Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Iridium will always be the densest element in my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I was marking geophysics exams where the solution to a particular problem of "What is making the gravity high here?" was described to us as being a 10-meter sphere of 9-9s pure iridium, buried ten meters under the surface. Everyone then did the maths on modeling up the exact parameters of the sphere and dutifully demonstrating their work on how that solution would have been arrived at.

Extra credit was awarded to the students who then went on to say "but that's probably more iridium than is in the entire crust of the Earth and definitely more iridium than has ever been mined".

One whole section of my thesis was on iridium, it's my most favourite element. I have a little sample of it on my desk that's about ten grams, in a display case. It's cool to look at it and go "you were definitely formed in a supernova".

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Isn't Iridium so rare because there was basically none of it in the initial formation of the planet? I know Technetium basically doesn't exist on Earth because it's stupid radioactive and all natural deposits have since all decayed into its products, but Iridium isn't particularly radioactive.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Isn't Iridium so rare because there was basically none of it in the initial formation of the planet? I know Technetium basically doesn't exist on Earth because it's stupid radioactive and all natural deposits have since all decayed into its products, but Iridium isn't particularly radioactive.

There was a lot of it to go around when the Earth formed (essentially at the same concentration you find in meteorites), it's just that because it doesn't really interact with anything, all of it sunk into the core while the Earth was still molten. A little bit of the more common precious metals were able to hang around near the surface because they complexed with sulfur and got belched back upwards by volcanic explosions before they could sink too deep.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kwyndig posted:

There's a popular theory that most or all of the precious metals in the crust of the Earth come from the Late Heavy Bombardment, where we were hammered by a significant number of meteorites, all of which had the potential to be iron-nickel ± PGE-Au-Ag in composition. At that time (somewhere between 4.1 and 3.8Ga (billion years ago)) the Earth had already cooled to the point where it had a solid crust (that was then smashed to bits by the bombardment); the exact make up of the mantle and core would have been different due to the higher relict heat but basically the same. So while basically all of the precious metals that were part of the accretion of the planet had already sunk to the core, this next lot were able to stick around on the surface and form metals. I personally like the theory from my reading but there's enough arguments against it that it might not have happened and the explanation for these elements in the crust needs to go back to the drawing board. It's really bloody hard to figure out definitively what happened around four billion years ago without a fair bit of "it is interpreted that" and "these observations suggest that".

Venusian Weasel posted:

There was a lot of it to go around when the Earth formed (essentially at the same concentration you find in meteorites), it's just that because it doesn't really interact with anything, all of it sunk into the core while the Earth was still molten.

Yes and no on the lack of interaction. High-density transition metals such as platinum group elements are siderophiles, which means they readily dissolve in molten iron and form metallic bonds, essentially alloying themselves with iron and nickel. I mean, I know you know this, this is really just for the folks following along at home. Density isn't the best explanation of elemental differentiation into the crust or mantle/core; mercury is twice as dense as iron but because it so readily complexes to form sulphides, selenides and tellurides it stuck around in the crust.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

One whole section of my thesis was on iridium, it's my most favourite element. I have a little sample of it on my desk that's about ten grams, in a display case. It's cool to look at it and go "you were definitely formed in a supernova".

One of my cow orkers has this block of tungsten alloy on his desk, it's about a 3" cube and it has "17.9 g/cc" written on it.

Your brain isn't evolutionarily equipped to deal with it. You pick it up and it just plain has more inertia than your senses are telling you anything that size should have. It's like when you're driving a car and get up to over about 110mph, the reptilian part of your brain just says "Okay, I'm out, this is all on you now."

