Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They've got huge magical defense. Spellcraft that poo poo into a Hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Heck yes if it's BD but without groundhog day bullshit then I am all on this sh*t.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What he said. Basically anytime your physical/magical attacks aren't doing the damage you expect, check the enemy's stat block and target whichever defense is lower. Note that even though the Dart & Blast effects don't say so, they also enhance damage, albeit less than Hammer's conversion to physical.

The catch is that Wizard is one of the demo's starting classes, so you'll likely max it out early and the Spellcraft feature that makes their skillset useful doesn't come in a transferable ability. Hawkeye, can work too, but you don't gain the ability to add elemental damage to your attacks until it reaches level 4. So either way, dealing with those guys probably means leaving one of your party members in a job they've already maxed out. Whether that's important depends on how easily you get worked up over 'wasting' JP.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

picked up a gold apparati ba'al from a japanese player with unearthly buns as its rare steal.

i can essentially farm all stat ups now, though the stealing can take a considerable time.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Only Play Bonus I have left in the demo is fully restoring the moon base. So is there any way to get additional mooninites besides streetpassing people who also play the demo?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
As far as I can tell there's no way to get a free second villager like there was in the first demo, so Streetpass seems to be it.

I'm almost done with the demo, just gotta kill like 20 more of these Magic Ants and then beat those bosses on Hard. The play bonuses on this demo don't seem as nice as from the first one, the first one gave you some decent starting equipment, this one just gives items.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The equipment was nice, but it was pretty much just the second tier of basic weapons and armor for the starting classes. Instead, I plan to get the same effect by selling the Elixir and high end curative stuff and using it to finance the early game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's been a while since I played BD but I know at least in the Final Fantasy series Elixirs usually sell for 1 gil/GP, as a way to say "Don't sell this you idiot." The Turbo Ether should bring in big money though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So would it be okay to ask for bravely default advice in here? I'm finishing up the first game before I play Bravely Second and Vampire Castle is kicking my rear end in Chapter 4. My team is level 64 and even playing on easy I get hosed by the random enemies, much less DeRosso and his ridiculous 150,000 HP later on.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The Iron Rose posted:

So would it be okay to ask for bravely default advice in here? I'm finishing up the first game before I play Bravely Second and Vampire Castle is kicking my rear end in Chapter 4. My team is level 64 and even playing on easy I get hosed by the random enemies, much less DeRosso and his ridiculous 150,000 HP later on.

Vampire Castle is probably the hardest area in the game if you do it as soon as it becomes available. If you want a cheap way to get through it, just turn off random encounters to get to the boss and use ninjas to evade and counter all the boss's attacks. Alternatively, wait until Chapter 5 when it gets much easier to level up your party, although this does mean you can't get access to some of the Vampire class's skillset until a bit later.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Hm, first attempt at setting up my friend summon and I did a 400,000 damage hit before realizing I forgot to boost crit damage and exploit an elemental weakness. Yowza. Good to see the game is still as fun/easy to break over your knee as it was last time :v:

Story is so-so, just thankful they did not pull the time loop nonsense, though I will admit I was scared when it kicks you to the new game+ the first time Anne blows up the moon and time stops. Otherwise nothing particularly stands out, aside from Yoko being far and away the best new character once her entire plot is revealed. The entirety of the ba'al plotline just feels like it's full of plotholes and raises more questions than it raises, but I -guess- that's okay if it's all meant as a tie-in to give themselves another sequel via the moon. Throw it way in the future, give me an all new cast, and let's go full on sci-fi instead of steampunk fantasy that goes heavy on the fantasy. :getin:

New gameplay mechanics are great. I like that escalating fights and multiple auto-battle schemes gave you a reason to put in more effort for random battles for more reward, and I even managed to kill myself from over extending a few times early on. New jobs are great and spellcraft, even if a bit more limited in scope than I thought at first, is one of the best new additions and even something as simple as doing Raise Mist makes you feel like a genius. My only complaint is that Patisserie doesn't feel as useful as Salve-maker did in BD, but I know job balance is never gonna be perfect with 30 jobs. Also slightly annoyed at needing to choose between so many jobs early on, but it was hard enough finding time and places for the jobs I did have so I guess this amounts to square trying to save me from myself and my eternal greed for more asterisks.

