Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, The Original Strife: Veteran Edition is sort of like a proto-Deus Ex on a modified Doom engine. The Veteran Edition was developed by grizzled Doom modding veterans who reverse-engineered the game since the original Strife's source code was lost forever, and they did a drat good job of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
I was worried you guys were talking about that other Strife (the S2 Games ASSFAGGOTS) for a second. I knew it didn't make sense. Because that is not a good game.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I hope the next episode (ugh it makes my eyes roll literally backwardsinto my skull calling it that) of HITMAN is worthwhile because I want to play but only having one mission even with lots of stuff to do makes me cringe up like a kangaroo penis inside a 'roo when its scared, so dont know about that but I am looking forward to it because Hitman BLood Money is still my favorite murder simulator!!!

its 2016 maybe ubisoft will make a patch for hitman and allow me to play as a hitWOman, git with ur badself!!!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Strife holds up quite well even to this day. It should've been more successful at the time, but it got overshadowed by Duke Nukem 3D.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Meowbot posted:

cringe up like a kangaroo penis inside a 'roo when its scared

so glad I tuned into steam thread today

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh cant I tick a 'I dont want any vr poo poo' somewhere?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Saint Freak posted:

... Guns do slightly too little damage. Fights take slightly too long. ... Health is slightly too rare.

The fact that RNG can make me face a boss with the starting pistol is amazing and bad. It's also not fun, especially when enemies take 3-4 pistol shots depending on the character. I only use the Convict and Hunter because they carry a second weapon. Some of the guns you find are hardly upgrades too.

Why can't all the guns be fun like the pillow or something? Just be fun.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Strife is not good but it is interesting I guess

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mierenneuker posted:

I installed Clive Barker's Jericho on a whim (no longer available for purchase) and I don't think I ever played a game before where it was that obvious they ran out of budget and/or time at the end, because it basically doesn't have an ending. I think they kill off two characters right before the final boss fight just so they had to spend less time creating that final boss.

KotOR 2 did a better job slapping something together. Even Alone in the Dark (2005) kick-in-the-nuts endings were better than the blue balls of not having an ending at all.

I maintain that Jericho has the worst ending of any game I have ever played. It resolves absolutely nothing about the story, introduces new elements that are also never resolved, and kills two of your teammates out of nowhere. Honestly if it was a smash cut to a black TO BE CONTINUED screen the moment you step into that final portal, it would have been an improvement.

Jericho is a real shame overall because the story is pretty neat and more detailed than most demon-invasion games, the levels actually get better as you go, the enemies look cool, and everything about your squad is really well done. But the combat is boring, the checkpoint system can really gently caress you up, and the ending is an atrocity. It's just bad enough to ruin all the good it has going for it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I wish that Secrets of Raetikon had an unresolved/non-existing ending instead of the actual one. Actually I wish the same thing regarding a few other games as well.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Zombie Samurai posted:

I maintain that Jericho has the worst ending of any game I have ever played. It resolves absolutely nothing about the story, introduces new elements that are also never resolved, and kills two of your teammates out of nowhere. Honestly if it was a smash cut to a black TO BE CONTINUED screen the moment you step into that final portal, it would have been an improvement.

Jericho is a real shame overall because the story is pretty neat and more detailed than most demon-invasion games, the levels actually get better as you go, the enemies look cool, and everything about your squad is really well done. But the combat is boring, the checkpoint system can really gently caress you up, and the ending is an atrocity. It's just bad enough to ruin all the good it has going for it.

I haven't fnished jericho or reading your post but friend may I introduce you to the game "Borderlands" by gearbox software famous creators of alien colonial marine?

Jericho's helicopter scene reminded me of the division the whole time I thought I was going to be about playing jericho while playing that scene. Jericho has a cool idea how can you gently caress up demons and hell and guns and etC? I mean hellgate london was easily one of the coolest ideas and I did play it during launch and I enjoyed it and its like how can you gently caress up hell and guns? How can you do it? Developers do it every day its like a dirty bomb no matter how poor or lovely or dumb your country is you can develop a dirty bomb and sell it to some cheap weirdos and in gfaming its like the same and the devestation to our wallets is much the same like a dirty bomb. I dont know if I want iranians to have dirty bombs or if I want developers to keep trying to make games with hell and guns and why not throw in some skeleton archers and warehouse levels too and a sewer while we're at it. The thing that ruined RAGE a game that has nothing to do with hell or guns really was the driving and all the open world stuff just leave me alone and go level to level and that is the only thing Jericho did right it seems is that it did not be an open world game which is like the worst part of being alive in 2016 besides zika virus and Ebola if you still live in Africa and didnt move out to get the zika virus or somewhere else and get bitten by a poisonous spider lol

duckfarts posted:

so glad I tuned into steam thread today

sorry I will NWS my post next time

since I saw the words strife on this page and to detract you from the frothing rabid mess that is my previous post about jericho the game but borderlands is worse because the ending is the worse and the rest of the game is probably worse than jericho too. I played strife back in the holy days of 199X and I bought it at some side of the road pawn store thing we had in Montana - you see we didnth ave like gamestop or best buy or even walmart we had like drive out 5-10 miles out side of town and sometimes find PC games that some one didn't want and I would get them for a few dollars. I bought strife and I enjoyed it. IT was an egyptian half life / heretic but better because I never liked half life in the first place it had the worst net code and omg head crabs :eyerolls: give me shub niggurath an shamblers and dogs real enemies not this nanny whanny sissy pansy head crabs lack of ending and with all that technology why didnt you just call 911 and say hey listen the cops are corrupt and attacking me in this base here is where im at its called black mesa but nope i guess if you didnt have a cell phone back then it would have been hard but now a days if they made an half life 3 or something there would be a 400+ hour area where you had to camp and wait in the sewers for the government to log into a BBS and download a file to unlock a phone and access a key code but at least it would be in VR so you could look at jill redfields buttocks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quick question about the new Tomb Raider since I think I'm getting near the end of the main campaign: Is there gonna be a big obvious point of no return like in the first one so that I can go and 100% everything if I wanted?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Quick question about the new Tomb Raider since I think I'm getting near the end of the main campaign: Is there gonna be a big obvious point of no return like in the first one so that I can go and 100% everything if I wanted?
yep