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

So, aside from the lichens that hang out in the Chernobyl reactor, does anyone know off hand about some extreme examples of things that survive and thrive in environments that are highly radioactive/metallically poisonous? I'm utterly fascinated by fungus and just how unbelievably resilient and adaptable it is. Today, one of my friends who's a Chem major told me about how their professor had a microscope up in front of their class, focused on fungal yeasts that were living in mine tailing from a badly done gold mine from the early 1800s. The water is unnaturally blue from the amount of copper in it, and yet this fungus is just hanging out, happily nomming on sulfides.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

GWBBQ posted:

Water burns in a fluorine-rich environment

Yeah but I can't really do that in my back yard, and something tells me getting the guys down at UW to light some faygo on fire for shiggles would be hard.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A White Guy posted:

So, aside from the lichens that hang out in the Chernobyl reactor, does anyone know off hand about some extreme examples of things that survive and thrive in environments that are highly radioactive/metallically poisonous? I'm utterly fascinated by fungus and just how unbelievably resilient and adaptable it is. Today, one of my friends who's a Chem major told me about how their professor had a microscope up in front of their class, focused on fungal yeasts that were living in mine tailing from a badly done gold mine from the early 1800s. The water is unnaturally blue from the amount of copper in it, and yet this fungus is just hanging out, happily nomming on sulfides.

Living things need energy to keep living; the corollary to this is that if there is energy somewhere, something will take advantage of it. The term for something that lives somewhere you would expect life to be blasted into its component molecules is extremophile.

Hydrothermal vents at the bottom of the ocean - commonly referred to as either black or white smokers - provide heat and sulphur or methane that can be used for energy. There's also a species of bacteria that has evolved to use the very faint light given off by some of these vents for photosynthesis, which is super neat. So we're talking about water that could have a pH of under 2, is 100-150°C and under 250+ atmospheres of pressure. Life will, indeed, find a way.

Some reading to kick you off:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremophile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrothermal_vent#Biological_communities

Also, "a badly done gold mine from the early 1800s" unfortunately doesn't really narrow down the field.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Memento posted:

"you were definitely formed in a supernova".

I do this in the mirror while flexing every morning.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Keiya posted:

Yeah but I can't really do that in my back yard, and something tells me getting the guys down at UW to light some faygo on fire for shiggles would be hard.

Well what kind of chemists do they think they are, not being willing to light things on fire with fluorine just to see if they'll burn?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Kalman posted:

Well what kind of chemists do they think they are, not being willing to light things on fire with fluorine just to see if they'll burn?

It's not like there's much mystery involved with that. The list of things that don't burn with fluorine is relatively small. Most of them are things that have already been 'burned' in fluorine.

What you want is a pyromaniac with access to lots of fluorine and some good video cameras.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

jetz0r posted:

It's not like there's much mystery involved with that. The list of things that don't burn with fluorine is relatively small. Most of them are things that have already been 'burned' in fluorine.

What you want is a pyromaniac with access to lots of fluorine and some good video cameras.

Somebody's going to get a whole lot of views for their YouTube video titled "Let's see what happens when you drop a bottle of Faygo into a vat of liquid fluorine!"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Burning things in fluorine also means you have gaseous fluorine around. Most sane people would say gently caress that.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Phanatic posted:

One of my cow orkers has this block of tungsten alloy on his desk, it's about a 3" cube and it has "17.9 g/cc" written on it.

Your brain isn't evolutionarily equipped to deal with it. You pick it up and it just plain has more inertia than your senses are telling you anything that size should have. It's like when you're driving a car and get up to over about 110mph, the reptilian part of your brain just says "Okay, I'm out, this is all on you now."

I'd like to have a 120mm APFSDS-T projectile. They turn up occasionally on the oddball online milsurp stores.

Not sure what I'd do with it other than accidentally trip over it and impale myself (this is the sort of thing that should be displayed horizontal, on a low shelf, behind thick glass), but it'd be a cool curio. 24mmx543mm, mass 4kg (or a hair under an inch diameter, 21-3/8" long, 8lb13oz for us stupid Americans.) How much would a hunk of steel the same size weigh? I'm bad at math.

jetz0r posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you could source the fluorine and find a way to get it to Austin, Gavin Free and Dan Gruchy would happily provide the cameras and poor bastard setting it off, respectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep_mf6ZE9U0

Note that Dan's lab coat is basically bloodstained rags.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Burning things in fluorine also means you have gaseous fluorine around. Most sane people would say gently caress that.

