Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

They could also conceivably improve, though; what if, rather than "attract small amounts of fire", the quirks combined to become proper pyrokinesis? It's still the essence of both abilities, and there's no reason the quirks have to get worse necessarily; after all, Todoroki's quirk is superior to Endeavor's and his mother's. The quirks may get weirder, but that doesn't mean they're going to become meaningless or bizarre over time. For everyone, at least; obviously some people will wind up with lackluster quirks, or none at all, but that's how it is already.

while it is possible to get a mutated improved quirk i do believe the doctor said that quirks were getting weaker in general each generation. but yeah i like the idea thathad deku inherited his quirk he would have gotten pyromancy or maybe some ability to create rad fire armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

LostRook posted:

I thought it was interesting that the anime made it more explicit that the ice girl in the opening is probably related to Todoroki. Makes me wonder if the the chubby telekinetic is going to show up at some point.

I think I missed this, do you have a screenshot?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

She looks a lot like Todoroki's mom and uses her power very similarly to Todoroki's ice armor he sometimes wears, along with her quirk visibly giving her frost over her hair + skin while using it like Todoroki's does.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Elfgames posted:

while it is possible to get a mutated improved quirk i do believe the doctor said that quirks were getting weaker in general each generation. but yeah i like the idea thathad deku inherited his quirk he would have gotten pyromancy or maybe some ability to create rad fire armor.

Rewatched that scene, and there wasn't any kind of indication of quirks getting weaker. He just asked if Deku's mom was a fourth generation quirk haver. Probably because somebody who came from a line of people with quirks would be slightly more likely to know that the early research showed that people with quirks didn't have the two toe joints. And could also easily verify it (if it still held) by looking at herself and any family with quirks.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
If two quirkless people have a kid, is the kid quirkless? Quirks suddenly started appearing in children one day, so the resulting kid might get a random quirk, or be quirkless, or maybe being quirkless is a condition that suppresses a quirk rather than remove it entirely and they'll inherit a quirk from their parents that was simply not activated.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Slime posted:

If two quirkless people have a kid, is the kid quirkless? Quirks suddenly started appearing in children one day, so the resulting kid might get a random quirk, or be quirkless, or maybe being quirkless is a condition that suppresses a quirk rather than remove it entirely and they'll inherit a quirk from their parents that was simply not activated.

Quirks are X genes and the world of My Hero Academia takes place in the far future after Professor Xavier succeeded in getting homo sapiens sapiens and homo sapiens superior to live in harmony.

Remember that the world of quirks officially starts with a baby born glowing, which doesn't mean people didn't have non-obvious from birth powers before.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Quirks seem very much like the X-Gene, in that two supers can have a super baby with either, both, or neither of the parents' powers. It's all very fuzzy and story-driven, in the "son of Reed and Sue Richards being a godlike reality warper apropos of nothing" sort of way.

Forget it, Jake. It's comic books.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Korean scans out.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

Quirks are X genes and the world of My Hero Academia takes place in the far future after Professor Xavier succeeded in getting homo sapiens sapiens and homo sapiens superior to live in harmony.

Remember that the world of quirks officially starts with a baby born glowing, which doesn't mean people didn't have non-obvious from birth powers before.

I always thought it was just Homo Sapian and Homo Superior?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Quirks or no, at the end of the day, we're all homos.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

gnome7 posted:

She looks a lot like Todoroki's mom and uses her power very similarly to Todoroki's ice armor he sometimes wears, along with her quirk visibly giving her frost over her hair + skin while using it like Todoroki's does.

I'm not sure if it's frost on the hair or just a weird aspect to the mutation. Todoroki's mom has pure white hair while his sibling's have flecks of red in their white hair. Todoroki himself has half white and half red hair signaling him as the "perfect" synthesis of his parents powers.. It seems to be a mutation derived from the quirk.

It's preferable to being a skin-rock monster like Kouda, anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ConanThe3rd posted:

I always thought it was just Homo Sapian and Homo Superior?

Regular humans are Homo Sapiens Sapiens, however in general use the second sapiens is dropped for redundancy since we're the only Hominid around, let alone Homo Sapiens. However if you're talking about 2 different hominids of the Homo Sapiens family, you've kind of gotta use Sapiens Sapiens.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kouda looks really freaky and his quirk kinda sucks for heroics. He can't even use it for search and rescue because he doesn't communicate with animals, he just commands them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Kouda looks really freaky and his quirk kinda sucks for heroics. He can't even use it for search and rescue because he doesn't communicate with animals, he just commands them.

