Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I second Contest of Champions being great. I'm definitely looking forward to where Ewing's going with this.

Although I think that response on the letters page was a teeny bit patronising.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I love that we've got things set up for a Punisher v Punisher battle soon, in the unlikely event of Night Thrasher, greatest hero in the universe, failing in his plan to get them all out of there. If this story ends with him meeting Galactus and gaining the power cosmic to ride the galaxy on a suped-up skateboard, I will have no complaints

And yes, The Vision remains a work of brilliance. I will miss it greatly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its a story that really benefits from an arc though. Cant just be dragged out serially, I just dont think it'd work that way.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Is it ending for sure after 12 issues? Or would they continue with a different writer?

I'm new to comics in general, so I don't know what it usually means when a writer leaves and when King said he'd finish the story he wanted to tell, I didn't know if that meant an arc or the whole run.

And yeah, it probably wouldn't work as a long-running thing, but dammit, this is the first comic I ever buy and it's amazing, engrossing, I love it so much... And it'll be over in 6 months. That's my luck.

Parasol Prophet fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 7, 2016

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Has New Avengers gotten that much better? I dropped it after the first arc because I wasn't into the story or art at all, which was a shame because I'm a big Ewing fan. I also dropped Contest of Champions because it felt completely divorced from everything else and I thought I'd be fine to read it in trade or on MU. Sounds like that might have been a mistake too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vision was already really good but holy poo poo #6 escalated things quickly.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I think Vision's story is done at issue 12 too, but I'd really like to see King's character work on other characters. Imagine a Captain America or Moon Knight by him.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

DrProsek posted:

I wonder if audiobooks for comics exist. Like how on Daredevil there's that audio mode for blind people that describes the scenes of the show audibly.

Or they could just go with Stan Lee books.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A-Force's new art is fantastic.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/a-force-5-marvel-comics-2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Perhaps they improved the writing as well?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm pretty much brand-new to comics but I picked up BP #1.

I felt it was good but the dialog, and prose in general, was really stilted. I know that's T'Challa's Thing, but it's part of the reason I don't really much like, say, Thor. It felt especially awkward here where ideas had a difficult time being communicated, and thus understood, amidst the weird syncopation to everyone's speech patterns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since I'm only on this side of it it could just be bias, but is a lot of talent moving from DC to Marvel?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least until you scroll down to the faces.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Team Handsome Squidward.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I'm pretty much brand-new to comics but I picked up BP #1.

I felt it was good but the dialog, and prose in general, was really stilted. I know that's T'Challa's Thing, but it's part of the reason I don't really much like, say, Thor. It felt especially awkward here where ideas had a difficult time being communicated, and thus understood, amidst the weird syncopation to everyone's speech patterns.

Part of that may be deliberate as you say but bear in mind that Ta'nehisi Coates is new to writing comics (maybe fiction in general?) as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Speaking of previews, oh man, the art in Moon Knight is gorgeous.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/moon-knight-1-marvel-comics-2016-1

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sheesh that looks good

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Since I'm only on this side of it it could just be bias, but is a lot of talent moving from DC to Marvel?

Apparently Prez is still coming back with Caudwell, so I don't know if I'd count this.
Charles Soule, Jeff Lemire and Andreas Sorrentino moving to Marvel were huge last year. They were doing comics all over, but mostly for DC, while DC got John Romita Jr. I think Marvel won that one.

Now DC's got a Sam Humphries comic coming out while Cullen Bunn's seemingly quit them. Greg Pak strangely didn't have a Rebirth comic announced, so I'd say that's one for Marvel, but it just got announced that he's on this new Kamandi project, so I dunno. His Action Comics artist, Aaron Kuder was absent from the Rebirth announcement, while just getting pegged for Marvel covers. That might be something. Tom King got married to DC, which put an end to him writing Marvel's best comic.

The biggest loss for DC right now is definitely the entire Batgirl team to an Image comic, but there was also Marvel guys Esad Ribic and Jerome Opena at that thing. Genevieve Valentine fell out of DC, but hasn't got a Marvel comic either. Both companies threw away Marguerite Bennett this year.

