Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
feels good man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
in fact one of life's underappreciated pleasures is farting in a wet suit. depending on which way you're facing you get to feel it either work its way up your back, between your shoulderblades, and out of your neck seal (or into your hood), or if you're head down you get to feel it climb up your leg and out your leg hole or into your boot

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Trig Discipline posted:

in fact one of life's underappreciated pleasures is farting in a wet suit. depending on which way you're facing you get to feel it either work its way up your back, between your shoulderblades, and out of your neck seal (or into your hood), or if you're head down you get to feel it climb up your leg and out your leg hole or into your boot

quote:

Later on, trying to deal as best I could, wiping my rear end at every opportunity, I discovered another wonderful use for rear end-hair - ventilation. I attempted to launch a fart, only to have it get stuck between my asscheeks. Apparently, with no hair, the two pink twins can get vacuum sealed together, and the result was a frustrating fart that slid up and down between my cheeks like a lost gerbil.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jonny 290 posted:

stealing this

:gas:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trig Discipline posted:

you can pop a lung on compressed air in 5-10 ft of water though

:stonk:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
yeah, the first thing they teach you when you learn to scuba is never stop breathing

you can free dive with the surface air no problem because that air is at surface pressure, the air you're breathing from your tanks is at whatever pressure it is at your depth, you come up without expelling it and it expands right quick.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

welp

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lmao

http://bltglass.en.alibaba.com/prod...00ml_400ml.html

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm the WALLAH!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

minivanmegafun posted:

I'm the WALLAH!

a Wallah is actually a water-carrier, but I suspect I'm being generous saying this is wordplay rather than an error.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
eh i give the bottle a pass because its a school project; they just had to find something to sell and market it

why they have to actually put something on kickstarter is a whole different question

which remainds me that odwalla was started because selling juice was an idea in some business book lol

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 7, 2016

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

its a dumb kickstarter but at least it has a chance of being fulfilled, and $15 isn't crazy for a nice protein shaker

theyre just gonna buy a bunch of poo poo bulk from china and ship it anyways

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lancemantis posted:

eh i give the bottle a pass because its a school project; they just had to find something to sell and market it

why they have to actually put something on kickstarter is a whole different question

which remainds me that odwalla was started because selling juice was an idea in some business book lol

BiohazrD posted:

its a dumb kickstarter but at least it has a chance of being fulfilled, and $15 isn't crazy for a nice protein shaker

theyre just gonna buy a bunch of poo poo bulk from china and ship it anyways

http://bltglass.en.alibaba.com/prod...00ml_400ml.html

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao i just realized the text doesn't conform to the shape of the bottle, pro tier photoshop

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

minivanmegafun posted:

I'm the WALLAH!

'Kull WALLAH!' cried the reverend mother

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

fool_of_sound posted:

'Kull WALLAH!' cried the reverend mother

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

scuba seems like one of those things where man looked at the most inhospitable conditions for survival and said imma gently caress that thing up

isn't humanity great?

Trig Discipline posted:

related note: closest i have come to getting seriously injured diving was an uncontrollable buoyancy issue with a dry suit. i literally felt my chest tighten as my lungs expanded a bit, then realized what was happening and immediately exhaled as hard as i could. i wasn't hurt at all but i was :stare: for the rest of the day

jfc

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
my scuba instructor was the most chill guy, but he flipped his poo poo and screamed at me underwater "DIVERS GET HURT CHASING BUBBLES" which really stuck with me

part of the PADI training is taking a breath at 100ft and ascending. it's a weird feeling where you're breathing out but your lungs keep filling up, there are two brain inputs that have always agreed and then they're coming in out of phase for the first time. i can't imagine an unplanned event of that manner :stare:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

my scuba instructor was the most chill guy, but he flipped his poo poo and screamed at me underwater "DIVERS GET HURT CHASING BUBBLES" which really stuck with me

part of the PADI training is taking a breath at 100ft and ascending. it's a weird feeling where you're breathing out but your lungs keep filling up, there are two brain inputs that have always agreed and then they're coming in out of phase for the first time. i can't imagine an unplanned event of that manner :stare:

yeah, I learned on Utila in Honduras which is basically an island that consists of nothing but dive shops, bars/restaurants, and hostels with one grocery store where people come from all over the world over to learn to scuba/be instructors. It's a non-stop party every day/night.

