Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Butterbumps sneaks into the sept every night and takes a dook in tywin's open stomach potpourri. This is also a beautiful image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

maybe the poison made all his poop go into his dick and thats what made him horny and stinky

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

maybe the poison made all his poop go into his dick and thats what made him horny and stinky

So Tyrion saved Shae from a poison death as well, a true humanitarian.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

lezard_valeth posted:

The graphic was drawn based on a Storm of Swords. And it uses a weird criteria. Connections are made whenever a character name pops up 15 words away from another character name. That is why, for example, Illyrio is not connected to Varys, Rickon is not connected to Jon, or Joffrey is not connected to Robert (my eyes bled out trying to make that out), or some weird connections pop up like Brienne - Lysa Arrin, Balon Greyjoy - Sansa or Amory Loch - Oberyn.

It's an easy to parse criteria.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lezard_valeth posted:

The main problem with this theory is that even if it's magical plot poison, the bodies of the inhabitants of ASoIaF are pretty much still human with some exceptions. Tywin should have developed symptoms way sooner (fever, swelling, jaundice among others), and even if his pride would initially stop him from going up to a Maester and admiting he has not been able to poop, after a while he would have realized something was amiss. And he would most certainly not be in the mood for sex.

For that reason, I either think his body stinking up was either metaphorically to represent his corruptness (improbable, since GRRM does not do this kind of things as far as I can remember) or someone purposedly tampered with the body conditioning in order to piss Cersei off (the Queen of Thorns, but most probably Varys in order to ignite Cersei's paranoia).

Or maybe some bodies just stink more then others

In any case, I bet we will never know for sure

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I thought there were some suggestive statements indicating Tywin was consulting a maester about some health concerns? The thing I like about the theory is it helps make some of Oberyn's choices make sense. If you assume he came to King's Landing to kill Tywin and the Mountain, killing one and then demanding trial by combat to face the other makes sense.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

lifts cats over head posted:

I thought there were some suggestive statements indicating Tywin was consulting a maester about some health concerns? The thing I like about the theory is it helps make some of Oberyn's choices make sense. If you assume he came to King's Landing to kill Tywin and the Mountain, killing one and then demanding trial by combat to face the other makes sense.

His plan seems to have been to get the Mountain to implicate Tywin during the fight. Which nearly worked, except hubris.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

OrthoTrot posted:

His plan seems to have been to get the Mountain to implicate Tywin during the fight. Which nearly worked, except hubris.

True but the fight was for Tyrion and he would have had no way of knowing that that the trial would come about unless he knew someone of note would die. Or he just seized the opportunity when it arose which is also possible.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
:lol: This was a pretty good April Fool's Day post I just saw.

http://abnormaluse.com/2016/04/in-game-of-thrones-litigation-south-carolina-state-court-enters-judgment-against-george-r-r-martin.html

quote:

Bill McCammon, a librarian and blogger from Greer, South Carolina, sued HBO and Martin in federal court following the finale of the most recent season of “Game of Thrones” in June of 2015. In so doing, he asserted various causes of action against Martin, including a claim for “negligent artistry,” alienation of affection, and a novel use of laches, which is traditionally an affirmative defense asserted by defendants against plaintiffs accused of unreasonable delay. In the complaint, McCammon further complained that he had “suffered a loss of moral superiority, as his status as a reader of the novels provided him with foreknowledge of the events of the HBO series, thereby distinguishing him from mere watchers of popular television.” Martin’s delay, McCammon contended, cost him that “precious” status. McCammon further contended that HBO was vicariously liable for Martin’s torts in light of their artistic relationship.

quote:

Adopting McCammon’s laches theory, the Court observed that “art, unlike molasses, must move quickly, and thus, an artist’s unreasonable delay in releasing a promised work must subject that creator to liability.”

quote:

In response to the ruling, Martin, through his literary agent, declined to comment, saying he was too busy working on other projects to prepare a response to the ruling.

Turdis McWordis fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 2, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's fantastic. Though they should have called it "Milk of the Sugar Cane" instead of molasses.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There's a whole lot of evidence someone with more time than me wrote out:

quote:

“Where will I find my lord father?”
“In the solar with Lord Tyrell and Prince Oberyn.”