I'm gonna stop trying to think of examples now, but it doesn't seem to be a landslide either way.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 8, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

Only Carol looks weird.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

Only Carol looks weird.

yeah everyone else is fine but carol straight up looks like The Mask

or the dude from Mask

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Apparently Prez is still coming back with Caudwell, so I don't know if I'd count this.
Charles Soule, Jeff Lemire and Andreas Sorrentino were huge last year. They weren't exclusive, but were doing mostly DC, while DC got John Romita Jr. I think Marvel won that one.

Now DC's got a Sam Humphries comic coming out while Cullen Bunn's seemingly quit them. Greg Pak strangely didn't have a Rebirth comic announced, so I'd say that's one for Marvel, but it just got announced that he's on this new Kamandi project, so I dunno. His Action Comics artist, Aaron Kuder was absent from the Rebirth announcement, while just getting pegged for Marvel covers. That might be something. Tom King got married to DC, which put an end to him writing Marvel's best comic.

The biggest loss for DC right now is definitely the entire Batgirl team to an Image comic, but there was also Marvel guys Esad Ribic and Jerome Opena at that thing. Genevieve Valentine fell out of DC, but hasn't got a Marvel comic either. Both companies threw away Marguerite Bennett this year.

I'm gonna stop trying to think of examples now, but it doesn't seem to be a landslide either way.

I have no idea how exclusivity or contracts work, are most creators free to do whatever or are most locked into a single company?

X-O posted:

Speaking of previews, oh man, the art in Moon Knight is gorgeous

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/moon-knight-1-marvel-comics-2016-1

Should I be psyched about a Lemire Moon Knight?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Superstring posted:

I think Vision's story is done at issue 12 too, but I'd really like to see King's character work on other characters. Imagine a Captain America or Moon Knight by him.

Unfortunately for that idea Tom King signed an exclusivity deal with DC.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

zoux posted:

While I don't like his Extraordinary X-Men, his work on solo characters has been good and I can see some loose thematic similarities between OML and Moon Knight.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Eh? I don't know if "psyched" is the best word. Cautiously optimistic?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zoux posted:

I have no idea how exclusivity or contracts work, are most creators free to do whatever or are most locked into a single company?

Most are freelance. For the DC Rebirth event they made a big deal out of exclusive signings, but it was still only around 10 writers and artists.

I find Lemire has about a 50% chance of me loving his comic or being pretty disappointed.
Have you read his other stuff? Animal Man and Green Arrow are good superhero runs from him. Old Man Logan is going well currently.
His indie stuff is the best, but those sensibilities don't seem to come out very strongly in his 'big two' comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 8, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nah, but I've heard he's one of DC's better writers. Or at least one of the writers who I hear about at all.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Lemire's indie stuff is his best. I thought Animal Man started off good, but peetered out pretty quick and I didnt really enjoy any of his other DC stuff. I attributed it to DC editing, but his Marvel stuff is just okay, no where near his stuff like Sweet Tooth or Underwater Welder. I've heard his Valiant stuff is great, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't Bennett doing Rebirth Wonder Woman?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

muscles like this? posted:

Unfortunately for that idea Tom King signed an exclusivity deal with DC.

He's writing Batman, that's the same as Moon Knight, right? :downs:

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't Bennett doing Rebirth Wonder Woman?

She got bumped for Rucka.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Absolutely loving New Avengers and Vision. For...reeeally different reasons, of course.

I'm starting to find Scarlet Witch kinda blah when it's not actively annoying. Robinson feels like he's going for a Gaiman thing but it's completely heavy-handed and lacking in any nuance. Worse, I'm not sure if he realizes that by really forcing the idea of Wanda being persecuted as a witch, he's just making it seem like she's being oversensitive to completely innocuous people. On the first page of issue five a priest goes "Geez, it's strange to be accepting help from a pagan" or something and Wanda's like ":smugjones: I'll try not to be insulted" and it's like, dafuq? Chillax, lady, that wasn't an insult!

