Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's basically Fixed Earthcraft, it's cool. It's kindof a shame it will never get to combine with Jeskai Ascendancy in standard.

e: probably not that good overall but it will at least be a fun gimmick deck, I'm thinking Secure the Wastes powering out a second Secure the Wastes

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He compares it to Heritage Druid directly. He didn't seem to notice that Heritage Druid allows you to tap elves cast that turn.

He says Show & Tell and Demonic Tutor aren't legal in Modern, but the reason they're not is the same reason Pygmy Allosaurus isn't.

Christ, he acknowledges April Fools Day even.

The man isn't very smart in his justification or comparisons that is super true.

Look maybe there is a deck where it's relevant and good; likely there isn't. And if there is it's likely to be a token based deck that is going to be fearing Languish and/or Flaying Tendrils anyway and therefore isn't going to get far.

Please do dredge this post out though when some sort of Tokens/Ramp strat wins the PT; my interest in standard is non-existent except from a "I'm gonna look up this deck that is on this stream in between draft rounds/while I'm procrastinating watch CBF vids, OK done I get what it's doing."

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 7, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gridlocked posted:

The man isn't very smart.

He's an inspirational message to other content creators: you don't actually need to know anything to get views.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He's an inspirational message to other content creators: you don't actually need to know anything to get views.

Re: Travis Woo

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gridlocked posted:

Re: Travis Woo

He knew the jews controlled the german media and left the honest german folks no choice

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This is irrelevant, but I installed AutocardAnywhere and pictures are not showing, along with pictures from magiccards.info. I presume this is because of the (not so) recent SA update, but is there any info on how to fix it? Imgur stuff is fine, and I remember domains being a thing, but not any more details, and google isn't helping much.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Rinkles posted:

The Duels story mode inspired me

That's kinda obvious in hindsight.

Please don’t be disrespectful of the story. You might not care but others do.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Have Blue posted:

Guess mtgo had to even out opening dark depths and a sick draft with 5 auroch herds and a sunscour. Ended with a round 2 loss. G1 I couldnt draw another land or white card to wrath. G2 I torturously held on and drew through my entire deck (lands first!) only for sunscour to be the literal last card in my deck. Man this game can tilt me like no other.

As a newer player it's neat exploring old draft environments that I otherwise wouldn't be able to play, but wow Coldsnap sucks, especially compared to Ravnica block. It just seems super awkward with parasitic build around mechanics that boil down to taking multiple copies of the same card. Am I just misreading the format?

Nope Coldsnap is a horrendous draft format

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

He knew the jews controlled the german media and left the honest german folks no choice

Don't worry, he still makes some of the dumbest, most drug induced videos on youtube.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Okay so there are a couple of things that are true about this format.
1) Removal is amazing
2) Aggro is slow even without removal being poo poo hot
3) gently caress paying $80 for Vryn's Prodigy

Therefore, the correct deck to play is creatureless control. Specifically, UB Demonic Pact Control.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-04-16-ub-pact/

Check THIS poo poo out!
The exact mix of removal spells is very meta-dependent but the concept does work. Spot remove stuff in the early turns, get a Pact out and start doing nasty things with it, Crush when it's time, do it all over again. As the game goes on they draw more and more removal which will just be sitting in their hand, you'll be nuts deep in cards advantage thanks to Pact and Ob Nixilis and you can just grind out a W from there. Pact is really great, it's like the most OP planeswalker ever printed. I run 8 ways to bounce it which feels like exactly enough, with a pair of Petitions acting as 9 and 10. I don't love Clash of Wills or Disperse although both are great ways to deal with Secure the Wastes into Abbey. Also don't know if the mana is quite right.

I've tested it against UW tempo, WB midrange, and Gruulamog. UW tempo didn't get a single game against me, I did pretty well against WB midrange, and absolutely dumpstered RG ramp. How do yall think this will fare in Standard? I ended up taking out pretty much everything from SOI which is a bummer, anything from there that I should throw in?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
CML has some new videos to promote his "gonzo" history of Magic book with none other than TWoo. Because of course he does.

http://youtu.be/tWc5L5pblrQ

Edit: I'm pretty sure CML has his shirt buttons mismatched and that Woo might be wearing a CFB tshirt turned inside out

whydirt fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 7, 2016

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

That video looks extremely...greasy.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That's also just the first of three videos.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sharzak posted:

1) Removal is amazing

Therefore, the correct deck to play is creatureless control. Specifically, UB Demonic Pact Control.

