Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderX
Sep 5, 2013

Let's start a gimmick that isn't shit, how about dogges? :woof:

~Not SMcD
Man that reminded me how retarded BRUCE were. First group of guys I played with. Corp was great, alliance was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Could someone explain the acronyms to me? Goonwaffe, FA, all this weird stuff that is going on? Why people hate each other and begin page long slapfights?

Just help me understand with facts and not emotion and I will be very happy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Who got pissed off and hit the report button?

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

VideoGames posted:

Could someone explain the acronyms to me? Goonwaffe, FA, all this weird stuff that is going on? Why people hate each other and begin page long slapfights?

http://www.eveacronyms.com
I'd post some more but I'm trying to work a bit. :smithicide:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

VideoGames posted:

What you're asking for is pretty tricky since the slap fighting going on is caused by a couple of things:

1. People get really invested into this stupid game. So you've got people on all sides of the war coming in here and sticking their noses in who can be pretty charged up about their specific faction. People will literally pay :10bux: just to get in to this thread and argue. Check people's post histories. Also the history of grudges in this game runs very deep. Some of this hate goes back a decade.

2. Actual arguments about who is/is not winning the war are inevitably going to dissolve into chaos because there's no real "win condition" in the traditional sense other games subscribe to. I suppose the closest thing to a true win is to force your enemy to stop logging in/resisting which leads me to my next point

3. You also need to know that the actual war extends outside of the game client. The "meta game" of EVE is arguably more important in some ways than what actually happens inside the client. If you accept that the only way to win is to stop the enemy logging in, and the only way to do that is to shatter morale, then propaganda is a valid tactic. So you're going to have people propping up their side and snidely disparaging the other side to try and make the other side give up. Its not just here. The argument gets carried out on reddit, other (shittier) forum sites and media sites. EVE has a glut of bloggers and media sites of its own all reporting and selling their side of the war.

All in all, its a recipe for intrigue pretty much unlike anything else, but it also does bring out the howler monkeys as well. Sorry about that.

Edit:

This war is set to be particularly brutal because an in game gambling site is bankrolling the non-goon side into fighting us, and for the first time, the Goon side is the smaller side. Many are seeing it as a real threat to the Goon supremacy which has largely been untested in 6 odd years. We are unloved by the unwashed masses so they're all salivating at the idea of us dirty goons finally getting what's coming to us, so they're spreading their poo poo around and smugging it up (prematurely).

vvv edit: see?

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 7, 2016

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

I mean you lost control of ~5 regions in 10 days, moved to lowsec, are seeing really awful fleet participation and have had almost a dozen titans aborted in CSAAs - they can't smug just a bit?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RazNation posted:

Holy crap! How old is that map?

BoB was a thing back when?

Few pages back but that'd have to be the very end of BoB because before that they owned the entire left side of the map and managed to grab Paragon Soul, Esoteria, and Feythabolis before they started losing ground

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

kiresays posted:

I mean you lost control of ~5 regions in 10 days, moved to lowsec, are seeing really awful fleet participation and have had almost a dozen titans aborted in CSAAs - they can't smug just a bit?

Technically we moved to lowsec a while ago! :sun:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Goons have been in saran for months now, way before any of this junk

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.

kiresays posted:

Staging out of lowsec and moving to lowsec are two very different things, it's not like the bulk of our coalition doesn't still live in null. The rest are good points though, especially the Super abortions.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

Ok fine guys fine, scratch lowsec off the list

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGames posted:

GoonWaffe is the EVE corp (think guild) for the EVE Goons. Their alliance (a collection of corporations) is GoonSwarm Federation.

FA is Fatal Ascension, a long mocked ally of GoonSwarm Federation because of a variety of things they did that were sort of silly and embarassing. One of them being a presentation at the EVE Fanfest (think Blizzcon) where the speaker just sort of rambled on incoherently and brought a guy up on stage to show off his tattoo of the FA group logo. There are other allies and groups in the game that, similarly, are mocked because that's just what happens. There's a few memes about various groups that get repeated, eg. -A- is poo poo, "Don't gently caress With The Russians", PL abandons allies during the Alliance Tournament (yearly pvp tournament), etc.

Myself, and a few other SA Goons, aren't in GoonSwarm Fed and our two respective sides are at war in the game so there's obviously some trash talking as a result. Most people (Kimsemus, myself, Deadtear, Darth Cookie, etc.) try to keep it pretty lighthearted while others (on both the GoonSwarm & non-GoonSwarm sides) can't really help themselves and don't do that. Some of the people involved have, like Darth Cookie said, grudges against other people or groups spanning years because of stuff in EVE and act out on it from time to time. While I disagree with a few of the minor points he made, Darth Cookie did a decent job explaining why some of the slapfighting occurs over dumb things related to the game that we all jokingly say is terrible and we wish we were set free from.