Overall, solves the crippling time loop problem that Bravely Default had while adding a good amount of content to one of my favorite RPG systems, so I'd say it's a solid game and a "must get" for anyone who thought the first one was good. Biggest downside is probably just a completely forgettable soundtrack, when I hear the opening notes of the bravely second victory tune I still just hear the bravely default victory flute.

Thuryl posted:

Vampire Castle is probably the hardest area in the game if you do it as soon as it becomes available. If you want a cheap way to get through it, just turn off random encounters to get to the boss and use ninjas to evade and counter all the boss's attacks. Alternatively, wait until Chapter 5 when it gets much easier to level up your party, although this does mean you can't get access to some of the Vampire class's skillset until a bit later.

Funny enough, (bravely second spoilers) the vampire castle is revisited in the second game and Yoko actually points out that it's no risk and no reward if you're disabling auto battles, and locks you a set encounter rate for the only time in the entire game. I thought that was a nice touch, as was several mentions of Rafflesia grinding (even by Agnes herself) towards the end of Bravely Second. Very strange when this game gets meta :v:

As for the first game, if disabling encounter rates feels too cheesy for you, just get a high agi class like thief and Run from every encounter.

Minera fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 3, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're just running from everything, you might as well just turn encounters off anyway and save yourself the time and frustration.

And yeah, the Vampire Castle is an end-game dungeon that opens up at the end of chapter 4 so everything is super hard because you're meant to do it after that. It's worth doing it at chapter 4 so you can get all the Vampirism skills before having to wait until the end game.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 3, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Thuryl posted:

Alternatively: the Hasten World/Stillness exploit if you absolutely must have Vampire in chapter 4.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The Iron Rose posted:

Valk with Blizzaga spellblade and super jump. If they get in the air they /should/ come down on the hellhounds for 9999 damage and kill them straight. As I recall there's a ribbon around there somewhere so put that on your valk and do everything to shield them.

The Vamp fight itself can be dealt with via a templar using Rampart with some sort of BP recovery gimmick to help them keep it going.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

For Bravely Second, in the sidequests that involve choosing which of two asterisks you receive, are they paired in strategically similar pairs? E.g., choosing between, say, Monk & Pirate vs. choosing between Ninja & White Mage. I'd actually be fine with either. The former is 'nicer' for making a balance party, but the latter would make a given playthrough much more individualized.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So I could use some Demo Boss advice if anyone has it.

I'm a little stonewalled at Geist The Bloody under the Dormitories. He keeps managing to get me in a loop (I deal a good chunk of damage to him, he cancels it, I lose a party member and have to Res them, he cancels it.) My current team is Astro/Wizard, Red Mage/Performer, RM/Swordsmaster, and Whatever The Gun One Is Called/Valkyrie, but I can swap that around pretty comfortably. Any good tricks to this guy?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

LordHippoman posted:

So I could use some Demo Boss advice if anyone has it.

I'm a little stonewalled at Geist The Bloody under the Dormitories. He keeps managing to get me in a loop (I deal a good chunk of damage to him, he cancels it, I lose a party member and have to Res them, he cancels it.) My current team is Astro/Wizard, Red Mage/Performer, RM/Swordsmaster, and Whatever The Gun One Is Called/Valkyrie, but I can swap that around pretty comfortably. Any good tricks to this guy?