Check THIS poo poo out!
The exact mix of removal spells is very meta-dependent but the concept does work. Spot remove stuff in the early turns, get a Pact out and start doing nasty things with it, Crush when it's time, do it all over again. As the game goes on they draw more and more removal which will just be sitting in their hand, you'll be nuts deep in cards advantage thanks to Pact and Ob Nixilis and you can just grind out a W from there. Pact is really great, it's like the most OP planeswalker ever printed. I run 8 ways to bounce it which feels like exactly enough, with a pair of Petitions acting as 9 and 10. I don't love Clash of Wills or Disperse although both are great ways to deal with Secure the Wastes into Abbey. Also don't know if the mana is quite right.

I've tested it against UW tempo, WB midrange, and Gruulamog. UW tempo didn't get a single game against me, I did pretty well against WB midrange, and absolutely dumpstered RG ramp. How do yall think this will fare in Standard? I ended up taking out pretty much everything from SOI which is a bummer, anything from there that I should throw in?

This looks pretty rad. Are there any utility lands worth running here? It seems like you have enough duals, those uncommon SOI duals might be better off as something else.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Just finished up a Scars of Mirrodin draft where I pulled a Mox Opal (that didn't do anything in any game) and a Mindslaver (which pretty much ended every game I played it) I also got a prototype portal I didn't manage to play all game, and a Precursor Golem.

Boros Artifacts was a real thing and it was incredibly fun.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
That's a point of contention I have with myself. At first I ran 27 lands, two of them being the colorless thopter land, but got absolutely zero mileage out of it. I dropped both of those and added an island and a To The Slaughter. In light of that I could probably stand to drop an ETBT tapped land for a swamp. The deck feels slightly better at 26 lands with better color access. The Foundry land is the only utility land I can think of that this deck could really use but I could easily be forgetting something.

What's the Khans block card that shuffles your graveyard into your library for like 4U? Called Remember the Past but not quite that? That might be worth running one of in the sideboard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Run Compelling Deterrence over Disperse to make your opponent think you're playing zombies

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Wurzag posted:

But jace is the worst detective ever. He knows nahiri exists and yet is totally mystified at who could possibly be doing all this stone magic. At least tamiyo has never heard of nahiri before.

He really is the worst detective. He lucksacks into finding the journal of an actually intelligent, skilled investigator that all but spells out the answers for him, and he still can't figure it out. He goes to the drownyard and sees zombies so obviously zombies = Liliana was behind it all! Better go confront her! He reminds me of Inspector Clousseau from the Pink Panther.

Does anybody have a link to that thread that was about an autistic detective? I remember a line about the sky being the color of exactly 47 chicken nuggets and I really want to read the thread again.

EDIT: I found it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636034&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 7, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sharzak posted:

1) Removal is amazing

Check THIS poo poo out!

Not sure about the 3x Oath of Jace with only one Planeswalker ever in play. They're a decent delerium enabler but it doesn't look like your deck does much with it or is shaped to enable it consistently.

Also the thing I'd be the most afraid of is getting into a control mirror and just getting stuffed by your own Demonic Pact when they counter your attempt to pick it up.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah that list would feel a lot better with all four Disperse, I think.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Voyager I posted:

Not sure about the 3x Oath of Jace with only one Planeswalker ever in play. They're a decent delerium enabler but it doesn't look like your deck does much with it or is shaped to enable it consistently.

Also the thing I'd be the most afraid of is getting into a control mirror and just getting stuffed by your own Demonic Pact when they counter your attempt to pick it up.

Oath of Jace is in there because it's dig that I can recur. They're not in there for delirium, they're there to dig 3 and pitch extra lands then get put back to my hand when I Crush. I was actually running 3 before I added Ob Nixilis or To the Slaughter! If there's something else that will let me dig for 3 on turn 3 then I'd be into that, maybe.