I thought his power was just "talks to animals" and they help him out when he asks because they're all just pretty nice guys.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

It seems like the students and heroes are going to two different buildings, I'm pretty sure one of them is walking into a trap.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
How can that be, though? Aren't they both following the same tracking beacon?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

HellCopter posted:

How can that be, though? Aren't they both following the same tracking beacon?
The Noumus appear to be stored elsewhere, and the noumu from the training camp is what the tracer is stuck to.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Bah. This is why this thread languishes in my bookmarks.

Massive piles of blacked out text.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cool

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

The Noumus appear to be stored elsewhere, and the noumu from the training camp is what the tracer is stuck to.

Oh hey, I called it right this time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
For real though, it probably wouldn't kill anybody to hold off for 24 hours while we wait for the actual translations to hit.

Not a huge deal but something to consider. We've had weird tangents before where worried speculation informed entirely by Korean scans was proven false once the English version came out.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Maaan, I'm a needy one. "Don't post huge spoiler images beneath the chapter!" in one thread, "why is everyone using spoiler tags, waaaaaah!" in another thread.

I'm beginning to think I'm just a big crybaby.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Nah, it's an issue I've been meaning to address for awhile.

I get that people are hyped and can't wait for the next chapter, but it can be a bit off-putting. Still ultimately harmless though so I'm not gonna slap anybody for it or anything, I'm just suggesting we could do to move away from it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah I'm just giving myself poo poo.

(Still stoked for the English tl though. I want to try to like this thread again and not just go "oh, piles of spoiler text. Meh, next.")

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My favorite thing about the anime opening is that everyone gets cool poses during the title card and then mineta is like five feet away from the camera just giving a weak thumbs up

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Ashido's is my new background.

It was a tough choice between her and hagakure, but yeah. (Hagakure's is great)

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Chapter up on MS

KoB
May 1, 2009
Oh man, that cool Orca dude from Horikoshi's zoo manga is a hero. Thats rad, his design was cool as hell.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

KoB posted:

Oh man, that cool Orca dude from Horikoshi's zoo manga is a hero. Thats rad, his design was cool as hell.

That made me incredibly happy. I hope all the animals are dropped in here as heroes. Every single one.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bad Seafood posted:

For real though, it probably wouldn't kill anybody to hold off for 24 hours while we wait for the actual translations to hit.

Not a huge deal but something to consider. We've had weird tangents before where worried speculation informed entirely by Korean scans was proven false once the English version came out.

Actual translations usually hit almost immediately on 4chan though. There's a guy who translates it straight from the Korean.

gently caress reading it like that way most of the time, but next chapter looks like its gonna be poo poo HAPPENS: THE HAPPENING. I might break down.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 8, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So Hands is going to try and steal Bakugou's quirk?

Also, All Might just pulled in someone even closer to retirement than himself. Be careful Gran Torino.

He's totally going to die in front of Deku while All Might dies in front of Bakugou.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So does this mean the cop can't be Blackmist? I suppose there could be some timeline trickery to throw us off.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LostRook posted:

So does this mean the cop can't be Blackmist? I suppose there could be some timeline trickery to throw us off.

Remember there's a dude who can make copies of people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LostRook posted:

Twice exists.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Aw yeah. About to get some Mt. Lady action.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Wait, what did I miss, why would blackmist be a cop?

I thought he just chilled behind the bar and polished glasses when off-panel.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Bleremiah posted:

Wait, what did I miss, why would blackmist be a cop?

I thought he just chilled behind the bar and polished glasses when off-panel.

There are comparison panels where the two of them wear similar clothes and have similar builds (which is to say average adult male). Also the fact that he's besties with All Might would give him an "in" as the spy that's been feeding the villains info. That's been the popular theory, anyway.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
whaaa?
That's lame, hope it isn't the case.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

whaaa?
That's lame, hope it isn't the case.

Due to blackmist being a teleporter and Twice existing, that theory is impossible to disprove even if they are at completely different places at the time, so clearly it must be true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Twice's quirk is ridiculous so it probably has some major restrictions. Like it probably has a range limit.