but all that poo poo goes out the window when it's dive time, no loving around. that alone really hammered the seriousness of what we were doing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
on the other hand why didn't you just stuff a eyeglass cleaning kit into a garden hose and breathe all the free oxygen you want right out of the ocean

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Al! posted:

on the other hand why didn't you just stuff a eyeglass cleaning kit into a garden hose and breathe all the free oxygen you want right out of the ocean

start the indiegogo already

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Al! posted:

this one weird trick that fish hate

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

yeah we did that too. iirc they've stopped doing that as part of standard training because they decided it was too dangerous

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
i don't want to get all "gently caress the ocean" over here but scuba diving seems like some frightening poo poo

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

daft punk railroad posted:

i don't want to get all "gently caress the ocean" over here but scuba diving seems like some frightening poo poo
ok, here's a "fun" story from a dive master

there was a recent wreck, and he & and few buddies were diving it. nothing serious, like 90 feet of water (+3 atmospheres from surface), but it's a wrecked ship so they're all being really careful. he swims out and is hovering maybe 15 feet away from the wreck and his vision starts to act funny. the whole scene in front of him is zooming in and out. he thinks it's nitrogen narcosis, meaning he's breathing so much compressed air that he's getting drowsy off the nitrogen content and soon won't be able to trust any of his senses. shouldn't happen that shallow, but he's doubting his own eyes. just before he signals this extreme distress to his buddies, he figures out that the entire wreck is moving back and forth with the wave motions. no narcosis, just the entire dive was far more unsafe than they thought. LMAO isn't that hilarious?

at 300 feet you switch to different gas mixtures because simply compressing normal air will kill you. i forget if it's the nitrogen or the oxygen or both.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i used to be afraid of everything that lived in the water. now i'm just afraid of the water

thanks?

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
turns out blue water really was deadly all along

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
yeah i took a dive class in college and it's amazing all the different ways you can real hosed up if you're not careful when diving. it's goddamn crazy

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I'm sort of glad I couldn't afford the equipment rental when i wanted to take dive in college.

granted these days I've got dive instructor friends and I still wanna try it out, even with the crazy danger.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
this is my favorite diving video, and the one where the guy dies on camera when he gets tangled in his lines

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

daft punk railroad posted:

eh, it's one of those things where a careful and well-trained person is actually very safe. and it's really, really amazing when you get over the technical hurdles and get comfortable with it

in fact, the number one thing that kills scuba divers is actually heart attacks. not that diving causes heart attacks, but having a heart attack underwater on a remote tropical island six hours from the nearest hospital turns out to be an extra bad idea.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh and even though we research divers are trained to the nines, for my research i primarily do the most pussy-rear end diving in the world. typically we're doing shore dives with no overhead (no wrecks or caves) in less than forty feet of water, in water with visibility over 100ft. honestly most of our fish collecting is in less than 20ft of water, because that's where the top of the reef is, which is where most of the fish are. also means we burn air way more slowly, so we gets more fishes. even for all of that, i am a super-cautious diver and have literally yelled at people and almost ended professional relationships over people not being safe under water.

we do sometimes intentionally go into comparatively nasty situations (rip currents, low visibility, deep water), but only with an awful lot of planning and a good reason to do so. imho the second a dive is "difficult" in any way, you have probably hosed up.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i was snorkeling down in the keys probably fifteen years ago and saw a hammerhead shark

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That scuba diving fish is a real fucker.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm the fat angel

also loving how they managed to reset the scale for every statistic so the actual visualizations are borderline meaningless

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

That scuba diving fish is a real fucker.

ns

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

no infographic is capable of explaining mortality multipliers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

You and everyone you know and love are going to die.

• Locked thread