Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

queserasera posted:

And that Arctic thread gave me a bunch of stuff to read and made me put on a sweater.

Thanks. :) I think it is a useful resource for anyone interested in polar travel/adventure/disaster and good place to discuss those topics. I wish we could get a few more people visiting and posting there. It would be a shame for it to be lost to the archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Scathach posted:

Stop being douchebags, this thread is good and weird and you're gonna ruin it. Jerks.

Have we discussed the Hinterkaifeck murders yet?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterkaifeck_murders

Honestly the most unnerving part of this is that during the autopsy the victims skulls were removed and sent to Munich for examination by clairvoyants. Forensic Investigation was clearly very different back then.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

New page! This thread probably needs a reboot but let's not make it by getting gassed. Speaking of gassed,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverdlovsk_anthrax_leak

In 1979, the Soviet biological/chemical warfare programs were in full swing and pumping out literal tons of anthrax spores every year. An air filter at one of the plants was removed for cleaning and didn't get replaced before the next shift; at least a hundred people (and many more livestock) died. The official response was to blame it on tainted meat. It doesn't mention it in the article, but when the programs were shut down, the facilities were more or less abandoned with chemical weapons still on the shelves and existing anthrax stock was just dumped in a hole and plowed over. (another plug for The Dead Hand, a really good book about Cold War weapons programs)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

RNG posted:

New page! This thread probably needs a reboot but let's not make it by getting gassed. Speaking of gassed,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverdlovsk_anthrax_leak

In 1979, the Soviet biological/chemical warfare programs were in full swing and pumping out literal tons of anthrax spores every year. An air filter at one of the plants was removed for cleaning and didn't get replaced before the next shift; at least a hundred people (and many more livestock) died. The official response was to blame it on tainted meat. It doesn't mention it in the article, but when the programs were shut down, the facilities were more or less abandoned with chemical weapons still on the shelves and existing anthrax stock was just dumped in a hole and plowed over. (another plug for The Dead Hand, a really good book about Cold War weapons programs)

The principal source on that is Ken Alibek, a Soviet bioweapons researcher and facility director who left and moved to the US in the early 90s, and then moved back home to Kazakhstan. His book where he discusses that leak and other incidents is very disturbing, but Alibek has more than a whiff of the snake-oil salesman about him and you should have salt nearby when you read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Biohazard-Chilling-Largest-Biological-World-Told/dp/0385334966

Gruinard Island mentioned yet? Tiny island off the coast of Scotland, rendered uninhabitable for 50 years by British biowarfare experiments with anthrax in 1942. In the 80s some persons unknown started leaving anthrax-contaminated soil samples, possibly from the island, around England and issuing threats that they'd start infecting people unless the UK decontaminated the island. Which it did, by spraying a shitload of formaldehyde everywhere.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Apr 7, 2016

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

^^^ wasnt there also an island where dangerous bioweapons were kept, but then the lake dried up so now anyone could walk to it? I think the russians were involved with that but im coming up blank.

Scathach posted:

Stop being douchebags, this thread is good and weird and you're gonna ruin it. Jerks.

Have we discussed the Hinterkaifeck murders yet?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterkaifeck_murders

I half think Hard Counter's 'the swastika mask' story was based off this from the ghost stories thread. Probably fake since pics never arose, but it still creeps me out. Random death by bears wandering through is one horror, but being hunted by another human being while being in the middle of the forest is one of my nightmares.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Wedemeyer posted:

^^^ wasnt there also an island where dangerous bioweapons were kept, but then the lake dried up so now anyone could walk to it? I think the russians were involved with that but im coming up blank.

Vozrozhdeniya Island, formerly an island in the Aral Sea, now, well:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Literally The Worst posted:

I want to know more about th guy who sat backwards on the toilet

He's one post above yours.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

grancheater posted:

Vozrozhdeniya Island, formerly an island in the Aral Sea, now, well:

The desiccation of the Aral itself is kind of unnerving to me - all the more so because not only did the Russians/Soviets expect it as a consequence of their irrigation program, some of them actively wanted it to happen:

quote:

“The saddest and most frustrating thing about the tragedy of the Aral Sea is that the Soviet officials at the Ministry of Water who designed the irrigation canals knew full well that they were dooming the Aral,” Kamalov says. From the 1920s through the 1960s, water officials often cited the work of Russia’s most famous climatologist, Aleksandr Voeikov (1842-1916), who once referred to the Aral Sea as a “useless evaporator” and a “mistake of nature.”