All sane people would say gently caress that. It's kind of a prerequisite.

Luckily not all people are sane.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Delivery McGee posted:

Not sure what I'd do with it other than accidentally trip over it and impale myself (this is the sort of thing that should be displayed horizontal, on a low shelf, behind thick glass), but it'd be a cool curio. 24mmx543mm, mass 4kg (or a hair under an inch diameter, 21-3/8" long, 8lb13oz for us stupid Americans.) How much would a hunk of steel the same size weigh? I'm bad at math.

Wolfram Alpha owns for this stuff. It's 1.931kg, assuming that 24mm is the diameter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Delivery McGee posted:

Or, assuming it’s pure uranium (I think it’s 90%, so close enough) so you don’t have to assume the geometry, 1.65 kg.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

A White Guy posted:

Deinococcus radiodurans. Discovered in '56 when it proved that hard radiation isn't enough to sterilize a can of meat. Hardy little sunzabitches. Also, probably not the mine you're thinking of, but I must mention the Berkeley Pit. A lake so toxic a flock of geese died after landing on it, but there's still bacteria and fungi, happily digesting the metals and spitting out what might be the next cancer drug.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

I bought a 2.4 kg hunk of tungsten for my own desk, and I’m honestly kind of disappointed. It doesn’t have much of that effect on me or, it seems, on other people who have picked it up.

I don’t know why. Possibly it’s not a sufficiently compact shape or it’s just big enough (and obviously made of metal) that your brain expects it to be “heavy” and doesn’t care that it’s more than twice as heavy as an iron bar of the same size would be.

Specifically, it’s this shape, $75 from eBay:

From the DoD number, it looks like it’s a ruddervator counterweight for a KC‐135.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Apr 7, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Platystemon posted:

I bought a 2.4 kg hunk of tungsten for my own desk, and I’m honestly kind of disappointed. It doesn’t have much of that effect on me or, it seems, on other people who have picked it up.

I don’t know why. Possibly it’s not a sufficiently compact shape or it’s just big enough (and obviously made of metal) that your brain expects it to be “heavy” and doesn’t care that it’s more than twice as heavy as an iron bar of the same size would be.

Specifically, it’s this shape, $75 from eBay:

From the DoD number, it looks like it’s a ruddervator counterweight for a KC‐135.

From what I recall, the poisoning effects of tungsten are only apparent if you drink wine out of the barrel of your French-army issued assault rifle

darthbob88 posted:

Deinococcus radiodurans. Discovered in '56 when it proved that hard radiation isn't enough to sterilize a can of meat. Hardy little sunzabitches. Also, probably not the mine you're thinking of, but I must mention the Berkeley Pit. A lake so toxic a flock of geese died after landing on it, but there's still bacteria and fungi, happily digesting the metals and spitting out what might be the next cancer drug.

Part of it. There are a lot of areas that were mined with the sole goal of getting gold out of them there hills during the Gold Rush in California, and consequently, we're still dealing with the environmental effects of mine tailings 150 years after. Also, goddamn, life will uh, find a way.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Platystemon posted:

Cadmium is amazing as an industrial plating.

It’s a shame it’s toxic.

It's also amazing for paint pigments, similar to a lot of other heavy metals.

A couple of the Vallejo acrylic paints I use have metals such as cadmium in them, and they are extremely vivid. The labels also include a warning saying "Contains cadmium. Not for airbrush use. DO NOT SPRAY THIS PAINT", and I assume it would be a stupid idea to lick the brush, too.

E: I'd love to have a set of a tungsten cube and an aluminum cube of identical size, but $160 is a bit much to pay for such a set.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Apr 7, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KozmoNaut posted:

It's also amazing for paint pigments, similar to a lot of other heavy metals.

A couple of the Vallejo acrylic paints I use have metals such as cadmium in them, and they are extremely vivid. The labels also include a warning saying "Contains cadmium. Not for airbrush use. DO NOT SPRAY THIS PAINT", and I assume it would be a stupid idea to lick the brush, too.

