Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Mistle posted:

Mineral oil. It's industrial application stuff, so you can probably order a whole drat drum of it if you were inclined.

Dpad is on a material with conductive contacts, so if it's creaking/squeaking, either the dpad is misaligned or something else is in there. Clean it out, and if you can, check the rubbery pad under the hard plastic; if that tore, it might make the dpad rub against the housing. Both require taking the controller apart, unfortunately.

I was going to do this, but I got scared and I just pressed down on the dpad really hard with my entire thumb and now its fixed. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

There was a game called live-a-live with a boss song called megalomania and he wanted to recreate that but for whatever reason either he couldnt or decided not to so he made his own thing and changed the name to megalovania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rf8Dj7PRAI

Live a Live is a very flawed game but it's also loving awesome and everyone should play it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There are too many awesome games that aren't very flawed to play first

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

I can't believe I defended Fallout 4 :(

It's massively better than Fallout 4, the combat and exploration (the two things you do the most in a Bethsoft game) are better

It's actually better than New Vegas at least wrt combat, but NV has its own set of advantages (things like writing and dialogue that aren't terrible)

All of the 3D Fallout games are 1) fun enough to play once and 2) overrated by their respective fans

Lurdiak posted:

Live a Live is a very flawed game but it's also loving awesome and everyone should play it.

It's pretty difficult to put up with, but I like Romancing Saga 3 and that series is terrible, so

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

There are too many awesome games that aren't very flawed to play first

This. Flawed games are a mathematical waste of time

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

net cafe scandal posted:

This. Flawed games are a mathematical waste of time

I feel like ppl who think like that probably didnt play more than an hour of Nier and I'm sad of it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Live-A-Live is not an extremely flawed game, just has minor flaws just like all other video games. Stuff like having obtuse secrets you'd need to read a guide to find out about and that might honestly be it. All in all, a good game, with good graphics, and good music, and rad story.

IMO sometimes I enjoy flawed games more than if they were almost flawless because the flaws give the game more character, more personality

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

can someone tell me how enchanted in dark souls 2 works, thanks

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Magic: Adds Intelligence scaling to your weapon, lowers other scaling, lowers physical damage but gives loads of magic damage.
Enchanted: Adds Intelligence scaling to your weapon, lowers other scaling, increases physical damage but gives no bonus magic damage.

It gets more complicated if the base item already has Intelligence scaling or magic damage, or if it has no scaling. Some enemies have huge magic resistance, so having a physical-damage-only weapon is always useful.

Anyway that's how I think it works.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Live-A-Live is not an extremely flawed game, just has minor flaws just like all other video games. Stuff like having obtuse secrets you'd need to read a guide to find out about and that might honestly be it. All in all, a good game, with good graphics, and good music, and rad story.

IMO sometimes I enjoy flawed games more than if they were almost flawless because the flaws give the game more character, more personality

Yeah this is probably true. Either way everyone should give it a look because it has more to offer than most games out there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Healbot posted:

I wish the Green Tea Kit Kats made their way to Europe.

You can get them but they're not cheap and come in tiny Japanese sizes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Magic: Adds Intelligence scaling to your weapon, lowers other scaling, lowers physical damage but gives loads of magic damage.
Enchanted: Adds Intelligence scaling to your weapon, lowers other scaling, increases physical damage but gives no bonus magic damage.

It gets more complicated if the base item already has Intelligence scaling or magic damage, or if it has no scaling. Some enemies have huge magic resistance, so having a physical-damage-only weapon is always useful.

Anyway that's how I think it works.

I thought Enchanted had something screwy to where it was directly based on your casting bonus.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

dunno

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Welp my hard drive is hosed on my PC so I have to get a new one. Might as well get a graphic card upgrade while I'm at it.

I think all my Dark Souls Saves are gone now though. :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Welp my hard drive is hosed on my PC so I have to get a new one. Might as well get a graphic card upgrade while I'm at it.

I think all my Dark Souls Saves are gone now though. :(
Dark Souls has Steam Cloud enabled, so your saves might be safe in the depths of some server farm somewhere?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

net cafe scandal posted:

I dont know where I can find that much oil... except off your drat forehead you greasy motherfucker!

this coming from the guy who was kicked out of OPEC after wiping off his brow

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Kins posted:

Dark Souls has Steam Cloud enabled, so your saves might be safe in the depths of some server farm somewhere?

Then the first game should be okay but pretty sure II doesn't have could saves so that's gone.

Oh I did get to play some Enter the Gungeon before it died though. It's good but for some silly reason in coop P2 can only play as one character while P1 can play as any of the four characters. It's a kinda silly thing to limit for coop.

