Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Technically aren't they all aliens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

homullus posted:

Yeah, I was expecting more . . . Bothans. Or, you know, any.

That was the other Death Star

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bothan stole the Second Death Star plans, not the first!

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

homullus posted:

Yeah, I was expecting more . . . Bothans. Or, you know, any.

Yeah at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they retconned Bothans into "just slightly different humans" because weird dog men might be too weird for the masses. Though this film is about the first Death Star no? So actually there's no reason for them to appear.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not a retcon if bothans turn out to be human.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pretty sure Bothans steal Death Star plans as a means of reaching adulthood. To not steal any plans pertaining to Death Stars is seen as a huge dishonour to many Bothans.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Slugworth posted:

In fairness, we don't know what a bothan looks like. Maybe Mon Mothma is a Bothan. Sounds like a Bothan name.

Bon Bothma

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

El Burbo posted:

Bothan stole the Second Death Star plans, not the first!
Oh right. I get my death stars mixed up.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Holy poo poo - you really do have Lucas' cock firmly up your own rear end. Dude, you write some good poo poo but the Lucas fanboyism is way to strong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lucas funded the entire multimillion dollar production of TESB with his own money so he'd only have himself to answer to creatively. If TESB failed his company would have been bankrupted and he would have been finished. It almost happened that way.

He took a huge unnecessary risk that could have ruined his entire career just so he could have total creative independence. And then he made a movie that was about as far from being like the original movie as possible, where a significant portion of the run-time is occupied by the main character talking about religion with a little green puppet in a middle of a swamp.

If I'm a Lucas fanboy, it's because Lucas is an interesting figure and, in many ways, an admirable person, and I respect him for it. There are not many artists like him living today, who have managed to be so successful even while retaining these qualities. The fact that in certain vocal corners of our culture he's instead come to be overwhelmingly reviled as a money-grubbing hack with no artistic integrity does make me slightly defensive of him.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Slugworth posted:

In fairness, we don't know what a bothan looks like. Maybe Mon Mothma is a Bothan. Sounds like a Bothan name.

Having just watched tfa last night I think there was one in the resistance base and one on the new republic planet

But that assumes they are still furry looking with weird faces cause I think that originally came from the three now not actually sequel novels

Someone do links or screenshots I'm on a phone

Also I don't wanna

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
maybe Bothnia is the name of the tropical planet and the whole movie is just an allegory of the Bosnian War

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
RE: Death Star II plans, I thought Dash Rendar stole them, and Bothan spies (died) bringing them back to Rebel Command...

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The tropical planet makes me think of that place in Mass Effect where you drive around on the beach in the perfectly controlled MAKO vehicle, and then you kill some no-good grumpy alien on your squad who is messing up your mission.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Terry Grunthouse posted:

maybe Bothnia is the name of the tropical planet and the whole movie is just an allegory of the Bosnian War

Bothnia's in Sweden. It is neither tropical, nor occupied by aliens. Mon Mothma is a bit ginger for a Swede, but appropriately tall, white, and stately for our Space Nordic masters. More Rebellion racism, sickening

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It's Bothans all the way down

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Bothans are the elite infiltration units of the Rebellion

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
Bot Hans are just the droid versions of Han Solo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tuxedo Jack posted:

RE: Death Star II plans, I thought Dash Rendar stole them, and Bothan spies (died) bringing them back to Rebel Command...

Dash Rendar doesn't exist anymore.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wonder if this could be the first Star Wars movie without lightsabres in it.

Probably not because there will undoubtedly be a Vader cameo. Which will be revealed in the trailers.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's probably because the Rebellion starts as Bail Organa saying to his buddies "Let's gently caress up the Empire."

Turns out most of his buddies with enough independence to do stuff are human since he comes from Alderaan.

Then, when they're able to liberate more non-human planets they welcome those guys aboard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pablo Gigante posted:

Being able to tell nerds "nope, that literally isn't a thing any more" is the best part of Disney taking over Star Wars.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The many tears shed over the non-existance of the Extended Universe has brought me many moments of joy in my otherwise joyless life.

