Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A better Batman would've handled it professionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Gaz-L posted:

I liked that bit better when Brent Spiner did it for a decade.

I mean, I'm sure The Vision is a great book and all, but him going to 'beep-boop i am a robot man' is way less fun to me than how Waid's playing him in Avengers.

It's actually very much the opposite. I don't want to get into details or post panels because it's a loving fantastic comic that I was ready to turn my nose up at and assume I hate until I actually read it but it's about artificial but very flawed and human beings coming to terms with being a family. They lie to each other and they lie to outsiders to protect each other. They suffer trauma and commit some pretty awful acts.

Probably the core concept is just how hosed up they are and very much not rational or logical.

Read the first couple of issues or buy the TPB which should come out soon, see if you can disagree.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

From Doom Patrol #34, Monsieur Mallah and the Brain break into the Doom Patrol's base to steal Robot Man's new body and discuss philosophy. Robot Man is currently having his body worked on, but everyone stepped out for lunch, so he's just a blind and deaf ol' jar of brain. Also this was probably for the best as his body achieved sentience and was debating about whether he should kill Robot Man so he could maintain free will. Also there's kissing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It's obviously due to both the Skrulls we're familiar with and Thanos having Deviant DNA from the Celestials' grand experiments.

Three out of six visible chins have weird ridges. Politifact rates this statement as half true.

Lurdiak posted:

Hank Pym is such a fraud.

Politifact rates this statement as mostly true.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

...Uh, no thanks, I'm good.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Kalli posted:

Also there's kissing.

You're drat right there's a brain-transplanted robot kissing a pseudo-French Marxist revolutionary gorilla.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

You're drat right there's a brain-transplanted robot kissing a pseudo-French Marxist revolutionary gorilla.

And then they lived happily ever after!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Grant Morrison, everybody!

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Doom Patrol #34 is good. Morrison's Doom Patrol is good.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Doom Patrol is the reason I can never hate GMo. It's all worth it for that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

If you hate batman odyssey you have no soul.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And here I thought Frank Miller's goddamn Batman was too insane for something to ever come out and top it. I need to track down this Batman Odyssey you speak of.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

redbackground posted:

And then they lived happily ever after!

They sure did!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Saoshyant posted:

And here I thought Frank Miller's goddamn Batman was too insane for something to ever come out and top it. I need to track down this Batman Odyssey you speak of.

You should do that. Right after you take a nap on the floor like an animal in front of your arch-enemy.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
My favorite is when Batman and Robin get super strength because they are in a low gravity "gravity well" caused by the surface of the Earth pulling them back up from the core. Also for some reason only they get superpowers and not everyone else.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

All theses posts of pages from Batman Odyssey end up feeling like a poorly translated version of like, some weird Italian comic or something.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It also features a secret cabal of mystical creatures, such as the ur-Grey Alien, and a jive talking, beatnick wizard.

I'm half convinced this is a terrible read by how ridiculously amazing it looks.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

All theses posts of pages from Batman Odyssey end up feeling like a poorly translated version of like, some weird Italian comic or something.

That impression deepens when you see all the pages of Bruce Wayne lounging around shirtless and hairy as gently caress.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Oh my, yes. This doesn't even get into the latter half, where poo poo gets really insane.

e: Here's the whole thing.. It gets kind of... flat-earthy.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 7, 2016

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I'm half convinced this is a terrible read by how ridiculously amazing it looks.

Every minute of it is fantastic. The story just constantly introduces nonsensical characters and laughs in the face of science. It's complete madness.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
50% of the story is Adams trying to explain how the earth is hollow and expanding (because he actually believes it).

Earth works just like this geode!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Is that a hollow earth parallel batman? :psyduck:

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Keeshhound posted:

Is that a hollow earth parallel batman? :psyduck:

He's a Neandethal, and his sidekick is a dinosaur man. They learned about Batman on the TV.

Unrelated Panel:

Godzilla vs. Barkley

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Oh jeez. The background crowd in this.

Pretty obviously also Godzilla vs. Barkley

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

joehonkie posted:

50% of the story is Adams trying to explain how the earth is hollow and expanding (because he actually believes it).

Earth works just like this geode!

I legit thought that was a roided out Huntress.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It sounds like the hottest garbage.

But I still kinda want to read it.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
It sounds amazing.

I can't wait to read it.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

SomeJazzyRat posted:

It also features a secret cabal of mystical creatures, such as the ur-Grey Alien, and a jive talking, beatnick wizard.

Why is every panel 'CLOSE-UP SHOT / next shot'? People keep recommending this comic but every panel they post drives me crazy with GIANT CLOSE UP every single time.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Why is every panel 'CLOSE-UP SHOT / next shot'? People keep recommending this comic but every panel they post drives me crazy with GIANT CLOSE UP every single time.

It's a comic you read BECAUSE of the things that drive you crazy. Everything about it is pretty terrible.

There are like 5 issues devoted to Talia very obviously hinting something big to Batman to the point that a child could get it and him not getting it. And Boston Brand EXPLAINING THIS in the background.

And it opens with a story within a story that has nothing to do with anything else in the book, and kind of hashes it between another story within a story in such a way that it's hard to tell which is which.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

People are recommending the comic in the same way that I drag a dozen people to see The Room every year.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Why is Godzilla wearing shoes here:

joehonkie posted:

Unrelated Panel:

Godzilla vs. Barkley
But not here?

joehonkie posted:

Oh jeez. The background crowd in this.

Pretty obviously also Godzilla vs. Barkley
Wait, why does Godzilla need to wear shoes at all? Why am I wondering about the plausibility of Godzilla's footwear in a comic where he plays basketball against a giant Charles Barkley? So many questions.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Lord Hydronium posted:

But not here?

Wait, why does Godzilla need to wear shoes at all? Why am I wondering about the plausibility of Godzilla's footwear in a comic where he plays basketball against a giant Charles Barkley? So many questions.

Only winners get to wear the product placement. If you're losing you don't get shoes.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

But not here?

I'm reminded of a parody Cracked magazine ran at the time (back when they were still the knock off version of Mad magazine) where it's one page and the internet isn't helping me find it. Godzilla comes up to giant Barkley wanting a rematch, and Sir Charles mocks him because he still doesn't have his own pair of Nikes to play in. So Godzilla roasts him with his atomic breath. The final panel is Big G putting on Charles' still-smoking shoes that are all that's left of him, whistling to himself.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Ghostlight posted:

People are recommending the comic in the same way that I drag a dozen people to see The Room every year.

It definitely provokes the same kind of reaction that watching The Room does in that it's completely terrible, but it's the best kind of terrible where you just have to see what kind of insanity is gonna come next.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 8, 2016

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Lord Hydronium posted:

But not here?

Barkley gets Big G the shoes after Barkley beats him at basketball. He is Earth's greatest warrior, after all.

I'm not joking, he's actually called "Earth's Greatest Warrior" in the comic.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I'm not joking, he's actually called "Earth's Greatest Warrior" in the comic.

Barkley or Godzilla?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Barkley, probably. Godzilla's atomic flame breath has toppled gods...but the power of the Chaos Dunk is peerless.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

Barkley, probably. Godzilla's atomic flame breath has toppled gods...but the power of the Chaos Dunk is peerless.

I'll have you return your gaze to my previous comment on the matter. :colbert:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Is Godzilla in Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden? And if not, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Let me ask the TOG'sters that for the 2000th time.