Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
So my 6D is making some slow shutter sounds. The exposure seems right regardless, but it sounds like it's going off at 1/10 a second regardless of what i have it set to. I've tried different lenses and batteries and whatever i could think of. If i set it to continuous mode it seems to get its speed back. Is this a common problem? Time to ship it in for service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Erostratus posted:

So my 6D is making some slow shutter sounds. The exposure seems right regardless, but it sounds like it's going off at 1/10 a second regardless of what i have it set to. I've tried different lenses and batteries and whatever i could think of. If i set it to continuous mode it seems to get its speed back. Is this a common problem? Time to ship it in for service?

stupid question but do you have it set on silent shutter for the drive mode, rather than regular single shot?

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

timrenzi574 posted:

stupid question but do you have it set on silent shutter for the drive mode, rather than regular single shot?

Not a stupid question, i'm an idiot and that's exactly what it was. Thanks. Never even noticed that feature, literally.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Had to use silent shutter for the first time the other day at a newborn shoot.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I honesty don't even know if the silent shutter mode on my 6D is actually quieter than the regular shutter mode. It just sounds longer really!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Newbie mistakes I have made no 47. That time I thought my camera was broken because I accidentally set it up in the mode that delays the shutter for 10 seconds.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

NaDy posted:

I honesty don't even know if the silent shutter mode on my 6D is actually quieter than the regular shutter mode. It just sounds longer really!

That's exactly what it does - it adds shutter lag at the front end after the mirror flips, then delays the mirror return so the sound is spread out over a longer period of time. It gets perceived as quieter because it's not all happening at once, so it's less disruptive. It also gives you a little extra handholding ability because of delaying the shutter after the mirror flips up (which settles down some vibration in the body)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

learnincurve posted:

Newbie mistakes I have made no 47. That time I thought my camera was broken because I accidentally set it up in the mode that delays the shutter for 10 seconds.

I left my camera in mirror up when buying a lens off someone and forgot. I was there looking stupid while saying 'I'm sure this is my fault so I'll buy it, but I have no idea what it's doing'.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

NaDy posted:

The 6D has a fairly quiet normal shutter so you don't notice much difference between normal and silent.
The difference between normal shots and silenced ones on e.g. the 5D3 is huge. The first time i shot with my 5D3 the loud shutter sound startled me so much i almost dropped the camera. I thought something was broken because the sound was so brutal.
I definitely can see the use for the silent mode on the 5D3 when shooting wildlife, babies, in a church or when shooting near someone recording a video. My wife recorded our daugher playing on the piano and i photographed her and all you can hear on the video is CLACKA CLACKA CLACKA from the camera, not my daugher playing.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 7, 2016

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
What is the opinion on 500PX these days? I used to upload photos to 500PX and Flickr but nowadays it's more like Flickr/Instagram.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
500px is what flickr used to be now. Everyone's uploads get shown in a big searchable stream, an algorithm happens taking into account favourites, views, and comments which gives you a moving score (which degrades over time), and then if you get enough it goes to the upcoming stream and then onwards to popular. There are groups but people can't use them to manipulate scores in the same way so the most popular pictures are actually the best rather than the ones with the most sparkle kitty gif comments.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
"actually the best" is pretty debatable, 500px definitely has an aesthetic that tends to be popular and maybe less prone to maxgor style gaming the system

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Too much Ricoh theta 360 shots to be any good.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

What's the 500px film photo scene like? I've only scraped the surface and it mostly looks like typically garish digital stuff but if there's a thriving film photo subculture like FlickR I'd be interested in exploring it more deeply.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm editing some city shots and I'm trying to figure out which line should actually be vertical. Any suggestions for this? My guess is that the strongest/closest vertical line to the viewer in the image should actually be truly vertical while the other vertical lines are slightly slanted.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

huhu posted:

I'm editing some city shots and I'm trying to figure out which line should actually be vertical. Any suggestions for this? My guess is that the strongest/closest vertical line to the viewer in the image should actually be truly vertical while the other vertical lines are slightly slanted.

I use the line that isn't on the axis hosed with by the pitch of my camera. If that makes sense.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Does anyone have experience with mounting medium-large size prints (20x30) to foam board? Spray glue seems like the standard, but for my purposes it doesn't have to be permanent or 100% precise at the edges. Is there any reason to not use double sticky tape if I just need to display a bunch of prints for a few days?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
double sided scotch tape would be better as it won't take any of the foam off when you remove the print.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I use the line that isn't on the axis hosed with by the pitch of my camera. If that makes sense.