The moment I realized that Clone-Palpatine was non-canon, I forgave Disney for everything they've ever done ever.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Well, they recanonize EU stuff on Rebels from time to time. It's not out of the question that some of those characters get reintroduced.

Prior to the excising of Legends from the canon, I always assumed it was Rendar who stole the plans and the Bothans who brought them to the Rebels. That's all I was saying - not trying to start a "this did or didn't happen" debate - if it's Legends it's not movie canon, I'm aware.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not a retcon if bothans turn out to be human.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've yet to see an image of a furry dog Bothan that isn't laughable. And I've looked. I dread the day they try to put that awful design in the films.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The Bothans were the ones who found out about the second Death Star, not the first one. Get your Death Stars right, people!

Also, on one hand I think it's cool how we're getting some actor continuity for certain character, but on the other it's sort of strange seeing this woman who is ten years older than she was in RotS play a character who's about 20 years older than she was in RotS. But ultimately it's cool they did it and I hope the JEJ rumors are true as well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mon Mothma's good friend Manny Bahthans.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Entropic posted:

Being able to tell nerds "nope, that literally isn't a thing any more" is the best part of Disney taking over Star Wars.

I mean...Dash is still a thing in the Legends continuity.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

Lucas funded the entire multimillion dollar production of TESB with his own money so he'd only have himself to answer to creatively. If TESB failed his company would have been bankrupted and he would have been finished. It almost happened that way.

He took a huge unnecessary risk that could have ruined his entire career just so he could have total creative independence. And then he made a movie that was about as far from being like the original movie as possible, where a significant portion of the run-time is occupied by the main character talking about religion with a little green puppet in a middle of a swamp.

If I'm a Lucas fanboy, it's because Lucas is an interesting figure and, in many ways, an admirable person, and I respect him for it. There are not many artists like him living today, who have managed to be so successful even while retaining these qualities. The fact that in certain vocal corners of our culture he's instead come to be overwhelmingly reviled as a money-grubbing hack with no artistic integrity does make me slightly defensive of him.

It's worth noting that self-funding also gave him exclusive access to the money generated by the movie.

And that he wasn't so happy with the end result of ESB and snapped back big time with ROTJ with a director that would do what he was told.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If we are to only go with the movies, Bothans may just be a Rebel callsign for their Special Forces. Might not be a race at all.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Mothman's Mom.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I think that the real problem here that everyone is ignoring is that we have another unrealistically strong female character in the lead role.

Women can't be strong and cool, it's against the rules.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

BigglesSWE posted:

The many tears shed over the non-existance of the Extended Universe has brought me many moments of joy in my otherwise joyless life.

I need Han to fight a ferret again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jivjov posted:

I mean...Dash is still a thing in the Legends continuity.

I don't know what that is and I'm glad I don't have to.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Trailer looked awesome, can't wait to see this movie. Really intrigued by Forest Whitaker's character, his lines were pretty interesting and his costume was very unorthodox. Bounty hunter, perhaps?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

feedmyleg posted:

I've yet to see an image of a furry dog Bothan that isn't laughable. And I've looked. I dread the day they try to put that awful design in the films.

I thought maybe that one alien pilot in TFA (not Nien Nunb) was a Bothan

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Deakul posted:

I think that the real problem here that everyone is ignoring is that we have another unrealistically strong female character in the lead role.

Women can't be strong and cool, it's against the rules.

Yeah but it's getting a bit heavy-handed.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Pablo Gigante posted:

The Outrider still does though, if nothing else.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ammanas posted:

All will be set right with the Han Solo movie. He just gonna bro around the universe, murdering dudes and slaying exotic tang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ammanas posted:

Seriously, every time I turn around, the gender representing over half the population gets closer and closer to being 10% of the strong roles. Somebody needs to start showing some restraint.

• Locked thread