Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I know a disturbing amount of people not only support vigilante justice but also think the mob was "really, really good. They were all good guys you know, they only hurt bad people". and thinks the mafia should take over and run all of America. Completely unironically. Also every single one of these people is fat and white and the closest they've come to any sort of actual crime was like, getting pulled over for speeding and getting a warning instead of a ticket.

If I had any sense, I would have saved an image a friend posted a while back that was basically all "Remember when people calling themselves gangsters were classy dudes who loved their moms? Not like these blacksthugs nowadays."

Because that holds up under scrutiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RagnarokAngel posted:

See the mob had noble intentions and kept order not like the...thugs you see today.

The old school gangster mobs lived by a code of respect and honor and generally tried to keep innocent people out of the way. Even crime was classier back then.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Look, buddy, you can wear a bra if you want to, it's okay :unsmith:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the mafia could probably run things better than the federal govt

at least they don't hide the fact that they're criminals

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the mafia could probably run things better than the federal govt

at least they don't hide the fact that they're criminals

Of course they do. That's how they're not in jail.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

oldpainless posted:

The old school gangster mobs lived by a code of respect and honor and generally tried to keep innocent people out of the way. Even crime was classier back then.
isn't the running theme of these things usually a push towards peddling hard drugs causing a new class of gangster to rise up out of nowhere and take a bite out of the old-school operations' turf by simply having more capital? The notion of honor and keeping innocents out of the firing line sort of fell away when it became an all-out slugfest to control a new market.

Then again that's because of all the movies or media I've consumed based upon a real story - who knows if the changing times was really responsible for the downfall of The Mob.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sestze posted:

isn't the running theme of these things usually a push towards peddling hard drugs causing a new class of gangster to rise up out of nowhere and take a bite out of the old-school operations' turf by simply having more capital? The notion of honor and keeping innocents out of the firing line sort of fell away when it became an all-out slugfest to control a new market.

Then again that's because of all the movies or media I've consumed based upon a real story - who knows if the changing times was really responsible for the downfall of The Mob.

The circumstances were different in a lot of ways. The mafia goes back to pretty old Sicilian organized crime that if memory serves has connections to old Italian ways of doing things. It ties into nobility trying to be better than the common rabble and whatnot. Part of it oddly enough apparently has to do with movie portrayals of the mafia. They used to be content with protection racketeering and petty crime. It goes into merchants and money and what have you.

Now, a big difference here is that the mafia relied heavily on protection racketeering and one very important part of that is you keep that racket up by actually making the community safe. The idea was that you pay the racket and they don't gently caress up your store but then they also make sure nobody else does either. Mafia businesses are just plain better if they are also respected members of the community, which means don't go around murdering the locals so long as they play nice. People that aren't involved are just that - not involved. The primary concern was with money; as long as the mafia was making money they'd fight each other over who got it but leave everybody else out of it.

Urban gangs grew out of banding together mutual protection. Anybody that wasn't white could expect white people to actively try to harm them while the mostly white police looked the other way. Money wasn't the primary concern; defending their own neighborhoods against threats was the primary concern. These were areas that were also stricken with rampant poverty, unemployment, and serious social issues stemming from lack of resources. "We very badly need a source of money so we can survive" eventually led to that source of money being criminal things; drug smuggling especially. Seeing as the basis was already stemming from a violent "us against them" attitude it carried along when they got bigger, wealthier, and more powerful. Still though race plays a huge part in it as it was non-white people defending themselves against white people and organizing themselves so they could at least have some hope of reducing the crushing poverty they lived in.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Tiberius Thyben posted:

We got "The Last Samurai."

We watched The Last Emperor.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The circumstances were different in a lot of ways. The mafia goes back to pretty old Sicilian organized crime that if memory serves has connections to old Italian ways of doing things. It ties into nobility trying to be better than the common rabble and whatnot. Part of it oddly enough apparently has to do with movie portrayals of the mafia. They used to be content with protection racketeering and petty crime. It goes into merchants and money and what have you.

Now, a big difference here is that the mafia relied heavily on protection racketeering and one very important part of that is you keep that racket up by actually making the community safe. The idea was that you pay the racket and they don't gently caress up your store but then they also make sure nobody else does either. Mafia businesses are just plain better if they are also respected members of the community, which means don't go around murdering the locals so long as they play nice. People that aren't involved are just that - not involved. The primary concern was with money; as long as the mafia was making money they'd fight each other over who got it but leave everybody else out of it.