I haven't had an opportunity to play against a blue deck with counterspells yet, but if I do I'll side in the two Dispels, leaving me with 6 counterspells to counter their counter. Not saying it couldn't happen, but chances are good that if that situation comes up I'll be prepared. Control actually is a pretty tough matchup if they can interact with enchantments and/or planeswalkers. Silumgar helps with that a bit but a permission-style control deck is a nightmare. To the Slaughter and Anguished Unmaking can slow me down quite a bit--I should put some Duresses into the sideboard to snag those, good thinking.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Seems like a good opportunity to run that 13 themed enchantment imo

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Shadow225 posted:

Seems like a good opportunity to run that 13 themed enchantment imo

I might be wrong, but I think the only way to get rid of enchantments at the moment outside of green is cub and unmaking. Seems weird to me.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Erase is still legal isn't it?

Edit: and lol Isolation Zone

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lets Pickle posted:

He really is the worst detective. He lucksacks into finding the journal of an actually intelligent, skilled investigator that all but spells out the answers for him, and he still can't figure it out. He goes to the drownyard and sees zombies so obviously zombies = Liliana was behind it all! Better go confront her! He reminds me of Inspector Clousseau from the Pink Panther.

To be fair, there is very clearly some serious mind magic fuckery going on with that.

Don't get me wrong, he hasn't really investigated anything and I would rather read the Adventures of Tamiyo, Actually Very Good Investigator/Scientist, but I'm willing to give his character a pass on the Lili thing for now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

I might be wrong, but I think the only way to get rid of enchantments at the moment outside of green is cub and unmaking. Seems weird to me.

The new, much worse O-Ring (Isolation Zone?) Quarantine Field and the zombie Recoil if they don't have a hand off the top of my head. Also Ulamog. :v:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

Don't get me wrong, he hasn't really investigated anything and I would rather read the Adventures of Tamiyo, Actually Very Good Investigator/Scientist, but I'm willing to give his character a pass on the Lili thing for now.

I mean it's right there on the card, he doesn't even bother to investigate at all

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Apparently the art for Magnifying Glass is examining a tiny eye appearing on someone's skin. I don't know how I missed that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sickening posted:

Caustic Caterpillar says hi.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Yawgmoth posted:

Reading comprehension says hi

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

Erase is still legal isn't it?

Edit: and lol Isolation Zone

Khans.

Yawgmoth posted:

Lol at you.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

Khans.

Lol at you.

After a quick gatherer search, Enlightened Ascetic, Fate Forgotten, Nahiri, and Radiant Purge which has precisely two targets in standard. In addition to what's already been said. So still not a lot.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

For enchantment removal BW also has Ayli if you get to 30+ and have a creature to sac. White has a bunch of other not quite standard worthy cards like angelic purge, enlightened ascetic, fate forgotten, and nahiri. Then blue has a couple of way too expensive bounce/librarytop cards that just delay things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

After a quick gatherer search, Enlightened Ascetic, Fate Forgotten, Nahiri, and Radiant Purge which has precisely two targets in standard. In addition to what's already been said. So still not a lot.

Radiant purge won't have a standard enchantment it can hit i don't believe. Definitely not one that is relevant. Enlightened ascetic seems worse than cub. Fate forgotten doesn't seem all that great, but it could be better if there were artifacts that were played. I had legitimately forgotten about fate forgotten although I don't think it will even show up in a sideboard.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Radiant Purge can target Fevered Visions and Invocation of St. Traft. So effectively nothing.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
The stasis snare guy is right (I run warping wail)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

Radiant purge won't have a standard enchantment it can hit i don't believe. Definitely not one that is relevant. Enlightened ascetic seems worse than cub. Fate forgotten doesn't seem all that great, but it could be better if there were artifacts that were played. I had legitimately forgotten about fate forgotten although I don't think it will even show up in a sideboard.

Fate Forgotten isn't really very good so it's not like it's terrible to forget it, really the only one you forgot that's relevant is Nahiri

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Fate Forgotten isn't really very good so it's not like it's terrible to forget it, really the only one you forgot that's relevant is Nahiri

I don't' know, she seems terrible and in a color combo that isn't exactly looking to be popular. Maybe there will be this control deck that turns her and the flickering eldrazi into the best deck ever. Just doesn't seem likely right now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

I don't' know, she seems terrible and in a color combo that isn't exactly looking to be popular. Maybe there will be this control deck that turns her and the flickering eldrazi into the best deck ever. Just doesn't seem likely right now.

people are at least gonna try to make her work, none of the other cards mentioned are gonna even have that token effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Scour from Existence :smugdog:

• Locked thread