So far only Deadtear (aka FruitAndYogurtPartfait) has been successful in doing so. Legend tells he will return and shepherd us to the promise land of "not EVE" but some fear that day will never come.

Also if you want to know a bit about the war that's in-game right now I did a video on it and it somehow got put on Kotaku for some reason - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aJz4n21gD8

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 7, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

kiresays posted:

Its all part of the plan. :smugbert:

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine
So when Dek falls in a week or two can we make it official that goons are living in lowsec?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If that actually happens and if that's what we do, then sure. :shrug:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

kiresays posted:

I mean you lost control of ~5 regions in 10 days

but losing 20 regions in a single patch is nbd right

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Nyeh, UO had houses and that was a big part of the game. Opening up your house as a place people could look at, destroy (even potentially blow up), using it as a shop, luring players into it to kill them. I think the only problem with MMO housing was the privatized instance of a house which truly seals players off from one another (which was a another lovely thing about going to theme park instances instead of globalized zones). I think the bigger problem was creating enough interesting and meaningful space to actually place enough houses. Perhaps you can't have houses if they're privatized, because the game feels hollow and empty when bereft of players. But when you allow non-instanced houses in the open world, it forces the open world to be huge and feel hollow and empty. lol, hi eve.

Although, I played Anarchy Online, from release more than I'd like to admit, and more recently than I'd like to admit. I think I've set foot into that apartment maybe a dozen times. There's no mechanical advantage to it, it doesn't do anything, so why even go there?

UO was quite avantgarde. You could cut down the body of someone you just bested in PvP and cook the parts.

Despera posted:

You mean quackvatars?

Yes, how long has it been since we have last heard of SMcD?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

dragonstalking posted:

So when Dek falls in a week or two can we make it official that goons are living in lowsec?

:smug:

Sure why not?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

almighty posted:

UO was quite avantgarde. You could cut down the body of someone you just bested in PvP and cook the parts.

:stare:

I sometimes wish I'd been born just a little bit earlier so I could have participated in UO in its prime. Also I now want this in EVE. :smith:

almighty posted:

I think if mine is a genuine SMcD, it may be the most recent one granted from this thread (which is kinda sad since its like a year old or more or something now)

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

almighty posted:

Maybe he finally won both eve and the eve thread.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

darth cookie posted:

:stare:

I sometimes wish I'd been born just a little bit earlier so I could have participated in UO in its prime. Also I now want this in EVE. :smith:

Same. I never played UO or any of the Ultima games, EVE is the only MMO I've stuck with past a month. :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I am old enough to have played UO but I had no way of paying for it, practically speaking.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I take that back. I played City of Heroes/Villains for like 5 months then had to stop and never got to play it again before they shut it down for good.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

VideoGames posted:

One side normally loses, is winning and super smug about it.
The other side normally wins, is losing and super upset about it.

It doesn't describe all members of either side but it might as well because they never shut the gently caress up.

If it was football, it's Brazil vs Germany 2014 right now.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 7, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty much.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:frogsiren: New Rooks and Kings video :frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-PbDCyh6tI

EvE is such a loving beautiful game

The above video has a neutral tone, so don't worry about getting Redditbrain watching it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RnK always put together great videos. I genuinely wish my computer could handle recording that stuff without blowing up.

Also in other EVE video news, Andrew Groen (guy who wrote the History of EVE's Empires) put this video together about the Battle of C-J6MT when it was RA vs Coalition of the South.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WkYqWn3HSQ

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Unfunny Poster posted:

lso in other EVE video news, Andrew Groen (guy who wrote the History of EVE's Empires) put this video together about the Battle of C-J6MT when it was RA vs Coalition of the South.

:gizz::corsair: :eyepop:

If the rest of the book has a script of that quality.... yeah, well I just bought it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
lol a map from 2008 is hardly old school

These are oldschool

First appearance of BoB

Beginning of the Great War

Goons get space!

BoB's high water mark

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 7, 2016

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I read the free sample on Amazon, and it's actually pretty darn good. I can't see myself spending $50 for the hardcover anytime soon, but might get and read the kindle one.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

SpiderX posted:

Man that reminded me how retarded BRUCE were. First group of guys I played with. Corp was great, alliance was terrible.