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

pookel posted:

Only if he also hung out with him watching him make the tape and decided he wanted to be buddies instead of reporting it to anyone.

do you get mad if an investigative journalist or writer talks to a drug dealer and doesn't call the police immediately afterwards

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Besesoth posted:

The desiccation of the Aral itself is kind of unnerving to me - all the more so because not only did the Russians/Soviets expect it as a consequence of their irrigation program, some of them actively wanted it to happen:

Here's a pretty good national geographic piece on what's left of the Aral.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/06/aral-sea/synnott-text

Oh, and there's this:

National Geographic posted:

The cotton harvests continue today. Each fall about two million of Uzbekistan’s 29 million citizens “volunteer” to pick millions of bushels of the nation’s cotton crop. The country virtually shuts down while government employees, schoolchildren, teachers, doctors, nurses, engineers, and even senior citizens are bused to the fields to reap their daily quota.

“Uzbekistan is one of the only places we know of in the world where forced labor is actually organized and enforced by the government, and the president himself is acting as a trafficker in chief,” said Steve Swerdlow, director of the Central Asia bureau of Human Rights Watch.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Minarchist posted:

Here's a pretty good national geographic piece on what's left of the Aral.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/06/aral-sea/synnott-text

That's the second article I linked. :ssh: ;) It is pretty good, though!

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Wedemeyer posted:

being hunted by another human being while being in the middle of the forest is one of my nightmares.

Allow me to recommend this old gem. :)

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Wedemeyer posted:

being hunted by another human being while being in the middle of the forest is one of my nightmares.

I read this a being hunted by a human BONG and an awful, visceral image ran through my head and scared me. A man-sized bong with the legs of a sprinting bodybuilder, easily smashing black trees as it scampers indefatigably after you. So it's a perfect post in this thread; thank you.

This story is pretty nice as a headline! but it's mundane if you look into it.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Phanatic posted:

The principal source on that is Ken Alibek, a Soviet bioweapons researcher and facility director who left and moved to the US in the early 90s, and then moved back home to Kazakhstan. His book where he discusses that leak and other incidents is very disturbing, but Alibek has more than a whiff of the snake-oil salesman about him and you should have salt nearby when you read it.

Huh, interesting. I guess I saw the Pulitzer on the front and bought into it a little too hard. Still might check out the guy's book, though!

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Besesoth posted:

That's the second article I linked. :ssh: ;) It is pretty good, though!

I didn't see the underlines text there :negative:

It's in the NatGeo issue about weed so I kept it around.

Prof. Moriarty
Dec 6, 2003
Not the regular Professor Moriarty, the hologram Professor Moriarty where the holodeck malfunctioned and he created the whole fake hologram enterprise and fooled the Captain. Oh, and he tried to escape with his girlfriend once, but he was foiled.

'Betting on Famine' by Jean Ziegler posted:

Noma's technical name is cancrum oris, or gangrenous stomatitis. It is a gangrenous disease, a rapidly progressive, polymicrobial, opportunistic infection that develops in the mouth and leads to tissue destruction of the face. Its primary cause is malnutrition. Noma devours the faces of malnourished children, mainly those aged one to six.

Every living creature has in its mouth a great number of micro-organisms, constituting a heavy bacterial load. In well-nourished people with good basic oral hygiene, these bacteria are kept in check by the organism's immune system. But when prolonged undernutrition or malnutrition weakens the immune system, these oral bacteria may become pathologically uncontrollable and break through the body's last immunological defenses.

The disease progresses in three stages. It begins with simple gingivitis...

