Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's naturally quite charming but it's like he has stage fright or something. I've never seen him in anything where he didn't flat out suck, but then again Ayer made me happy to see Sam Worthington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Jai Courtney is one of those guys who looks like a million bucks in junket interviews then on screen he's like "who is this clown"?

i thought he was a fun hulking bad guy in Jack Reacher. not exactly a role that requires much, but a solid Bond Henchman.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, he's solid in Jack Reacher.

He's naturally quite charming but it's like he has stage fright or something. I've never seen him in anything where he didn't flat out suck, but then again Ayer made me happy to see Sam Worthington.

I'd assume 90% of his attention is constantly focused on not having an Australian accent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The reshoot thing still doesn't jibe. Haven't sources confirmed that Smith and Robbie are off shooting other films already?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

June 2: Capt. Underpants.

Wait what? Are we seriously getting a movie on this? :stare:

I need a source.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm less concerned with the reshoots than I am with the movie looking like a hot topic crashed into a spencer's gifts, but hey

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He's only memorable in Jack Reacher because of that scene where he kills that girl. So really its the writing(not sure if that scene's in the book) that's disturbing there, not really anything in his performance. The rest of the movie he just smirks and he has maybe three lines.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

He's only memorable in Jack Reacher because of that scene where he kills that girl. So really its the writing(not sure if that scene's in the book) that's disturbing there, not really anything in his performance. The rest of the movie he just smirks and he has maybe three lines.

eh, there's an art to playing a hulking bad guy. it's why Kane Hodder is memorable and most of the rest of the nobodies who played Jason aren't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

eh, there's an art to playing a hulking bad guy. it's why Kane Hodder is memorable and most of the rest of the nobodies who played Jason aren't.

I suppose, he definitely came off as a competent operator type. He could probably pull off playing a guy who fights Jason Bourne for instance. I don't think those guys get paid much though.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm less concerned with the reshoots than I am with the movie looking like a hot topic crashed into a spencer's gifts, but hey

You say that, but I loving loved Spring Breakers, and that movie looked like Lisa Frank hosed Worldstarhiphop, soooooooo bring it on

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Only if the night club scene is filmed similar to:

The scene in TDK where Batman throws Eric Roberts off a balcony always reminds me of this.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
He was good in Reacher & in the Spartacus TV show.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just turned The Dark Knight on, and as much as I like BvS, the storytelling in TDK is like a loving machine gun in comparison. A really magical, awesome machine gun.

Though Bale-Bat looks and sounds extra goofy in his regular armor and growly-voice compared to Batfleck. Ben Affleck just looks like a comic book in that costume.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Jai Courtney is one of those guys who looks like a million bucks in junket interviews then on screen he's like "who is this clown"?

Except in Spartacus

All blond and curly haired

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Dark Knight rules and is what people want form DC. It is fun and funny and also dark and serious.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

The Dark Knight rules and is what people want form DC. It is fun and funny and also dark and serious.

What makes The Dark Knight work would not fly in a movie made by anyone but Nolan and also wouldn't make for a good comic book movie.

Like that's the entire point of the Nolan films. Superman is not a character that could exist, and the only thing exaggerated was how Batman could just vanish when no one is looking. Otherwise everything is so ground into realism it borders on near self parody. They're great movies based on comics, but they are not comic book movies.

You try pulling that with Superman and you already have a ton of problems. Just, a lot of problems. There's a reason why Killer Croc was too unrealistic to show up in the Nolanverse, while now he's a supporting character in Suicide Squad.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

The part with the woman tied up made me depressed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can understand that because I am a human who can understand that sometimes things bother people for various reasons.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Why was the Joker so bad? I thought this was a fun movie. :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Joker was both bad, and quite fun to watch. A treat for the emotions. If you will.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

CelticPredator posted:

The Joker was both bad, and quite fun to watch. A treat for the emotions. If you will.

