Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kavak posted:

You can't really have an expansion pack in a different ruleset.

On a similar note, wasn't Neverwinter Nights originally planned as an Infinity Engine game, and you could transfer characters to it until 3rd Edition came out and they realized they were totally incompatible?

I dunno but it sounds plausible, given that they advertise it in Baldur's Gate 1 via an NPC called Lord Foreshadow who says it's "coming soon" and that was in 1998. Neverwinter Nights didn't come out until 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Emong posted:

BG2 has a loading screen tip saying you'll be able to take your character into NWN, yeah.

I'd love to see how that was supposed to work. "I am a higher level than loving Elminster, why am I in an adventurer academy?"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kavak posted:

I'd love to see how that was supposed to work. "I am a higher level than loving Elminster, why am I in an adventurer academy?"

Afaik, the campaign was the last thing completed, and more to show off the toolset than to highlight any real story telling.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kavak posted:

From what I understand, the game wasn't even intended to have a campaign. Just a big toolset. But then it was mandated that there had to be a campaign, so Bioware half-assed one out to show the kind of things module creators could do. So I assume it'd be if you wanted to import your Baldur's Gate character into a new player created campaign entirely, not the Bioware created one.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Importing for mods makes sense. I think they had a draft of an official campaign when they were first making it, though that's based on one of the swords in Baldur's Gate (The fire sword that does more damage to regenerating creatures and undead). I also read that the original draft had Part 2 set entirely in Luskan (Probably why it's so long), and the final chapter was supposed to take place in an occupied Neverwinter. Doesn't one of the Spellhold inmates mention something about the sarrukh?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Longshot: back in 2012 (god time is flying) I started BG1 with Tutu. I made it to Baldur's Gate and completed all the plot threads up through to that point. Then my computer died.

Since the EE sale, I got both BG1 EE and BG2 EE. Before I just jump into BG2, does anyone have a save file that would work with EE that occurred around that same point? I figure I could use a save game editor to make things roughly what they were (I *think* I was some sort of fighter/mage), so I can beat it before going on to BG1. I was going for chaotic good, and I figure that's a common enough way to go about things that it's not a completely silly question.

I found some files on google, but I suspect there are incompatibilities between normal BG1 and BG1EE, since they straight up did not work.

I have a good/neutral party around level 5-7. PM me and I can send you the save.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

It was scrapped almost just a few months before release, after reviewing enough they realized basically all you were importing was your characters name, since even the appearance wasn't any point in importing.

Meanwhile, Trent Oster is hoping to do an Enhanced Edition of NWN, but last I talked with him about it, he was having licensing issues. He still claims to have a list a mile long of improvements he'd want to make.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

It was scrapped almost just a few months before release, after reviewing enough they realized basically all you were importing was your characters name, since even the appearance wasn't any point in importing.

Meanwhile, Trent Oster is hoping to do an Enhanced Edition of NWN, but last I talked with him about it, he was having licensing issues. He still claims to have a list a mile long of improvements he'd want to make.

If they can actually get NWN, I'd love them.

Like seriously, of all the games that could use a touchup pass, it'd be NWN. But man that'd probably cost as much as a new game to Enhance, just due to the 3D/size.

e: I mean even the GoG version is broken right now. The character creator/editor doesn't work, mobs are missing, quests break fairly often if they require bigger scripts, etc. There is no way to play NWN legit start to finish on anything above Win7 right now, and it's a shame. Of all the games, it's the one that most needs an Enhancement to fix the actual coding issues.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 7, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I haven't played NWN since like 2006 (and never beat it or played the allegedly much better expansions but that's neither here nor there) but isn't the game really really (really) ugly? I dunno how much an enhanced edition could help that. Even NWN2 looks pretty drat ugly nowadays, although it's not quite so bad I couldn't play it or anything.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, it has aged really, really badly. The environments have it worst, though maybe that's just me coming from the hand-crafted maps of the Infinity Engine. It's weird, because the other Aurora Engine games are still okay looking.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Finishing Watcher's Keep is apparently really tiring:

So onto Bodhi!

