Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cnut the Great posted:

Of course that was a part of it. If you don't make a profit you don't get to make more movies, and that wouldn't make any director happy.

But I truly believe Lucas mostly just did what he would have done anyway, even if there was no money on the line. I think would be ludicrous to say the same thing for the Disney Corporation.

Holy poo poo - you really do have Lucas' cock firmly up your own rear end. Dude, you write some good poo poo but the Lucas fanboyism is way to strong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Cnut the Great posted:

drat, yeah, you're right. I hope Disney don't lose their shirts on this thing. Are people even still interested in Star Wars anymore?

While I agree with you, you've also pointed out that the argument is pointless. A Star Wars movie can never be risky because people will go see it regardless.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah but going out of your way to say, SEE, LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE AND INCLUSIVE WE ARE! Kind of ruins it, instead of letting it be what it is, they have to harp on it.

I don't think they're harping on anything. They're praising it, saying that it's pretty great.

Like, someone saying, "Good on the trailer for treating female characters better than usual" is nothing to get upset about.

Is it specifically referencing the test that has you upset?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

alg posted:

Your, we, and they, who are these people.

Bothans (gender undetermined)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MrFlibble posted:

A Star Wars movie can never be risky because people will go see it regardless.

Zack Snyder would make a risky Star Wars movie. And I'd go see it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I might see it if James Gunn wrote the script.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

This is me reading this thread

Me too except mark is doing the joker voice in my version

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
IMO the Bechdel test is a neat way of making people think about sexism in art, and it's annoying that some people treat it as a reliable way of telling if a movie is ethical or not, but ultimately I try not to worry about them. This is my highly controversial opinion, I bet I'll get downvoted to hell over this!!

E: oh, and the movie looks cool, I find something compelling in the grubby OT aesthetics filmed all crisp and digital.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 7, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

teagone posted:

Zack Snyder would make a bad Star Wars movie. And I'd go see it.

#fixedthatforyouetc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I might see it if James Gunn wrote the script.

Ugnh, Snyder/Gunn reunion for a Star Wars movie would totally be my poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Krazyface posted:

IMO the Bechdel test is a neat way of making people think about sexism in art, and it's annoying that some people treat it as a reliable way of telling if a movie is ethical or not, but ultimately I try not to worry about them. This is my highly controversial opinion, I bet I'll get downvoted to hell over this!!

This is exactly how I look at it too. It's a good metric to look at; but it tells you precisely one thing about the movie, and isn't representative of a whole film.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
One thing I really like in the trailer is Darth Vader's breathing very subtly being in the background when they reveal that last shot of her

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I was impressed at how it didn't feel like just reusing imagery from the OT.

Yeah I don't think it "looks like" A New Hope in that sense - it has a clearly different sense of even shared settings and objects. But I do appreciate that Edwards has a more deliberate, Lucasian style than Abrams. Little surprised at how not scary the AT-ATs are though, you'd think a guy with two excellent kaiju movies under his belt could do more with those. Maybe the movie has better stuff than this trailer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

Little surprised at how not scary the AT-ATs are though, you'd think a guy with two excellent kaiju movies under his belt could do more with those. Maybe the movie has better stuff than this trailer.

I imagine the sound editing is what will make the AT-ATs terrifying in the theater.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

euphronius posted:

"Women Using the Force: Hollywood's Diversity Quotas and the Disappearing Male Movie Hero"

Please no

Absolutely the worst thing in the trailer, probably followed by the guy wearing a giant napkin over his shoulders.

----

As an aside to all this, maybe they're never going to put Ahsoka in a movie because she looks too much like a clown.

Havelock Ellis
Oct 21, 2010

Yes...hmmm.
Actually Space Zatoichi is cool and good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Look at this visual story telling. Look at it and be amazed.

and at the end

A character arc in 3 frames as told by Lines.

I noticed that immediately a thought it was awesome .

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

Absolutely the worst thing in the trailer, probably followed by the guy wearing a giant napkin over his shoulders.

Yeah, but if he ends up being a Jedi and that staff is a lightsaber he's hiding (like what Kanan does), and he ignites moments later in that scene... it'll be the best thing ever. Donnie Yen Jedi is pretty cool in my book. Hope it's true.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I hope Flick turns bad and personally murders all those Bothan spies. Enough with hero stories, let's have some villains.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Collider has high res shots up from the trailer in case any of you want new wallpapers http://collider.com/rogue-one-trailer-images-star-wars/?utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I see what you did there. (And I love it).