A little bit of both...in equal measure.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wyoming posted:

Why was the Joker so bad? I thought this was a fun movie. :(

Dark Knight is actually a way funnier movie than most people give it credit for. I laugh very hard, every time at Bruce Wayne cancelling an entire week of shows of the Russian Ballet and taking them all on a yacht, because it's the most Bruce Wayne thing imaginable, and he's not even doing it for the obvious benefit (spending a bunch of time on a boat with a bunch of russian ballerinas). I think Maggie Gyllenhaal's reaction is the cherry on top of that whole bit.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Dark Knight is actually a way funnier movie than most people give it credit for. I laugh very hard, every time at Bruce Wayne cancelling an entire week of shows of the Russian Ballet and taking them all on a yacht, because it's the most Bruce Wayne thing imaginable, and he's not even doing it for the obvious benefit (spending a bunch of time on a boat with a bunch of russian ballerinas). I think Maggie Gyllenhaal's reaction is the cherry on top of that whole bit.

Oh I was just giving Celtic poo poo for moping about BvS.
I think they're both fun movies.

And yeah, Bruce being acting like a spoiled child never gets old in the Nolan films.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wyoming posted:

Oh I was just giving Celtic poo poo for moping about BvS.
I think they're both fun movies.

And yeah, Bruce being acting like a spoiled child never gets old in the Nolan films.

Has anyone else ever gone with that blatant an image of Bruce Wayne: Trust Fund Baby? Affleck did a little bit of that in BvS, and in my head, all of the 90s media had him as much more competent (except Batman and Robin which lets Clooney channel his inner Adam West to our benefit). Bruce Wayne as Paris Hilton is brilliant in the same way that Christopher Reeves' Clark Kent as goofy bumpkin is, in terms of hiding secret identities.

God Dark Knight is so loving good. Out of this entire generation of superhero movies, from X-Men to whenever this bubble pops, that's gonna be the one that holds up. It's not perfect, but I can't imagine anything that would make it any better, unless they could go back in time and film the rest of it in IMAX too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first shot in TDK was one of the most insane shots I've ever seen in a film. IMAX does wonders. I legit felt vertigo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The whole opening sequence of The Dark Knight is one of the best, like up there with Drive.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"Where's the alarm guy?"

"Boss told me when the guy was done, I should take him out. One less share right?"

"Funny. He told me something similar."

"What!? NO!"

loving great,

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This might sound really morbid, but I think Heath Ledger dying when he did really sealed his, and the movie's, place in film lore forever. He was so terrifying in that performance that if he had tried to do it again, or people had kept hiring him to play that sort of unhinged freak, it would have diluted it. He's right there with James Dean, River Phoenix and Kurt Cobain.

Like, in my head, being the Joker killed him, which is a claim to fame that pretty much no one else can match. This is to the point where, in the dark part of my head, I expect Jared Leto to attempt suicide in the next 6 months while completely missing the point, which is exactly who Jared Leto is in my head: a sad attempt at capturing that particular aura while missing what really makes an actor like Ledger magnificent.

Someday down the line I'll write a Ebert's Great Movies-esque essay about how awesome TDK is. I could fill a loving book slobbering over that movie's knob.

CelticPredator posted:

"Where's the alarm guy?"

"Boss told me when the guy was done, I should take him out. One less share right?"

"Funny. He told me something similar."

"What!? NO!"

loving great,

"I bet the boss told you to kill me when I was done with my work, huh?"

"no no, I kill the bus driver"

"Bus Driver?"

:killdozer:

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 7, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Yoshifan823 posted:

"I bet the boss told you to kill me when I was done with my work, huh?"

"no no, I kill the bus driver"

"Bus Driver?"

:killdozer:

That was clever on first watch and made no sense at all on rewatches. Joker is a gang leader first and foremost, as he has no powers. Why do goons work for the guy who murders all his underlings and is profoundly indifferent to profit in the film?

It was a genius performance within an idiotic plot.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jack of Hearts posted:

That was clever on first watch and made no sense at all on rewatches. Joker is a gang leader first and foremost, as he has no powers. Why do goons work for the guy who murders all his underlings and is profoundly indifferent to profit in the film?

How would they know he coldblooded murders his guys? I'm sure he doesn't volunteer that sort of information, and Joker only actually murders one of his guys (the others take care of themselves in the opening sequence). Hell, most of those guys weren't even hired by the Joker himself, because otherwise they would have noticed who he was behind the mask.