Use a Wizard/RM to cast Raise with a Mist effect. It'll revive your party at the end of every turn for three turns, and makes the fight a million times easier if you keep it active. You might want a couple of Wiz/RMs in case one of them gets KOed while you don't have Raise Mist up. They can still do good damage to him despite his crazy MDef, thanks to Hammer.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Rangpur posted:

For Bravely Second, in the sidequests that involve choosing which of two asterisks you receive, are they paired in strategically msimilar pairs? E.g., choosing between, say, Monk & Pirate vs. choosing between Ninja & White Mage. I'd actually be fine with either. The former is 'nicer' for making a balance party, but the latter would make a given playthrough much more individualized.

Pairs seem to be chosen mostly for narrative, at least there's no real pattern to the job distribution that I can see. You only get to choose with recurring jobs from Default though, all the new jobs are guaranteed (which also ensures that you got all the basic roles covered no matter who you pick).

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Then I have one further, more specific question: do they make you choose between Swordmaster/Pirate or Time Mage/Valkyrie? I remember using both of those combinations a bunch in the first game.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Rangpur posted:

Then I have one further, more specific question: do they make you choose between Swordmaster/Pirate or Time Mage/Valkyrie? I remember using both of those combinations a bunch in the first game.

Hang on, just picked this up, does this mean I'm not able to get all jobs in a single playthrough? Because if so gently caress.

Also is there a spreadsheet yet of friend codes for tag-team shenanigans and moonbase unlocking?

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
You can get all the jobs in a single playthrough, but you won't get your other choice until lategame.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Rangpur posted:

Spoilers for job choices/etc ahead You choose between summoner/swordmaster, pirate/performer, time mage/dark knight, and valkyrie/monk. not necessarily in that order.

I would say the most important choice is probably the thief/red mage. Thief has more opportunies for loot and money early on, red mage is more exploitable if you just prefer to grind and buy everything, since red mage's BP recovery and hunter's self berserk lets you do infinite battle chains really, really early. The only other choice i think really matters, is picking up one of either summoner, black mage, or white mage early on, to have some offensive magic to pair with spellcraft when witch's base spells start to fall off in damage.

That said you get to revisit and pick up any and all of the remaining jobs like, right after you make your eighth choice.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

one last bravely default question

does the story content in the sub scenarios differ significantly in chapters 7 and 8 because otherwise imma just finish since my routine of enigma + drain sword + 12x dark nebula is getting rather stale at this point

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just tried the demo out. Is the bestiary as useless as it seems? I didn't see monster stats, or even elemental weaknesses/strengths anywhere.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

LLSix posted:

Just tried the demo out. Is the bestiary as useless as it seems? I didn't see monster stats, or even elemental weaknesses/strengths anywhere.
The Bestiary collects in-character dialogue about the various monsters, adding additional notes as you kill more of them. If you have a complete entry it will tell you more or less what each monster can do, and even suggests strategies for defeating them. Which is a bit pointless because a completed entry means killing like 30 of each individual species. So to answer your question, not quite useless but also not super helpful.

The good news is that Examine is the level 1 Freelancer ability, so you can set that as your sub-job, and make use of the skill without bothering to put any experience into it. And it will tell you literally everything there is know about a monster's stats/weaknesses. If you examined an enemy just once you can check its stats in every future encounter without having to reuse the skill. The Magnifying Glass item does the same thing--you can purchase them by upgrading the Munitions Factory on the Moon once or twice.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Oh my god Janne's voice is so grating

also yew is an idiot

on the other hand the puns are amazing

Anyways I added everyone in thread who posted their friend codes so far so y'all should add me as well

FC: 0404-9896-4344

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 6, 2016

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Really need help with boss at end of chapter five!!!

the dimante ba'al keeps kicking my rear end! I read online that I need to cast elemental barrier and then use elemental attacks to defeat without getting hurt. However, I used my astrologian to cast a fire elemental barrier with fire protection, then used blast to give to whole party. I used warhead and fire based magic to cause damage but it's still bouncing back and hurting me!! What am I doing wrong?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Have your mage, dual-wielding rods, Attack a few times.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

on the other hand the puns are amazing

FC: 0404-9896-4344
I know at some point "Let's bust some Ba'als!" will stop making me giggle. Not yet though!