E: I'd love to have a set of a tungsten cube and an aluminum cube of identical size, but $160 is a bit much to pay for such a set.

..... oh boy.

Vallejo paints you say?

well. Guess i gots me some cadmium. :black101:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SneakyFrog posted:

..... oh boy.

Vallejo paints you say?

well. Guess i gots me some cadmium. :black101:

It seems they gradually changed their formulation a couple of years back, to remove all heavy metals. Mine are probably 5 years old, but they may have been sitting in the store for a while before I bought them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KozmoNaut posted:

It seems they gradually changed their formulation a couple of years back, to remove all heavy metals. Mine are probably 5 years old, but they may have been sitting in the store for a while before I bought them.

mine were old overstock. got them eh.. 7-10 years ago?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's like how pewter used to contain lead in it. It was easier to do it that way than a safe way and until relatively recently nobody cared if your paint or tiny metal people were toxic if you were stupid enough to put them in your mouth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Phanatic posted:

It is actually seeing use for that, because with the right recovery equipment it's not prohibitively expensive anymore. And it's such a potent anaesthetic that you can give plenty of oxygen along with it, which makes everyone happy. If it weren't for the expense it would be damned near perfect at that task.

Xenon was recently banned by WADA because of its use as a doping agent.

This probably fits itt http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20150904-the-bizarre-beasts-living-in-romanias-poison-cave

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Most of the color of a meteor trail is due to the emission spectra of nitrogen and oxygen that were ionized as it went by.

Nickel doesn't produce much of a flame color. Neither do iron or chromium, which is why a nichrome wire is usually used for flame tests.

That was my first thought, and after I saw that nickel had a white flame was my third thought too, but I'd still love to see a comprehensive documentation, preferably with spectra.

I don't think that's why they use nichrome wire, though, since iron seems to have nice colorful flames at least in some ionization states. I'd imagine it's more the stuff being resistant to corrosion and melting, while being widely available, more than the color of the flames it would produce if ground up.

GWBBQ posted:

If people encourage me I'll probably be convinced to prove this by grabbing one of the iron-nickel meteorites from my office and bringing it to the chemistry lab.

NO DONT I'm sure you can get cheaper nickel somewhere else. :(

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

This is in response to the poster asking about ways microbes deal with environmental contaminants like heavy metals a bit ago, but I finally found this paper I cited a few years ago about a strain of B. sphaericus that uses heavy metals to literally make armor for itself

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16005595

Of course it was found in uranium mine tailings which makes it even more :black101:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

bitter boobswill

namechange tia

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, in the interests of science, safety and boredom, we were checking out info on the newest automotive refrigerant (r1234ya also known as tetraflouropropene) at work today to see why the stuff is going to be $100 a pound. In the process we decided to check out the msds info on it and were surprised to see it had fun words like "flammable gas 1", "highly flammable" and "thermal decomposition can release hydrogen floride".

On the other hand, all of our training material lists it as safe, only mildly flammable compared to the other alternative that was considered (r152, also known as canned air).

Any of you guys better at understanding these msds thingies wanna weigh in with an opinion? The cost means I'm not gonna get to play around with it in entirely inappropriate ways any time soon to see just how flammable it is. Not that I really want to after reading the part about creating hydrogen floride when it breaks down due to heat.

Edit: I'm guessing that the reason for the difference is the fact that upper and lower flammability levels are fairly close together, meaning there is a narrow range where it will burn. This makes it overall safe to handle under normal conditions, but in that range it would be interesting to deal with.

Elmnt80 has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Apr 10, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I cannot answer your specific question, but I would like to point out there's a general chemistry thread in SAL where all the really knowledgeable people hang out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3283822
It's possibly a better place for questions like that.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Elmnt80 posted:

So, in the interests of science, safety and boredom, we were checking out info on the newest automotive refrigerant (r1234ya also known as tetraflouropropene) at work today to see why the stuff is going to be $100 a pound. In the process we decided to check out the msds info on it and were surprised to see it had fun words like "flammable gas 1", "highly flammable" and "thermal decomposition can release hydrogen floride".