Killing BRUCE was really fun, they honestly thought they could take (old, ravenous barbarian) PL in a fight because they "had numbers"

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
So real life has kept me away from EvE for almost a week, have I missed anything earth shattering? Have we crushed our enemies and are purging them from the galaxy? Have we been evicted yet? Should I evac all my poo poo to Saranen (pragmatically though, should I do this just in case)? Do I need to firesale all my poo poo and go ride bikes? Inquiring minds want to know!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

dragonstalking posted:

lol that you think it's only going to take a week or two to take dek

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Huge_Midget posted:

So real life has kept me away from EvE for almost a week, have I missed anything earth shattering? Have we crushed our enemies and are purging them from the galaxy? Have we been evicted yet? Should I evac all my poo poo to Saranen (pragmatically though, should I do this just in case)? Do I need to firesale all my poo poo and go ride bikes? Inquiring minds want to know!

Most fleets start out from Saranen anyway, so move your stuff there whether you intend to stay and fight or evac to Jita/veldspar

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Huge_Midget posted:

Get your caps outa dek, small poo poo for fighting in Saranen, small poo poo for raising ADM's in dek.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

pugnax posted:

I read the free sample on Amazon, and it's actually pretty darn good. I can't see myself spending $50 for the hardcover anytime soon, but might get and read the kindle one.

I got the hardcover, and it's really nice. It has full page art spreads depicting various battles, and painted portraits of alliance leaders. It's a nice coffee table piece.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Potato Salad posted:

:gizz::corsair: :eyepop:

If the rest of the book has a script of that quality.... yeah, well I just bought it.

Yeah it sort of does. C-J was the opening story for the book. I highly recommend it, and since he ended at the fall of BoB it'd be cool to see him do a "Volume 2" kinda deal and do the stuff from 2011 to whenever.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol a map from 2008 is hardly old school

These are oldschool

:swoon: Where did you pull those up from and could you link the archive? I'm working on a thing and would love to get access to those older maps since I can only find the ones that date back to July 2005 that are on EVE-Files.

http://www.eve-files.com/media/corp/CRII/

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 7, 2016

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
just added another courier contract to the pile Zephyrine. Thanks fam

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

VideoGames posted:

"The Imperium" which used to be labeled 'the CFC (Clusterfuck Coalition)' is the coalition centered around GoonSwarm Federation (GSF) and has had several (pubbie) member alliances such as Space Monkey's Alliance (SMA), Fatal Ascension (:rip:) (FA), Executive Outcomes (EXE), Tactical Narcotics Team (TNT), Fidelas Constans (FCON), Razor Alliance (RZR), Get Off My Lawn (LAWN), The Initiative (INIT), The Bastion (BASTN) and formerly Circle of Two (CO2) who recently left after costing the coalition ~800b in losses defending their space and infrastructure. They are currently embroiled in a sovwar from literally just about every other lowsec/nullsec alliance in the game, the more talked about foes are Pandemic Legion (PL), Northern Coalitiondot (NC.), Mercenary Coalition (MC), Pandemic Horde (PH or Horde), Sniggwaffe (Waffles), Out of Sight (OoS), TEST (Test Alliance Please Ignore), Infinity Space (IN.SP) and half a dozen other people nobody really cares about.

Currently, the Imperium is/was based out of these regions:

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Vale_of_the_Silent which was already surrendered and is being taken over primarily by TEST.
http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Pure_Blind is a poo poo region that is only really held for bad allies and logistical purposes, plus a few money moons.
http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Tribute which was conquered from perennial foe NC. years ago and is being taken by CO2.
http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Fade is a buffer region between Deklein and Pure Blind. Nobody worth a gently caress has ever lived here.
http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Branch which was taken from White Noise in 2012 now being conquered by OoS.
http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Deklein is the Imperium's main region and home to GSF.

The orange circles on the map show systems currently being contested.

Venom Snake posted:

lol that you think it's only going to take a week or two to take dek

If the Imperium isn't going to defend it, yeah probably.

kiresays posted:

Ok fine guys fine, scratch lowsec off the list

How's "they've moved to space other than the space they pay billions of isk in sov fees for monthly"?

Xolve fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

RnK always put together great videos. I genuinely wish my computer could handle recording that stuff without blowing up.

Also in other EVE video news, Andrew Groen (guy who wrote the History of EVE's Empires) put this video together about the Battle of C-J6MT when it was RA vs Coalition of the South.

Special thanks to MOA? :getout:

• Locked thread