Friend Codes are probably a good idea, 'cause I'm sure as hell not getting any villagers off of Streetpass. Here's mine:
FC: 2853-0728-4947

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I'm going through and adding people's FC, so here's mine:

FC: 2294 - 7457 - 8286

To save anyone else the trouble of going through the thread for all the FCs, I made a list:
irlZaphod 3179-6055-6192
Samael 0061-0189-8488
Junpei Hyde 2148-8399-4584
Dunban 1848-2888-3654
Turhapuuro 2638-0603-2955
Kin 2423-3814-4667
Avalerion 4484-8908-1219
Suaimhneas 0962-9710-0735
Lizzy 0087-3730-9835
Comrade Kirov 0860-3446-7611
AAAAA 4227-2278-4627
The Iron Rose 0404-9896-4344
Rangpur 2853-0728-4947
Bedurndurn 2294-7457-8286

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 7, 2016

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Terper posted:

Have your mage, dual-wielding rods, Attack a few times.

Is there anyway to stop brilliancy wiping me out? Occasionally I survive it but most the time it gets me!

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

nerd_of_prey posted:

Is there anyway to stop brilliancy wiping me out? Occasionally I survive it but most the time it gets me!

I think I used Calm when I saw it coming. You can also use Raise/Araise Mist or Reraise Blast.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Oh my loving god, sometimes your own OP-ness works against you. I'm in the Skyhold fighting Revenant Grace, and it used the possession skill on the same turn my bishop set up her most powerful heal spell as a Mist. Revenant Grace proceeds to chill in my wizard's body and heals for about 30k health, almost back to full. Won't be using Mist again in a hurry this battle!

Also, my FC is 1349-5172-3321, and I've added everyone in that very helpful short list just above, add me back please.

Konig fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 7, 2016

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Added everyone on the list above + Konig. My friend code is 4871-3978-2918.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Added back. Also, if anyone else is wondering if the exorcist's Undo HP works on Revenant Grace's abandoned suit of armor, it does (fittingly enough). Turns a frustrating boss battle into a 3-turn cakewalk.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
does doing the demo give me any kind of like, bonus story or items? i can't really get it easily at the moment so i'm hoping it's like the first game and it just gives you a few items when you start

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

does doing the demo give me any kind of like, bonus story or items? i can't really get it easily at the moment so i'm hoping it's like the first game and it just gives you a few items when you start

Yeah, it's exactly like in the first game.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

DoctorX posted:

I think I used Calm when I saw it coming. You can also use Raise/Araise Mist or Reraise Blast.

Thanks but I must admit in the end I was sick of that ba'al and just cheesed it by weakly attacking until barrier was down then using SP to do max damage. I'm not proud of myself but am happy to be on chapter 6!!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

literally only your basic stack of items you can purchase anywhere

also added everyone on here to clarify

irlZaphod 3179-6055-6192
Samael 0061-0189-8488
Junpei Hyde 2148-8399-4584
Dunban 1848-2888-3654
Turhapuuro 2638-0603-2955
Kin 2423-3814-4667
Avalerion 4484-8908-1219
Suaimhneas 0962-9710-0735
Lizzy 0087-3730-9835
Comrade Kirov 0860-3446-7611
AAAAA 4227-2278-4627
The Iron Rose 0404-9896-4344
Rangpur 2853-0728-4947
Bedurndurn 2294-7457-8286
Konig: 1349-5172-332
Retcon: 4871-3978-291

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

nerd_of_prey posted:

Thanks but I must admit in the end I was sick of that ba'al and just cheesed it by weakly attacking until barrier was down then using SP to do max damage. I'm not proud of myself but am happy to be on chapter 6!!
I never understood the reluctance to use SP. That's what it's there for, you know? It's like the JRPG consumable fallacy, except you automatically get them back anyway.

• Locked thread