The first encounter in the graveyard went sort of poorly, in that there was a bit of collateral damage:

The tactic of "Walk around with Sanctuary/Turn Undead" worked exceptionally well for everything but Bodhi (she's immune to instant death stuff for scripting reasons) so I had to use Energy Blades instead:

Next up: kill the Twisted Rune guys, do the Planar Sphere (I've been carrying around Valygar's corpse for about 3 months game time now), finish SoA

(This is the no magical items run, for the record)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 7, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

I haven't played NWN since like 2006 (and never beat it or played the allegedly much better expansions but that's neither here nor there) but isn't the game really really (really) ugly? I dunno how much an enhanced edition could help that. Even NWN2 looks pretty drat ugly nowadays, although it's not quite so bad I couldn't play it or anything.

I'd argue an Enhanced Edition of NWN wouldn't really touch up the graphics ( because the cost of that would be astronomical ), and would instead focus on getting it actually working on modern systems, maybe add more quests to the character roster/flesh out things a bit more storywise, and fix up some UI issues.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Stuck on a bit in SoD:
Have spoken to all the recruitable NPCs in the Recruitment Drive quest, now what? Speaking to Corwin and the Grand Dukes doesn't seem to advance anything :(

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Acaila posted:

Stuck on a bit in SoD:
Have spoken to all the recruitable NPCs in the Recruitment Drive quest, now what? Speaking to Corwin and the Grand Dukes doesn't seem to advance anything :(

I think you need to go upstairs and talk to Imoen, she should have recovered

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Making a modern moddable NWN:EE would be yooj. Like, could you even imagine the sort of content might be possible if the system held together well enough for people to start importing other 3rd Edition mechanics and rules and classes and spells?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Making a modern moddable NWN:EE would be yooj. Like, could you even imagine the sort of content might be possible if the system held together well enough for people to start importing other 3rd Edition mechanics and rules and classes and spells?

Yooj, you say?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So what do you do with the barrel of BWOOSH? I can't see any container to put it in, and dropping it on the ground didn't do anything, even when I walked off. Can't force-attack it with fire arrows a la IWD2 explosive barrels either. I'm lost!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

So what do you do with the barrel of BWOOSH? I can't see any container to put it in, and dropping it on the ground didn't do anything, even when I walked off. Can't force-attack it with fire arrows a la IWD2 explosive barrels either. I'm lost!

The place to put it down is clearly marked and there's a scripted action to put it there. If you need to know where to go just put on the Stone Dowser amulet in the underground tunnels and follow the directions until you reach the place.

I think it can also be used to gain access to the Warrens, but considering how there's a much more readily available Potion of Fire Breath at the beginning of that area, it seems like a bit of a waste.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wouldn't NWN1: EE be about as much if not more of a hassle to do than IWD2: EE? Then again, they've worked on NWN before and should know the coding whilst Black Isle apparently did some weird things with the Infinity Engine to get it to work right with the 3e rules IWD2 uses.

Also I'd like a Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition. On Windows 8 onwards the desktop keeps flickering through while playing the game and the only fix I know of it is to kill Explorer.exe before loading the game up which is a pain.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Insurrectionist posted:

I still play it today and it looks better than some stuff from back then, but obvious it is kind of early 3D. But already back then you could mod it to have hands that have more detail than five polygons and stuff. And the environments might have looked sort of plain, but I feel NWN2 managed to look even worse if you tried to do it yourself.

But I'm not very good at using that toolset.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Samuel Clemens posted:

I was just thinking about the potential of unorthodox ranged builds. You could throw in darts and throwing knives as well.
Pretty sure daggers would be best for the Kensai due to getting more attacks.
The same might be true for darts/Archers, but then it's possible that depends on what version of Grand Mastery you're using - afaik Archers can only put two points into Darts.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The place to put it down is clearly marked and there's a scripted action to put it there. If you need to know where to go just put on the Stone Dowser amulet in the underground tunnels and follow the directions until you reach the place.
That didn't work for me; I dropped the barrel right where the game had stopped me to play the scripted dialogue and nothing came of it. So I assume that's a bug.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

That didn't work for me; I dropped the barrel right where the game had stopped me to play the scripted dialogue and nothing came of it. So I assume that's a bug.

I just clicked on that spot and the game dropped the barrel automatically for me.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I just clicked on that spot and the game dropped the barrel automatically for me.
Oh, so there is something to interact with?
I was looking for something to click on when the game didn't react to me manually placing the barrel, but couldn't find anything.