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Look, ok, I'm not saying that I'm weird and uncomfortable about women, or that I'm desperately lonely, but if there's one thing that REALLY gets my goat, it's people talking about how seeing female characters do cool stuff in a star war makes them happy

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Love the trailer, not seeing a lotta gleep-glorp aliens tho

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Havelock Ellis posted:

Actually Space Zatoichi is cool and good.

:agreed:

Also, it's probably a vibroblade which is basically a proto-lightsaber!

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Love the trailer, not seeing a lotta gleep-glorp aliens tho

Yeah that was my exact thought. Really liked the trailer looking forward to the movie but where are all the aliens? You'd think there'd be room for one loving alien in an ensemble. Space racists

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I saw a robot butt, that's kind of like an alien.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 7, 2016

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Robutt posted:

Yeah that was my exact thought. Really liked the trailer looking forward to the movie but where are all the aliens? You'd think there'd be room for one loving alien in an ensemble. Space racists

You have to remember what the Rebellion looked like during the time of A New Hope. Outside of Tatooine, there weren't a lot of aliens in ANH. When we met the Rebellion, it was largely (to borrow a phrase from a different franchise) a homo-sapiens only club. It wasn't really until Return of the Jedi that we started seeing aliens as members (outside of Chewie in Empire).

What the "in-universe" reasons for that might be, I don't know. But if you're depicting the Rebellion at the time of the Battle of Yavin, showing a bunch of aliens would have us believe that, in A New Hope, they were, I don't know, all in another room or something.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What about them Bothans?!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The first trailer looked fantastic. I am really excited to see this movie. The direction LucasFilms is taking the new era of Star Wars is really great so far. The Force Awakens is unquestionably an amazing film and so because of that, at least right now, I have a lot of faith in this side story.

thrawn527 posted:

You have to remember what the Rebellion looked like during the time of A New Hope. Outside of Tatooine, there weren't a lot of aliens in ANH. When we met the Rebellion, it was largely (to borrow a phrase from a different franchise) a homo-sapiens only club. It wasn't really until Return of the Jedi that we started seeing aliens as members (outside of Chewie in Empire).

What the "in-universe" reasons for that might be, I don't know. But if you're depicting the Rebellion at the time of the Battle of Yavin, showing a bunch of aliens would have us believe that, in A New Hope, they were, I don't know, all in another room or something.

Before the EU no longer became canon, the Empire was committing mass genocide, wiping out alien races and wanted a human only Empire.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I hope Flick turns bad and personally murders all those Bothan spies. Enough with hero stories, let's have some villains.

Wrong Death Star.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When they greenlight the sequel will they call it Rogue Two or Rogue, Too?

Rogue Two: D2?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

What about them Bothans?!

All dead

Poor bothans

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

The sequel came out in 1977.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Rogue2rogueFurious

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Yeah I realise the Rebellion (hell, the whole galaxy) is primarily a human organisation - dissidents with ties back to the old senate in the form of Mon Mothma and the Organas etc. And I get that it's only a trailer so maybe I'm worried about nothing but is the mention of some Bothans or a shot of a Sullustan pilot really too much to hope for?

hhhat posted:

Rogue2rogueFurious

RogueNrouge 3: Malastare Drift

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
It's going to be called Rogue One-Two: Many Bothans Die.

Now can we get back to angry goons making GBS threads on the things they love?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Robutt posted:

Yeah I realise the Rebellion (hell, the whole galaxy) is primarily a human organisation - dissidents with ties back to the old senate in the form of Mon Mothma and the Organas etc. And I get that it's only a trailer so maybe I'm worried about nothing but is the mention of some Bothans or a shot of a Sullustan pilot really too much to hope for?

RogueNrouge 3: Malastare Drift

Good Name Pull

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Captain Splendid posted:

Same actress who played her in RotS too. She's not on the cutting floor this time though.

Man, I read this as RotJ and it severely broke my brain for a few minutes. I had to Google it because my concepts of space and time and human aging got all discombobulated.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Robutt posted:

Yeah, I was expecting more . . . Bothans. Or, you know, any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

homullus posted:

Yeah, I was expecting more . . . Bothans. Or, you know, any.
In fairness, we don't know what a bothan looks like. Maybe Mon Mothma is a Bothan. Sounds like a Bothan name.

• Locked thread