Mace Tyrell and the Red Viper breaking bread together? Strange and stranger.
—Jaime and Ser Meryn Trant, upon Jaime’s return to King’s Landing

“Widow’s blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man’s bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons.”
—Grand Maester Pycelle, during Tyrion’s trial

“To be sure, I have much to thank your sister for. If not for her accusation at the feast, it might well be you judging me instead of me judging you.” The prince’s eyes were dark with amusement. “Who knows more of poison than the Red Viper of Dorne, after all?”
[…]
“Your father,” said Prince Oberyn, “may not live forever.”
Something about the way he said it made the hairs on the back of Tyrion’s neck bristle. Suddenly he was mindful of Elia again, and all that Oberyn had said as they crossed the field of ashes.
He wants the head that spoke the words, not just the hand that swung the sword
. “It is not wise to speak such treasons in the Red Keep, my prince. The little birds are listening.”
“Let them. Is it treason to say a man is mortal?
Valar morghulis
was how they said it in Valyria of old.
All men must die
. And the Doom came and proved it true.”
—Prince Oberyn Martell and Tyrion, in Tyrion’s cell

He found his father where he knew he’d find him, seated in the dimness of the privy tower, bedrobe hiked up around his hips.
[…]
For once, his father did what Tyrion asked him. The proof was the sudden stench, as his bowels loosened in the moment of death.
Well, he was in the right place for it
, Tyrion thought. But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie.
Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, poo poo gold.
—from Tyrion’s assassination of Tywin during his escape from the black cells

The King’s Hand was rotting visibly. His face had taken on a greenish tinge, and his eyes were deeply sunken, two black pits. Fissures had opened in his cheeks, and a foul white fluid was seeping through the joints of his splendid gold-and-crimson armor to pool beneath his body.
[…]
Red-eyed and pale, Cersei climbed the steps to kneel above their father, drawing Tommen down beside her. The boy recoiled at the sight, but his mother seized his wrist before he could pull away.“Pray,” she whispered, and Tommen tried. But he was only eight and Lord Tywin was a horror. One desperate breath of air, then the king began to sob.“Stop that!” Cersei said. Tommen turned his head and doubled over, retching. His crown fell off and rolled across the marble floor. His mother pulled back in disgust, and all at once the king was running for the doors, as fast as his eight-year-old legs could carry him.
“Ser Osmund, relieve me,” Jaime said sharply, as Kettleblack turned to chase the crown. He handed the man the golden sword and went after his king. In the Hall of Lamps he caught him, beneath the eyes of two dozen startled septas. “I’m sorry,” Tommen wept. “I will do better on the morrow. Mother says a king must show the way, but the smell made me sick.”
This will not do. Too many eager ears and watching eyes.“Best we go outside, Your Grace.” Jaime led the boy out to where the air was as fresh and clean as King’s Landing ever got. Twoscore gold cloaks had been posted around the plaza to guard the horses and the litters. He took the king off to the side, well away from everyone, and sat him down upon the marble steps. “I wasn’t scared,” the boy insisted. “The smell made me sick. Didn’t it make you sick? How could you bear it, Uncle, ser?”
—Jaime, Cersei, and Tommen, during Tywin’s funeral.

I’m just saying: means, motive, opportunity.

Either way it doesn't matter much whether or not he was poisoned in the scheme of things either he wrote it that way deliberately and it's a cool little nod to Oberyn being a bad rear end, or its coincidence, who cares.

Gettin' hype for the season.

True but the fight was for Tyrion and he would have had no way of knowing that that the trial would come about unless he knew someone of note would die. Or he just seized the opportunity when it arose which is also possible.

When Oberyn came to take his seat at the council he had already made his intentions known of wanting both Elia's killer and whomever gave the order. The assumption was that Oberyn would have been given the mountain at some point, likely Tywin was going to drag out giving him the Mountain for as long as humanly possible and secure his families hold the kingdom by whatever means he could i.e. The only thing that matters was the perception of Tywin as innocent. Oberyn saw his opportunity to get revenge with his own hands when Tyrion demanded trial by combat and took it. His efforts to get The Mountain to name Tywin was to drive a wedge between the Dorne and Lannister alliance.

Remember at this point Dorne is simmering a little bit with one half of the kingdom wanting to go to war, the other half wanting peace. Oberyn and Doran are at odds over this with Doran preaching patience - hoping his ploy to marry Danny and whatshisface who gets cooked comes off allowing Dorne and Danny to rally Targ loyalists etc and do what they do later.