Later she and a nun are like "Lol old priets just don't like powerful women amirite? and it's just...what. The priest barely got two words in before you two started getting fake-offended. This is not how you depict discrimination, Robinson! Unless the offending party actually does something discriminating, it just comes across like the recipient is oversensitive! It reminds of those exchanges where someone's like "Man I love snow" and someone else goes "What do mean you hate black people??"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

She got bumped for Rucka.

Well even though I liked Bennett's Angela, that's a upgrade.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Can't wait for my favourite crazy caped crusader, but I'm off on holiday until Friday so my body will have to wait. :(

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

BrianWilly posted:

Absolutely loving New Avengers and Vision. For...reeeally different reasons, of course.

I'm starting to find Scarlet Witch kinda blah when it's not actively annoying. Robinson feels like he's going for a Gaiman thing but it's completely heavy-handed and lacking in any nuance. Worse, I'm not sure if he realizes that by really forcing the idea of Wanda being persecuted as a witch, he's just making it seem like she's being oversensitive to completely innocuous people. On the first page of issue five a priest goes "Geez, it's strange to be accepting help from a pagan" or something and Wanda's like ":smugjones: I'll try not to be insulted" and it's like, dafuq? Chillax, lady, that wasn't an insult!

Later she and a nun are like "Lol old priets just don't like powerful women amirite? and it's just...what. The priest barely got two words in before you two started getting fake-offended. This is not how you depict discrimination, Robinson! Unless the offending party actually does something discriminating, it just comes across like the recipient is oversensitive! It reminds of those exchanges where someone's like "Man I love snow" and someone else goes "What do mean you hate black people??"

Yeah, Scarlet Witch has dropped pretty fast from "must read every week" to I'll get it if it's a light week. Also, I think witch discrimination might actually be a worse metaphor for discrimination than mutants. Having Dillon draw one issue really helped kill the flow for me, I just couldn't read it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I've been wondering as I read old silver age Marvel, did Stan Lee have a ghost writer? Or is it just coincidence that a lot of the books he was writer on improved significantly in '64 and 65?

Edit: I actually just answered my own question. The "marvel method" explains what happened. It seems Lee also became better at writing in general too.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 10, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

By that point it's hard to tell if Stan was even involved with FF or Thor at all. Kirby's later work shows that he can follow Lee's style almost exactly. My favorite era of Thor, 160-169, you can tell that Stan only polished some dialogue because the plots are the sort of sci fi god stuff Kirby did when he went solo in the 70's.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Die Laughing posted:

By that point it's hard to tell if Stan was even involved with FF or Thor at all. Kirby's later work shows that he can follow Lee's style almost exactly. My favorite era of Thor, 160-169, you can tell that Stan only polished some dialogue because the plots are the sort of sci fi god stuff Kirby did when he went solo in the 70's.

I hate had a chance to dig into FF, Thor, Iron Man, or Hulk yet. I just noticed that Avengers and Spider-Man change in quality about the same time and it is just odd.

It looks like a combination of the "marvel method" and Lee becoming more hands on with the scripts. A lot of the early books he plotted, but had a scripters writing the comic. At least this is what I'm gathering from scanning wiki and a few articles. I'm in no way a marvel historian. So my first question is probably wrong from the beginning.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So this weekend I finally got around to reading Hickman's FF run and as someone who hadn't really read any FF I actually really got into it. But the reason I'm posting about it is the memorial for Johnny issue and the scene where Thor and Hulk take Ben out to the desert so Ben can let out his anger on them, plus the way Hickman was able to do it without any dialogue, kinda got me in the feefees a little, which I'd say is an accomplishment since I had no prior emotional investment in the characters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When they "killed" Johnny, did they do that whole "Oh he's dead for ever and for sure" marketing stuff?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if they literally said that, but that arc was called '3' or something and had countdown on the cover with a '4' tombstone and all that.

e: 'Countdown to Casualty!'

ee: and a polybag for the issue, of course.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

When they "killed" Johnny, did they do that whole "Oh he's dead for ever and for sure" marketing stuff?

As usual, yeah.

• Locked thread