Well, next time, I guess.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Also I'd like a Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition. On Windows 8 onwards the desktop keeps flickering through while playing the game and the only fix I know of it is to kill Explorer.exe before loading the game up which is a pain.

I'd like that too, if only because I had issues with Planescape crashing when entering certain areas while using the widescreen patch (I think that's what was causing the issue). Planescape is also the only IE game where the Story Mode setting seems most appropriate.

I think Beamdog said that the issue with getting EE versions of PS:T and Icewind Dale II is that a lot of the coding or framework for those two games are vastly different from BG 1&2 and IWD1. They didn't say it was off the table, but that it would be a while before it happens.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wizard Styles posted:

Pretty sure daggers would be best for the Kensai due to getting more attacks.
The same might be true for darts/Archers, but then it's possible that depends on what version of Grand Mastery you're using - afaik Archers can only put two points into Darts.

To be honest, I have no idea what type of Grand Mastery the Enhanced Edition uses. I can't even remember if they implemented slings getting the bonus damage from your Strength.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I haven't played Baldur's Gate 1 since it came out and going through the EE, the game seems a lot shorter than I remember. Maybe my mind was blind to the 5-6 CDs back in the day.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
I'm not positive but I think the EE games have true grandmastery like vanilla BG.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
BG 1 just has a loooot of optional content. The crit path for the game has always been very short.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Harlock posted:

I haven't played Baldur's Gate 1 since it came out and going through the EE, the game seems a lot shorter than I remember. Maybe my mind was blind to the 5-6 CDs back in the day.

Part of it is that we're much better at compression nowadays, SoA has like twice the content and fit on 2 disks. But if you do every single side quest Bgee still takes awhil to beat.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

A lot of good features have been added to speed up boring gameplay. Imagine playing without quicklooting now.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mordaedil posted:

A lot of good features have been added to speed up boring gameplay. Imagine playing without quicklooting now.
I played through Chapter 2-3 without knowing about quicklooting :negative: The Iron Mines were especially bad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

How do you quick loot. Because I don't think I have ever done it.

Also the Barghest from Siege of Dragon is probably harder then the final boss for me. I just can't handle him and his 6 man team. I am glad he is optional and you can just not go into his area of Dragonspear Castle.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 7, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

How do you quick loot. Because I don't think I have ever done it.
The red diamond on the left side of the quickbar puts a bunch of boxes above the dialog box. When you're near corpses or on the ground the items populate there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Harlock posted:

The red diamond on the left side of the quickbar puts a bunch of boxes above the dialog box. When you're near corpses or on the ground the items populate there.

Oh Cool thanks.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

I played through Chapter 2-3 without knowing about quicklooting :negative: The Iron Mines were especially bad.

You tell me about it, I first discovered it while playing Icewind Dale EE in multiplayer with a pair of buddies. It made a world of difference.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Sling get a str bonus, but I don't think darts do, I can't remember if throwing daggers do or not, but if so then they are probably the best weapon in the game for number of attacks.

Washout fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 7, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Throwing Daggers get the Strength bonus, and an extra attack per round. Darts don't get the Strength bonus, but they do get two extra attacks.

So a level 13+ Kensai with 19 Strength and EE Grand Mastery is looking at 4 attacks per round before Improved Haste, getting +5 damage from Grand Mastery and +7 from Strength, plus whatever leveling bonus thanks to being a Kensai (at least another +4, but +10 or more by the end of ToB). With the better Throwing Daggers that's pretty much guaranteed 20-something damage.

I don't think that can be beat, Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization or not.

If we're talking soloing, though, the Archer is still probably going to take it because the Kensai can't use Vhailor's Helm, and no matter how good Throwing Daggers are I'm pretty sure they're not as good as having a Simulacrum.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Is that boomerang dagger the best returning dagger in the game?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Firetooth is the best, and does some damage through Stoneskin as an added bonus. Has to be bought in Ust Natha, though.

e: 2d4+3, +1d2 fire damage
I guess it gets another damage die for some reason, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If a ring says "protection from petrification", it should protect me from petrification, not improve my saving throws slightly but not enough to keep me from being likely to end up stoned by basilisks anyway.