Urban gangs grew out of banding together mutual protection. Anybody that wasn't white could expect white people to actively try to harm them while the mostly white police looked the other way. Money wasn't the primary concern; defending their own neighborhoods against threats was the primary concern. These were areas that were also stricken with rampant poverty, unemployment, and serious social issues stemming from lack of resources. "We very badly need a source of money so we can survive" eventually led to that source of money being criminal things; drug smuggling especially. Seeing as the basis was already stemming from a violent "us against them" attitude it carried along when they got bigger, wealthier, and more powerful. Still though race plays a huge part in it as it was non-white people defending themselves against white people and organizing themselves so they could at least have some hope of reducing the crushing poverty they lived in.

I sort of got the impression watching from across the pond over the years that some of it was down to education as well, basically that the difficulties you lot seem to have in schooling seems to be matched by bad planning in criminal endeavors, it's just a pet theory I've entertained over the years anyway.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

The Snoo posted:

Look, buddy, you can wear a bra if you want to, it's okay :unsmith:

I really want someone to reply to his post with exactly this.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
One of the earliest groups to be called Mafia in the US was the Black Hand extortion ring which would beat or straight up murder you if you didn't pay their demands (you were pretty much picked at random).

The honorable Mafia thing is just nonsense. Sure they'll do something here or there to keep up an image just like some current gangs will send their members to work in soup kitchens or have a free Xmas dinner or something. It's a wafer thin covering.

Edit: Seems I'm kinda wrong Black hand is just the name of the type of extortion not the name of the group. Same point though.

Darkhold has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Apr 7, 2016

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!

Otisburg posted:

You know them hats you think of when you think "sailor hat" like on the cracker jack box?

Unless you were in the Navy you probably don't even know that girl's couldn't wear them. But now they can, and people are SO MAD about HATS.

Public posts/pages so gently caress 'em.
:biotruths:

I for one am also furious over this increased uniformity in uniforms.

I was in the Navy, the enlisted female cover is much more expensive than the Dixie cup and I only wore it for inspections. It was a waste.

I was in a Seabee unit, so we all wore the same thing.

The comment that people in the military will get angry about loving anything is 100% correct.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I don't get this? Is rip it made of people? Is it commentary on how veterans are poor and they have to buy from the dollar store?

A couple of the cans say "tribute" so maybe it's that? :wtc:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Serperoth posted:

I don't get this? Is rip it made of people? Is it commentary on how veterans are poor and they have to buy from the dollar store?

Rip It was a Cobra bad guy in G.I. Joe. Maybe they're ex-Cobra?

edit:
The man himself

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Apr 7, 2016

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Serperoth posted:

Rip Its are/were issued to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

usbombshell posted:

I was in a Seabee unit

Please tell me you had adorable patches!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Soviet Commubot posted:

Rip Its are/were issued to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Ah that explains it, thank you.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Does orientate mean something different in the military?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Puntification posted:

Wikipedia - My Lai Massacre

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The reason Mafia has a passable repuation here in the South of Italy, with perfectly honest people like my father saying things like "In the North mafia destroys, but in the South, it creates" is because there is a general feeling that the government doesn't give a poo poo about us on a good day and is actively embarassed on a bad one, with most of out funding and infrastructure gettin slowly grinded down to feed the North; so when unemployed people are approached with the sort of folks that say "get your extended family to vote for this candidate and I guarantee I can land you a job", which is more than the government has ever done for them, it's not hard to say with who they'd rather side.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Puntification posted:

To orientate doesn't normally exist in American varieties of English, we use to orient. To my ears, and probably to most Americans, it sounds like a redneckism and was probably picked up ironically at first and then became a tribal marker like so many things in the military.

usbombshell posted:

The comment that people in the military will get angry about loving anything is 100% correct.

The only people angrier about dumb poo poo than people in the military are veterans because they've spent years bottling the really vile poo poo up inside and can finally let loose with no fear of an EO complaint.

Both Ken Tucky and Travis Tee were in the military and Travis gets really mad that anyone suggests that telling poor people "bootstraps" might not be the most effective policy. Also, what's the point of an education if everyone can get one?

I hosed things up here for a bit, Robin Banks is Ken Tucky, Mark Key is Travis Tee

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
From a Buzzfeed article about the last meals of wrongfully convicted people.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/photographer-captures-chilling-images-of-wrongfully-accused?utm_term=.ypwVQlApp#.kqvO4LZEE

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Please tell me you had adorable patches!