Plus, remember, he has a giant fuckload of money. Even if he's pretty blasé about the idea of being rich, he knows what money can get people to do. Criminals have been known to risk their necks for that much cash. And they could also think that, because they think they know how it's going to go down, they can manipulate him and get even richer. That guy in the first scene who pulled the gun on Joker probably assumed that he was gonna get away with all of the cash, because he knew the pattern. What he didn't know was that Joker is smarter than him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack of Hearts posted:

None of those goons planned to share their money with the Joker and none of them knew one another. They were all criminals he gathered together for the job specifically so they'd play to his fiddle.

After that, he's a cult of personality and an up and comer, and you can see that he surrounds himself with the mentally ill and physically disabled. It's like asking why people were and are so loyal to loving Bundy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

None of those goons planned to share their money with the Joker and none of them knew one another. They were all criminals he gathered together for the job specifically so they'd play to his fiddle.

After that, he's a cult of personality and an up and comer, and you can see that he surrounds himself with the mentally ill and physically disabled. It's like asking why people were and are so loyal to loving Bundy.

:eng101: Manson. Bundy acted alone.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yoshifan823 posted:

:eng101: Manson. Bundy acted alone.

Bah, I could have been talking about Al

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

C'mon, honestly. Sewing high explosives into a guy is complicated, and so is the ferry plot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack of Hearts posted:

C'mon, honestly. Sewing high explosives into a guy is complicated, and so is the ferry plot.

Yes?

Dude is a meticulous planner, schemer and most of all, liar.

Every thing he ever says is a lie. If he said he was wearing makeup while in full Joker makeup, that would some how be a lie. Everything he does is to his own ticking clock, and he drat well knows it. Look at his reaction when things do not go according to plan.

He drat well loses his mind

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Yes?

Dude is a meticulous planner, schemer and most of all, liar.

Every thing he ever says is a lie. If he said he was wearing makeup while in full Joker makeup, that would some how be a lie. Everything he does is to his own ticking clock, and he drat well knows it. Look at his reaction when things do not go according to plan.

He drat well loses his mind

Where does he get his high-quality goons (such as, say, murderous surgeon goons) from, if he has a demonstrated propensity to murder his own guys during jobs? Killing off capable thieves as he did wasn't useful, it just showed what an awful bastard he was, which is useful from a cinematic perspective but makes no sense from a plot perspective.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

None of them have met The Joker. They only know him through reputation.

"Why do they call him The Joker?"

"He wears make up. "

"Make up?"

"Yeah. To scare people. War paint. "

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

None of them have met The Joker. They only know him through reputation.

"Why do they call him The Joker?"

"He wears make up. "

"Make up?"

"Yeah. To scare people. War paint. "

Yeah, so he's not a gang leader, it's more that there are goons for hire on Craigslist Gotham. Which is, okay, whatever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack of Hearts posted:

Where does he get his high-quality goons (such as, say, murderous surgeon goons) from, if he has a demonstrated propensity to murder his own guys during jobs? Killing off capable thieves as he did wasn't useful, it just showed what an awful bastard he was, which is useful from a cinematic perspective but makes no sense from a plot perspective.

He is actually shown and implied to be the maker of his own clothes- if not then he has contacts that are excellent at keeping mum and including none of their own style.

So he could very easily be the one who put the bombs inside of the carebear goon himself- that's what the Goon said he did in a round about way and it's very much in his style to do. Joker takes a very, very personal hand with all of his capers after all.

Beyond that? Hired help is easy to find. Even easier when you've crushed the existing power structures and you're the only guy left in town. Those goons at the start? Expendable. His goons through out the movie? Expendable. Everything and everyone is expendable to some one like the Joker and that's the point.

You can always find some one to replace them. It's one reason he fixated on Brucey. He recognized some one similar to himself, just on the other side of the coin.

Unlike Dent, who he pretty much just gave as much rope as he could to hang himself with. One fantastic detail a lot of people miss is that the Joker never moves his finger away from the hammer of the gun, when its pointed at his own head by Dent. Even if it came up scarred, Joker made his own luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
"Hello Gambol goons! You two get to beat each other to death for the chance to join my prestigious organization."

"Uh, I mean, I'll beat my friend to death, sure, but I'd kinda rather flee this terrible town and go to Central City where everything is great because the Flash lives there."

• Locked thread