If the child's mother does not have the small amount of money necessary (to buy adequate food or mouthwash during the disease's early stages), or if she does not have access to medication, or if she is unable to detect the wound in the child's mouth, or if she detects but, feeling ashamed, isolates the child, who cries and complains ceaselessly, then the last threshold is crossed. Noma becomes invincible.

First the child's face swells, then the necrosis gradually destroys all the soft tissues. The lips, the cheeks disappear; a blackish furrow opens in the tissues, then deepens and widens, leaving a yawning gap. The eyes drop down as the orbital bone is laid waste. Scar tissue deforms the face, shrinking and sealing the jaws shut, making it impossible for the child to open her mouth. The mother may now break the child's teeth on one side so that she can pour, say, some millet soup in the child's mouth in the vain hope that this grayish liquid will prevent her child from dying of hunger. The child, with her ruined face and frozen jaws, is unable to speak. With her disfigured mouth, she can no longer articulate words, and can only emit groans and guttural noises.

The sight of a child's face devoured by noma, leaving the bones of the face visible, fills her family with shame and causes them to reject or hide her, which makes it even less likely that the medical care she needs will reach her. Death generally comes in the months that follow the collapse of the child's immune system, brought on by gangrene, septicemia, pneumonia, or bloody diarrhea. Fifty percent of afflicted children die within three to five weeks. Children who survive noma are withdrawn from society, isolated, walled off in their solitude, abandoned. They sleep with the animals.

I don't have the stomach to search for images. We've engineered a world where children in the global South die horribly, traumatically, because we opt to hoard wealth.

Prof. Moriarty has a new favorite as of 09:19 on Apr 8, 2016

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Well, that's truly horrifying. I did an image search and it is as :nms: as you would imagine.

Also, interspersed with pictures of an upscale restaurant I can only assume didn't google that potential name before adopting it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So... this happened.

It's an, uh... unexpected... sequel to a famous forums unnerving story.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Holy poo poo, he's still alive?!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was he a goon?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

whiteyfats posted:

Was he a goon?

Yeah, he used to make a lot of really disconcerting posts.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

whiteyfats posted:

Was he a goon?
hell of an infamous one too

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2299

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

whiteyfats posted:

Was he a goon?

Yes he was is.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Holy poo poo.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:aaa: I thought htat dude was for sure dead and buried

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

M42 posted:

Holy poo poo, he's still alive?!

I absolutely cannot believe Caro isn't dead

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

theflyingorc posted:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hoooooly poo poo can't wait for caro to post again.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Did we pban his account or was it left open?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It seems weird that they are calling him a freelance photographer. I guess they didn't want to just call him a crazy nutjob.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Abugadu posted:

Did we pban his account or was it left open?

All his accounts were perma'd. I doubt he'd ever come back here but there's always hope he can tell us wtf happened.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
no loving way

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Starting reading about noma, came back to thread to see Caro is still alive. Ho-lee poo poo. I hope he comes home safe and gets some help.

Back to noma: the Wiki article on this had another unnerving story buried within it, that of Berthold Epstein, the Czech Jewish pediatrician who was forced to be Mengele's assistant at Auschwitz, while his family died in the camp. His research into noma, under the direction of Mengele, was instrumental in our understanding of the disease - and the research eventually included intentionally infecting healthy children with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berthold_Epstein

https://books.google.com/books?id=b...epstein&f=false

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
So will Serial Season 3 be about Caro? With at least one special episode about goons? I can only hope.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
has someone registered the "caro alive, so what" username yet?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Does anyone else really dislike the voices of the hosts of Unresolved and Lore? It's sad because I find the topics fascinating and they're well researched podcasts, but the sensationalistic tone of Unresolved and the pretentious cadence of Lore are just really offputting.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
The Caro lives, the thread so shall endure.

I have heard your plight, and will return in accordance of the pact made when light and love once ruled the land.

I will get back into my posting groove in here, promise. More stories about dead people in out of control vehicles soon.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

So... this happened.

It's an, uh... unexpected... sequel to a famous forums unnerving story.

Holy. loving. poo poo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

theflyingorc posted:

Only the good die young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

everyone posted:

Caro

Holy poo poo