Oberyn's ploy trying to get Tywin named is pretty much to throw that alliance into disarry because Doran would have to respond. So Oberyn isn't exactly a mastermind here but he's pretty much trying to force his brother to attack or at least to act with some kind of immediacy.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

A character's decisions in a narrative should probably make sense without having to comb random bits of dialogue to find out that the character had a secret plot to do something which we will never actually find out was true or not and which didn't actually affect the story in any meaningful way.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Pedro De Heredia posted:

A character's decisions in a narrative should probably make sense without having to comb random bits of dialogue to find out that the character had a secret plot to do something which we will never actually find out was true or not and which didn't actually affect the story in any meaningful way.

The entire series is written in POVs from unreliable narrators. Most of the appeal is finding all the little clues and poo poo to things that aren't directly expressed.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
didnt that poison just cause someones bowels not to function effectively causing death through sepsis or septic shock?

I dont recall anywhere it stating that it would cause a dead body to smell excessively and putrify.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Considering what happens when Tyrion shoots him, did the crossbow bolt have an antidote on it? You'd think something like what Pycelle describes wouldn't stop working the second the person dies.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I agree that a character's decisions should usually make sense without scrabbling for random dialogue and subtle clues, but only if they affect the plot in some way. Given that it didn't matter whether or not Oberyn poisoned Tywin before he died, it doesn't really matter if you missed his hidden agenda, and you might never even suspect you missed anything unless you read internet forums. I actually think little hidden plots like this just add to the believability of the world - not everything a character does is relevant.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Okay tyrion didn't lean over and inspect the privy for actual poop. If you got stabbed in the gut by a crossbow bolt I'm sure you'd poo poo blood violently too. Wet plops are wet plops. Also see my last post where I said the body stinks because his blood is poopy. He's a poop man because of the poison. Tying back into the first point the blood would smell of poop, accounting for tyrion's PoV observation.

*in my humble fan canon opinion.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 6, 2016

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Arguing these things medically doesn't make a lot of sense. These aren't real things that happened they're things written by a man with layman's medical knowledge.

Does it make sense narratively and fit the themes Martin developed in that storyline? No, I don't think so. Someone else said Oberyn is like Inigo Montaya without the payoff. I think that's right and clearly fits with many of Martins preoccupations- self righteousness and justice isn't enough to overcome institutional power and strength. That is undercut if Oberyn won all along without anyone in the AGOT universe knowing it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

OrthoTrot posted:

Arguing these things medically doesn't make a lot of sense. These aren't real things that happened they're things written by a man with layman's medical knowledge.

Does it make sense narratively and fit the themes Martin developed in that storyline? No, I don't think so. Someone else said Oberyn is like Inigo Montaya without the payoff. I think that's right and clearly fits with many of Martins preoccupations- self righteousness and justice isn't enough to overcome institutional power and strength. That is undercut if Oberyn won all along without anyone in the AGOT universe knowing it.

I agree with your points but I don't think we can say he won. If all that is true, still Tyrion stole his victory. You could said that this one time self-righteousness and justice did won, except it lost since Oberyn died to get his revenge on the Mountain and then had his revenge on Tywin lost from him. And then the Mountain was kinda resurrected

In any case, I dont really believe this theory and I don't the the clues are even intentionally, just coincidences and circumstantial evidence. People have been waiting for this books for too long, reading and rereading and over reading and then start to find all sorts of crazy elaborate secret plots in the details.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 7, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think the biggest hint that he wasn't poisoned is the fact that it was never addressed in the show. Which is why Jeyne Poole, Rob's kid, and Stoneheart are going to be giant wet farts in the next couple of books.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I agree that a character's decisions should usually make sense without scrabbling for random dialogue and subtle clues, but only if they affect the plot in some way. Given that it didn't matter whether or not Oberyn poisoned Tywin before he died, it doesn't really matter if you missed his hidden agenda, and you might never even suspect you missed anything unless you read internet forums. I actually think little hidden plots like this just add to the believability of the world - not everything a character does is relevant.

I would argue that if it doesn't matter if Oberyn poisoned Tywin before he died , and it doesn't matter if you missed his hidden agenda, then his hidden agenda does not actually exist in any meaningful way.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I would argue that if it doesn't matter if Oberyn poisoned Tywin before he died , and it doesn't matter if you missed his hidden agenda, then his hidden agenda does not actually exist in any meaningful way.

You could argue that him poisoning Tywin makes his own death more tragic because he never lived to see his vengeance fulfilled, and it makes Tyrion's actions more tragic because his father would have died without his help and now he's a cursed kinslayer.

Or maybe it's just a cool little bit of world building that may or may not be true (we'll probably never know).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think the biggest hint that he wasn't poisoned is the fact that it was never addressed in the show. Which is why Jeyne Poole, Rob's kid, and Stoneheart are going to be giant wet farts in the next couple of books.

Those aren't remotely the same thing though. It's like saying that Stannis is probably going to die from some non-Brienne reason in the books and concluding that "obviously it doesn't matter or else the show would have covered it".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

computer parts posted:

Those aren't remotely the same thing though. It's like saying that Stannis is probably going to die from some non-Brienne reason in the books and concluding that "obviously it doesn't matter or else the show would have covered it".

That was the joke, yes. Guess it wasn't that funny.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Ginette Reno posted:

You could argue that him poisoning Tywin makes his own death more tragic because he never lived to see his vengeance fulfilled, and it makes Tyrion's actions more tragic because his father would have died without his help and now he's a cursed kinslayer.

Or maybe it's just a cool little bit of world building that may or may not be true (we'll probably never know).

No, if he poisoned Tywin before he died he would have died a happy man, knowing that he enacted vengeance for his sister by ensuring that both Tywin and Clegane will die a slow, agonizing death, for which Dorne won't be blamed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

No, if he poisoned Tywin before he died he would have died a happy man, knowing that he enacted vengeance for his sister by ensuring that both Tywin and Clegane will die a slow, agonizing death, for which Dorne won't be blamed.

pictured: a happy man

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm not sure if you're saying this means the theory is true or the theory is false. Personally I agree with everything you've said but I think it all means the theory is wrong. It would completely invalidate the reason Oberyn was written into the story, as I see it. It would undercut the whole narrative purpose for his existence.

I find most theories are pretty cool really. I've got a lot of time for random speculation about hidden clues in the text that might indicate something happened that would influence stuff yet to be printed/written (lol it will never be written). But the poisoned Tywin theory isn't like that. It doesn't influence anything to come at all.

It is definitely just "world building" by fans, or fan fiction as it's also known. And I don't mind fan fiction either, but I think this misses the point of the subject.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

let's spend the next several pages arguing whether or not jojen paste is real

personally, i think it is very badass, therefore it is real to me

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

romanowski posted:

let's spend the next several pages arguing whether or not jojen paste is real

personally, i think it is very badass, therefore it is real to me

Well in the show he is now in fact Jojen paste...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Jojen ash. Jojen protein powder.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
At least Jojen paste or Daario = Euron might actually matter once GRRM dies and someone finishes the books.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I think Tywin's corpse smelled so bad so cersi and Jamie could have even grosser incest sex next to their dead rotting dad just to underline how messed up and gross the lannisters truly are. It was just a wacky grrm way of getting the reader all disgusting on the same level he writes meal porn

It's like his opus of queasy synesthesia

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 7, 2016

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

last thought: at least Tywin will poo poo himself to death.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

TommyGun85 posted:

last thought: at least Tywin will poo poo himself to death.

Opposite of that!

:hist101:

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Bran will probably eat Meera paste this season instead :henget:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

steakmancer posted:

Bran will probably eat Meera paste this season instead :henget:

He'll eat Dany paste

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

S6E1 is titled 'The Red Woman'.

Synopsis: "Jon Snow is dead. Daenerys meets a strong man. Cersei sees her daughter again."

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 7, 2016

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Ros resurrection confirmed.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

You're kind of missing the purpose here. It's just a neat bit of non-essential world-building encased in a little puzzle hidden in the writing. It doesn't end up mattering to the plot, but it adds a little something to Oberyn's character to those that work it out or hear about it on the forums, and it provides a nice answer to the minor question of why Tywin's corpse might be putrefying. It makes the world feel a little more realistic to have these details, too, because everything doesn't always end up being meaningful or fully explained in real life, either. If you miss it, then you miss a minor detail of a minor character unimportant to the main plot, but it certainly exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm highly annoyed by how modern and synthetic those gloves look.

• Locked thread