Ah that does make much more sense.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Even if it's just for a few days please do not use tape that isn't acid-free.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

huhu posted:

Is there a horizontal line - like the horizon, or the street, or a body of water - that would be easier to line up?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Nah I was shooting up while wandering through the city.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

huhu posted:

Seek professional help.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

huhu posted:

If there are lots of strong verticals, align it to whatever known vertical reference you can find right down the centre of the image as a good starting point; that's the only line that will be invariant with pitch (other than if you have a true horizon, but if you're looking up I doubt that). If that doesn't work, one trick is to play with the manual "lens correction" options in Lightroom. Once you've corrected for perspective, rotation should be easy to figure out.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

elgarbo posted:

Seek professional help.

Isn't that why we're all here?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

huhu posted:

Isn't that why we're all here?

I'm here because I heard there were snacks

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Tried sticking a 20x30 print onto a foam board. It's surprisingly tricky to get the edge to line up, and double sided tape is really hard to peel back off. I think I'll go for the ugly but safe method of binder clips at the corners.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The way I've done it is by checking for square first, lining up adn clamping 2 opposite corners, then glue+kicker the 2 *other* corners. Then unclamp and glue from the inside going out to chase air bubbles.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

evil_bunnY posted:

The way I've done it is by checking for square first, lining up adn clamping 2 opposite corners, then glue+kicker the 2 *other* corners. Then unclamp and glue from the inside going out to chase air bubbles.

I would not have thought of that, but very good idea.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I know nothing about cameras, and have this lens, and would like to know what type of camera body its compatible with (and if it's just for film, or dslr's)

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

ChocNitty posted:

I know nothing about cameras, and have this lens, and would like to know what type of camera body its compatible with (and if it's just for film, or dslr's)

Canon FD. Old film. This is the mount that predates EOS/EF Mount

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Little googling shows it's a decent lens.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

timrenzi574 posted:

Canon FD. Old film. This is the mount that predates EOS/EF Mount

Ok ty. I just asked someone else in a pawn shop and they said it's for a Pentax body. Is that incorrect?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It's definitely not pentax k-mount. Looks like FD to me too.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Completely incorrect - Pentax K-mount (still in use on today's Pentax DSLR in autofocus form) is utterly incompatible with Canon FD-mount.

Technically, Pentax uses a bayonet-mount (align, put together, rotate, click) and Canon-FD is a breach-mount (align, put together, rotate ring on lens until tight).

Pawn shops are notoriously bad at camera lenses. In my experience, they price flea-market level junk like old-gem pro-grade glass, and will just make whatever poo poo up they think will separate you from your money regarding lens-body compatibility or accessories you should totally buy right now.

EDIT because I can't stop talking about old lenses
Anything that says "KIRON" on it is probably pretty good. They were the actual lens manufacturer (based in Japan) of a pretty wide variety of 3rd-party brand glass in the 80's. Notably, they had a contract with the American company Vivitar, such that Kiron made some of the well-regarded Vivitar Series 1 lenses.

Canon FD is an "orphan" mount because no modern (digital) camera can wear those lenses without an adaptor. This keeps prices lower than something like Nikon or Pentax mount from the same time that still fits on modern DSLRS fairly easily. People still shoot film on old SLRs (e.g. me) so it's not like that lens is worthless. Look for similar lenses on eBay and sell it there if you are so inclined. Key search terms are the focal length range (28-105mm) and the aperture range (f/3.2-4.5).

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 12, 2016

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

ChocNitty posted:

Ok ty. I just asked someone else in a pawn shop and they said it's for a Pentax body. Is that incorrect?

Definitely incorrect. It's an FD mount lens. You can put it on an F1's , A series (AE, AE-P , A-1, etc) , T## (T70, T90) cameras. If you want something cheap to put it on, an AE-1 is probably your best bet but make sure they put new foam on it and oiled the mirror return so it doesn't sound like it has whooping cough.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Anybody got a suggestion for a gallery/photo management software that's not too complicated and as cheap as possible?

My boss wants a way to manage her phone photos on her computer, with things like flagging for rejection and rating systems from Lightroom, but she doesn't want the post processing features at all. The Photos app bundled with her Mac is apparently too lacking in features.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Picasa?

edit: lol google killed it, because of course they did

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Geektox posted:

Anybody got a suggestion for a gallery/photo management software that's not too complicated and as cheap as possible?

My boss wants a way to manage her phone photos on her computer, with things like flagging for rejection and rating systems from Lightroom, but she doesn't want the post processing features at all. The Photos app bundled with her Mac is apparently too lacking in features.

I don't personally have an opinion, but what you want is "digital asset management." I've heard Photo Mechanic spoken highly of before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Geektox posted:

Photo Mechanic? At $150 might not come under the definition of 'cheap' though.