If you crash your car and wind up stuck in a burning wreck you might get to deal with HF gas :thumbsup:

Great choice of chemical there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elmnt80 posted:

On the other hand, all of our training material lists it as safe, only mildly flammable compared to the other alternative that was considered (r152, also known as canned air).

Any of you guys better at understanding these msds thingies wanna weigh in with an opinion? The cost means I'm not gonna get to play around with it in entirely inappropriate ways any time soon to see just how flammable it is. Not that I really want to after reading the part about creating hydrogen floride when it breaks down due to heat.

Edit: I'm guessing that the reason for the difference is the fact that upper and lower flammability levels are fairly close together, meaning there is a narrow range where it will burn. This makes it overall safe to handle under normal conditions, but in that range it would be interesting to deal with.
There's a fairly big controversy about exactly this. SAE and the German government's motor transport authority say crash tests don't indicate any elevated risk. Which might be informed by the baseline being you driving a gasoline bomb around with reservoirs full of oil with all sorts of cancer-riffic combustion products. Mercedes ran their own tests, but with a methodology simulating worst case leaks of refrigerant and oil instead of crash tests, and came to the conclusion that they didn't want to take the risk.

If your car is in a conflagration with R134a you aren't exactly out of the woods from exotic combustion products. If hot enough it too will form HF and the fluorine analog of phosgene. Fluorine is everywhere in this era of plastic and bespoke gases meant to have specific physical properties. A little different from being flammable, but also the major issue with flammable is the hot gases. You only need to worry about the inherent chemical properties of the gases if you survive the hot part.

Mechanics are probably the ones that take the biggest amount of risk in a world with 134a replaced with 1234yf, since they need to store it at quantity in the shop and are the ones controlling the actual movement of it from place to place, which is the most likely step where it wants to be free.

e. For clarity I am comparing it to 134a as the old junk. Not sure how 152a stacks up in safety and properties.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Minarchist posted:

If you crash your car and wind up stuck in a burning wreck you might get to deal with HF gas :thumbsup:

Great choice of chemical there.

it's actually a safety feature, your now rubberised bones will make it so much easier to extract you from the wreck of burning metal and plastic that was your car. instead of using the jaws of life they'll just stretch armstrong you out of the closest AC vent.

Moist von Lipwig has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Apr 10, 2016

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Although I am a random stranger on the Internet, I can safely say that it would be a terrible idea to burn that to see what happens.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

WRONG A BUNCH OF THINGS DONT
They're all noble gases, and fully fluorinated compounds though

Talking of violent fluorination: Krypton Difluoride!
Because when things are tacked on to a noble gas, the gas becomes absolutely barking insane and tries to throw it's new houseguests into any oncomers without prejudice and with maximum force.

Has this been tried as a rocket fuel? I know they got specific impulse over 500 seconds with hydrogen-fluorine-lithium, but I wonder if KrF2's stronger oxidizing ability would cancel out the performance losses from how heavy krypton is.

Edit: KrF4 would be even better, since it has a higher proportion of fluorine to krypton while potentially being a stronger oxidizer.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

Has this been tried as a rocket fuel? I know they got specific impulse over 500 seconds with hydrogen-fluorine-lithium, but I wonder if KrF2's stronger oxidizing ability would cancel out the performance losses from how heavy krypton is.

Edit: KrF4 would be even better, since it has a higher proportion of fluorine to krypton while potentially being a stronger oxidizer.

Neither is stable at room temperature. Both need to be stored as solids at dry ice temperatures. They wouldn't be very practical as rocket fuels.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Kinetica posted:

Although I am a random stranger on the Internet, I can safely say that it would be a terrible idea to burn that to see what happens.

We didn't send men to the moon with that attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

LostCosmonaut posted:

Has this been tried as a rocket fuel?

I believe we have learned from this very thread that the answer to this question is always yes.