Just this on our cammies:

Although apparently there is also this for ACB-2, which was my battalion:

:3:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

usbombshell posted:

Eee! They're amazing!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

usbombshell posted:

The tools in the extra hands are killing me

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

usbombshell posted:

I wanna be a Seabee!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Otisburg posted:

You know them hats you think of when you think "sailor hat" like on the cracker jack box?

Unless you were in the Navy you probably don't even know that girl's couldn't wear them. But now they can, and people are SO MAD about HATS.

Public posts/pages so gently caress 'em.
:biotruths:

I for one am also furious over this increased uniformity in uniforms.

"MEN DON'T WEAR BRAS SO NEITHER SHOULD WOMEN"

So I guess men get athletic cups taken away because women don't have any testicles to protect from damage.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Soviet Commubot posted:

To orientate doesn't normally exist in American varieties of English, we use to orient. To my ears, and probably to most Americans, it sounds like a redneckism and was probably picked up ironically at first and then became a tribal marker like so many things in the military.

The only people angrier about dumb poo poo than people in the military are veterans because they've spent years bottling the really vile poo poo up inside and can finally let loose with no fear of an EO complaint.

Both Ken Tucky and Travis Tee were in the military and Travis gets really mad that anyone suggests that telling poor people "bootstraps" might not be the most effective policy. Also, what's the point of an education if everyone can get one?

My name is Travis and my last initial is in fact T and this post freaked me out

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Soviet Commubot posted:

To orientate doesn't normally exist in American varieties of English, we use to orient.

This is true of other countries as well. The base word is "orient" and "orientate" comes from mistakenly working backwards from "orientation" (orient-ation).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Posting mainly for how bad the screenshot is

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The amount of people that fall for these off-brand Facebook page giveaways is astounding.

If Disney wanted to give away 5 free passes they wouldn't create a Disney Family Vacation Prize Page. They'd just do it under Disney.

Oh look, that particular Disney page only has 2200 followers, seems kind of low for the actual verifiably Disney. The worst part is I see it for a ton of companies and tons of people fall for it without even seeing a hint of who/if anyone actual won it. It's the 21st century method for being inundated with spam.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Actually going to the page will usually show that A) The account has only been around for probably less than a month and B) Every other post by the page is the exact same "giveaway". I seriously don't understand why anybody ever thinks these types of accounts are real.

My favorite was when the PS4 was first announced, an account called "Playstation." had one of these, promising to give away a system that wasn't even out yet, and my friend who works in the tech industry shared it, basically saying "You never know. Couldn't hurt."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That PS4 one was the greatest especially the "we need play testers" posts. My favourites are the "I don't give Facebook the right to monetise my page etc." posts.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

My parents are the exact opposite. They wouldn't even click on that Disney page unless Walt Disney himself rose from the grave, came to their door and assured them that it was legit. And even then they'd still feel iffy about it.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'd feel iffy too; that would be terrifying.

Some frozen-rear end Nazi sympathizer knocking on my door.

(I know he was probably neither)

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Beastie posted:

The amount of people that fall for these off-brand Facebook page giveaways is astounding.

If Disney wanted to give away 5 free passes they wouldn't create a Disney Family Vacation Prize Page. They'd just do it under Disney.

Oh look, that particular Disney page only has 2200 followers, seems kind of low for the actual verifiably Disney. The worst part is I see it for a ton of companies and tons of people fall for it without even seeing a hint of who/if anyone actual won it. It's the 21st century method for being inundated with spam.
Is there a good way to report a "fake" page to Facebook? Like, I thought there would be an option for "this page is fake" under the choices for report reasons, but the closest thing they have is "this is a scam".

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Travis343 posted:

My name is Travis and my last initial is in fact T and this post freaked me out

I fully expected Travis Touchdown to be a goon.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Tiggum posted:

This is true of other countries as well. The base word is "orient" and "orientate" comes from mistakenly working backwards from "orientation" (orient-ation).

For some reason I thought it was a more accepted variant in British English.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Masonic Youth posted:

Is there a good way to report a "fake" page to Facebook? Like, I thought there would be an option for "this page is fake" under the choices for report reasons, but the closest thing they have is "this is a scam".

This really does nothing. I've reported a bunch of completely fake accounts that post porn spam and Facebook finds nothing wrong with the accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Supposedly white people are upset about this fantastic shirt, but all I've seen are comments supporting it, and comments talking about how dumb people are upset...

I want to see the upset people! :saddowns: