Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
George Osborne 'stealth tax' could cost half a million workers £1,000 each

quote:

Half a million British workers could lose out on hundreds of pounds a year under a “stealth tax” coming in on Wednesday which was not announced in George Osborne’s Budget.

Union leaders said the changes would see construction workers, supply teachers and distribution centre workers, among other professions, denied the right to claim tax relief on necessary travel, food and accommodation expenses.

The rule change, among a number coming into effect on 6 April, will see the Treasury rake in an additional £150 million a year, the Government said.

Also, lol:

https://twitter.com/rowenamason/status/718039660346417152

https://twitter.com/bbcmartynoates/status/718040551778553857

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/718040113213808640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

Wait do we openly hate the working class for being traitors to themselves and big dumb racists who have stupid faces? Or do we admire them for their plucky attitude and down to the earth outlooks? Who are we fighting for again? How many teams are there? FF on?
We are the working class aren't we? Unless there's anyone here making most of their money from capital interests rather than their labor. Bigots come in all classes.

Regarde Aduck posted:

edit: What is wrong with JFairfax lately?
The Pope said his sleeper agent activation words during his Vatican Radio address a couple weeks ago.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

This is bad for Corbyn.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Tl;dr: hardship makes you happier. This is all for your own good, proles! :wotwot:

Some of them literally believe this too. One of my friends who lives in actual semi-poverty posted on facebook how the removal of one of their benefits had been good for them, because it had forced them to reorganise their life and find other means of income and how people should stop complaining. :facepalm:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

The Pope said his sleeper agent activation words during his Vatican Radio address a couple weeks ago.

The Pope said "drink vodka"?

Seriously, JFairfax drunkposts so much you'd think he was in the Scotpol thread.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Lord of the Llamas posted:

This is bad for Corbyn.

"David Cameron doesn't answer a single question at press event. Should Corbyn resign?"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Wait do we openly hate the working class for being traitors to themselves and big dumb racists who have stupid faces? Or do we admire them for their plucky attitude and down to the earth outlooks? Who are we fighting for again? How many teams are there? FF on?

edit: What is wrong with JFairfax lately?

Well in regards to racism it's often down to lack of education so you can argue it comes full circle to the poor treatment of the working class being the cause.

What does working class even mean in today's society?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

What does working class even mean in today's society?

The same thing it always meant - those who are forced to continually sell their labour to survive.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Oberleutnant posted:

The same thing it always meant - those who are forced to continually sell their labour to survive.

So what's middle class?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

So what's middle class?

a divisive lie

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

So what's middle class?
People who benefit from a mixture of capital and labor income. The petite bourgeoisie, those who buy to let to supplement their income, or who receive a significant sum of their income from investments.

The previous Tory attempt to create a 'shareholding democracy' and the current one to make more people self employed is a deliberate attempt to muddy these waters, if someone gets a few quid in dividends or is their own boss on below median wage but they hire an accountant once every year then they're practically middle class, right? They can't be mad at the people who do the same thing wholesale. (This is alongside the main goal of both of these programs, which is 1. More money for us 2. gently caress you.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mega Comrade posted:

So what's middle class?

An attempt to divide the working class to reduce solidarity

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fans posted:

I think their point is valid . "The EU is a bit poo poo, but do you think we'd actually have the worker and consumer rights we have now if we'd let Tony Blair and Cameron do it instead?"

Barry Foster posted:

It's not a well put together argument so it reads as a bit abrupt, but his point is perfectly valid. I'm struggling with the exact same concerns. Which will be harder to get out from under in the future? Or rather, which is likely to last longest? The EU in its present shithouse form, or the upcoming 1000 year Tory Reich? Which will ultimately be worse?

Oh I know he has a valid point, it's just a hilariously bad way to frame an article since people tend to only read the first three paragraphs. He should have opened stronger.

Jose posted:

reminder that there are posters itt who are planning on voting to leave who naively think that if it happens the tories won't use it to get out of the european convention of human rights as soon as possible to implement their own version

Isn't the Good Friday Agreement what throws a spanner in the leaving-the-ECHR works?

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I propose we allow Essex and Kent to secede from the UK.

Don't forget Surrey.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

reminder that there are posters itt who are planning on voting to leave who naively think that if it happens the tories won't use it to get out of the european convention of human rights as soon as possible to implement their own version
Their own version that doesn't mean that cases can be taken to the ECoHR? How would that work?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

Their own version that doesn't mean that cases can be taken to the ECoHR? How would that work?

if we have a human rights act that explicitly allows war crimes then the whole thing isn't a problem - torysay

-also the actual plan of Gove, I thought we already covered this in the thread?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Apparently the 'greenest government ever' has decided it can make do without a climate change envoy. Never mind, I'm sure we'll sort the climate out once all this tax business is out of the way.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Isn't the Good Friday Agreement what throws a spanner in the leaving-the-ECHR works?

And the Scotland Act. It's the legitimate actual constitutional crisis they for some reason don't like to mention.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

if we have a human rights act that explicitly allows war crimes then the whole thing isn't a problem - torysay

-also the actual plan of Gove, I thought we already covered this in the thread?
I was going to say "I'm not sure even Gove would be stupid enough to push through something that would risk destroying the Union and also have no effect on a higher court" but he probably would. Then the Lords would laugh and use it as toilet paper, then it would end up being kicked into the long grass.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I was going to say "I'm not sure even Gove would be stupid enough to push through something that would risk destroying the Union and also have no effect on a higher court" but he probably would. Then the Lords would laugh and use it as toilet paper, then it would end up being kicked into the long grass.

he is.

e; forgot to add for anyone who doesn't fancy reading a guardian comment piece, the scrapping of the human rights act was a part of the Tory manifesto in 2015.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But that will have no effect on the ability to actually take cases to the ECtHR though. I thought the whole point of the HRA was to be able to be in compliance with and deal with human rights issues without necessitating going to the ECtHR. Even if he does succeed in scrapping it, which as above would be a legitimate constitutional crisis and a terrible idea, people could still take human rights cases to there.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, we get what we vote for. Majority of the country voted for "gently caress this" and the Tories are obliging.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

But that will have no effect on the ability to actually take cases to the ECtHR though. I thought the whole point of the HRA was to be able to be in compliance with and deal with human rights issues without necessitating going to the ECtHR. Even if he does succeed in scrapping it, which as above would be a legitimate constitutional crisis and a terrible idea, people could still take human rights cases to there.

so that brings the following questions, how is the ECHR jurisdiction structured, and what legislative contigencies do the EU have for states leaving?

Without claiming to be well-read on the totality of binding agreements we have with the EU I don't see how we could, in the circumstance of Leave, actually remove ourselves from EU juresdiction and agreements entirely. It doesn't seem reasonable to assume we could simply moonwalk out of the Hague and suddenly enact the full and Orwellian glory of Tory britain. And if we could, then would this take the trade deals with it?

The Leave campaign seems to be trying to have it's cake and eat it between claims of UK-final jurisdiction and a lack of trade impact, which seem mutually exclusive to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The thing that a lot of both Remain and Leave seem to be missing is that that the ECtHR and the EU are largely separate things. Leave are saying 'once we leave the EU, we can finally get rid of all those human rights and sell ourselves into indentured servitude' and Remain are saying 'if we leave the EU then Gove/whoever will instantly eat all our human rights'. Which they might want to, but unless the UK is going to be the only country in the continent other than Belarus to leave the ECtHR, that's not going to happen.

Galloway would probably provide cross party support for that though, so we can get better trade links and photo ops with Lukashenko.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I don't really think this belongs here but I want to share it anyway

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769585&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post458383919

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

After dodging questions from the press Pigfucker got heckled by a student during a campaign session http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/07/david-cameron-teased-exeter-student-fathers-tax-affairs-panama-papers

Keeping the pressure up :twisted:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I am working class but I also bought an iMac. Now I don't know who I am anymore.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

I don't really think this belongs here but I want to share it anyway

[link]

He was fuckbarreled over it in D&D chat thread, but importing forums drama earned me a probie last time. Probs best to remove it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
This thread, like the City of London, has its own rules and the mods better drat respect that. I know this because my dad works at nintendo.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Don't think I've seen the Tory local cuts calculator posted yet.

A handy comparison of how your postcode is getting shafted, compared to Cameron's constituency.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Prince John posted:

Don't think I've seen the Tory local cuts calculator posted yet.

A handy comparison of how your postcode is getting shafted, compared to Cameron's constituency.

It would be great if this could be used without being required to give your name and address. Why does everything have to be a data mining exercise? :/

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pesmerga posted:

It would be great if this could be used without being required to give your name and address. Why does everything have to be a data mining exercise? :/

It can. Just lie.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It really excites me for some peculiar reason to discover that there are still Stalin apologists in TYOOL 2016. It shouldn't, it's clearly not a good thing. But I can't help but be tickled by the absurdity of it.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Blairites have found the one weird trick to solve offshore tax issues and make the wealthy eager to pay taxes: Scrapping inheritance tax.

Polly Toynbee posted:

now is the time for Labour to declare it will abolish inheritance tax altogether. The argument is lost, the public’s ears are blocked. Although people overwhelmingly say the country is too unequal, Ipsos Mori finds 70% hate IHT, calling it “unfair”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
British Public Wrong About Almost Everything, Survey Shows.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

dispatch_async posted:

Blairites have found the one weird trick to solve offshore tax issues and make the wealthy eager to pay taxes: Scrapping inheritance tax.

"The amount of free money I get isn't big enough! It's not fair!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Kaislioc posted:

And the Scotland Act. It's the legitimate actual constitutional crisis they for some reason don't like to mention.

Leave campaigners (and the Venn diagram of "People who want to repeal the HRA" and "People who want to leave the EU" is a circle within a circle with only a few lefties muttering about strange bedfellows in the outer area) airily say that amendment of the HRA and a bit of legislative sleight-of-hand is all that's needed.

Meanwhile lawyers are already looking at what they'll be able to buy with the proceeds of that happening, and are thinking probably "Australia".

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pesmerga posted:

just put in weedlord bonerhitler like the rest of us

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Regarde Aduck posted:

This thread, like the City of London, has its own rules and the mods better drat respect that. I know this because my dad works at nintendo.

I hope our special relationship with America[n moderators] can continue. Even if in practice that just means they pretty much never come in here and/or overlook the volume of our shitpost exports.

In tangentially related news, I checked the main forums list to see who's modding D&D these days; Vilerat's name is still on there, and now I'm sad. :rip:

Related to that, did we stop permabanning dead goons as a matter of policy? When did that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

He was fuckbarreled over it in D&D chat thread, but importing forums drama earned me a probie last time. Probs best to remove it.

i just wanted to post something i found funny

• Locked thread