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't really get it. Why do they bother warning you when the game plops you back down in the world afterward and you can still do everything you could before? It's not like Mass Effect where you have to have that stuff wrapped up before the game ends.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Because, why not?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DrNutt posted:

I don't really get it. Why do they bother warning you when the game plops you back down in the world afterward and you can still do everything you could before? It's not like Mass Effect where you have to have that stuff wrapped up before the game ends.

it autosaves inside the final area and you can't leave to get more supplies etc

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Direct2Drive why.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

iGestalt posted:

Direct2Drive why.

I still hate them for stealing swat 4

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Mr E posted:

Well, the game does feature an early level where you have to rescue someone from a crazy neckbeards dungeon. I guess they are trying to appeal to that demographic now?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

iGestalt posted:

Direct2Drive why.
their twitter feed is full of pandering to MRAs it's pretty funny/sad

https://twitter.com/Direct2Drive/status/714861072684027904
https://twitter.com/Direct2Drive/status/712038889599455234
https://twitter.com/Direct2Drive/status/707298689367326724

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr E posted:

Wait, what?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They fell so far behind all the other digital stores that i guess their only chance for being even talked about is doing stuff like this

The last time I bought something from them was Bioshock Infinite back when they were under different ownership/management a few years ago

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Pretty progressive of them to hire a living Cheeto to run their Twitter account

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm trying to figure out why the gently caress I keep getting emails from D2D since I'm 99% positive I've never ordered anything through them. If I did, it might've been one game that just wasn't on Steam for whatever reason and I can't even recall what it could be.

e: Also don't know why I didn't unsub sooner.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i guess when you have no customers pathetically pandering to gullible MRAs would be more profitable

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

Wait, what?

For whatever reason D2D were literally the only online store that could sell SWAT4. Then they were sold to Gamefly I think and somewhere in that transition SWAT 4 was lost. Gamefly has since sold D2D again.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So whats this threads opinion on the new Hitman game?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MariusLecter posted:

I killed a dude by sending him through a warehouse ceiling with an ejector seat and am now dressed as a stylist perving backstage at a fashion show.

It's a proper Hitman game.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Ddraig posted:

I killed a dude by sending him through a warehouse ceiling with an ejector seat and am now dressed as a stylist perving backstage at a fashion show.

It's a proper Hitman game.

And on the other hand, I can't play it for more than 5 minutes before I'm booted back to the main menu because of the always-online garbage.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Is there any reason to buy Hitman episodically rather than waiting until the end when it's all released?

I know there'd been talk of time-limited challenges being pushed out all the time but is that actually happening?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

bonds0097 posted:

Is there any reason to buy Hitman episodically rather than waiting until the end when it's all released?

I know there'd been talk of time-limited challenges being pushed out all the time but is that actually happening?

Not yet, apparently the timed one-shot challenges aren't launching until close to the launch of episode 2 (which is the end of the month).

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

We'll let you know once it's finished :smith:
Right now you pay for the tutorial and one (decent) level. The deadline for the next level was already pushed back once. The online world of rear end assination events thing is nowhere to be seen yet.

By the way, if you enjoy crime adventures you need to have this https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/sherlock-holmes-crimes-and-punishments-steam-key--2638-1
Lots of daily deals going on at gamesplanet atm.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 7, 2016

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

For whatever reason D2D were literally the only online store that could sell SWAT4. Then they were sold to Gamefly I think and somewhere in that transition SWAT 4 was lost. Gamefly has since sold D2D again.

The harddrive I had been keeping my SWAT 4 installation on for the past 6 years finally died. It was a sad day. That game really hasn't been matched since.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Here's a good bad, horrible, lovely, garbage recap of giantbomb's 10 hour stream where they tested out the HTC Vive. Don't watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ0JTkBZdyw

e: edited to be less biased.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 8, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Odobenidae posted:

Here's a good recap of giantbomb's 10 hour stream where they tested out the HTC Vive.

I've only watched the first 2 minutes and it was enough to more than confirm my first reactions after watching the trailers on Steam. Bad kinect games galore, holy lol. It seems that Ryse is more interactive than this. And now back to watching the rest of the video.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Job Simulator looks pretty funny and that video looks like it cut all the parts out where they enjoyed that game and laughed and had fun with it.

Overall the Giant Bomb's experience with the Vive was positive :shrug:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

Here's a good recap of giantbomb's 10 hour stream where they tested out the HTC Vive.

I'm not surprised, but nice Wii games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Odobenidae posted:

lol this poo poo makes the early kinect stuff look insanely good

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lmao at the google line around his face. How long til we start seeing goggle-shaped acne breakouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

Lmao at the google line around his face.

THEY TOLD ME THAT I COULD BE ANYTHING

SO I BECAME A RACCOON

• Locked thread