in Innistrad now. Probably not because the plane always needs a universal chew toy, but then again New Phyrexia.

Tarkir also ended up pretty poo poo for the humans, so maybe?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Tarkir also ended up pretty poo poo for the humans, so maybe?

it's actually a pretty good place if you're ojutai or dramoka

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's actually a pretty good place if you're ojutai or dramoka
Kolaghan has to be the most depressing dragon to work for. Nothing but turning sideways and bathing in your enemy's blood.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kinda weird how Westvale Abbey's transformation cost involves tapping it, only for it to untap itself when transforming.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Rinkles posted:

Kinda weird how Westvale Abbey's transformation cost involves tapping it, only for it to untap itself when transforming.

No tapping it for mana for its own activation, probably.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Jace, in the story article posted:

He took a deep breath, planted his feet firmly apart, made a fist, thumb outside his fingers as Gideon had patiently insisted to him, and took a swing at the wall.

:allears:

Sometimes it's almost worth reading.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Voyager I posted:

:allears:

Sometimes it's almost worth reading.

Jace needing to be taught how to throw a punch and using that new knowledge to punch a wall really is just fantastic. Thank you for braving the flavor articles.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Guess mtgo had to even out opening dark depths and a sick draft with 5 auroch herds and a sunscour. Ended with a round 2 loss. G1 I couldnt draw another land or white card to wrath. G2 I torturously held on and drew through my entire deck (lands first!) only for sunscour to be the literal last card in my deck. Man this game can tilt me like no other.

As a newer player it's neat exploring old draft environments that I otherwise wouldn't be able to play, but wow Coldsnap sucks, especially compared to Ravnica block. It just seems super awkward with parasitic build around mechanics that boil down to taking multiple copies of the same card. Am I just misreading the format?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Have Blue posted:

Guess mtgo had to even out opening dark depths and a sick draft with 5 auroch herds and a sunscour. Ended with a round 2 loss. G1 I couldnt draw another land or white card to wrath. G2 I torturously held on and drew through my entire deck (lands first!) only for sunscour to be the literal last card in my deck. Man this game can tilt me like no other.

As a newer player it's neat exploring old draft environments that I otherwise wouldn't be able to play, but wow Coldsnap sucks, especially compared to Ravnica block. It just seems super awkward with parasitic build around mechanics that boil down to taking multiple copies of the same card. Am I just misreading the format?

Set Designers didn't even consider draft until around original innistrad. Decent draft formats beforehand were due to luck.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

stoutfish posted:

Set Designers didn't even consider draft until around original innistrad. Decent draft formats beforehand were due to luck.

This is super wrong.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

stoutfish posted:

ROE's walls deck being a draft archetype was totally due to luck, right

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

stoutfish posted:

by "Innistrad" you mean "Mirage", right

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Sigma-X posted:

ROE's walls deck being a draft archetype was totally due to luck, right

Vent sentinel is a clear constructed plant! :bahgawd:

But I recall reading offhand that Coldsnap was only ever meant to be drafted by itself, which seems to have really hampered its creativity and flexibility, as the designers figured that you'd have 3 packs to hoover up all the copies of whatever card you're forcing (ripple, mists, herd, etc).

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
You guys think this thread's predictions are stupid, have a guy claiming Cryptolith Rite is going to break every format.

https://youtu.be/mWMGuGaAwoQ

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
how come none of you are forcing mists or sentinels/dementia :(

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

how come none of you are forcing mists or sentinels/dementia :(

aurochs herd best deck

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So that means that Time Spiral drafts are soon, right?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

So that means that Time Spiral drafts are soon, right?

There's a three or four week stop in the modern flashback draft schedule after Coldsnap, for Shadows Over Innistrad release in MTGO, but yeah after that it continues normally.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

stinkles1112 posted:

You guys think this thread's predictions are stupid, have a guy claiming Cryptolith Rite is going to break every format.

If you think about it, it makes all your creatures into Honored Hierarchs, which we know from Travis Woo is better than Delver of Secrets, a modern- and legacy-playable card. So really, it's surprising that it's not breaking a hundo on preorder prices.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

stinkles1112 posted:

It is quite good to be fair. The GB aristocrats deck can ramp out an Ulamog pretty fast.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

stoutfish posted:

there were cards constructed for limited when i started back in 97

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lancelot posted:

If you think about it, it makes all your creatures into Honored Hierarchs, which we know from Travis Woo is better than Delver of Secrets, a modern- and legacy-playable card. So really, it's surprising that it's not breaking a hundo on preorder prices.

Remember guys:

Travis Woo wants YOU to give him 37 USD so to turn you into a Pro Content creator so that you can MAKE MONEY like he does playing Magic. Seriously. Trust him on this. You WILL make money, he promises.

http://www.mtgtraining.com/pro-content/

WARNING: Powers to make Magic money may involve living with out shoes, walking backwards up stairs, having a pube-beard, getting into pointless arguments about basketball with actual Magic content creators, talking about how Hitler is a-OK and getting suspend from popular Magic fan sites for your views on Hitler

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

stinkles1112 posted:

Desolator Magic is one of my favorite M:tG content creators because he sounds like an annoying acquaintance of mine + is consistently wrong.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Gridlocked posted:

WARNING: Powers to make Magic money may involve living with out shoes, walking backwards up stairs, having a pube-beard, getting into pointless arguments about basketball with actual Magic content creators, talking about how Hitler is a-OK and getting suspend from popular Magic fan sites for your views on Hitler

Let's be fair to the guy - he attempted a thought experiment and failed at it. Mostly because you need to be capable of thought to have a thought experiment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The Duels story mode inspired me

keeblerdrow posted:

No tapping it for mana for its own activation, probably.

That's kinda obvious in hindsight.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

But jace is the worst detective ever. He knows nahiri exists and yet is totally mystified at who could possibly be doing all this stone magic. At least tamiyo has never heard of nahiri before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

stinkles1112 posted:

He compares it to Heritage Druid directly. He didn't seem to notice that Heritage Druid allows you to tap elves cast that turn.

He says Show & Tell and Demonic Tutor aren't legal in Modern, but the reason they're not is the same reason Pygmy Allosaurus isn't.

Christ, he acknowledges April Fools Day even.

• Locked thread