They need to alter the RNG a bit since kinda frequently you hit entire floors where 3-4 chests spawn but there's no keys available at all on that floor.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 7, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Sometimes flaws add character that increase your overall enjoyment of a game. Other times flaws are in Ubisoft or EA games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Great Joe posted:

Sometimes flaws add character that increase your overall enjoyment of a game. Other times flaws are in Ubisoft or EA games.

pretty much this

I wanted to say I don't mind flaws in games but hoo boy does ubisoft seem to test that lol

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lurdiak posted:

Song names don't always mean something, 8-Bit Scholar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-pdpqSn0AI

Undertale has a track titled Can You Really Call This A Hotel, I Didn't Receive A Mint On My Pillow Or Anything that does not play in the hotel. It also has Bird That Carries You Over A Disproportionately Small Gap which is correctly named though.

Final Fantasy Tactics has tracks titled Apoplexy, Bloody Excrement, and The Pervert. Zalbag, The Holy Knight does not play in any scene with Zalbag IIRC.

Fire Emblem Awakening's OST has a lot of tracks named after lines of dialogue, so we get Oh, it's not so bad, Lissa. Just a healthy little stroll! and Agh! Won goph in mah mouph! Blech! Ptooey! and The Vaike never forgets! I just don't always remember.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

oddium posted:

this coming from the guy who was kicked out of OPEC after wiping off his brow

You have 24 hours to apologize for this.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Deadly Premonition's flaws certainly give the game personality but it's a lovely personality

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Live-a-Live would have been so amazing to have as a kid, to just waste weeks tinkering and exploring it. But since it was never released stateside, most of us had to emulate it on a fan translation and it's kind of clunky when you're grown up. I love the concept, though, it's an extremely ahead-of-its-time RPG.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They also want to push their stupid UWP thing, because people really want to play PC games designed for cell phones/tablets.

It's not as though it's impossible to scale a mobile game to a PC console well, or vice-versa.
Not saying that MS won't gently caress it up, but it's not a totally stupid concept or anything.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

do you get that the title Undertale

refers to the meta narrative

as well as the straight narrative

sans is a comedian
comic sans
do you get it
do you

Man Whore posted:

When I was playing undertale and after I just beat it, it was literally my game of the decade but now that I've had some time since then my opinion on it can be summed up in "ehh it was p good I guess."

I liked it up until the part with the weeaboo dinosaur and her stupid loving robot, from there everything up through the ending was kind of a slog
That was the pacifist path though, I didn't try the kill-everything route.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 7, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Alphys and Mettaton are cool. Undertale is cool.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

cooking with mettaton / one true love / mettaton news report is the best part of the game. mettaton is the best part of the game

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yo don't talk poo poo about home girl Alphys, she's got a lot on her plate.

I mean, that's not a fat joke, she...she deals with a lot of stuff.

Mettaton is cool sooooooo looks like you're just a dummy!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I cried when Mettaton got phone calls from his adoring fans

Yeah I'm a big ol' bitch, I know.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mettaton's ultimate form is fabulous and his boss fight is fabulous. Legs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

raditts posted:

I liked it up until the part with the weeaboo dinosaur and her stupid loving robot, from there everything up through the ending was kind of a slog
I found about 90% of the game a slog. The only bits that weren't were a few of the sections with Papyrus and the ending fight with Flowey. The rest was a huge drag, especially Alphys.

The music verged on unlistenable at times too, which really didn't help.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PantsBandit posted:

I cried when Mettaton got phone calls from his adoring fans

Yeah I'm a big ol' bitch, I know.

I had thought the game had hit its emotional peak there, but it's actually just getting started. The whole endgame beyond that is just the most...it really nails it, all of it. You couldn't ask for a better paced finale.

Death by Glamour is probably my favorite original theme for Undertale, it's just so loving high energy and nice. Megalovania's my favorite boss theme overall, but it predates UT.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The music verged on unlistenable at times too, which really didn't help.

:eyepop:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I assumed it was the equivalent of programmer art until after I finished.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

https://youtu.be/GHQ6ba-n12E

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The only bad thing about Undertale's soundtrack... is that a lot of songs on the OST only loop once.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't especially enjoy the fights after asgore

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I find it really odd how many people have such a strong negative reaction to Anime Dinosaur in Undertale.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I find it really odd how many people have such a strong negative reaction to Anime Dinosaur in Undertale.

She's not even the most anime thing about the game, Undyne is. She didn't seem out of place at all, although I'll admit she definitely felt like an "audience stand-in" sort of character. I suspect a lot of Undertale fans are intended to relate to Alphys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

She felt more like a caricature of people I used to know when I was an Anime Teen. I found it funny how she ships real people she knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I wish creepy fan-art posters hadn't murdered the Undertale thread because I would like to discuss things without feeling like I'm spoiling it for people :(

• Locked thread